Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project Steel

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Head badge probably easily sorted. I'd guess that if the Tri Club sticker is peeled off, the three rivet holes are still present, although possibly with some filler in them. You can buy secondhand and reproduction badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I believe the risk is of doing damage to other parts of the frame apart from the rust. These tapered tube sets can be quite thin at their middle sections. The most gentle methods should be used first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Wow, thanks guys. Great detective work. I'll take the suggestions of not wrecking the frame with anything to powerful... I've just sanded the paint and rust off in some parts to see how bad it is. I'll look into getting it stripped properly and then paint it... I'd be more than happy for it to turn out nearly as well as cletus's one.

If you’re thinking of painting it in the Raleigh TI colours as above give me a shout. If you’re going to pay someone to paint it then it would be advisable to get it done correctly. I don’t paint but I can tell you where to get the info to do it right.

Unfortunately there are lots of these frames floating around with inappropriate decals not in keeping with the age of the frame and a lot of them just wrong.

I would get in touch with Neil McGowran and email him the photos. He’s very helpful and should be able to tell you more about this frame than anyone else. Google SB4059 for his website. The proper decals with proper font etc are now available, but incorrect ones can still be bought.

Lastly look inside the head tube to see if there is any sign of the original paint colour.

Thanks a million. That's an absolute gold mine of information. I'm still a fair bit away from actually painting but I feel it's something I'd like to try my hand at. Any info you could point me in the direction of would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, who sandblasted your frame for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Sorry, I was away for a few days. I actually had my frame shot blast (lead). The guy did a good job, but I don't think it would be suitable for your bike

No worries, I just assumed that most people who did it had various different types of media that they could blast it with sand, plastic beads etc.

This dude usually does car parts, wheels etc. He has a big automatic machine

Hang the parts up inside it, and turn it on. The parts get blasted from all sides with lead shot. I don't think he does other stuff

Re frame painting: The following assumes you intend on painting in the original Raleigh Team colours and decals. The SBDU would offer to paint in any colour you wanted but the Team colours are most popular.

These frames from Raleigh SBDU are quite sought after and deserve to be done right which in almost all cases rules out DIY jobs.

If you spend the money on a high quality paint job you stand a much better chance of recovering any investment when/if you sell plus you’ll have a much nicer bike to enjoy.

So my tips on painting are with that in mind.

These are the things I would do

1. After you get it back from sandblasting carefully examine for any signs of corrosion/damaged tubes etc
    2. If all good I would fit some wheels/ bars etc. Enough to take it for a spin and check that it handles properly. No point in throwing money at this to find out later that the bike won’t track straight
    3. Read Neil McGowrans website and get in touch with him. I’d be fairly sure there is enough info on his website to tell you exactly what decals are required and where to fit them down to the nearest mm. The decals changed considerably over the years. He also has the RAL colours listed somewhere.
    4. Someone on retrobike forum recreated the correct Raleigh lettering in the past year or two. I believe these are now available from H Lloyd cycles. Google “Ti Raleigh Seat Tube Decals” on retrobike forum.
    5. Find a really good painter and discuss with them what you want to do. There are a couple of painters mentioned here on boards that have done some really nice work

• Advertisement

That's excellent information. Thanks so much for your help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like that's a nice frame. i'll give you 20 quid for it, final offer, cutting my hand off etc etc

My only regret is that it's actually too small for me to use as a road bike... But just right size for my girlfriend to use to do the school run allegedly 😔

Unfortunately my budget couldn't stretch to getting painted professionally so I just had to give it a bash myself. My feeling was, I probably haven't done any harm to the frame so it can always be redone in the future if someone wanted to. It's not a L'eroica type show bike or anything so I think I'm pretty happy with it.

Good job. Fair play for taking it on

Fair play. Looks great. Post some more pics when it’s built up. If you can’t stretch to a full group set this would look great as a single speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Beautiful work. Well done, that man! Looking forward to seeing her built up.

Cheers lads! Hoping to put it together over the next week or so. Will defo stick up some pics.

Put it together, girlfriend just took it for a spin... Seems very pleased with it so far! ( just waiting on a head badge and some barrel adjusters for the brakes I ordered)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Beautiful! Chapeau!

• Advertisement

Well done. Great to see this back in use given the state it was in.

Fair play. Lovely job, and quick too. I was expecting pictures for the next few weeks at least 😃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1980 531 frame for sale on adverts; too big for me so i wouldn't be interested - and there's a dent on the top tube.

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/ernie-clements-reynolds-frame/27427742

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hello hello, not much to report other than ADHD struck again last night I cold set the frame.to take a modern road wheel as I had a few laying around the shed.

Honestly could have this done in a day if I just ordered the last few bits and took the time. 😅

What's left:

Pick up some nice, classic drop bars brake hoods

Brake pads and cables

New chain

Given up on the old Shimano 600 cranks for now, so buy cranks and a chain ring.

Tubes and tyres.

See you again in 18 months. 😁

Nice to see an update. More pictures, please 😁

Advertisement