Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

At least he had the good sense to come to the clothing recommendations thread. It's tiresome merging lights recommendation threads every few weeks. The sites creaking search facility doesn't help things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

woody1 wrote: »
    any reccomendations for good windproof and waterproof gloves

i have a decent pair of galibier gloves but they cant deal with heavy rain, hands are still not cold , despite being damp just if you have to take them off its impossible to get them back on, they do a great job in the cold, but any heavy rain and they are soaked through..

ive had neoprene, but my hands were bloody freezing in them , they are probably on the tight side, but id be wary of getting another pair

have spent the week reading reviews and i'm no wiser really,

Déporvillage have a good range of gloves including Castelli, goretex on offer just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

This time every year someone asks the same question. Maybe do a search here in the Cycling forum and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Did a search looked at a page full of threads mentioning gloves didn't see anything definitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

woody1 wrote: »
    Did a search looked at a page full of threads mentioning gloves didn't see anything definitive

That's probably because what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. As mentioned before (probably last November), for really cold days I rely on a pair of chemical hand warmers inside the gloves but I suffer from cold hands and feet. Normally the very cold days aren't too wet which is just as well as most of the warmer gloves aren't particularly waterproof after an hour or so of rain. I have a neoprene pair too but, like you, find they have virtually no insulation. I know they are meant to trap a layer of water and that's meant to heat up but that has never worked for me.

That's probably because what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another.

Yep.. based in north mayo will be doing more 4 hour plus wknd spins through the winter and will be getting rained on more often than not guess I was looking for gloves that are as waterproof as possible reading different reviews certain gloves claiming to be waterproof don't seem to be... and also that the feckin liner doesn't come out when you take them off for a minute ... took a shot on the madison avalanches in the end .. read some decent reviews price not crazy and at least the liner is sewn in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

The best pair of gloves on a cold wet day is the spare pair you have in a plastic bag in your pocket.....

There is no such thing as waterproof gloves, water will get in down the sleeves of your jacket and up the lining.

On really cold days a pair of silk liners are handy things to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭secman

The last waterproof proof pair i bought happened to have a plastic type lining inside one of the layers, kept rain out but the sweat was as bad and it couldn't get out !
    Maybe Goretex gloves are the answer ??

nilhg wrote: »
    The best pair of gloves on a cold wet day is the spare pair you have in a plastic bag in your pocket.....

There is no such thing as waterproof gloves, water will get in down the sleeves of your jacket and up the lining.

On really cold days a pair of silk liners are handy things to have...

This is where boards is great .....water getting in off the sleeves hadn't occurred to me ...although I had noticed it running off tights and into overshoes and socks ... just being a bit dim I guess .... last spin I was doing loops and called to the house for spare gloves and bringing spares is probably the long term solution

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I use the Galibier Deep Winter gloves and they keep my hands warm, not that I suffer with cold hands per se, now cold feet is another thing!.

I saw a tip on GCN where they bring a pair of latex gloves that they can slip on under their normal gloves if there's a downpour in order to keep the hand warm. I guess the theory is that the latex will trap sweat like a wetsuit traps a thin layer of water and body heat will keep this thin layer warm even if your outer gloves get soaked through.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

D13exile wrote: »
    I use the Galibier Deep Winter gloves and they keep my hands warm, not that I suffer with cold hands per se, now cold feet is another thing!.

I saw a tip on GCN where they bring a pair of latex gloves that they can slip on under their normal gloves if there's a downpour in order to keep the hand warm. I guess the theory is that the latex will trap sweat like a wetsuit traps a thin layer of water and body heat will keep this thin layer warm even if your outer gloves get soaked through.
    ...and allegedly a plastic bag on each foot (I haven't tried it yet)

• Advertisement

...and allegedly a plastic bag on each foot (I haven't tried it yet)

ive done the tin foil and clingfilm over the socks before i had a decent pair of overshoes, and it does work

i used to wear surgical gloves under the gloves to keep hands dry, hands got very sweaty but it was effective ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've circulation issues, so cold (and funny coloured when they get cold) hands and feet.

As mentioned previously, Boots were the game changer for my feet - no matter what sock/ shoe/ tin foil/ overshoe combo I used.

Hands in cold and wet, I use neoprene gloves and then sized gloves to go over the top. I can still use the gears and brakes better than I can than when my fingers go numb and stop working with the cold. For cold dry days - layers. I use a couple of pairs of liner gloves, and then sized my top gloves based on that (so sized up in effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

What glasses do people recommend??
    My eyes get kind of watery when I'm at speed or have a head wind to the point I can't see my wahoo on my bars

Something that I could use at night and day would be good.
    Would changeable lenses or photocheomatic lenses be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

What glasses do people recommend??
    My eyes get kind of watery when I'm at speed or have a head wind to the point I can't see my wahoo on my bars

Something that I could use at night and day would be good.
    Would changeable lenses or photocheomatic lenses be better?

+1 to this. My glasses, while they do the job intended, slip down my nose and I end up looking at the top of the frame or over them when riding in a crouched position. Are there any “Dennis Taylor” type glasses or ones that would stay in place and have narrow or no frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah I'd love some real experience here

I bought these over the summer - Galibier Ardennes
    https://galibier.cc/product/ardennes-shield-optics/

I only find them alright.
    Main issue is sweat running on inside.
    If I move them slightly down my nose I can get 50mins or an hour before I get an issue.
    Also I bought the dark ones. Getting a bit useless now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭cletus

I bought a pair of glasses in Lidl a few years ago, with swappable lenses. Couldn't find them online, but these Muddy Fox branded ones from sports direct look identical.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-sunglasses-100-adults-937807?google&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3OpkK85N98I0nV-CEQTMAH4CR4bld43NZhu_E49uWygbBTyxYZ6ywaAhNFEALw_wcB#colcode=93780703

They don't follow the current trend for huge glasses, though

Meant to add that I have no issues with them fogging up, or with sweat on the inside etc

They have a big heavy top frame.
    Is it in the eyeline on the drops?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭cletus

They have a big heavy top frame.
    Is it in the eyeline on the drops?

I've had no issues with them at all. The frame at the top is about in line with my eyebrows.

Just to note. I don't have the ones in the link, but they look very similar to my ones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I bought a Mistral Pro a few weeks ago and it's brilliant. Unfortunately it's out of stock in my size now. They still have Mistral Foul Weather in stock though. I can't seem to figure out the difference between the two - anyone have both and could compare them a bit?

keane2097 wrote: »
    I bought a Mistral Pro a few weeks ago and it's brilliant. Unfortunately it's out of stock in my size now. They still have Mistral Foul Weather in stock though. I can't seem to figure out the difference between the two - anyone have both and could compare them a bit?

Pro is for colder weather, weatherproofing is pretty much the same. Wearing an extra layer or two under the standard Mistral will get you roughly the same effect.
    Both great bits of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro is for colder weather, weatherproofing is pretty much the same. Wearing an extra layer or two under the standard Mistral will get you roughly the same effect.
    Both great bits of kit.

Is the 'Foul Weather' essentially the standard version? I presume the standard version doesn't have the double zip system the pro has?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is the 'Foul Weather' essentially the standard version? I presume the standard version doesn't have the double zip system the pro has?

Exactly, foul weather was the original, I think it's on version 4 or 5 now, pro came a few years later, pro has the double zip arrangement plus added fleecy type insulation inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Both great bits of kit.

Had to take my jersey off underneath my mistral (original) last 2 days.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had to take my jersey off underneath my mistral (original) last 2 days.

I was out the this morning early with mine, a gen 1, l/s baselayer, mistral and a light gilet over the top, on the Curragh garmin was reporting the temp as 2c, by the time I got home gilet was in the pocket.

-2C the other morning I had Pro on over a similar l/s baselayer, very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Recommendations for a white/clear rain cape? Have a clear Funkier rain cape I picked up for 20 quid a few months ago - had it on this morning over a Perfetto for the two hours of rain, was sweating so much that when I took it off I thought I'd catch a chill.

Looking for something more breathable? How are the Sportful Hot Pack range and is the white a bit clear? (would do for keeping race numbers visible)

I was out the this morning early with mine, a gen 1, l/s baselayer, mistral and a light gilet over the top, on the Curragh garmin was reporting the temp as 2c, by the time I got home gilet was in the pocket.

-2C the other morning I had Pro on over a similar l/s baselayer, very comfy.

We're all different
    I was out yesterday morning, 2 degrees
    Light base, l/s UA thermal and a v light jersey.
    Galibier Aix (light) gilet.
    Had the gilet shed after an hour. Sweating.

Be a different story if it were wet!!

Any further clear glasses recommended?

Resorted to pair of these yesterday, cus I had them in the car
    https://images.app.goo.gl/R8SCdvvRR65qDiH8A

Better than nothing but foggged up and sweat was running inside them

This time of year I use a pair of Decathlon photochromic glasses, find them great, they are a couple of years old at this stage but still going strong.

The exact same model doesn't seem to be available but these are the newer version

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/cat-1-3-photochromic-xc-mountain-bike-glasses-race-neon-en-s307939.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

I bought a pair of tights to wear with my bib shorts for the colder days.
    Would ye recommend them over or under the shorts?
    I've tried them on both ways and can't decide which is best. I'm leaning towards over as I'd be in direct contact with the pad. Don't want to head out on the bike wishing I'd done it the other way round.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    I bought a pair of tights to wear with my bib shorts for the colder days.
    Would ye recommend them over or under the shorts?
    I've tried them on both ways and can't decide which is best. I'm leaning towards over as I'd be in direct contact with the pad. Don't want to head out on the bike wishing I'd done it the other way round.

Over
    What kind you get.
    I've endura multi tights.
    (And a few other running ones)
    Find them too light

Advertisement