Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Going into shops, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes: valved
    I have a mask and use it when going into shops.
    Not every time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

Yes: to protect others
    My understanding was that we were told masks were of no value to us because they were afraid the hospital staff would run short. My logic told me if the hospital staff wore them to prevent picking up the virus from patients then they have to be of some value, so I am wearing one. When the masks got more plentiful and people started making their own they changed their tune and said well maybe masks are of some benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Would a simple yes or no poll have been easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

That poll isn’t skewed at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nah, wouldn’t even know where I’d get one. I’m fcuked if I’m driving around town like a lunatic queuing for them either.
    Funny in an old job I had would have had endless access to them and other ppe.
    I just keep away from people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

My understanding was that we were told masks were of no value to us because....

Yes correct but we don't know the reasoning why the HSE have been stating this.

The HSE is operating a delayed response inline with WHO advice, WHO advice as of the 26th of April is

WHO - "Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community."

trapp wrote: »
    Would a simple yes or no poll have been easier?

Probably, but this is what I started, first time doing a poll and all. In fairness the interface for setting up polls isn't great!

Seanergy wrote: »

The HSE is operating a delayed response inline with WHO advice, WHO advice as of the 26th of April is

WHO - "Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community."

Well it doesn't make sense then that if the nurses and doctors feel they are helping them not get the virus from infected people that the same logic doesn't apply to us lay people.

• Advertisement

Then we do know the reasoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

When you wear a mask, you protect others.

So I protect you, you protect me.

But why aren't our government protecting us and telling us to wear them? I have no problem wearing a mask but people are waiting to be told they have to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

i am locked in as i am old , i would like to go out wearing a mask but my question is where do i go to get masks, I am in Dublin 5 and how much do they cost?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No: I don't care enough
    Threads merged

Well it doesn't make sense then that if the nurses and doctors feel they are helping them not get the virus from infected people that the same logic doesn't apply to us lay people.

Alot of things don't make sense concrete.

Respirators are intended to protect the wearer/doctor/nurse, there are different preformance levles. FFP2, FFP3, N95, N99

Surgical masks are intended to reduce the transfer of saliva or respiratory droplets from the wearer/doctor/nurse to others and to the environment.

Surgical maks also decrease the likelihood of potentially infectious droplets from others reaching the mouth and nose of the mask wearer/doctor/nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

My understanding was that we were told masks were of no value to us because they were afraid the hospital staff would run short. My logic told me if the hospital staff wore them to prevent picking up the virus from patients then they have to be of some value, so I am wearing one. When the masks got more plentiful and people started making their own they changed their tune and said well maybe masks are of some benefit.

Exactly that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Irish general public will in the vast majority follow authority. We love authority in this culture. The "rebel Irish" thing is a myth. The most we'll tend to do is a "ah be grand, shure I'll bend the rules a little". You will almost certainly not see the wearing of masks or anything like that come from the grassroots like it did with the Czechs. Sad to say we're a culture that prefers to be led and even sadder to say we've mediocre leaders in the driving seat now.

What masks do you recommend wearing given that the FFP2 is scarce and each person will need many because a mask can only be used once before being discarded.

Also what is best practice when using a mask.

Alot of things don't make sense concrete.

Respirators are intended to protect the wearer/doctor/nurse, there are different preformance levles. FFP2, FFP3, N95, N99

Surgical masks are intended to reduce the transfer of saliva or respiratory droplets from the wearer/doctor/nurse to others and to the environment.

Surgical maks also decrease the likelihood of potentially infectious droplets from others reaching the mouth and nose of the mask wearer/doctor/nurse.

I thought we were just discussing the ordinary masks that we wear now since the coronavirus started.

nick 56 wrote: »
    i am locked in as i am old , i would like to go out wearing a mask but my question is where do i go to get masks, I am in Dublin 5 and how much do they cost?

Hi Nick,

Having a mask is no excuse to be going out if you are not supposed to be going out. Your local pharmacy and or local shops should be stocking, ring them ahead of time to check.

If you were to state that it was essential that you have a mask, well maybe someone could arrange for you to have one! I'm not close to D5, Private message me if you need further help on this and nobody close to you is able to help you.

Prices vary for surgical masks, approx 2/3 euro.

I got 2 (max no they would sell) non re-usable surgical masks in Lloyds Chemist some weeks back - €3 each. There's a branch in Artane, but other chemists should also stock them. Some supermarkets stock them, read back through the thread, names are mentioned somewhere. There's also the DIY option, plenty on that too in this thread.

• Advertisement

You could wear a scarf high around your mouth and nose if you were stuck

You could wear a scarf high around your mouth and nose if you were stuck

Or just stay more than 2m away from people

I thought we were just discussing the ordinary masks that we wear now since the coronavirus started.

'Ordinary masks' are worn by people who do not wish to transmit, they hold some benifit for protecting but weren't designed with that in mind.

So if you are wearing an ordinary/surgical mask you should not be under the illusion that it will prevent you from picking up the virus.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-27-at-18.55.10.png

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Yes: surgical

Pharmacy on Parnell St have 10 for €12 or 50 for €50.

Any mask worn to prevent a spread surely would have to help in picking up the virus. I would never think that I would be fully protected if I just wore a mask. I would just be wearing one as added protection. Washing of hands would also be required but that goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t have any surgical masks, and I don’t think I should attempt to buy them while they’re still in short supply for frontline staff. I believe a homemade cotton mask is as effective as a chocolate teapot. I don’t speak to anyone, I’m not coughing or sneezing, I keep my mouth closed when I go out. So that’s a no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Saw reusable masks in the eurogiant shop today. They had a ton of them.

I've been making my own, made some from Egyptian cotton pillowcases. I quite like the feel of Egyptian cotton on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams shows Americans how to make a facial covering using an old T-shirt and two rubber bands.

Are you waering a Mask even though mask wearing is not recommended by the HSE?

Yes, who wants this virus entering their bodies if it can be blocked by a mask ? Make no mistake if someone sneezes or coughs close by, you stand a very good chance of inhaling the droplets by not wearing a mask. The Lotto is won regularly but luck runs the opposite way too.

Why wait for the HSE to recommend wearing masks, when they in turn are waiting for the WHO, who are in turn leaving it to the decision makers ??? (see post 1437 above). So in reality we're going round in circles. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What masks do you recommend wearing given that the FFP2 is scarce and each person will need many because a mask can only be used once before being discarded.

Also what is best practice when using a mask.

Why can they only be worn once?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement