Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The fact that Germany has tested around a million people has has such a low death rate proves the the real death rate of the virus is even lower than what is being reported...Fake news

I'll bite..

The main issue is not the death rates, yes that's a huge concern, but i think most would be in agreement that they main issue is to avoid the hospitals getting overrun, like in Italy and Spain.

The death rate could be 0.01% but if 5% of the Irish population got the virus and need hospital care - that's a hell of lot of people, hence the measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Hmmm effectively shutting down business straight away with them businesses loosing billions and probably never opening again when other countries haven't.

Yeah that's some pandering alright.

Nonsense.
    FG have no monopoly of support from businesses unless you are implying only FG business owners have holiday homes which was the original topic.

The government have been making a virtue of following WHO, ECDC and HSE advice, are you now suggesting they acted spontaneously in anything other than timing.

A large segment of service businesses operated virtually hand to mouth, with little or reserves, they probably won't have survived a significant drop in footfall in any event.

The Irish Government's raison d'etre is to look after the interests of the Irish State in the round not unreasonably favouring any individual sector.

They decided the closing down actions they took were the best choice to mitigate the total impact on the economy over time. Only time and economists' rear view mirrors will decide whether they acted correctly, or incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

voluntary wrote: »
    I think first we should start by lifting restrictions on religious gatherings. Open them up for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

You want to open up gatherings where the majority of attendees are elderly people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Beasty wrote: »
    If this had been in hospitals at that time with no isolation precautions in place we would surely have had a hell of a lot more cases and indeed a lot more deaths. Healthcare workers would have been particularly exposed without adequate PPE. It seems to me to be only over the past few weeks we are finding those on the frontline being affected

They tend to measure hospital numbers over the winter by numbers on trolleys, which was slightly higher than usual but not massively so

Would have to agree. Regarding HCW and PPE it’s very worrying that they have composed 25% of all cases since the the second week of March. They have grown directly in proportion with the number of cases. I’d understand if there was an initial spike due to the novelty of the virus and lack of proper PPE and then a smaller and smaller proportion of HCW. Sadly this hasn’t been the case. Hopefully we will see a reduction in this so they can use their vital skills to get through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    They need to have a press conference tomorrow to state that they are extending it until the 5th May i feel, that way people will not start making plans for the May bank holiday.

I can't see them extending it more than a week at a time.

They can extend it again if necessary.

It will come down to the numbers of new cases.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The bit in bold is the key part,
    Actually, it's the quality of the model that matters. The 95% assumes the model accurately "predicts" the way this develops, and makes various assumptions about the behaviour of people, governments, healthcare organisations etc. Any variation from the assumptions made can materially affect that 95% "confidence" level, and indeed makes the reference to a 95% confidence largely meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

rm212 wrote: »
    A lot of people out and about around the estate today. Families heading out with the kids wearing backpacks, looking like they're heading to the park. Neighbours at eachother's doors not observing social distancing when chatting and lots of noise, lots of cars. It has been quiet enough to hear a pin drop for the last couple of weeks, but somewhat yesterday and particularly today, you'd say it's almost 'bustling' in the estate. Looks like people are starting to disregard the measures :(

Same ones will be moaning about how long the restrictions are going on next week when it fact they will be responsible for a prolonged lockdown by being selfish.

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The fact that Germany has tested around a million people has has such a low death rate proves the the real death rate of the virus is even lower than what is being reported...Fake news

Germany are not counting deaths that we would though for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I actually started a dedicated thread to this a while back, and I too was under the assumption that we should walk on the left of a footpath, but I'm guessing that about 85% suggest the opposite, so I now comply and always walk in the right hand side of paths/footpaths keeping 2Mtrs distance where possible.
    When there is no footpath ie down the country always walk facing oncoming traffic. ie on the right (unless more dangerous). rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

easypazz wrote: »
    I can't see them extending it more than a week at a time.

They can extend it again if necessary.

It will come down to the numbers of new cases.

What's happening now, is that we are getting towards the end of 2 weeks, the sun is out and people get ideas, if you extend it for longer periods, people will understand that more and behave. Pushing out a week and folk be like sure it's only a week, if i can do it in a week i can do it now attitude.

Part of me feels like the parks should have been clsoed

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some private homes have twice/three time temp checks on all staff daily

Which makes absolute sense. There are simply not enough "tests" available, and the timelag in delivering results is too long, for them to do any kind of "formal" tests. All they can do is ask anyone showing any symptoms to self isolate pending any "formal" test result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Gynoid wrote: »
    On it possibly being here longer - which if true would be really good news! - at Christmas one of my childer who lives in Germany brought us a really odd dose. I rarely get ill but it flew through the house. Fever, followed by chills, but the only difference was a LOT of nose action. I felt crap for a few days, really zonked out.
    Now considering patient zero for Italy is suspected to gave come from a German dose dated to around mid January - this is my proof number one.
    My proof number two - GERM-any. I mean, come on!!!! ;)
    Wasnt a rarer, nastier influenza circulating the country this year. Yamagata B or something. Not sure if it was covered by the vacine?

Mass testing is now necessary until we have a vaccine. We may have a time where people will be tested daily.

Again what's the point of testing daily if it takes a week to turn a test around?

We simply do not have the resources to do "mass" testing. They were talking about 15,000 a day at one stage, but we are still struggling to do much more than a tenth of that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

https://www.thejournal.ie/trump-threatens-world-health-organisation-funding-5069546-Apr2020/

What a petty, malignant, cancer on the world this piece of shit is.

How many recoveries in Ireland get published?
    Confirmation of a recovery requires a test. There are not enough tests to deal with suspected cases so I cannot see them ever issuing any "official" recovery figures

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stupid more like.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" - Ernest Hemingway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

There's a decent amount of people out today, hope it's just a kneejerk reaction and people trying to get ready for a long quiet weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

speckle wrote: »
    wasnt a rarer nastier influensa circulating the country this year. Yamagata B or somthing. Not sure if it was covered by the vax.?

There was a very nasty cold going around, I got it in early Feb, the main symptoms were a head cold and a severe sore throat. My throat was so bad none of the normal medication such as gargling disprin had any effect. The only relief I got was when i took some strong pain killers I had left over from a slipped disc last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

voluntary wrote: »
    I think first we should start by lifting restrictions on religious gatherings. Open them up for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.
    religious gatherings! you cant be serious, that would be the worst possible thing..... besides are there not plenty of online services if people really need this..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Switch Profile

Affected areas orders
    31B (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Minister may, having regard to the matters specified in section 31A(2), by order declare an area or region in the State to be an area where there is known or thought to be sustained human transmission of Covid-19 or from which there is a high risk of importation of infection or contamination with Covid-19 by travel from that area (in this Act referred to as an “affected areas order”).

What areas or regions have been declared “affected areas”?

If all areas and regions have been declared “affected areas”, where might I find a copy of that order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

flynnlives wrote: »
    Nurseing homes seem to be a ****show.
    Doubling of clusters since the weekend.

When you pay staff **** wages this is what you get. Agency staff being moved around various nursing homes.
    Its clear no proper staffing measures were put in place.

In many of the hospitals medics etc are gone to single 24hr on calls in any one week. This reduces the possibility for spreading the virus.
    Medic only has one shift so only one chance to infect others. This is happening in the major hospitals. They can do this because they have the staff.

Nursing homes are run for profit so are not adequately staffed. You've workers doing shifts in various homes spreading the virus around.

Where is HIQA or the Surveilance agency or dept coming down hard on these providers?

Why hasnt a mass casualty event/process been put in place to seperate healthy residents from ill? like move them to other building?

I know someone who is in a nursing home for People with disabilities and they are being quarantined in their rooms

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tony EH wrote:
    What a petty, malignant, cancer on the world this piece of **** is.
    Didn't he immediately say he didn't say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Big day today. If the new cases fall again, we must have peaked. If we drop 20 cases a day, we will have <10 new cases in 17 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Germany are not counting deaths that we would though for example.

This myth has been debunked countless times. Germany has tested far more people hence the low mortality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Big day today. If the new cases fall again, we must have peaked. If we drop 20 cases a day, we will have <10 new cases in 17 days.
    Big week really, one day really doesn't say too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

eagle eye wrote: »

He backtracked to "strongly consider".

The sentiment is still the same. Petty and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If peoples attitude today is anything to go by we'll have a jump in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I can’t see restrictions on pubs or clubs being lifted, hardly an essential service although some might argue they are but the reality is very very difficult to maintain social distance and the risk of people getting drunk and forgetting the social etiquette, handling glasses etc, touching stuff etc it would be madness to undo the work that has already been done.

Large gatherings for concerts, sports etc hardly going happen.

Overseas holiday to anywhere is definitely not going happen this year, how could government justify letting people travel and risk bringing back more infection is the government going pay to isolate you in a hotel on your return... hardly

Summer is basically cancelled, this thing is going continue to roll into next winter and then maybe 2021 things can progress from there.

Summer is a write off in terms of social activities and events. Yep pubs and clubs are a no no, zero possibility of social distancing, by their nature they bring everyone closer, in every respect. Alcohol loosens inhibitions and impedes social decisions. They will be the very last amenities to reopen. Concerts too and sports and foreign travel like you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eagle eye wrote: »

Here's a verbatim quote:

“They’ve been wrong about a lot of things, And they had a lot of information early and they didn’t want to – they seemed to be very China centric. They called it wrong, they called it wrong. They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier. They would have known and they should have known and they probably did know. So we’ll be looking into that very carefully and we’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO. We’re going to put a very powerful hold on it and we’re going to see. It’s a great thing if it works but when they call every shot wrong, it’s not good.”

He then immediately denied having said the above while again saying he would cut funding:

“No, I didn’t, I said we’re going to look at it. We’re going to investigate it, we’re going to look at it. But we will look at ending funding, yeah, because you know what, they called it wrong, and if you look back over the years even, everything seems to be very biased toward China. That’s not right.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I can’t see restrictions on pubs or clubs being lifted, hardly an essential service although some might argue they are but the reality is very very difficult to maintain social distance and the risk of people getting drunk and forgetting the social etiquette, handling glasses etc, touching stuff etc it would be madness to undo the work that has already been done.

Large gatherings for concerts, sports etc hardly going happen.

Overseas holiday to anywhere is definitely not going happen this year, how could government justify letting people travel and risk bringing back more infection is the government going pay to isolate you in a hotel on your return... hardly

Summer is basically cancelled, this thing is going continue to roll into next winter and then maybe 2021 things can progress from there.

I was reading yesterday that Denmark intend opening many places within the next couple of weeks and to resume major outdoor sporting events by August.

Delaying all sports until 2021 would be absolutely crippling economically. If football leagues etc cannot start by August / September, it would mean they cannot go ahead at all. The prospect of schools and universities not being able to reopen in early autumn seems unthinkable......there must be close to 1m people (children and adults) in Ireland involved in fulltime education.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement