Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

Not sure if this has been posted already, HSE briefing at 11am today
    https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1246716202577268737

Headline on 10am News on Newstalk “158 people currently being treated in ICU”

Scandalous misreporting yet again or else journalists are unable to understand basic English and maths on top of being clearly told these are not current numbers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

tiegan wrote: »

Is also being broadcast on RTE News Now from 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Lundstram wrote: »
    The young people seem to be getting the brunt of criticism for not obeying the HSE guidelines but from what I'm witnessing every day it seems to be the 45-65 age bracket that are going around in their normal fashion. Particularly middle-aged women.

Even in 2020 middle-aged women still do the majority of both the grocery shopping in their households, and caring for relatives. You'll see a disproportionate number of them out and about on any normal day.

I'm not excusing unnecessary trips, but there are plenty of legutimate reasons for what you're seeing. Personally I haven't seen ANY groups of 40+ women out this past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The young people seem to be getting the brunt of criticism for not obeying the HSE guidelines but from what I'm witnessing every day it seems to be the 45-65 age bracket that are going around in their normal fashion. Particularly middle-aged women. Seen loads of them alone in cars on my drive to and from work and groups of them out walking the roads but they really seem to be at their ignorant best in supermarkets, skipping Qs and bombing down isles with their trolleys with wild abandon.

Don't see any groups of teens hanging around anymore so fair play to them.

Agree with this. I'm finding all those teens,young twenty yr. olds in my extended family/friends are all on top of this.

Some of the older age group have been slow on the take up.They are getting there,but the younger folks got there quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I see going to a supermarket as a serious risk and prepare accordingly as do most of my friends. Also it’s reduced to once a week at most.

Are people even more stupid than I thought?

Some people won’t listen no matter what. I have family members dropping into each other’s houses . They are single households but one has plenty of underlying health conditions and would fair out very badly if they caught this . They aren’t calling over to help etc nor do they need it. They are dropping over as they are bored etc for cup of tea and out of “ it won’t happen to me” approach.

Yesterday, three kids from three different families mixing together out the front. They were staying a few feet apart but It suprised me as the line of work one of the patents in would put others at risk if their child picked up something.

I don’t involve myself in other people and what they do but was suprised at this given the line of work some of the parents are in. Some people are slowly starting to become complacent. This behaviour annoys me as I think of the staff putting their own lives at risk - and their families - to treat patients and we’ve been asked to do something that should be so simple but some just won’t.

For example, if one of those parents is an assistant in a nursing home anything caught from their child mixing could have disastrous consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

tiegan wrote: »

Where can this be watched

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Where can this be watched

I'd say RTE news will have it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭klose

The young people seem to be getting the brunt of criticism for not obeying the HSE guidelines but from what I'm witnessing every day it seems to be the 45-65 age bracket that are going around in their normal fashion. Particularly middle-aged women. Seen loads of them alone in cars on my drive to and from work and groups of them out walking the roads but they really seem to be at their ignorant best in supermarkets, skipping Qs and bombing down isles with their trolleys with wild abandon.

Noticed myself around my area I'm seeing elderly people out walking who I've never seen before in my life around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd say RTE news will have it

Yeah they had it last Sunday too

• Advertisement

So the CDC recommending masks now, even cloth ones.. I'm sure it's been talking about here already.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/surgeon-general-explains-evolution-of-cdc-face-mask-guidance-81619013687

Here's the US Surgeon General showing how to make one.

This mask thing will be looked back on for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

We need to start antibody testing to find donors to treat the critically ill https://twitter.com/SteveFDA/status/1246562836630863883

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

klose wrote: »
    Noticed myself around my area I'm seeing elderly people out walking who I've never seen before in my life around here.

You would notice me if I lived near you ! We go walking at least three times a week in parks , beaches , proms etc . Now we cant drive to them we are walking locally around the estate . I imagine so are many other elderly doing the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

gozunda wrote: »
    Recent article which details that supermarkets are high-risk sites of infection for Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1128423/

Also fairly comprehensive guide on reducing risk of infection whilst shopping

https://globalhealth.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Safe-Shopping-Guidelines-COVID-19-1.pdf

https://globalhealth.ie/a-quick-guide-to-safe-shopping-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/
    Supermarkets and smaller shops should be the next area of focus by the government.

I always thought that they were a hotbed for the virus and its spread.
    They need to figure out a way to reduce crowds shopping at the same time by staggering who goes in at what time, and reduce contact points in the supermarkets.
    To me supermarkets are superspreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The video that I posted a link to in the last thread was actually copyright struck by the celebrity doctor in question in order to take it down.

He also yesterday released a video apologizing for getting the whole Covid-19 thing wrong for months.

What I don't get about this is that back at the end of January, or even before then, you could just look at any of the statistics from China to get a good handle on the disease. This also goes for anybody in any government, anywhere in the world. If I could know this, and I know jack-sh*t, how can't they? How exactly did it come as a surprise to Boris Jonson, for instance?

Perhaps the experts are so taken up with their own infallibility they wouldn't deign to debase themselves by using the internet to find out current information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Kivaro wrote: »
    Supermarkets and smaller shops should be the next area of focus by the government.

They need to figure out a way to reduce crowds shopping at the same time by staggering who goes in at what time, and reduce contact points in the supermarkets.

All supermarkets near me are doing this. Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Coronavirus: Virological findings from patients treated in a Munich hospital

Comprehensive research data now published in Nature
    "The patients treated at our hospital were all young to middle-aged. Their symptoms were generally mild and included flu-like symptoms like cough, fever and a loss of taste and smell," explains the other lead author, Prof. Dr. Clemens Wendtner, Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine at München Klinik Schwabing, a teaching hospital of LMU Munich. "In terms of scientific significance, our study benefited from the fact that all of the cases were linked to an index case, meaning they were not simply studied based on the presence of certain symptoms. In addition to getting a good picture of how this virus behaves, this also enabled us to gain other important insights, including on viral transmission."

<snip>

According to the researchers' observations, all COVID-19 patients showed a high rate of viral replication and shedding in the throat during the first week of symptoms. Sputum samples also showed high levels of viral RNA (genetic information). Infectious viral particles were isolated from both pharyngeal (throat) swabs and sputum samples. "This means that the novel coronavirus does not have to travel to the lungs to replicate. It can replicate while still in the throat, which means it is very easy to transmit," explains Prof. Drosten, who is also affiliated with the DZIF, and is a professor at the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH). Due to genetic similarities between the new virus and the original SARS virus, the researchers initially assumed that, just like the SARS virus, the novel coronavirus would predominantly target the lungs - thus making human-to-human transmission more difficult. "However, our research involving the Munich cluster showed that the new SARS coronavirus differs quite considerably in terms of its preferential target tissue," says the virologist, and adds: "Naturally, this has enormous consequences for both viral transmission and spread, which is why we decided to publish our initial findings in early February."

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

So the CDC recommending masks now, even cloth ones.. I'm sure it's been talking about here already.
    This mask thing will be looked back on for a long time.

Yes, that topic has shown how strong propaganda is. Many on this thread have continued to say how masks don’t work in the face of overwhelming evidence that they reduce the risk of contracting the virus.

Every supermarket near are already doing that . Two out , two in . How many in the shop is already controlled . Another idea which might work is males one day , females the next .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

My local shop has shelf stackers in the way and no space to move around. They should close for an hour during the day for shelf stacking and cleaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Welcome to 3 weeks ago kivaro that was some kip you had

They need to stop talking about how a mask might make things work and show us exactly how to use one safely . Then show tutorials on how to make one at home. We made ours yesterday watching a tutorial on you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We need to start antibody testing to find donors to treat the critically ill https://twitter.com/SteveFDA/status/1246562836630863883
    Here's a summary of sorts on antibody tests. This bit is interesting.
    Prof John Newton, the director of public health improvement for PHE, has said antibody tests work best 28 days after an infection.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/coronavirus-what-do-we-know-about-antibody-tests-992051.html

CMO has said, in response to questions, it was too soon for us to be doing it.

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes, that topic has shown how strong propaganda is. Many on this thread have continued to say how masks don’t work in the face of overwhelming evidence that they reduce the risk of contracting the virus.

I believed it for a while at the start as well, and I'm even used to wearing one for pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You would notice me if I lived near you ! We go walking at least three times a week in parks , beaches , proms etc . Now we cant drive to them we are walking locally around the estate . I imagine so are many other elderly doing the same
    Yep, people wanted all the car parks and beaches shut. Now they're giving out that the people who would have gone there are now crammed into their local areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I thought they have done what you suggest? Anyway I agree they are potential superspreaders for community transmission.

hmmm wrote: »
    Yep, people wanted all the car parks and beaches shut. Now they're giving out that the people who would have gone there are now crammed into their local areas.

No one crammed here thankfully . We walk around the estate and easily avoid people

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's a summary of sorts on antibody tests. This bit is interesting.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/coronavirus-what-do-we-know-about-antibody-tests-992051.html

CMO has said, in response to questions, it was too soon for us to be doing it.

This is more to do with the 'immunity passport'/back-to-work thing than using donor antibodies to treat the sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This is the demographic who are caring for elderly parents, so it makes sense that you’ll see them out in cars. Why are you looking anyway? Personally I’d love to stay out of supermarkets, but I have 4 people cocooning that I have to supply, and there is not an online slot to be had in any supermarket, not even click and collect. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Every supermarket near are already doing that . Two out , two in . How many in the shop is already controlled . Another idea which might work is males one day , females the next .

It would be quite easy to do something along the lines of alphabetical allocated times/days, and easy to confirm compliance as well, as payment card would confirm .

Analyse distribution of surnames, bunch them together into evenly distributed groups and allocate a time/day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement