Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Steel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

cletus wrote: »
    They're not hammers, they're persuaders...

AKA the 'Swindon micrometer' (referring to the Swindon railway works of the Great Western Railway).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smilinpolitely

Nice work cian. Great to see the pedals off.
    I had a productive week. Finished the painting, I'm reasonably happy with the finish considering it was done outside. I even managed to get the bottom bracket and front fork reattached today.

A quick pic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

British racing green, I love it!

A really light wet sand with the highest grit you get and a polish would really bring that up. If you have a machine polisher, then even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smilinpolitely

Thanks cian I reckon I could borrow a polishing machine from mate. I'm really liking the green its fairly close to the frames original colour under all the dodgy paint jobs over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Cian, you were talking inanother thread about building wheels.

Park Tools have just released a 5 video series on wheel truing, which might be helpful.

• Advertisement

Today I got a package in the mail and I was like kid at christ. It was none other than one of Cletus' home made bike tools! A bottom bracket pin spanner.

I having previously taken the head off a circlip pliars, the pin spanner was a god send, it had no resistance removing the 30/40 year old part. The side was not looking pretty but all parts are intact so I decided to try and reuse the original BB. If it doesn't hold up I'll buy a sealed unit... I do love old things though.

Once apart I removed the chunky, gritty grease, used some brake cleaner and then 400/600 grit wet and dry with WD40 to clean the spindle and cups. I used a small copper brush to gently remove corrosion from the ball bearings and cages, cleaned again and let sit in WD40 again before reassembling with Molybdenum Disulfide grease. This is used for CV and universal joints on cars because it's long lasting, has a high melting point and over time builds a chemical layer on metal that helps to protect and improve bearing efficiency... I have a big tub of it laying around.

All back together bar the lock ring as I was called in for dinner, it feels a hell of a lot better now than before it was apart. It may last, it may not but I'm glad to have at least tried to save an old part.
    Next I've to order my headset bearing and look at building these wheel. Fun!
    Pics as always.

IMG-20210412-175042.jpg IMG-20210412-175019.jpg IMG-20210412-175009.jpg IMG-20210412-174954.jpg IMG-20210412-174949.jpg IMG-20210412-174936.jpg IMG-20210412-174732-Bokeh.jpg

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

CianRyan wrote: »
    Today I got a package in the mail and I was like kid at christ. It was none other than one of Cletus' home made bike tools! A bottom bracket pin spanner.

I having previously taken the head off a circlip pliars, the pin spanner was a god send, it had no resistance removing the 30/40 year old part. The side was not looking pretty but all parts are intact so I decided to try and reuse the original BB. If it doesn't hold up I'll buy a sealed unit... I do love old things though.

Once apart I removed the chunky, gritty grease, used some brake cleaner and then 400/600 grit wet and dry with WD40 to clean the spindle and cups. I used a small copper brush to gently remove corrosion from the ball bearings and cages, cleaned again and let sit in WD40 again before reassembling with Molybdenum Disulfide grease. This is used for CV and universal joints on cars because it's long lasting, has a high melting point and over time builds a chemical layer on metal that helps to protect and improve bearing efficiency... I have a big tub of it laying around.

All back together bar the lock ring as I was called in for dinner, it feels a hell of a lot better now than before it was apart. It may last, it may not but I'm glad to have at least tried to save an old part.
    Next I've to order my headset bearing and look at building these wheel. Fun!
    Pics as always.

IMG-20210412-175042.jpg IMG-20210412-175019.jpg IMG-20210412-175009.jpg IMG-20210412-174954.jpg IMG-20210412-174949.jpg IMG-20210412-174936.jpg IMG-20210412-174732-Bokeh.jpg

great work.

well done, that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

:):):)

I may have a little job for a man of your abilities. I need a spacer with a flange machined for and through axle to QR adapter axle. I found one but of course can't find the other. :rolleyes:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I may have a little job for a man of your abilities. I need a spacer with a flange machined for and through axle to QR adapter axle. I found one but of course can't find the other. :rolleyes:

Take pictures and dimensions, send them on. If you don't have my mobile number, pm and I'll send it to you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

And with that the portal to custom bits opened... :D

eeeee wrote: »
    And with that the portal to custom bits opened... :D

Just send your PM's, eeeee :)

This was no fun to buy, a cheap part that's in available in Ireland so I had to double the price with shipping.

Ah well, one step closer. I must tap the cranks this weekend if I get a minute. House renovations are taking up much of my time lately... The hardwood floor and garden are looking great but the bike is eh, still a project. :pac:

IMG-20210505-151546.jpg

Tange. Nice.

A tool for pressing the cups in correctly is very easy to make, with some threaded bar, nuts and big washers.

8valve wrote: »
    Tange. Nice.

A tool for pressing the cups in correctly is very easy to make, with some threaded bar, nuts and big washers.

I just use a lump hammer...

I just use a lump hammer...

Picture a single tear running down my cheek...

8valve wrote: »
    Picture a single tear running down my cheek...

My previous post may have been made for comedic effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Retrobike.co.uk has a vintage road bike wanted/for sale sections.

It's where I go for old MTB bits.

Nitromors bitd had dichloromethane and methanol in it, too may people (Inc my dad refinishing his sailing dinghy) nearly died using it and had lots of health issues due to it.

I can see why it was made a lot less concentrated.

Any more progress, Cian?

Well, it's been a few months but I did say this would be a long term project (in-between my house, car and becoming a dad).

I finally got around to fitted the headset on Sunday night. Short of a press, I used a threaded bar, 3 nuts and two pieces of timber and it worked wonderfully... But I did have to use my rubber mallet once.

I'm going to pick up a tap set this weekend and salvage the cranks, find a nice set of bars and then tackle the wheels. I'm not saying when, but it's on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are a couple of decent enough frames for sale on adverts.ie at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Might be a croix de fer soon too, albeit seized seatpost.

@CianRyan good to see the work continuing, and congrats on becoming a dad. I made a similar headset press, but I turned down aluminium discs where you have the timber

@Weepsie what size is the croix de fer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus, this might also be your size? 56cm, though he states it's quite relaxed.

Cheers @magicbastarder . I wonder is the "relaxed, feels like a 54" just a way of appealling to a wider audience 🤔.

If not, a 54 is too small, but no real way of testing that on a stripped frame...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a 54 but with a well and truly seized seatpost. I was going to go at it with a heatgun, but never did in the end as it's just about correct for me.

also cletus, this is a nice one though i don't know if you're looking for a cheap one to strip down?

though i'd be curious about the quality of the paint job, he seems to have painted the inside of the seat tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Trying to recall how we compared up height wise when I brought those wheels off you a few years ago... 😀

Thanks, mb. To be very honest, I don't know what I'm looking for myself. I just keep a half eye out from time to time to see if anything catches my eye

Post edited by cletus on

• Advertisement

There's a whole raleigh record on donedeal, 531 with lots of nice parts on it......

Just saying.... ;-)

@CianRyan nice progress.

Advertisement