Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protecting the elderly - hasn't really worked all that well

Options
1235»

Comments

Unfortunately nursing homes weren't prepared at all for the likes of this, the country wasn't so it's no surprise nursing homes aren't.

Even with the recent testing, if a nursing home's staff test positive, say 40% of them, can the nursing home operate with 60% staff?

It's not really anyone's fault that nursing homes weren't best prepared for the likes of Covid19, it's an unprecedented situation in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Scoondal wrote: »
    My mother's nursing home told us last week that my mother was to be given valium every day. That is what we get when we allow profit making companies treat nursing home care as an oppurtunity to make money. And now they want the state to bail them out. Disgusting.

A nursing home can only give medicine that is prescribed by the residents Doctor. Unless your Mum has a diagnosed anxiety disorder, I cant see how this is appropriate prescribing. You should ask for a phone consult with her doctor to discuss other options if she is anxious or stressed. Medication is the last option when all other measures have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

A nursing home can only give medicine that is prescribed by the residents Doctor. Unless your Mum has a diagnosed anxiety disorder, I cant see how this is appropriate prescribing. You should ask for a phone consult with her doctor to discuss other options if she is anxious or stressed. Medication is the last option when all other measures have failed.

Oh really ?
    The company said that they had to stop her walking around and that she did not understand social distancing. We cannot phone because calls are not answered. There is no doctor ... they have a doctor. It is now almost no communication.
    Their solution is valium. This is a fact.
    These profit making companies are a disgrace on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Dad has beaten it.

He had it for 3 weeks. They told us Dementia and COVID 19 are not a good mix. The Dementia patients have no idea why people are coming at them with masks and suits and why they are moved from where they know and the staff that know them.

The nurse the other day told me "he is some man", so I knew then he was going to be ok.

It is a bitter sweet feeling, as so many others haven't made it.

Thinking of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

So profit making companies had no real business plans .. they want to be bailed out. It is a disgusting industry, how Ireland respects the people who made our country what it is today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement