Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think Tony Holohan reported ICU survival rates here are also around 80%, in one of the briefings last week.
    I'd say the standard of care in ICU is much the same between Ireland, UK and Sweden. What differs is probably who is allowed in and maybe the UK are allowing sicker patients in with a lower chance of survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I dont think they have published weekend numbers yet. Any idea of what time they usually do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I mean it could be but 50/50 as opposed to 80/20 survival is a lot to put down to general health/lifestyle. Very few smokers here, that might help. But would have thought those factors are only worth a few percent. It probably also indicates the ICUs in Stockholm are not in a stressed/overwhelmed state.

Sweden is also stricter on who it lets in to ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Danzy wrote: »
    Sweden is also stricter on who it lets in to ICU.

It could be that alright, might account for it. Have you a reference for that ?

[EDIT] I guess I'II just have to put it down to what some fella on the web says (no offence) rather than anything verifiable. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ok in your opinion, do you not think they should be in a lot worse position right now than they are in terms of deaths and people in icu

In my opinion? Of course not.

The reasons for this have been laid out many times in this thread.. Their general standoffish culture, their living arrangements with many low occupancy homes, their population dispersal... The fact that the HAVE taken social actions.
    (Reading some on here you'd think life has continued as normal out there)

However, do I think they have taken strict enough measures soon enough... No I don't. They have serious problems in care homes that they are not divulging. They have practically stopped testing.

If they have less than 20 deaths today and tomorrow, to follow the trend of the last two days then I might change my opinion.... But if they declare high double figures like the previous few days then that will show that their policy continues not to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When the virus raged in northern Italy and Venice closed its carnival then the Swedish newspaper Daily News hired a train that went to Venice.

The train was the paper's way to "prove" you can travel in Europe by train, and all about the climate.

So a Swedish paper wilfully sends 400 people into an area where the local authorities are trying to contain a virus outbreak.

When the train returned to Sweden no-one was tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Also nordic countries have been stockpiling everything needed since ww2.

Citation please?

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Also nordic countries have been stockpiling everything needed since ww2.
    ijohhj wrote: »
    Citation please?
    Not all nordic countries have been stockpiling.
    Sweden burned their masks some years ago
    Several millions of face masks were burned at the government's orders.

Over the course of a few years, Sweden abolished the emergency stocks that have taken decades to build up - and in the corona pandemic the lack of protective equipment has become acute.

- We are glad that we have not done the same thing in Finland, says Tomi Lounema, until recently head of the Finnish Supply Assistance Center.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftonbladet.se%2Fnyheter%2Fa%2FjdErVb%2Fsverige-stangde-beredskapslagren-och-brande-miljoner-ansiktsmasker
    SRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

biko wrote: »
    Not all nordic countries have been stockpiling.
    Sweden burned their masks some years ago

I was intrigued as to what reason one could possibly have to burn PPE and there it was half way through the article:
    "Johan Antus visited the store in 2010. By then many of the masks had become so old that they could no longer be used."

• Advertisement

And
    We considered that it would be time-consuming and complicated to go through the equipment
    and find out which masks could still be used, so we asked the government
    if we could liquidate all of them, says Svante Werger, strategic adviser at MSB.

We never got an answer.

biko wrote: »
    When the virus raged in northern Italy and Venice closed its carnival then the Swedish newspaper Daily News hired a train that went to Venice.

The train was the paper's way to "prove" you can travel in Europe by train, and all about the climate.

So a Swedish paper wilfully sends 400 people into an area where the local authorities are trying to contain a virus outbreak.

When the train returned to Sweden no-one was tested.

Sounds terrible. I'd like to read an article about it, have you a link ? Tried a quick google but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm sure it is true obviously but again if I'm trying to tell someone else about it my options are to give them a link or say I heard some lad on the internet mention it. I know which would make me seem more credible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

sydthebeat wrote: »
    In my opinion? Of course not.

The reasons for this have been laid out many times in this thread.. Their general standoffish culture, their living arrangements with many low occupancy homes, their population dispersal... The fact that the HAVE taken social actions.
    (Reading some on here you'd think life has continued as normal out there)

However, do I think they have taken strict enough measures soon enough... No I don't. They have serious problems in care homes that they are not divulging. They have practically stopped testing.

If they have less than 20 deaths today and tomorrow, to follow the trend of the last two days then I might change my opinion.... But if they declare high double figures like the previous few days then that will show that their policy continues not to work.
    Today's figures from Sweden another indication that they got it right. Avoided the hysteria and implemented sensible measures. Gatherings of up to 50 people allowed etc etc.

Malmo yesterday

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Glenomra wrote: »
    Today's figures from Sweden another indication that they got it right. Avoided the hysteria and implemented sensible measures. Gatherings of up to 50 people allowed etc etc.

Today's figures for Sweden show that their total number of tests remains at 54,700. This has not moved for at least four days.

The number of deaths were rising rapidly and then they stopped testing.

I wonder why you are intent on ignoring the fact that they have stopped testing completely, it would seem.

We have no way of knowing whether they are even letting people into hospitals or not, what the rate of spread is, how many people are dying in the community and in care homes.

The only thing that can be concluded from the figures is that they are lying and concealing the true extent of the problem. There figures are no more credible than China's or Russia's.

Sounds terrible. I'd like to read an article about it, have you a link ? Tried a quick google but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm sure it is true obviously but again if I'm trying to tell someone else about it my options are to give them a link or say I heard some lad on the internet mention it. I know which would make me seem more credible :D
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftonbladet.se%2Fnyheter%2Fa%2FRRwn4x%2Fdn-lasare-akte-tag-till-avstangt-italien
    A train with DN readers recently went to Italy where the corona virus ravages.

The majority of passengers jumped off in the Alps, but 60 of them are currently in the city of Italy where the corona virus is ravaging.

The subscribers went down with a "climate train" with the aim of showing that "trains can be driven to Europe".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Glenomra wrote: »

More deaths per head of population than the USA.

In what way have they got it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont know whats going on in Sweden. Death rate was growing by 50% daily for a while, and was at 125 deaths in a day a few days ago. Now the last two days, just a dozen deaths each day, strange and completely at odds with what occurred in every other country in Europe who all experienced either a linear and consistent number of daily deaths or consistent daily growth and a peak

It is strange is all but I dont like accusing numbers of being 'fake' simply because they are low, as if the only news that can sound genuine is the worst possible news.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont know whats going on in Sweden. Death rate was growing by 50% daily for a while, and was at 125 deaths in a day a few days ago. Now the last two days, just a dozen deaths each day, strange and completely at odds with what occurred in every other country in Europe who all experienced either a linear and consistent number of daily deaths or consistent daily growth and a peak

It is strange is all but I dont like accusing numbers of being 'fake' simply because they are low, as if the only news that can sound genuine is the worst possible news.

Dont think official figures are out for last couple of days yet.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200310/timeline-how-the-coronavirus-has-developed-in-sweden

April 12th:

A total of 899 people have sadly died with the coronavirus in Sweden, according to the latest figures shared by the Public Health Agency. That's an increase of 12 from yesterday, but it's important to note that the way regions and authorities report the figures mean that this is not necessarily the same number that have died in the past 24 hours.

There are currently known 10,483 cases of the virus in Sweden, an increase of 332 from yesterday.

There is no press conference from the agency today, but these should resume tomorrow, on Easter Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Swedish numbers subside at a near impossible mathematical rate just as the eyes of world turn to them to see how they’re different approach is getting on

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Swedish numbers subside at a near impossible mathematical rate just as the eyes of world turn to them to see how they’re different approach is getting on

Seriously ?

Might be easier to read now :)

it's important to note that the way regions and authorities report the figures mean that this is not necessarily the same number that have died in the past 24 hours, so this is not reflective of the Easter weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Seriously ?

They follow the trend like everyone else and then miraculously their figures drop from 100 odd to between 10-20?

Edit seen you’re update which makes a fair bit of sense

They follow the trend like everyone else and then miraculously their figures drop from 100 odd to between 10-20?

No worries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

As has been said here yesterday, they seem to have a big problem in reporting deaths over weekends.
    Let's whats the numbers look like during the week.

509408.jpg

https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/
    10.483 infected, 899 dead

Swedish site https://c19.se/ reports
    11022 infected

507 in ICU

946 dead

Stockholm will start testing people who work at homes for the elderly for covid-19.

The capital's health commissioner Anna Starbrink tells Swedish Television that it is "regrettable" that Sweden's capacity for testing has been so low.
    https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/7448662

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Our number of deaths per day decreased by 60% yesterday from 6 days ago. What are we hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Our number of deaths per day decreased by 60% yesterday from 6 days ago. What are we hiding.

Your right Niall dont let anyone tell you other wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not the same, Sweden's death rate dropped by about 5x fold over the course of a day , after building consistently for over a week, and has remained so for 3 days since

Advertisement