Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Is this another PPE flight that just took off?

56-E5239-A-9-EDD-4441-AC4-E-4461-EEC11-FA6.jpg?dl=1

Just got a picture of the CCP fellas who sold us that last dodgy PPE shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Dr Birx has advised people in the US not to even go to the grocery store or pharmacy during the next 14 days if at all possible as its expected that the peak will be hitting over that time and its make or break to flatten the curve. Hopefully people listen.
    Not a chance. With everything closed going to the supermarket is a highlight of the day. I see it everyday at work. People of all ages are just "popping in" for a bottle of coke or an Easter egg...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ShyMets wrote: »

Folks lets not go down the rabbit hole of trying to ban tobacco. Class A drugs are banned in this country yet we still have a big drug problem. Prohibition does not work

And you got banning cigs from my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The Independent is saying that new measures are likely to be brought in by the authorities to lower the death and case figures. Any idea what these may be?

Bar putting more sever restrictions in place on nursing homes and hospitals I'm not sure what's left for them to do. Unfortunately both of these are accounting for the majority of active clusters.

Personally I think there are more clusters out there but our policy is to rightly prioritize staff and patients in these areas as well just don't have the capabilities to quickly test any more than these.

We've gone for the keep everyone at home and hope to ride this out approach with poorish testing of the general population. They keep giving out percentages of positive case and revised R0 numbers but they are pretty much useless. Each days figures are a smorgasbord of tests from any time between that day and the previous 2 weeks.

Nursing homes are taking a absolute hammering and I fear the worst is yet to come for them. There are already over 30+ clusters in them and it seems to run though those places with devastating consequences.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

j@utis wrote: »
    Not a chance. With everything closed going to the supermarket is a highlight of the day. I see it everyday at work. People of all ages are just "popping in" for a bottle of coke or an Easter egg...

Essentials essentials!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Absolutely mental suggestion. The number of americans living from day to day wont have enough food stockpiled to feed their familes. Especially in inner cities. This Dr Birx would do well to engage their brain before opening their mouth. Wjy not suggest a Jim Jones style mass suicide as well? That will really stick it to the coronavirus.

It's just a suggestion and only if possible. They wont be stopping people from shopping.

But yeah, this is really tough for those who dont have the means to stock up and those typically lower income people who work in supermarkets and fast food places (which are still open for drive thru and takeaways). Hard as well for those in big cities who live in "food deserts" and dont have large food shops nearby. I'll be staying at home to try and make things easier, or maybe just less bad, for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There is a study now from the Region first hit in Lombardy showing 1 in 10 nursing home residents died from Covid.

Very worrying considering the large number affected here.

https://rep.repubblica.it/pwa/generale/2020/04/04/news/coronavirus_la_strage_silenziosa_nelle_case_per_anziani-253158997/

Not surprised really. A close family relative of mine was in one before passing away a few years ago. He was in his 80's with a list of conditions as long as your arm. A strong breeze would have taken him out, nevermind a dose of flu or this COVID19.

A lot of people in these places have multiple issues, heart problems, diabetes, hypertension, angina, etc and usually at the same time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Del007

Perhaps the government should close the pharmaceutical/medical companies that are still working and not producing essential products.

I know people who are still working and what they are making is certainly not essential.

They're still making tic tacs in a factory in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

Del007 wrote: »
    Perhaps the government should close the pharmaceutical/medical companies that are still working and not producing essential products.

I know people who are still working and what they are making is certainly not essential.

Tic tacs are hardly made by a pharma/medical device company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

jackboy wrote: »

Tiktoks possibly?

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »

True. It's just an example of a factory that's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Recent article which details that supermarkets are high-risk sites of infection for Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1128423/

Also fairly comprehensive guide on reducing risk of infection whilst shopping

https://globalhealth.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Safe-Shopping-Guidelines-COVID-19-1.pdf

https://globalhealth.ie/a-quick-guide-to-safe-shopping-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The Independent is saying that new measures are likely to be brought in by the authorities to lower the death and case figures. Any idea what these may be?

I don't know the answer to that but maybe tightening up on people popping into the shops for nothing?
    Yesterday I went to a local village shop to get a weeks supplies for me and for my elderly neighbour. On my behalf it involved preparation with strategic numbers of gloves, mask, wipes, all in place, as I had to get in and out of the car a few times, like collecting the neighbours empty gas bottle etc and bringing the stuff back to their gate.
    The local shop owner is running his shop in military fashion. Only 3 let in at a time, distance in aisles, speed along, no lingering, sprays hands on way in etc. He is very stressed. Not his usual cheerful self at all. I would not blame him. He does not want his shop to be a nexus of infection that brings death to any villager.

And infiltrating all this good effort are the utterly gormless. Many of them older. Stout women who should mind themselves guffawing at the set up and sneering at having to queue on the streets at a distance from each other. Oul fellas who should also be minding themselves, sidling up and leaning in towards you to make a joke passing by, how long will it last they laugh, tis mad. Skittish farmers laughing too loudly and getting into rucks together like we were queueing for a match. The buffoons.

The same gobshytes going in and taking up space and time in the shop, dawdling, putting the shopkeeper and his children who man the tills at risk, all for a single fcuking pack of rashers and a tabloid newspaper.

If I was a shopkeeper now, and knowing that shop assistants have always suffered disproportionately more in global pandemics, I would have an electrified cattle prod to use on these gormless idiots, and I would be liberal in my use of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

True. It's just an example of a factory that's still open.

Pharmaceutical companies in Ireland are making essential products. People dont stop needing medication to stay well just because there is a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Gynoid wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to that but maybe tightening up on people popping into the shops for nothing?
    Yesterday I went to a local village shop to get a weeks supplies for me and for my elderly neighbour. On my behalf it involved preparation with strategic numbers of gloves, mask, wipes, all in place, as I had to get in and out of the car a few times, like collecting the neighbours empty gas bottle etc and bringing the stuff back to their gate.
    The local shop owner is running his shop in military fashion. Only 3 let in at a time, distance in aisles, speed along, no lingering, sprays hands on way in etc. He is very stressed. Not his usual cheerful self at all. I would not blame him. He does not want his shop to be a nexus of infection that brings death to any villager.

And infiltrating all this good effort are the utterly gormless. Many of them older. Stout women who should mind themselves guffawing at the set up and sneering at having to queue on the streets at a distance from each other. Oul fellas who should also be minding themselves, sidling up and leaning in towards you to make a joke passing by, how long will it last they laugh, tis mad. Skittish farmers laughing too loudly and getting into rucks together like we were queueing for a match. The buffoons.

The same gobshytes going in and taking up space and time in the shop, dawdling, putting the shopkeeper and his children who man the tills at risk, all for a single fcuking pack of rashers and a tabloid newspaper.

If I was a shopkeeper now, and knowing that shop assistants have always suffered disproportionately more in global pandemics, I would have an electrified cattle prod to use on these gormless idiots, and I would be liberal in my use of it!

All to true , have friend who owns a shop and his stress levels are crazy . He owns a rural enough shop so vital for locals to get fuel and essentials and the amount of older people who seem to be coming into shop for a chat is mad and then they don’t understand when they are asked or get in and get out as quick as possible.. a lot coming in for stuff they don’t need. He has offered to deliver to the over 70,s if needed but no most want to come to the shop . Trying his best to keep staff protected but very frustrating when people are not adhering to guidelines put in place.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Pharmaceutical companies in Ireland are making essential products. People dont stop needing medication to stay well just because there is a pandemic.

There are some pharmaceutical/medical and food companies in Ireland that are still open but not making essential products.

Obviously medication is an essential product

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are some pharmaceutical/medical and food companies in Ireland that are still open but not making essential products.

What are these non essential products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

harr wrote: »
    All to true , have friend who owns a shop and his stress levels are crazy . He owns a rural enough shop so vital for locals to get fuel and essentials and the amount of older people who seem to be coming into shop for a chat is mad and then they don’t understand when they are asked or get in and get out as quick as possible.. a lot coming in for stuff they don’t need. He has offered to deliver to the over 70,s if needed but no most want to come to the shop . Trying his best to keep staff protected but very frustrating when people are not adhering to guidelines put in place.

I felt so cross about it yesterday. Like it is a big joke for some people. The shopkeeper is trying to mind them!! It is not fair on him or his staff, or on the rest of us trying to back up away on the street from their clowning. Aaarrgh. Better calm down. I sacrificed enough time yesterday being cross about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

What pharmaceutical products could be considered non essential? People are going to extreme lengths to point out things that shouldn't be open in their opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There are lots of 'essential' factories still open, with some very flaky arguments being put forward about how 'essential' they might be. Many of them are our flagship multinationals, still ploughing on at full capacity with hundreds of people on site at any time. Meanwhile joe public is restricted in his movements and not allowed to hold meetings of more than two people outside his core family group.

Maybe the 'essential' element of this work is economic ... but what about the workers, do they not deserve the same level of protection that most of us are now observing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

You can often get the sweet smell coming from there on the South Ring road around the Kinsale Roag interchange, I often used to wonder what it was until a friend in Frankfield told me.
    Tic Tac's are hardly essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

With 6000 people a year in Ireland dying from tobacco related diseases why are shops still selling and the government still taxing a product that kills over 100 people a week when the entire country has gone in to a stoneage lockdown for a total of 137 people being killed by a virus?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/tobaccocontrol/kf/

The 'stoneage lockdown' is why there are only 137 deaths, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Who2 wrote: »
    But sure that revenue will surely have covered the bill the taxpayer is landed with. What does it feel like up on that high horse?

That's exactly what I said :confused:

It's not worth it for the government to ban them because they are a revenue generator despite the negative effects to society.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There are lots of 'essential' factories still open, with some very flaky arguments being put forward about how 'essential' they might be. Many of them are our flagship multinationals, still ploughing on at full capacity with hundreds of people on site at any time. Meanwhile joe public is restricted in his movements and not allowed to hold meetings of more than two people outside his core family group.

Maybe the 'essential' element of this work is economic ... but what about the workers, do they not deserve the same level of protection that most of us are now observing?

Very well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I'm confused about this "essential only" shopping trips.

The mother -in -law wanted essential oils , but a Guard, who questioned why I was out and about, wasn't having it.

I'd like to see him tell her no,face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No but they are definitely needed. Hopefully compulsory mask wearing when outside the home for shopping is one but that's not going to happen if they haven't got access to masks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I see going to a supermarket as a serious risk and prepare accordingly as do most of my friends. Also it’s reduced to once a week at most.

Are people even more stupid than I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

have there been any cases traced to supermarkets in Ireland?maybe loads, I have no idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

have there been any cases traced to supermarkets in Ireland?maybe loads, I have no idea ?

More than half the total cases are community transmission, so it is very, very likely many are getting infected in supermarkets, seeing as everything else is shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

The young people seem to be getting the brunt of criticism for not obeying the HSE guidelines but from what I'm witnessing every day it seems to be the 45-65 age bracket that are going around in their normal fashion. Particularly middle-aged women. Seen loads of them alone in cars on my drive to and from work and groups of them out walking the roads but they really seem to be at their ignorant best in supermarkets, skipping Qs and bombing down isles with their trolleys with wild abandon.

Don't see any groups of teens hanging around anymore so fair play to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement