Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys from your youth

Options
  • 12-04-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭

i used love those soldiers you made in casts with molten hot lead, epic fun nowadays the health and safety officer would pass out.
    me dad gave us some lead from roof left over again not so safe lol anyway favourite toy and why..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭St Tropez Betty

i used love those soldiers you made in casts with molten hot lead, epic fun nowadays the health and safety officer would pass out.
    me dad gave us some lead from roof left over again not so safe lol anyway favourite toy and why..

Lolo balls. Two broken ankles and my mam wouldnt accept that they were unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The A team van that youd load on to a key and release it at speed slomg the floor

Those planes you bought that were like thin aeroboard and you had to shove the wings through the body.
    Matchbox cars with a set of roads and all.
    Subbuteo.
    Cap guns.
    Commodore 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I made up those Prince August Napoleonic lead\tin soliders, was half terrified every time!

Then there's Subbuteo... and similar 'hardware' type games like Crossbows and Catapults:

img_3950.jpg?w=600&h=600

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Lolo balls. Two broken ankles and my mam wouldnt accept that they were unsafe.

Still making Lola balls, Smyth's generic ones 9.99😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I used to love spud guns , fire potato pellets and also a water pistol. Just found out they still are making them
    https://gadgetman.ie/home/1331-original-metal-spud-gun-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://youtu.be/I7H2L3c--xA

Star Bird.

I just played and played with this. I still
    Have it in it’s original box in my loft.

https://youtu.be/0EDpsZQ98sI

Armateon was a close second.
    Also in the loft in its box. It was great fun for lifting and moving matchbox cars too.

The Scalextric racing track that would break apart as soon as you set it up. One of the reasons I wasn't destined to become an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For Christmas in 1982 Santy brought me a load of Star Wars gear, had The Millenium Falcon, Snowspeeder, troop transporter, TaunTan and dozens of figures, ok not all were for christmas but i saved up to buy some.

Played them to death and kept them in amazing condition, and in their boxes.

2yrs ago i went back to Wales on a regular visit and my dad asked me if i wanted to take my old toys back with me.

Every one of them was there, still in the box, i'm gonna get them out next week and play Star Wars with my little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

And here they are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Bayko building set shown here
    buildings were created by sticking wire spikes into a base then sliding bricks between them. Somewhere between lego and meccano, but when the brickless spikes were set in the base, on the floor, you could do yourself serious injury if you fell onto them. Certainly not allowed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭This is it

Peg gun. 2ft of 2x1, 2 nails, a peg and a few elastic bands. Some craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

t's safe to say that if you went back in time to my childhood with a smartphone, my Raleigh Chopper, Subbuteo and Panini albums would have been in the bin before you could say nostalgic middle-age internet whimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Allinall

Meccano set.

Kept me occupied for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Boot skates. Had to wait months till my 10th birthday to get them. I was braver than I should've been and within a couple of days was attempting to skate down the fairly steep hill of our estate.

Was cautious enough though to go on the hunkers. Little did I know that my poor backside would be used (unintentionally) as brakes before I reached the "bottom" of the hill. Scraped to smithereens but totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Allinall wrote: »
    Meccano set.

Kept me occupied for years.

Ah that was class

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I made up those Prince August Napoleonic lead\tin soliders, was half terrified every time!

Then there's Subbuteo... and similar 'hardware' type games like Crossbows and Catapults:

img_3950.jpg?w=600&h=600

Ahhhh yess! What a great game that was. I found most of it when I was last back home sorting out old boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

t's safe to say that if you went back in time to my childhood with a smartphone, my Raleigh Chopper, Subbuteo and Panini albums would have been in the bin before you could say nostalgic middle-age internet whimsy.

A smart phone wouldn’t be much good back in the 80’s. No internet connectivity for a start.

A smart phone wouldn’t be much good back in the 80’s. No internet connectivity for a start.

Thanks Rodney. What was I thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

A Raleigh Chopper.... I entered every competition I could to win one as We we’re just piss poor! Only one lad in town had one and pestered him every day for a spin on it.

Would nearly buy one know just to leave it in my sitting room to look at it every day to remind me of those innocent days

Masala wrote: »
    A Raleigh Chopper.... I entered every competition I could to win one as We we’re just piss poor! Only one lad in town had one and pestered him every day for a spin on it.

Would nearly buy one know just to leave it in my sitting room to look at it every day to remind me of those innocent days

Had one as a kid. Even looking at them now, the design still looks brilliant. There was a mini version called a Tomahawk for really young kids.

The Grifter was brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Not very smart :D

Meanwhile,. Evil Knievel. The windup bike. I never had one (sob) but my friend had 2. And a ZX Spectrum 48k.

We had loads of Matchbox cars and Britain's tractors etc.
    I remember buying a matchbox TBird when I was 12. I'd no sooner bought it when I realised that I'd outgrown it. Wrapped them all in tissue a while after and boxed them away. Still have them.

I distinctly remember getting a Garda motorbike (tricycle) when I was 4. Ken Blacks of course. With a go-kart, a tricycle and a Garda motorbike, doing circuits of the kitchen, we drove our poor mother demented :D

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Not very smart :D

I was being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I might just be of an older vintage than other posters judging by the toys. Anyway we used to comandeer the wheels and bottom frame of prams to make gocarts.

The ones with a piece of robe to steer and somebody pushing from behind. Some were open tops and some were a sedan body of sorts. It helped that one of us had a father who was a mechanic/carpenter.

We'd race them on the roads during the summer until someones skull cracked open, then the carts would be confiscated. It was a sad day when they were gone...to this day I don't know what our parents did with them.

But once we'd get our summer holidays the following year we'd start looking for the makings of the simple little carts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No worries, an easy mistake to make. :)

You probably wouldn’t have had a way to charge it either (unless you brought the charger with you). Plus no phone signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

This Fisher Price garage was my favourite thing as a child.

DdBQ_PhV0AAAqVb.jpg

No worries, an easy mistake to make. :)

You probably wouldn’t have had a way to charge it either (unless you brought the charger with you). Plus no phone signal.

Decent smartphone covers were presumably hard to come by too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I was being sarcastic?

And very sensitive.

Smart/thinking? Humour?

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Smart/thinking? Humour?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement