Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options
1129130131132133135»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I have a feeling that a lot of off licences don't want to be stuck with unbarcoded stock they won't be able to shift after May, so they're being very conservative with their ordering, until they clear the old stock off their shelves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Worth noting that a lot of breweries will be in (or just finishing) St.Patricks Day prep at this time of year so will be focusing on getting pallets of their regulars shipped to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Both Whiplash and Wicklow Wolf have free shipping from their webstores.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Very rarely in town these days, so headed to Against the Grain for the first time in a long time tonight. Shutters were down, so we went to the Beer Temple instead. Asked the barman there about Against the Grain, he told us it's closing down this week. Shame, it was always my favourite GBB pub, but I suppose if I haven't been there much lately, maybe a lot of others haven't been either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was only in there last week, and it was busy enough for early on a Wednesday evening I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I gave up on it a few years ago. Staff weren't very good at their jobs, and the place stank like a sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Against the Grain was open over the weekend. So don't think that's right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It seems to be hanging on all right, though apparently there is another company ready to take over the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would be great if they kept things roughly the same but just not run by Galway Bay.

Nah, it's going to be an Asian restaurant, I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Interesting as they only renovated it last year, and not for the better, either imho.

Might be a long shot, but I am assuming there are few to no venues / off licenses worth going to very close to Croke Park? Am up for work soon and staying close by, but am not fussed for the 30+ min walk to head into town-town for the likes of Craft Central, Underdog, Fidelity et al in the evening (public transport is not much quicker)

As an aside, I don't think Underdog actually state on their Instagram their address… so going off Google that it is indeed 199 King St N, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D07 PR5X.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cat and Cage, Juno are the best options probably

Where's Juno? Haven't been to cat and cage in years, didn't know they had a good craft offering now. They do good pizza now too, right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

former Red Parrot on Dorset Street, just a little over the bridge - not sure how good or not the craft offering is, but it'll be more than the two taps in McGraths (O'Haras and Galway Hooker; and one of the staff appears to lipread O'Haras as Carlsberg!)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Martins in Fairview is about 10/15 minute walk from Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Big Romance is a good spot, only 5 mins walk to Croke Park

Thanks - we'll see how work goes and if I'm up to the walks out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Here's a question for those more knowledgable than I...

I noticed Tesco have significantly different prices on gargle depending on whether or not the customer has a Clubcard; would the recent rule change about discounts on achohol not apply here?

No axe to grind one way or the other, just curious.

I remember my local offie having to do away with their loyalty scheme when all this came in and I was devastated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't answer the legal question, but Lidl have been doing the same for months with wine with Lidl Plus. In both stores, they don't count for the points or x of €xx spend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think it's allowed because the discounts are available to anyone with a club card/app and they don't contribute to points schemes. There's no "rewarding" if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

After several pre-match pints maybe it just feels like 5 minutes to me 😅

Oh I know.

As a Limerick fan I have become a bit of an expert on the walk to Croke Park in recent times 🤣

It's a bit like the late-night pricing in pubs vs the happy hour ban: putting the price up for some people is legal, nay encouraged. As long as the Clubcard price is above MUP, it's legal. Discounts are only illegal when you have to buy more alcohol to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So, in most bars, beer is considerably cheaper if you buy a pint rather than a half pint. Could this be illegal?

Nope, because it's a different product, not a cheaper version of the same product. Like how multipacks in the supermarket are cheaper per can than buying individually: it's allowed because it's a different SKU. Breaking the spirit of the law, I guess, but not the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, I had hoped that this thing I've been banging on about for years may finally have some standing in law. The price charged in some places for a half pint is outrageous compared to the price of a pint of the same beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

you’d think that discrepancy along with the high price of NA and soft drinks in bars would have been the first measures implemented by those who are so concerned for the nations health.

Advertisement