Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You can't enter a shop at all in Austria now if you aren't wearing one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ShyMets wrote: »
    People should be wearing masks in public or at the very least should cover they're mouth and nose with a scarf.

However the reality is that unless this becomes a government directive people wont do it.

I certainly won't do it unless were directed to do so. And they won't direct us to do so unless there are enough masks for all those who need them in the health and emergency services, then there will need to be enough for everyone else too.

I don't even know where to get one. but I could probably make one handy enough if I can get the appropriate material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I certainly won't do it unless were directed to do so. And they won't direct us to do so unless there are enough masks for all those who need them in the health and emergency services, then there will need to be enough for everyone else too.

I don't even know where to get one. but I could probably make one handy enough if I can get the appropriate material.

Its a good point. The government would need to deliver masks to every house in the country of have local collection points set up. Masks rationed to x amount per household. And only if we had more then enough stock for health care workers

Otherwise we'd just have panic buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Yes: to protect myself and others
    Sorry if this is covered already, but say you had a limited number of FFP3 masks and wanted to re-use them if only worn for a few minutes, is putting the mask somewhere secure for two weeks before re-using an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes: other
    gozunda wrote: »
    Disagree. You may as well attempt to claim that people wont bother putting on their trousers because they consciously or otherwise feel they are already dressed by putting on a shirt / jumper...

The lenghts that some have gone to to ridicule / undermine mask wearing is truely beond all logic and reason.

With regards to the potential of infection of yourself and others

Hand washing is beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

Wearing a mask is also beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

It remains the two go hand in hand. Much like wearing both a pair of trousers and a shirt / jumper.

If there really are cretins out there who cant grasp this very basic concept. God help us.

Ah here. There are studies that show people are more risk embracing when they are wearing protective equipment than otherwise. Comparing that to not wearing trousers is just silly.

These people aren't cretins, they are normal people who are not used to going about their daily business wearing PPE.
    Washing your hands is a perfectly normal thing to do, we have been doing it all our lives so asking people to do something normal more frequently isnt a big leap, wearing PPE isn't normal for 99% of the world. You are being silly equating them to jumpers and trousers is frankly nonsense.

Ever use a hedge trimmer and feel like Arnie in Predator? Thats the subconscious you are demanding that people fight against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Oh it's not all about me? And here was me thinking you were all self isolating just for me.

Well, I'm going out about once a week or maybe twice in the last 10 days, for food. So no. I don't see picking it up as a big risk or passing it on big risk either TBH. I'll just leave the masks for the people who really need them. Are you masking up every time you leave the house?

But what if all the other people in the shop those 2 times are also taking the same approach that you are? I'm assuming that while in the shop you were touching things and, like any normal person, you then touched your face or poked your eye or just had a good old pick of your nose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you masking up every time you leave the house?
    To go shopping? I am. Have been for the last few weeks. Partially for my protection but more about protecting others. I could have it and be asymptomatic and wearing a mask massively reduces the risk of passing it on to others. Not just directly by person to person either. By wearing a mask you also reduce the risks of contaminating surfaces with expelled droplets, surfaces someone coming behind me who is vulnerable could touch.

Disease transmission basically boils down to links in a chain. Hand washing disrupts a link, social distancing disrupts another, as does sterilising shared public surfaces and masks disrupts yet another.

Even the HSE - we don't have enough for health workers due to our being slow off the mark so we'll tell the public they're useless for them - states that they are to be worn by the symptomatic because they do reduce the risk of transmission. If everyone wore a mask when outside community transmission would fall. This has already been seen in the Czech Republic where their R0 figures have fallen consistently.

And we are still in the early stages of how dangerous this is and how it affects the wider population. The numbers simply aren't in yet to make that call. The death percentage could be 0.5 if there are large pools of very mild cases that resolve out there, or it could be well above 2% if there aren't. In places like Italy and Spain it seems very much higher. So far anyway it does seem to be similar to the 1918 flu pandemic and that ended up killing tens of millions of people. That got people's attention because it was killing young adults disproportionally, this virus is targeting an older demographic. Would you be so blase if it was your demographic it was killing? I doubt it, so why be so blase about risking the lives of those it does?

And it's only killing more of one demographic for now. It could go either way as the second wave comes in. In 1918 it was the second wave that really did the damage as it mutated into something much more vicious. Hopefully not as coronaviruses mutate more slowly than influenza viruses(though they're much harder to make a vaccine for).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Yes: homemade
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    €13 for a single use mask at local pharmacist

Back in February I picked up P3 standard masks for about €4.50. Surgical type masks were available online for about €20/€30, box of 50. I don't know what the quality was like though.

So selling a mask for €13 is really taking the piss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ShyMets wrote: »
    Its a good point. The government would need to deliver masks to every house in the country of have local collection points set up. Masks rationed to x amount per household. And only if we had more then enough stock for health care workers

Otherwise we'd just have panic buying
    I agree with you and ED on that. I reckon a grassroots drive to make up DIY masks is the way forward until supplies do free up. Any tight weave material would do it. For extra filtration cut up a vacuum cleaner bag and fit a sheet of that between the layers. HEPA filter material for extractor fans another source.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Yes: to protect others
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Read the WHO & HSE guidelines on masks. Wearing one to the shops is a waste of a mask and money. They have no proven benefits unless you have the Virus or are nursing someone who has the virus.

Go sit outside a hospital and watch. You won't see doctors & nurses wearing masks coming out of work & on their journey home. They have been trained & they know masks are of no use in general use. They are a comfort thing for adults. Like a comfort blanket for a child. If you need an adults version of a blankey & don't mind looking stupid then go ahead and but them. Like surgical gloves they need to be replaced every 15 to 30 minutes so you will need to invest in a few dozen at a time

That is exactly why there is such high infected rate in doctors and nurses as they are not protected properly. I think these people should be protected with more serious PPE to further reduce the chance of being infected. As for HSE's recommendation, they said it because there are not enough masks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes: valved
    Manion wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why do you think this is not happening?
    I saw this question yesterday and only getting around to it now.
    I understand where you are coming from on the supply side. My statement was a roundabout way of expressing my exasperation that the government knew that this was coming in December and January and should have started planning then to ensure we had adequate supplies of masks, reagents etc.

We had billions in the kitty then, so we could have afforded it.
    Unfortunately they were not proactive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes: valved
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree with you and ED on that. I reckon a grassroots drive to make up DIY masks is the way forward until supplies do free up. Any tight weave material would do it. For extra filtration cut up a vacuum cleaner bag and fit a sheet of that between the layers. HEPA filter material for extractor fans another source.
    I think we need to sticky this info.
    Thanks Wibbs.

Masks should be compulsory if you are out in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Kivaro wrote: »
    I think we need to sticky this info.
    Thanks Wibbs.

Masks should be compulsory if you are out in Ireland.

The mandatory wearing came about from public pressure via social media in the Czech Republic

Is there anything like that we here could get involved in?

At this rate we are essentially hoping and praying the CDC in the US officially recommends it for the public before we'll see any hope of it here

GreeBo wrote: »
    But what if all the other people in the shop those 2 times are also taking the same approach that you are? I'm assuming that while in the shop you were touching things and, like any normal person, you then touched your face or poked your eye or just had a good old pick of your nose.

Yeah, there are risks. I acknowledge that there are risks that I could get the virus. I just keep the trips outside to a minimum and I don't worry that much about it.

Wibbs wrote: »

The vacuum cleaner bag as a layer in between sounds like a good idea.

Just looked on ebay, here's ten vacuum cleaner bags for 12 quid. You could make a good few masks with them cut to size as filter material. Make the main mask so that the filter material can be removed, so you can slap the main mask in the wash to clean it. So all you'd need is elastic material for the straps, finely woven material for the main mask, pipecleaners or even straightened paperclips in a pinch for the nose band, the cut out hoover bag material for the filtration and bobs your uncle and fanny's your aunt. Oh and some sewing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

fr336 wrote: »
    How many people on Boards have a mask and if so are you wearing them for essential trips? And this late in the day where can you get one that is going to be half decent and not from a suspect seller who could have done anything to it?

I have one. I wear it to the supermarket but not out walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Yes: surgical
    I have a mask decent one used it for painting. i would wear it while im shopping but for the life of me i cant get the confidence to put it on. I feel a bit of a jack ass with it on in public. i brought it with me in the car to go to lidl and went to strap it on but looked in the rear view mirror and thought "jasus everyone will be looking at me with this thing on" left it on car seat :D I should stop caring what others think of me! From what I saw not many people wear them so didnt want to be the odd man out :P

Look at it another way IP, as well as being the ultimate self protection for your airways wearing one of those looking like Darth Vader's slow witted brother will also guarantee social distancing by others. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭juno10353

When in supermarkets etc please do cover mouth area as a courtesy and respect to those who are risking their health working to facilitate you.

Do not change your behaviour to avoid being infected

Assume you are infected and change your behaviour
    To avoid transmitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Weirdly I had bought a good load of hoover bags just before Christmas as I got a feeling the company might stop making them for my poor wee hoover. I feel like a prophetess now! (And not for the first time, himself might say. :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I have a mask decent one used it for painting. i would wear it while im shopping but for the life of me i cant get the confidence to put it on. I feel a bit of a jack ass with it on in public. i brought it with me in the car to go to lidl and went to strap it on but looked in the rear view mirror and thought "jasus everyone will be looking at me with this thing on" left it on car seat :D I should stop caring what others think of me! From what I saw not many people wear them so didnt want to be the odd man out :P

People have started wearing them in my village which is in the arse end of a bog. Be a forerunner, a trendsetter. NEVER be afraid to be a gobshyte, is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I saw group of young lads sitting outside Tesco with masks on, as if a new fashion trend, I doubt they were all siblings from the same household, they looked like eejits

Many things can be used as masks, Hoover bags as said, folded inside scarves etc. Many YouTube videos. Also coffee filters, panty liners, folded tissue....or all that loo roll paper
    Baby wipes....... all folded into piece of fabric and wrapped around mouth like scarf. Also ladies boob tube bra tops.....unpadded

Anything that covers your mouth and prevents spittle landing on surfaces or people. Every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The sewing skills are not necessary,and would put anyone off attempting to make masks....hot glue guns work perfectly well with material(cotton).

juno10353 wrote: »
    Also ladies boob tube bra tops.....unpadded

507865.jpg

:D

In Spain Decathalon has donated all stock of full face snorkelling masks to hospitals where 3d manufactures have made adapter allow to become ventilator

The sewing skills are not necessary,and would put anyone off attempting to make masks....hot glue guns work perfectly well with material(cotton).
    Never even considered the glue option. Good call S.

Those people most at risk, those over 70's men and women would be more able for sewing than younger folks. My mum made clothes for me and others when I was a kid and my dad was handy with needle and thread too. It was a skill learned by many in the past. Might be a way to use those skills? The worry would be breaking the cocooning aspect in distribution.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement