Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rockfish wrote: »
    How the hell can you have a contact sport like ours with social distancing? Sooner people realise that barring a miracle we aint having a cship this year the better. GAA should have more or less said so today instead of giving people false hope

How are the Bundesliga getting ready to play again then? And the English leagues and Prem Lgue are planning playing behind closed doors? Maybe GAA will too. Maybe the strict social distancing may be reduced to permit games behind closed doors in Aug - Dec sometime. That is why the GAA didnt call it all off today i imagine. Things may be different in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Behind closed door GAA will do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The problem with behind closed doors is that one player (just 1!) from a team gets the virus, will that shut the whole championship down? Presumably, the players on that team would have to isolate in that case. Consequently the team would not be able to participate. So what happens then???? So I am not sure behind closed doors is the solution either......

I'd tend to agree.

Regardless of official government recommendations or policy people will continue to social distance for their own safety and you cannot run a major sports competition with social distancing.

The league won't return either.

So Mayo are still league champions, yahoooo.

I would have more faith in finishing the league than the championship. More because we are so close to the end of it. If there are no matches in the next few months and things ease off for whatever reason, there could be a real desire for matches in October / November.

The problem with behind closed doors is that one player (just 1!) from a team gets the virus, will that shut the whole championship down? Presumably, the players on that team would have to isolate in that case. Consequently the team would not be able to participate. So what happens then???? So I am not sure behind closed doors is the solution either......

Yes so what do we do then. Because a player could get it next summer 2021 also. Or 2022. Why dont we wait until then to play a few games? Do we wait for 1-2 years until every player is vaccinated? Might not even have a vaccine in 2 years. So what do we do? Just shut it down for years in case one player gets it? Or two or three or whatever. The virus doesnt seem to be going anywhere and will be with us for years so we just close everything down for years. Is this the solution? I seriously hope not.

• Advertisement

Would be nothing without a bit of atmosphere and a crowd.

Would be nothing without a bit of atmosphere and a crowd.

Would be something. A lot inferior obviously but desperate times call for desperate measures. For this one year only hopefully.

Would be something. A lot inferior obviously but desperate times call for desperate measures. For this one year only hopefully.

You’re right in fairness. Even if I would give it a miss myself, I’d say there would be a good few would still watch so might as well give it a go. Nobody would be forced to watch anyway.

You’re right in fairness. Even if I would give it a miss myself, I’d say there would be a good few would still watch so might as well give it a go. Nobody would be forced to watch anyway.

Id say viewing figures would be through the roof. I know its not the same but ive been to loads of club games over the years with a man and a dog in attendance and the matches can still be good and enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

I'm not sure there is an appetite there amongst players for playing behind closed doors.

Can the GAA operate without income from gate receipts? I know little in terms of the specifics involved but there must be numerous different costs associated with staging games. On the one hand, you'd imagine sponsorship and broadcast income would be a major help, and not having to police/steward crowds would lower costs, but I don't know enough to be able to definitively say the show could go on as normal financially without paying attendees.

The comments from Tony Holohan yesterday were a bit of a reality check; he suggested the restrictions on public gatherings will be in place until we reach a stage of herd immunity (that is acheived via a vaccine) which I can't imagine will happen in 2020, and is starting to make me wonder about 2021 as well.

I think best case scenario is we get to run the club championships this year unfortunately, and I'd gladly take that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

The premier league is professional
    The clubs have obligations to tv companies who in effect pay the players wages
    So all parties want it to go ahead due to the money involved

All GAA players are amateur
    If the intercounty championship goes ahead be hung closed doors AND is televised then I would be absolutely disgusted
    The GAA and tv companies benefit alright but the players and associated management teams , physios, bus drivers Are risking their health
    It would be pure and utter greed , morally wrong and just disgusting
    We all want a bit of football
    But I can live without it until the players safety can be assured

When that is the case start with club games
    Smaller crowds and I think it’s really important for the smaller communities who are working so hard together right now

Intercounty May have to wait till 2021

km79 wrote: »
    The premier league is professional
    The clubs have obligations to tv companies who in effect pay the players wages
    So all parties want it to go ahead due to the money involved

All GAA players are amateur
    If the intercounty championship goes ahead be hung closed doors AND is televised then I would be absolutely disgusted
    The GAA and tv companies benefit alright but the players and associated management teams , physios, bus drivers Are risking their health
    It would be pure and utter greed , morally wrong and just disgusting
    We all want a bit of football
    But I can live without it until the players safety can be assured

When that is the case start with club games
    Smaller crowds and I think it’s really important for the smaller communities who are working so hard together right now

Intercounty May have to wait till 2021

But why will intercounty be able to go ahead in 2021 if thats the case? It will be the same. The virus is going nowhere. And vaccine wont be available for 12-18 months at best. So why do you think it will go ahead next summer if you want the players safety to be assured. What if no vaccine is proven to work for 5 years?

But why will intercounty be able to go ahead in 2021 if thats the case? It will be the same. The virus is going nowhere. And vaccine wont be available for 12-18 months at best. So why do you think it will go ahead next summer if you want the players safety to be assured. What if no vaccine is proven to work for 5 years?

I said may have to wait till 2021
    It may have to wait till 2022 so in that case
    Unless player safety can be assured

I said may have to wait till 2021
    It may have to wait till 2022 so in that case
    Unless player safety can be assured

Ok. So no vaccine thats proven to work, No games. Look forward to seeing some action in 2025.

Ok. So no vaccine thats proven to work, No games. Look forward to seeing some action in 2025.

If there’s no vaccine then it won’t be 2025 either. I’d bank on one a lot quicker than 12-18 months though.

If there’s no vaccine then it won’t be 2025 either. I’d bank on one a lot quicker than 12-18 months though.

So no games until proven vaccine is accessible to every player and every person in the country.

Yes so what do we do then. Because a player could get it next summer 2021 also. Or 2022. Why dont we wait until then to play a few games? Do we wait for 1-2 years until every player is vaccinated? Might not even have a vaccine in 2 years. So what do we do? Just shut it down for years in case one player gets it? Or two or three or whatever. The virus doesnt seem to be going anywhere and will be with us for years so we just close everything down for years. Is this the solution? I seriously hope not.

Even if a vaccine does not become available, the world will be far more enlightened about living alongside the virus in a few months time that it is right now. As we see in some European countries now, they are loosening restrictions to see how they cope living alongside it. It might just be that the time for that in Ireland might be too soon for a championship this year.

So no games until proven vaccine is accessible to every player and every person in the country.

Shouldn’t be anyway. Money will dictate that there will be though.

Even if a vaccine does not become available, the world will be far more enlightened about living alongside the virus in a few months time that it is right now. As we see in some European countries now, they are loosening restrictions to see how they cope living alongside it. It might just be that the time for that in Ireland might be too soon for a championship this year.

Yes it might be. But saying it wont start again until players safety is guaranteed is off the mark in my opinion. Peoples safety is/may never be guaranteed with this virus. I dont see games waiting for a workable vaccine before they restart. That could take donkeys years.This summer may be too early but id be very surprised if 2021 was cancelled too because there was no vaccine to guarantee safety. Lets wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

If that's the case it won't be going ahead. After all these players are amateurs. Insurance will be another issue. I doubt any players will be cover if they are breaking guidelines.

• Advertisement

Assuming you are lucky enough to still be alive in that case!!!!

Assuming you are lucky enough to still be alive in that case!!!!

Who wants to live through 5 more years of this? No thanks your welcome to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Pubs/supermarkets/parks/beaches etc are going to be full of people when Leo gives us the all clear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm not leaving my local for that day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭rrs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pubs/supermarkets/parks/beaches etc are going to be full of people when Leo gives us the all clear

Pubs will be one of the last things to open. Beaches a long way off too. How would you expect to give a beach an All Clear when there is no vaccine?

It's not a case of saying back to normality, will be changes for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

PTH2009 wrote: »

There will be no such thing as an 'all clear'. Even when things reopen, social distancing will be an on going feature of our lives at least until a vaccine emerges.

So will the Championship format and dates (all provisional of course) been know after this Congress or is it just to form a plan for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No, you're quite right so in the unlikely event of the cship being played i think the most likely scenario is an 'open' draw type knockout with top 8 teams seeded

I think this is an really enjoyable prospect back to the good auld days. Real knockout and a bit of tension no matter who is playing. Because it is all on the day.

The irony is not lost on me that for years and years people have been going on about championship restructuring (especially in football). It has only taken a global pandemic for the GAA to be forced to change! :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will make county boards less resistant to change and the status quo will not be resorted to once things calm down. It is a great chance for root and branch restructuring - provincials, league, championship, fixtures - the works.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think this is an really enjoyable prospect back to the good auld days. Real knockout and a bit of tension no matter who is playing. Because it is all on the day.

The irony is not lost on me that for years and years people have been going on about championship restructuring (especially in football). It has only taken a global pandemic for the GAA to be forced to change! :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will make county boards less resistant to change and the status quo will not be resorted to once things calm down. It is a great chance for root and branch restructuring - provincials, league, championship, fixtures - the works.

Even though i wouldnt favour a knockout format returning in normal times i must say when this crack started and it looked like the season would be shortened etc i was salivating at the possibility of Mayo V Galway in a winner take all Connacht Cship game later in the summer. Its years since they have beaten us in a knockout game :D

Advertisement