Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭jj880

Takeaways are still open?

No offense to takeaways - i'd prefer to make my own at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It won't be nor should it be. We'll have to do it for some reasonable length of time but we absolutely will go back to handshakes, hugs, kisses, casual sex etc. And rightly so.

Edit: Should add that I hope 21st century style personal hygiene (IE bathing everyday, washing hands, and not coughing/sneezing like a cnut) will become the new norm.

I hope your right. Problem with this virus, it will only take one or two people coming into the country with it to start the whole show off again . Contact tracing might have sharpened up to handle it. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

jj880 wrote: »
    No offense to takeaways - i'd prefer to make my own at the moment.

That is fair enough and qute reasonable in the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Quick table of cases versus population per county.

Population Cases % of Total Pop % of Cases
    Dublin 1,347,359 1233 28% 55.69%
    Cork 542,868 208 11% 9.39%
    Galway 258,058 68 5% 3.07%
    Kildare 222,504 61 5% 2.76%
    Meath 195,044 46 4% 2.08%
    Limerick 194,899 55 4% 2.48%
    Tipperary 159,553 53 3% 2.39%
    Donegal 159,192 24 3% 1.08%
    Wexford 149,722 12 3% 0.54%
    Kerry 147,707 53 3% 2.39%
    Wicklow 142,425 65 3% 2.94%
    Mayo 130,507 26 3% 1.17%
    Louth 128,884 34 3% 1.54%
    Clare 118,817 34 2% 1.54%
    Waterford 116,176 31 2% 1.40%
    Kilkenny 99,232 33 2% 1.49%
    Westmeath 88,770 67 2% 3.03%
    Laois 84,697 14 2% 0.63%
    Offaly 77,961 29 2% 1.31%
    Cavan 76,176 19 2% 0.86%
    Sligo 65,535 12 1% 0.54%
    Roscommon 64,544 10 1% 0.45%
    Monaghan 61,386 11 1% 0.50%
    Carlow 56,932 3 1% 0.14%
    Longford 40,873 10 1% 0.45%
    Leitrim 32,044 3 1% 0.14%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

left of topic.....during isolation, if a man accidentally speaks to his wife, is he still wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Was wondering if I could get some opinions on the so-called herd immunity approach to addressing coronavirus.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me that rather than putting every individual into lockdown as we've now done, why don't we lockdown and quarantine every elderly and/or immuno-compromised individual and allow the non-vulnerable to continue their normal business. Within a relatively short period of time, non-vulnerable people will have contracted the virus, recovered from it (in the vast majority of cases) and be immune.

The main critique of this seems to be that it will overload our hospital/ICU capacity. However the people we are putting at risk of contracting the virus (the young/non-vulnerable) are exactly the people who are least likely to require hospitalisation if they get. The vast majority of these people will get mild flu like symptoms and not even need hospitalisation.

Obviously I'd be in favour of highly strict measures to make sure the quarantine of vulnerable people is adhered to. Whatever it takes.

Seems like this might let us have our cake and eat it. Saving the vulnerable people without destroying the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What's the story with supermarkets, are more shoppers wearing masks now ? Haven't been to a shop in over a week, so dont know what the up to date is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dougm1970 wrote: »
    left of topic.....during isolation, if a man accidentally speaks to his wife, is he still wrong ?
    Always.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Was wondering if I could get some opinions on the so-called herd immunity approach to addressing coronavirus.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me that rather than putting every individual into lockdown as we've now done, why don't we lockdown and quarantine every elderly and/or immuno-compromised individual and allow the non-vulnerable to continue their normal business. Within a relatively short period of time, non-vulnerable people will have contracted the virus, recovered from it (in the vast majority of cases) and be immune.

The main critique of this seems to be that it will overload our hospital/ICU capacity. However the people we are putting at risk of contracting the virus (the young/non-vulnerable) are exactly the people who are least likely to require hospitalisation if they get. The vast majority of these people will get mild flu like symptoms and not even need hospitalisation.

Obviously I'd be in favour of highly strict measures to make sure the quarantine of vulnerable people is adhered to. Whatever it takes.

Seems like this might let us have our cake and eat it. Saving the vulnerable people without destroying the economy.

In an ideal world the vulnerable would have been protected before the virus got here. Doesn't work if the horse has already bolted. The UK tried it but realised it was to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Amirani wrote: »
    Test confirmation is more important for contact tracing than anything else.

Yes I know that is extremely important from that point of view but it seems to be quite limited as to who can be tested now so the figures being low in Ireland wouldn’t give me a huge amount of confidence that we have this under control.

I would have thought we would be testing and identifying people in contact with with confirmed cases so people with no symptoms can be tested and self isolate.... or even just be informed. Now they are walking around food shops etc.

So the only way I feel we can see if Ireland is coping well is with hospital admissions and icu capacity to treat people who need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Be right back

What's the story with supermarkets, are more shoppers wearing masks now ? Haven't been to a shop in over a week, so dont know what the up to date is.

The man in front of me this afternoon had a scarf covering his mouth but had no gloves on. Used cash to pay. Only saw about one person wearing an actual mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,457 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FFS.

People were demanding flights from Northern Italy be grounded in early March until a plan was in place to bring Irish citizens only home in a controlled manner that involved temperature and symptom checks at the very least. These people were ignored by the government. If only the government listened then we'd have avoided a large number of cases and resulting deaths.

The government tried to press on with St Patricks Day Parades and critcised towns who cancelled theres.

People demanded school closures, the government hesitated.

It was obvious nursing homes were a major risk and people were saying that staff were not wearing the nessecay PPE. Ignored. Holohan even wanted to life visitor restrictions. People's criticisms again ignored.

People have been saying for weeks our lockdown has been a farce with no consequences for those who break it. Ignored.

Now people are saying its madness to allow flights in from London and New York without screening or mandatory supervised isolation. Ignored.

People said going ahead with Cheltenham was crazy. The government didn't even bother issuing a travel advisory on that one, not that anyone takes Irish government travel advisories seriously.

And on and on. You clearly haven't been paying attention to the inaction of our government from the start.

Their actions have come very late and too late for those in ICU or worse.

You just go on about the same things all the time and now as it's gone your way you're claiming you're a genius.

No country was stopping flights in February.

Also the flights were bring Irish people back not Italians.

If they stopped Northern Italy flights then people would have made alternative arrangements.

What you were "calling for" in February was far too early too call and either way you could not stop the virus coming in.

So easy to be a doomsayer and then claim wisdom after the event.

The only thing I agree on is Cheltenham.

I think governement and HSE have done a good job and our death rate and numbers in ICU are low compared to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Yep in our place.
    Masks and scarves are on the majority of customers.

Only staff members faces aren't covered.
    Scares the customers apparently!

I've a weeks holidays now, and I'm not leavi g the house. I've my mask ready for when I go back. God help them if they challenge me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Mr.S wrote: »
    Went today to a large Tesco, a lot of people are wearing (the wrong) masks and gloves (while still touching their face). Everything in stock, even hand sanitizer. Did take 35 mins to get into the store, but worth it to shop in peace.

Surgical masks still help incrementally, they are worth wearing instead of nothing. Though there are different defensible opinions about it.

Is it? Its no more of an epicentre than Ireland is right now.

Deaths per million:
    Ireland - 9
    USA - 7

The USA obviously has 66 times the population of Ireland. But relatively speaking the USA is doing better than most European countries.

If you said New York was an epicentre that would be different.

Apologies I meant to say NY as opposed to US

• Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

dougm1970 wrote: »

If it's to ask for food and/or sex its allowed. All other conversation is frowned upon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ask her to call the cops and hopefully they'll bring a few batons with them. That sorta carry on is going to lead to more illness/deaths and more lockdown time. Health and other frontline workers putting everything on the line and others out partying. Unreal and unacceptable.

Yeah a baton charge is the only way to deal with a garden party.

Although will frontline workers be happy to have to treat skull fractures alongside infectious diseases? Never mind, that's thinking too far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

washman3 wrote: »
    Is the testing centre in Croke Park very busy.?
    What about the others.?
    Anyone been or seen.??

I don't think its a matter of being busy its not a drop in centre so i'd imagine they allocate the max number of tests they can do over the whole day,but it could be that there was a bad batch of test kits or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jackboy wrote:
    Where they they get all the extra trained experienced lab analysts from? This is a genuine question, how many did they hire?
    Hospitals didnt hire any extra medical scientists.

Some students that are in 3rd or 4th year have been taken on as lab aides to enter samples on the hospital system and get them ready for transport to the NVRL.

By having the pre analytical work done by lab aides, this frees up scientists to carry out sample preparation and analysis.
    blackcard wrote:
    There are numerous labs who do water quality, air quality, material testing etc. These would have trained technicians working for them. The HSE have a huge amount of companies assisting them in the current crisis.
    Not many of these labs would be accredited to perform testing or have the necessary equipment or qualified staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

It won't be nor should it be. We'll have to do it for some reasonable length of time but we absolutely will go back to handshakes, hugs, kisses, casual sex etc. And rightly so.

Edit: Should add that I hope 21st century style personal hygiene (IE bathing everyday, washing hands, and not coughing/sneezing like a cnut) will become the new norm.

Can't wait, never had that before.

• Advertisement

This is just not the case. Grasping at anything to further your agenda.

Yeah people think it’s so simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭threeball

I hope your right. Problem with this virus, it will only take one or two people coming into the country with it to start the whole show off again . Contact tracing might have sharpened up to handle it. Time will tell

The only option really is the close the country to all but freight and then bed down for 4 weeks no exceptions. After that you could slowly reopen but the borders stay shut. Would people be happy to do that. Then we also have the mess that is northern Ireland

stretchaq wrote: »
    There is also no matches on so that would reduce a & e

People only were referred by doctors following guidelines given to them by the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Sean.3516 wrote: »

I think that this is the plan, but right now we just need to go through this initial lockdown period for everyone.

I don't think it should be mandatory for the elderly to be locked up or quarantined either if the rest of us are allowed out. It should be their choice. Some people might be at the end of their years and might want to take their chances and try to live out the rest of their days as normally as possible so I would be 100% against a mandatory strict quarantine for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭threeball

Another prick the world wouldn't miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Anybody else working tomorrow and still not wearing a mask, still not disinfecting their post or shopping, still not engaging in vigilante fantasies about cracking open joggers or cyclists heads, and generally remaining calm?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Seems to be a shortage all over https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/03/29/exclusive-covid-19-testing-halted-at-letterkenny-over-lack-of-kits/ You would imagine that when they get 30k kits and they know the next shipment is due in 5 days they'd do 6k kits per day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hospitals didnt hire any extra medical scientists.

Some students that are in 3rd or 4th year have been taken on as lab aides to enter samples on the hospital system and get them ready for transport to the NVRL.

By having the pre analytical work done by lab aides, this frees up scientists to carry out sample preparation and analysis.

Even with this help, at least twice as many medical scientists would be required to operate the instruments 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is anyone here acting like their own police watchdog? Watching their neighbours every footsteps etc? Ringing the police on them if they leave the house more than once?

Some people on facebook have admitted doing this in the UK, some even threatening violence. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement