Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Do secondary children have to wear masks in school? While I think to there may need to be an element of wearing masks, I think it is unreasonable to wear them for several hours per day... very uncomfortable. Just a thought

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

GT89 wrote: »
    the world's top ten billionaire's net worth all increased during since covid 1984 started
    I know not one who got covid 1984 but that was worthy of universal mask wearing and lockdowns.
    Problem= Covid 1984
    Why are places using covid 1984 as a guise to encourage people to use contactless payments
    use covid 1984 as a convenient excuse as card payments do not require floats, staff to count the days takings, safes to store them in and G4S vans to come and collect.
    Or maybe the numbers who have died of covid 1984 would be similar to the numbers dying of flu if you knkw we stopped counting those who died with covid 1984 and only counted those who died of it.
    Just like covid 1984 so
    better than this new normal bs and get on with our lives and forget about covid 1984.

Drop the covid 1984 soapboxing or take it to the Conspiracy Theories forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users Posts: 28,550 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alentejo wrote: »
    Do secondary children have to wear masks in school? While I think to there may need to be an element of wearing masks, I think it is unreasonable to wear them for several hours per day... very uncomfortable. Just a thought

I think parents and pupils should be pushing back on the school to lessen the uniform restrictions ... e.g. polo shirts rather than school jumper, tie and button down shirt. May help with overall feeling of 'restrictiveness'.
    This would also help with making it easier to wash the clothes daily.

In England this is the latest on masks in schools - so likely we will follow suit:
    The government says secondary pupils in England will now have to wear masks - but only in areas like corridors, and only in regions that have been put under local lockdown... Head teachers in other secondary schools will also have the "flexibility" to introduce masks in their schools if they want to.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/53912865

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No: I don't care enough
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think parents and pupils should be pushing back on the school to lessen the uniform restrictions ... e.g. polo shirts rather than school jumper, tie and button down shirt. May help with overall feeling of 'restrictiveness'.
    This would also help with making it easier to wash the clothes daily.

In England this is the latest on masks in schools - so likely we will follow suit:
    The government says secondary pupils in England will now have to wear masks - but only in areas like corridors, and only in regions that have been put under local lockdown... Head teachers in other secondary schools will also have the "flexibility" to introduce masks in their schools if they want to.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/53912865

During the breif return to school we were told specifically not to wear uniform so that clothes could more easily be washed fresh for each day. It's back to regular uniform from the start next week though.

Think the masks from age 12 is daft, should be set based on academic year rather than age of the pupil as you'll just have some being awkward about their kids not being 12 until a months time.

Also the only in local lockdown areas is a bit of a cop out. Either say no schools or all secondary schools. There isn't any local lockdown additional restrictions on wearing masks in additional places, so why just schools in a lockdown area?

I thought it was the LibDems who were supposed to be sitting on the fence all the time.

Linking a good article from the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine on the use of face coverings by the generic 'lay' public rather than as PPE.

The author Trish Greenhalgh is a Professor of Primary Care Health Sciences.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jep.13415
    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/face-coverings-for-the-lay-public-an-alternative-view/

Some standout sections:
    There is some evidence that the Sars‐CoV‐2 virus relies more heavily than influenza, adenoviruses, or rhinoviruses on droplets, and will thus be more easily filtered out by a cloth cover at source than other respiratory viruses.

Infection control standards designed for health care workers are not directly relevant to the general public. The infected particles on a health care worker's mask are likely to come from patients, and in this situation the health care worker is (hopefully) uninfected and therefore vulnerable. In contrast, if a member of the public is wearing a cloth face covering, they are the most likely source of any infectious particles on it. The more infectious particles that are caught in that covering, the fewer will have been aerosolised to infect others.

• Advertisement

alentejo wrote: »

Actually latest information for Ireland is that they need to wear them in classrooms and corridors:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-masks-irish-schools-5186366-Aug2020/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Actually latest information for Ireland is that they need to wear them in classrooms and corridors:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-masks-irish-schools-5186366-Aug2020/

It's a real shame our once great nation has bought into this nonsense so much it's so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

A scientific advisor to the UK government says the coronavirus lockdown was a “panic measure” and a “monumental mistake on a global scale.”

Infectious diseases expert and University of Edinburgh professor Mark Woolhouse acknowledged that the decision to lockdown in March was a “crude measure” that was enacted because “we couldn’t think of anything better to do.”

“Lockdown was a panic measure and I believe history will say trying to control Covid-19 through lockdown was a monumental mistake on a global scale, the cure was worse than the disease,” said Woolhouse, who is now calling on the government to unlock society before more damage is done.

“I never want to see national lockdown again,” he added.

“It was always a temporary measure that simply delayed the stage of the epidemic we see now. It was never going to change anything fundamentally.”

The professor asserts that the impact of the response to coronavirus will be worse than the virus itself.

“I believe the harm lockdown is doing to our education, health care access, and broader aspects of our economy and society will turn out to be at least as great as the harm done by COVID-19,” said Woolhouse.

Richard Sullivan, professor of cancer at King’s College London, previously warned that there will be more excess cancer deaths over the next 5 years than the number of people who die from coronavirus in the UK due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus lockdown, which is preventing cancer victims from getting treatment.

Figures also show that there were more excess deaths during the 2017-18 flu season (around 50,000) than the total number of people in the UK who have died from coronavirus (41,433).

However, a survey conducted last month found that Brits thought around 7 per cent of the population, 5 million people, had been killed by COVID-19.

I do have feeling that we try too hard to fight something which is not as bad as we thought it will be. First with lockdowns, will masks will be next?

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I do have feeling that we try too hard to fight something which is not as bad as we thought it will be. First with lockdowns, will masks will be next?

I think your first query is being discussed elsewhere on the forum re: is the price of the restrictions worth it.

But specifically on masks, given how low cost, low economic impact they are, I can see them being the longest running of almost all the measures. Along with say 1 metre social distancing. If anything, we will see masks in more places as other restrictions lift.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would people have taken to social distancing and mask wearing to the same extent, or at all, if that was all that was brought in in March? Think the lockdown was a required step to get people to comply with the lesser requirements we are now dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes: surgical
    Back in March we were reading people in China were dropping dead in the streets from Covid.

More bull.

No we weren't. You do this constantly. Just make up random events from the past that never happened to justify some nonsense point. Makes you sound like a nutter. Can you find a single headline from anywhere about people dropping dead in the streets from covid?

robinph wrote: »
    Would people have taken to social distancing and mask wearing to the same extent, or at all, if that was all that was brought in in March? Think the lockdown was a required step to get people to comply with the lesser requirements we are now dealing with.

The measures are all about compliance nothing to do with people's health as this virus isn't very deadly to 99% of people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    The measures are all about compliance nothing to do with people's health as this virus isn't very deadly to 99% of people

Yes, the governments of many nations just want a populace that keeps a couple of metres apart, while wearing face covering, as the economy suffers because of some grand plan to create a complaint people.

Would you cop on?

Compliance with a public health measure during a pandemic which has claimed the lives of over 1000 Irish people.
    This virus isn't very deadly to 99% of people?
    I'll just leave the moral bankruptcy of your comment hanging there for people to form their own opinions.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, the governments of many nations just want a populace that keeps a couple of metres apart, while wearing face covering, as the economy suffers because of some grand plan to create a complaint people.

Would you cop on?

Explain why the wealth of people such as Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos has increased then?

Compliance with a public health measure during a pandemic which has claimed the lives of over 1000 Irish people.
    This virus isn't very deadly to 99% of people?
    I'll just leave the moral bankruptcy of your comment hanging there for people to form their own opinions.

Died with CV19 not of CV19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    Explain why the wealth of people such as Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos has increased then?

You really don't get it, do you?

You obviously enjoy playing this part. Time for the IGNORE option.

It's an interesting question.
    Some sort of lockdown yes, not necessarily of the duration \ number of phases we had.

And certainly I think people would have taken to mask wearing during said lockdown had the policy been rolled out then - and had the masks been available.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You really don't get it, do you?

You obviously enjoy playing this part. Time for the IGNORE option.

I get that it's exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Not 4 posts ago you claimed the virus wasnt deadly to 99.9%.

Now.you claim 99%.

I can see your a man/woman of science..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,355 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ you dont stop digging do you.

What is the reason for most countries around the world, of all political colours, to have simultaneously come up with the same plans to force their populations into lockdown and mask wearing. If it wasn't for the health of their population then what was it for?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Not 4 posts ago you claimed the virus wasnt deadly to 99.9%.

Now.you claim 99%.

I can see your a man/woman of science..

Meant to say 99.9% the second time.

I'm not a man of science but I can smell a rat

You are well aware of the concept of excess mortality as this canard has been rebutted on this forum multiple times already.
    Over 1000 Irish people have died from this virus.
    Similar spikes of excess mortality have been reported all over Europe.
    Anyone claiming otherwise at this stage is just spreading fake news.

To go with the moral bankruptcy of your position, you now go for intellectual bankruptcy.

What is the reason for most countries around the world, of all political colours, to have simultaneously come up with the same plans to force their populations into lockdown and mask wearing. If it wasn't for the health of their population then what was it for?

To get more compliance from their population it's not governments making these decisions they are puppets on strings for international organisations like the UN and NATO. It will benefit big business at the end of the day more compliance will mean more money spent even if it means a but of short term pain.

Look around all the businesses closing down because of lockdown are small independents whilst big companies are surviving fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

I haven't worn a mask during this fear induced media craze and I won't be either. I also won't be taking their vaccine when the government forces it on the population. Sweden haven't bothered with this world agenda and we should be moving back to normality rather than forcing people to do things they wouldn't normally do, based on a virus with a death rate of less than 0.1%.

It's an interesting question.
    Some sort of lockdown yes, not necessarily of the duration \ number of phases we had.

And certainly I think people would have taken to mask wearing during said lockdown had the policy been rolled out then - and had the masks been available.

There was plenty of time during lockdown to have told people to have made their own face coverings. I had commissioned a couple of sets to be made for my clan by a parent / grandparent before lockdown even started. Since got more of better design done in time before the mask rules then came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

No: other
    Meant to say 99.9% the second time.

I'm not a man of science but I can smell a rat

You'll have more success on the conspiracy theories forum, your nonsense is wasted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,355 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I haven't worn a mask during this fear induced media craze and I won't be either. I also won't be taking their vaccine when the government forces it on the population. Sweden haven't bothered with this world agenda and we should be moving back to normality rather than forcing people to do things they wouldn't normally do, based on a virus with a death rate of less than 0.1%.

Username checks out.

• Advertisement

You are well aware of the concept of excess mortality as this canard has been rebutted on this forum multiple times already.
    Over 1000 Irish people have died from this virus.
    Similar spikes of excess mortality have been reported all over Europe.
    Anyone claiming otherwise at this stage is just spreading fake news.

To go with the moral bankruptcy of your position, you now go for intellectual bankruptcy.

Why did the UK knock 5k deaths off their official toll then? Could the excess be because of people being too scared to go into hospital that needed hospital treatment. Drug use and suicides all up during lockdown too. Cancer screenings closed during lockdown putting people at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement