Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    railer201 wrote: »
    Within that link is another link to their updated PDF - Advice on the use of face masks - which, in the instance of non-medical (cloth) face masks, refers to 'decision makers' in the third person, so apparently nothing to do with them.

Who then (pardon the pun) are our decision makers and will they lead the way in ensuring we, the public, will wear masks when the lockdown is lifted and we have to mingle closely with other people on public transport, footpaths, in shops etc.?
    railer201 wrote: »
    Yes, who wants this virus entering their bodies if it can be blocked by a mask ? Make no mistake if someone sneezes or coughs close by, you stand a very good chance of inhaling the droplets by not wearing a mask. The Lotto is won regularly but luck runs the opposite way too.

Why wait for the HSE to recommend wearing masks, when they in turn are waiting for the WHO, who are in turn leaving it to the decision makers ??? (see post 1437 above). So in reality we're going round in circles. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's only fully dawning on me now. This coffin ship was captainless and rudderless when it launched into the COVID-19 waters.

Ireland has been wrapping herself in legislation for so long now that postions of leadership have become impotent. I'm not waiting on her to unwrap and show her pride.

The WHO is firing silver bullets, the HSE has been in a wartime footing, now might be a good time for Irish people to wake the feCovide up!

Take the fight to the virus by masking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,945 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams shows Americans how to make a facial covering using an old T-shirt and two rubber bands.

Just to point out, a week or so before that video was uploaded the good Surgeon General was vehemently against the use of masks.

Now he is teaching Americans how to make them.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes: homemade
    Multipass wrote: »
    I don’t have any surgical masks, and I don’t think I should attempt to buy them while they’re still in short supply for frontline staff. I believe a homemade cotton mask is as effective as a chocolate teapot. I don’t speak to anyone, I’m not coughing or sneezing, I keep my mouth closed when I go out. So that’s a no.

You will have to talk sometimes and a sudden cough or sneeze is not preventable.
    Mask up.

maninasia wrote: »
    You will have to talk sometimes and a sudden cough or sneeze is not preventable.
    Mask up.

Yes cough in your mask. If moisture builds up too much from coughing/sneezing, simply put on a fresh mask. It's far safer than the tissue and arguably the sleeve as the sleeve becomes the equivalent of a used tissue.

The CDC started recommending coughing into your sleeve in the 1990's heaven knows when the HSE first started promoting the sleeve tissue, I'd be interested to know.

Effectiveness of cough etiquette maneuvers in disrupting the chain of transmission of infectious respiratory diseases.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-12.34.02.png

Very entertaining and educational video, great for kids and big kids.

Quick grab below of some of
    article in the Chicago Tribune reckoning that nobody had anything negative to say about hand coughing until the 1990’s.

In my day, parents and teachers told us kids to cover our mouths with our hands when we coughed or sneezed.

So we did. And when there was a bit of extra phlegm on our palms, we wiped it off on a convenient surface. We didn't have any fancy anti-bacterial goo in little hand pumps, either. We shared our germs. And we liked it!

Things are different now. In 1988, GoJo Industries of Akron, Ohio, began selling Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer to health-care and food-service businesses and in 1997 introduced it as a consumer product. Purell is now a Johnson & Johnson product and reportedly leads what is now a rapidly growing $90 million annual market for disinfectant gels.

And that advice about catching a cough or sneeze in your hand? History.
    Today, as public health officials trying to contain the spread of swine flu have been reminding us frequently, the advice is to cough "into your arm," as the Illinois Department of Public Health says in informational materials, or "into your upper sleeve," as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

Since when? Neither agency had any idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,945 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Scottish Government have just recommended wearing face masks on public transport and in shops.

On April 3rd their clinical director said
    the Scottish government's national clinical director has said there is "no evidence" to support members of the public wearing protective face masks.

Is it just me or is anyone starting to see a pattern here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Refreshing to see an expert tell it how it is; (skip to 7 mins 5 seconds)

"It would be better to create an environment where you don't need to wear a mask through social or physical distancing, but we need to visit public areas[...]
    "People may spread the disease before they're aware they're infected.... there's no other way then to wear a mask going to public places"

Boggles wrote: »
    Scottish Government have just recommended wearing face masks on public transport and in shops.

On April 3rd their clinical director said

[/B]

Is it just me or is anyone starting to see a pattern here?

Pattern repeating alright. WHO fired the shot on april 6th, they didn't know about asympomatic spread until 2nd week in February.

Note not being made mandatory and will not be enforced at this stage. Nice easy introduction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    Seanergy wrote: »
    they didn't know about asympomatic spread until 2nd week in February.
    Yup, though if you recall one of our own so called experts was wheeled out by the HSE to inform people that living with a known covid19 contact was low risk until they started getting the sniffles, in the first week of March. That's the level of mediocrity and incompetence we've been dealing with in this country and one reason why our numbers of dead are too damned high.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

Surely, a mouth-covering would be enough because droplets that could infect cannot fly out of the nose.

How about holding a tissue to the mouth when on the bus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Surely, a mouth-covering would be enough because droplets that could infect cannot fly out of the nose.

How about holding a tissue to the mouth when on the bus?
    You can't be serious? You've heard of sneezing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The prime minister of France just announced that some restrictions will be lifted there on the 11th of May, and that consequently wearing masks will become mandatory in some circumstances - specifically while using public transport.

That is a government which used to have a "masks are not of any benefit to the general public" policy such as ours - so as expected the party line on their usefulness is changing as masks become more available.

Yes: surgical
    Got a box of 50 good masks from my local chemist in South a Dublin suburbs. They have tons of boxes available, costing an absolute fortune, something well over €100 for them. I got other medicines and disposable gloves galore too and the bill came to €170.

Yes: surgical
    I watched a program I had recorded last night, a Psnorama special on the scandal of the government having failed to correctly prepare for an overdue pandemic. Lots of NHS staff have died needlessly, it was heartbreaking to watch. Of course we have a similar situation here in Ireland, in that we hadn’t stockpiled proper kit.

Bob24 wrote: »
    French prime minister just announced that some restrictions will be lifted there on the 11th of May, and that consequently wearing masks will become mandatory in some circumstances - specifically while using public transport.

That is a government which used to have a "masks are not of any benefit" policy such as ours - so as expected the party line on their usefulness is changing as masks become more available.

The pattern is repeating: This time in France.

Aricle: from Saturday April 25 - published in le Journal Officiel - authorises pharmacies to sell “non-healthcare masks”, meaning that they are made of fabric, and are washable and reusable.

The pharmacy decree comes as government scientific advisory council le Conseil Scientifique published a recommendation on Sunday April 26 that masks should be worn in public, and said that they should be “available for the majority of the population, and distributed as a priority to people in regular contact with the public”.

The most basic, simple, fabric masks will be sold for €2-€5 each, said the minister for health. Those of a higher quality, which will withstand washing at 60°C up to 50 times or more, will cost around €15-€20 each.

The FSPF president also called for pharmacies to be able to distribute masks free of charge to the most vulnerable in society, especially if wearing masks becomes compulsory in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Seanergy wrote: »
    The pattern is repeating: This time in France.

Aricle: from Saturday April 25 - published in le Journal Officiel - authorises pharmacies to sell “non-healthcare masks”, meaning that they are made of fabric, and are washable and reusable.

The pharmacy decree comes as government scientific advisory council le Conseil Scientifique published a recommendation on Sunday April 26 that masks should be worn in public, and said that they should be “available for the majority of the population, and distributed as a priority to people in regular contact with the public”.

The most basic, simple, fabric masks will be sold for €2-€5 each, said the minister for health. Those of a higher quality, which will withstand washing at 60°C up to 50 times or more, will cost around €15-€20 each.

The FSPF president also called for pharmacies to be able to distribute masks free of charge to the most vulnerable in society, especially if wearing masks becomes compulsory in the coming weeks.

The above is also running as a news item on Euronews today. This is the type of media blast needed so that people get the picture on mask wearing, and behave in homogeneous manner, in that the majority of people wear them.

Unfortunately, we still have to hear from our decision makers so that we might be able to say the pattern is repeating here. Or, maybe it will be a collective DIY endeavour by the proles which will be rubber stamped later on from on high. I won't hold my breath on it being the former !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

Wibbs wrote: »
    You can't be serious? You've heard of sneezing?

I doubt that droplets travel as far out of the nose as they do out of the mouth when a sneeze happens.

Anyone else find it remarkable that now we have a global pandemic and all these countries just lied about the efficacy of masks.? I can barely wrap my head around it.

It was a useful "lie" when PPE supplies were low and needed for healthcare frontline workers, now it's an embarrassing one. Then again at various stages we've been told low chance of human to human transmission, air travel isn't an issue, you're only infectious when symptomatic, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Will we get another announcement on Friday about the extension of the restrictions?

They better tell us about facemask use then.

When will Ireland stand up and follow the rest of the countries that did a U-turn on mask wearing?

How can they announce longer restrictions to prevent the spread?... You know what else works to prevent the spread... Face masks

And if they do ask us to wear masks... They probably won't introduce fines for not wearing them in public... It's just a whole fcuking joke at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Jetblue, which is the Aer Lingus partner for US domestic flights, is imposing a new rule whereby all passengers have to wear a mask inlflight.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jetblue-becomes-first-airline-require-passengers-wear-masks-n1194091

Passengers will be given a mask at check-in.

I think it is a great idea.

When will Ireland stand up and follow the rest of the countries that did a U-turn on mask wearing?
    When all the rest do it first. As usual the authorities here are lagging behind. Sure we've done better than the UK, but they ran a disastrous campaign outa the gate. About the only thing they did right here and in a timely fashion was closing the schools. In every other case, including the lockdown(what was it a fortnight before they gave our Gardai any powers to actually enforce it?) they've been mediocre and people have and will die from their headless chicken incompetence.

Wibbs wrote: »
    When all the rest do it first. As usual the authorities here are lagging behind. Sure we've done better than the UK, but they ran a disastrous campaign outa the gate. About the only thing they did right here and in a timely fashion was closing the schools. In every other case, including the lockdown(what was it a fortnight before they gave our Gardai any powers to actually enforce it?) they've been mediocre and people have and will die from their headless chicken incompetence.

I don't understand the point of the restrictions at this stage. Other countries are easing restrictions but with the use of face masks. Here, with a half arsed lockdown we are allowed out and no face masks???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Meantime Leo Varadkar poses with his mask down at his chin while standing at a testing centre.

You couldn’t make it up

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/leo-varadkar-helps-with-coronavirus-testing-on-traveller-accommodation-site-39164399.html

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Meantime Leo Varadkar poses with his mask down at his chin while standing at a testing centre
    You couldn’t make it up really

Is this for real?

Is this for real?

I can’t seem to paste the link
    Go to the Independent online

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

No: other
    I think Leo with dangling mask was a few weeks ago now...

I would like to think if DIY outlets being opened that they will also open fabric an sewing accessories shops too. Even 'online' is hard to get stuff.... And all the clothing that charity shops dump.... and they are closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Meantime Leo Varadkar poses with his mask down at his chin while standing at a testing centre.

You couldn’t make it up

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/leo-varadkar-helps-with-coronavirus-testing-on-traveller-accommodation-site-39164399.html

Nothing wrong with that, he is in scrubs and working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I watched a program I had recorded last night, a Psnorama special on the scandal of the government having failed to correctly prepare for an overdue pandemic. Lots of NHS staff have died needlessly, it was heartbreaking to watch. Of course we have a similar situation here in Ireland, in that we hadn’t stockpiled proper kit.

It's one of those things that you get with any disaster that happens infrequently and irregularly. Most gear has a use by date so stockpiling it leads to high wastage over time.. and when you have competing budget demands and administrators looking to cut wastage the budget will get hit more and more as the time from the last outbreak passes and then bang it happens and you're found short. PPE supply needs to be handled cooperatively and globally in future imo, although the sheer scale of it compared to other disasters will make it tricky to achieve

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that, he is in scrubs and working.

There most certainly is what wrong with taking his mask down and it dangling under his chin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement