Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

More freebies... Budvar 4-pack bought yesterday in Dunnes with no deposit (actually, nothing on their shelves had a deposit!) and the barcode on each can is in the Re-Turn list 👍️

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen Budvar in cans in Ireland before now, how long have those been available?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Picked up a few in O Briens Wines yesterday, To OI and Kinnegar. Was informed that most of the Craft beers were under the new scheme and would be charged, no problem lets try this new scheme out.

Had a look at the cans when I got home, no Re-Turn logo so thought I was duped. Checked the website and the barcodes were registered (although why they don't have a scan to check rather than manual entry is an odd choice). Check their twitter page and on the 1st and 2nd Feb they said the below. 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I can't see an obvious answer to this on any of the press releases; does the display price not now have to include the deposit?

Or are we expected to do the north american thing of having to calculate the full price ourselves before we get to the till?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

American option for me in SuperValu today. Yee haa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

And, from memory, the German way too. Prices are marked €x plus €y pfand.

In Dunnes since early last year I think. My local Molloys had them for a while too, but not recently alas. One of my favourite beers and one which always attracted a strong price premium when in bottle.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Bought 4 althea in Lidl pre scheme for 6.49. They have logos on them. I’ll stick through machine to see what happens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Be prepared to possibly spend quite some time putting them through - GBB barcodes are black on silver or black on grey and hence a bugger to read.

But Althea cans will work, eventually. I found that putting GBB stuff in head-first read easier but different models of machine will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Bizarrely these are black on white!

• Advertisement

You'll be fine then - different run of cans to my disasters clearly.

Hopefully the "actually read properly" ones are the newer ones.

Well the rest of the Polish fridge is still there for now, but the Polish Tyskie has been substituted with weaker and less flavoursome Grolsch-brewed "Tyskie"

Dark days ahead for fans of any low-volume imported beers.

Life ain't always empty.

Surely the Polish Tyskie was in glass and hence not in scope?

Nope, cans imported from Poland

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yes, and it applies to all pricing advertising! Samples from the Return deck on branding:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They don't add it onto the price, though, they just indicate that it needs to be added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭adaminho

Just on the deposit return thing, I passed the back of the local Dealz the other day and there is several orange bins marked return. I wonder is there a separate collection truck for them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah yeah, it's not part of the price of course as you get it back but the pizza ad sample just made me lol. I can't see my local chipper & Chinese updating their flyers with this sort of stuff!

Going to take a machine for a spin today, finally have a bottle to return :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

I tried a few yesterday. It’s free money for me at the moment as I’m run through my stock of Kinnegar cans bought before Christmas with no DRS added on. Overall though I do think the whole thing is going to just turn into a massive pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What? You're getting a return on cans that you never paid the deposit on?

• Advertisement

Kinnegar have registered (most? all?) of their barcodes as international barcodes meaning all existing stock will refund also.

Yeah and a White Hag sour also registered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Same on an Irish IPA I picked up last Friday..

Using this to scan barcodes.. not sure if it's been posted already but handy: https://re-turn.shanehastings.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I wonder is it all craft beers. Just tried TWH Little Fawn that I got prior to Christmas and its in the scheme. Also tried Kinsale Tropical (part of a 96 can deal last week) and that's included.

That just made that Kinsale deal even better (€14.40 free money, cashback).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Another Bran And Sceolan I got a fortnight ago wasn't eligible.. so probably depends on when produced.

Yeah. The Western Herd cans I’ve tried haven’t scanned on the site. I bought them before Christmas too. They don’t seem to have upped their prices either to include the deposit but no complaints anyway as I just dump them in the recycle bin at home afterwards as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyone know what you're supposed to do with cans that don't scan? My local Tesco refused to take them, so I took them home. But if I wasn't heading directly home afterwards, I'd have had to throw them in the general waste bin.

Is there any way of forcing them into the machine? I'd rather not lose an arm in doing so!

Take them home. Most Tesco stores would have a bottle bank with aluminium bins though

There is no way of putting them in to the machine if it doesn't take them, don't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Which is a basic design flaw. The whole point is supposed to be to increase recycling and discourage waste (and not to employ lots of people in yet another quango). So if a can doesn't scan, just have it say "can't be scanned, deposit anyway?" - or end up with with a load of cans that would have been put in recycling at home get dumped in a general waste bin, or a ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Tesco Paul St Cork, and others judging by pics on Twitter, have bins beside the machines inviting customers to recycle rejected cans.

Back to Ireland after a holiday, so haven’t interacted with the new scheme yet. Used the barcode scanner tool someone shared and a couple of the cans I have pre-scheme seem to be scanning ok on the tool.

Advertisement