Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys from your youth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I had a remote control army tank...except the wire was still connected to it. :o I still loved it, because we were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Had this as a kid which really dates me. Bought it with my confirmation haul:

product-110962.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Had the Lego Action Man Britains scale farm models Action Force/Cobra figures and 2 electronic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Jurassic Park/Lost World toys and various merch.

Also Godzilla 1998 puppet and figure; I have an obsession with monster films...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Tinkertoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I threw all my toys out of the pram!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had a fantastic stick.
    I loved that stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

TCR cars. Scaletrix cars stayed on the same track but the TCR could switch track. One dummy car as a moving roadblock and two people racing. Brought it out of my mam’s home and it’s in my attic. Needed a lot of care. Needs a power supply at minimum now.

This is the exact same one I have

[url] https://m.ebay.ie/itm/283654782324?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/5282-53468-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10039&campid=5338471299&customid=101_219_138&item=283654782324&vectorid=229543&lgeo=1&srcrot=5282-53468-19255-0&rvr_id=2372600047004&rvr_ts=730ced541710a6e5b423a436ff61addc&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true[/url][url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭garyskeepers

Had the Lego Action Man Britains scale farm models Action Force/Cobra figures and 2 electronic games.

that last one was the best game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

A few highlights:

- Tomy Aurora AFX Daredevil Rally with extra track for chicanes, hairpin curve, crossover, narrowing track and a drift curve. Also had the electronic control station and the Castrol Jaguar XJR-9 with lights. Had enough track for a Le Mans layout.

- LEGO 7745 High-Speed City Express Passenger Train Set with the controller, track lights, points, lots of extra track. I had a large layout on my bedroom floor, going under the bed, wardrobe etc.

- Never had any pirate or castle LEGO, had some space but mainly lots of technic

- ZX Spectrum 48k then later Amiga 500 Plus then later an Amiga 1200 with lots of games and a Sega Game Gear at some point

• Advertisement

I could never see the point of lego where it was just a kit and you made it. Much preferred the bucket of bricks aimed at making whatever you want. Which is odd really, as I have zero imagination as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,180 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I very nearly threw out one daughter's box full of polly pockets but then decided to keep them for when the grandchildren came. I didn't realise what a huge hit they would be with one of them, she was aghast at the idea that they had nearly been thrown out.

And the big bucket of lego, none of your pirate ships or space stations, just a vast quantity of 'two-ers' and 'sixers' and so on. With the old rule we had, you make something, it is preserved till the following day then if anyone wants the bits they can take it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This Fisher Price garage was my favourite thing as a child.

DdBQ_PhV0AAAqVb.jpg

Every house in the country seemed to have one of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I had a Gameboy. And was mad into Tetris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Surprised to see no mention of Transformers or He-Man, they were my favourites.
    My bike was a Raleigh mini burner but I wanted a Vektar so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone have those toys that was like star wars but not star wars.
    They had a red plane and a grey base camp toy.
    Lods of little purple figures that looked like storm troopers.
    It was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I remember buying a game boy and being really disappointed by it. I’d wanted a sega game gear because you could play sonic on it and they were in color too. They were mad expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Panthro wrote: »
    Anyone have those toys that was like star wars but not star wars.
    They had a red plane and a grey base camp toy.
    Lods of little purple figures that looked like storm troopers.
    It was deadly.

Was it Action Force - which few years later linked up with GI Joe?
    The figures were same size as Star Wars figures.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I asked Santa for star wars toys and got Action Force ones. Fekin loved them all the same https://images.app.goo.gl/EisPcNRiLjs4JTr27

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Lego, tons of it.
    Meccano
    Action Man, with loads of gear
    Airfix models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

smokingman wrote: »
    I asked Santa for star wars toys and got Action Force ones. Fekin loved them all the same https://images.app.goo.gl/EisPcNRiLjs4JTr27

I loved the ActionForce ones ... reading the tie in comic Battle Action Force was the one of highlights of my schoolboy week. My Dad would pick it up in Easons on Thursdays I think.

Loved this one...
    2afstalker.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Different trend every Christmas

http://starcomhq.com/starfleet_pop.html Was one of the favourite

Teenage mutant ninja turtles, mask and bravestar

Lights alive!! https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tomy-lights-alive-695405316

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

matchthis wrote: »
    Different trend every Christmas

http://starcomhq.com/starfleet_pop.html Was one of the favourite

Teenage mutant ninja turtles, mask (only ever got the figures) and bravestar

I’d totally forgotten bravestar. Loved that show and had a few of the toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Dad got to play with the flight deck after he put it together one Christmas, I got to play with the box ...
    Looking back I think I got the better deal.

superflightdeck002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Strumms wrote: »
    I remember buying a game boy and being really disappointed by it. I’d wanted a sega game gear because you could play sonic on it and they were in color too. They were mad expensive though.

My cousin had sonic the hedgehog. It was class.

Windup toys

Zoids. I had a small windup one. You made it a la Airfix.
    A small paper comic strip featuring zoids accompanied it.

A key car which you inserted a spring loaded hey and release it made in Macau.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Spike comic:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

We all remember the toys inside cereal packets, GOD they were the best thing ever. I remember getting up early so i'd have first crack at opening the new box just to get first chance of it falling out (they were the rules!). More often than not you'd just shove your filthy mitt right down to the bottom of the box and grab the toy, war ensuing moments later.

Or the tokens you could cut off the box and send away for an even better toy, like the Rice Krispies zapper:

CQZQLgLWUAA-NcC.jpg

I still remember the other sh1te you'd send off for the odd time, I still think we have a characterized plastic figurine of Fatima Whitbread and Dennis Taylor somewhere! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I wasn’t allowed play with toys but I loved the Commando comics when I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Anyone remember this from around 1986/7:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Magic

Rubiksmagic.jpg

Advertisement