Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It would be a bigger design flaw to include the functionality you mention only for it to become obsolete in a couple of months when there is no longer any significant amount of non-deposit cans on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All of the machines I've used so far have a chute for rejected items.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of the ones I have have had one. Tesco had a bin. Lidl/Aldi take it away

Lidl and Aldi have very different machines depending on whether it's inside or in a hut and may even have different machines between stores even then, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Email in from Rascal’s. Their core range is getting a makeover and going to 440ml cans. And they’ve done a beer with Kinnegar, nice.

Noticed that Bradley’s have cans in from Northern Monk, Sierra Nevada (Hop Bullet as opposed to just the core stuff), and To Øl. Guessing they’ve figured a way to be complaint with the short run stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Based on Craft Central's website, To Ol, Mikkeller, Northern Monk, Tiny Rebel, Lervig, Left Hand and Ska among others have cans with a deposit payable. So I assume they're all registered.

Well not really, since there'll always be dented cans the machine rejects or cans with missing labels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Happened to need to run to the shop, so brought a can on which I paid a deposit, and one which I did not (a Hazy Jane from Brew Dog). The machine accepted both, and I went away with my €0.30 voucher.

The machine at Aldi Elysian in Cork had a little bin to deposit rejected items also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

My local Aldi has that bin. I think they should take rejected cans anyway. It’s only a software alteration. To be honest I’d feck my can in general waste in the bin outside the shop just to give them the finger. I’ve enough to be carrying with my shopping without used cabs as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Damn right. Does it even crush the cans? It would be even less of an issue if it crushed at the same time.

I heard the machine crushing what it did accept. Really if they were serious about the recycling BS they’d accept all and any cans and only return a deposit on recognised barcodes. It’s damn stupid otherwise.

Then what is to stop a retailer failing to apply the deposit on a can, it being returned and a deposit being paid out?

We’re getting lucky for now on some old cans, but that will only last so much longer.

EDIT. I realise that actually is true now. Never mind. I blame the jet lag I’m experiencing. 😅

Then you'll have it accepting things which aren't even PET bottles / aluminium cans, and contaminating the recycling.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

If only people could be trusted to put the right stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So does it read the new symbol as well as the barcode?

I've got some cans with, and without logo, but the same barcode. And I've got a can with an additional sticker with the logo.

On top of that, the website says some cans sold without the logo are still applicable for the refund, for a short period.

It just reads the barcode. I've had cans without the logo accepted, and even a can with the logo rejected! Admittedly I bought that one in January and didn't pay the deposit.

The FAQs (and all the material) seem to specify the logo is needed, albeit during the transition period there will be logo-less products out there.

The machine seemed to scan just the barcode, since it accepted a logo-less (and deposit-less) Hazy Jane can from me yesterday.

The reverse vending machine specifications document gives some more colour.

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/RVM-Specification.pdf

Para 3.1: Each container will have a DRSI approved logo on it to indicate its inclusion in the scheme.

Para 3.4: Barcode recognition is the main method of container identification. Containers will not be accepted without barcode recognition to validate the container. Therefore, all RVMs must be able to meet a number of criteria in relation to barcodes.

Para 3.9: The minimum recognition combinations for a container to be accepted by an RVM is: Barcode Recognition + Basic Shape Recognition + Weight Detection + Metal Detection.

Para 3.11: Logo recognition is not a prerequisite for the launch of the scheme. DRSI is looking to reduce the scheme’s exposure to fraud and may require Logo Recognition in the future.

So, the machines don't scan for the logo at all, only the barcode.

Packed up my stinky cans, went to my local Supervalu. Shutters down, so I asked about the machine, and was told it should be up and running in a couple of weeks.

Bit of a joke. They've had plenty of time to get ready for it.

• Advertisement

Used that scanner tool on a few more pre-deposit cans. A Ska brewing can & Kinnegar's Brewers at Play low alcohol IPA both were accepted, which surprised me. I had thought the former, a US brewery, wouldn't bother and the latter, a one off, wouldn't be registered. We'll see does the actual machine take them.

Went to Tesco in Drumcondra, and all but one of my cans was accepted. I also had a couple of cans from december that were accepted. GBB Morning Afterglow was the one refused. Seems it's been out for about 8 weeks, but I only spotted it yesterday, and bought it. Unfortunately, the recycle bins at the back of the store don't have one for cans, just bottles.

As an aside, I noticed this thread will turn 4 years old at the end of next month... what a wild ride. From the depths of Covid and supporting small breweries / independent off licences, minimum unit pricing, proposed labelling changes, deposit return scheme and everything in between... quite the 4 years for beer in Ireland!

Quite the four years and not in a good way. Wonder how long it'll be before we get ration cards 😝

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Ska beer would have been registered with the scheme by its importer, Grand Cru.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sorry if it's off topic for a recycling thread 🤣 but Treaty City Brewery have signed on as a sponsor for Treaty United FC (makes sense) and are doing pre match promos.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd say about half the LOI teams have a craft beer link of some kind at this stage. Sligo to White Hag, Finn Harps to Kinnegar, St Pats to Rascals, Bohs to Porterhouse etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Being a youngish lad when Micky Martin brought in the pub smoking ban (which I agree with) I thought at the time that once they’d finished cracking down on cigarettes they’d turn to alcohol and, lo and behold, they have. We’re getting super frightening labels next aren’t we?

I somehow think the 6% and over sector will be next to be discriminated. I hope I’m wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hadn't been into my local supervalu in a while but it's always had a very good selection of craft beers(mostly Fourcorners distributed beers) including all the latest specials. The fridge was looking pretty boring and not one special in sight, just all core range stuff including 4 packs to fill out the space. Disappointing, hopefully just a temporary thing but only time will tell

Advertisement