Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    yeah and i doubt paddy gave 2 ****s and complain about being oppressed in london either, got on with life and worked hard the vast majority.

No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Wombatman wrote: »

and what is the correlation there, i dont see any signs in ireland saying no foreigners, my point is people are offended nowadays at perceived slights where as im sure most irish didn't give care if they were called paddy or mick etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wombatman wrote: »

Was it not ,no Black's ,no dogs and no Irish at the bottom , signs have popped up in auctions for years .

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

What??? Im not even dignifying this with an answer

Because you have no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    and what is the correlation there, i dont see any signs in ireland saying no foreigners, my point is people are offended nowadays at perceived slights where as im sure most irish didn't give care if they were called paddy or mick etc.

I never got the correlation either. What should the reaction be to this age old slur is it really the “more blacks/more dogs/more Irish” we had one man get creative with spawning his own line of merchandise?

Maybe a unification forging some sort of black irish three-headed dog. Which I don’t really think is feasible and so I believe the best solution to this derogatory grouping would be be to distance ourselves from it as far as possible. As we did with those who coined it - in the hope that it does not resurface again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Using "they" is so generalising it's hard to even know where to begin. Have you any idea of life in Syria? What life in a war torn country must be like? To get up and leave everything you've known and be split from your family not knowing whether you'll ever see them again? To arrive in a country and be put somewhere so inhumane as a direct provision centre? Have you ever been to a direct provision centre? Have you ever spoken to a Syrian immigrant?

I would guess not and you just sit on your high horse of white privilege saying how "they" only come here to cheat the white man's system. And then you have the audacity to try and say you are not racist when your comment is so full of over generalising stereotyping

If you read my posts i don't mention direct provision centres at all,I'm specifically talking about those who come here and are given a far better life than from where they have come from,and complain about it and call us racists. No mention of direct provision, because I've no knowledge of them,so can't comment.

all Syrian refugees that come here go to DP centres

Not necessarily true actually ,they come in under a UN arrangement and most likely would go straight into housing after a short period

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Racism in young girls
    https://t.co/5hQ9WEEWg8?ssr=true
    Disgraceful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I don't identify with racism, I've had black and south American friends since I was a kid.
    So I've no sense of guilt for being a white person or that shame for being a coccasian.
    I think the whole thing undermines humanity.

Bowing down to other race's, sounds like an in built guilty conscientious and sheep mentality.

We're all the same here... only different personalities abilities and character defects and shortcomings.

What exactly has Direct Provision got to do with the killing of a man in the US? Because according to the media and activists here the two are directly connected.

• Advertisement

Yeah I actually agree. Everyone is in a way racist, me included. I dont exclude myself from racism or white privilege. I'll never understand how it feels to be a POC or an immigrant. That is a ****ing privilege that part of me is glad to have!

Well, I've spent half of my adult life abroad as an expat. I know what it's like to live in countries where my race is a distinct minority, and I also know what it's like to be on the receiving end of constant minor irritations from the native people.

I've lived a total of 13 years in Asia so far, and Asians tend to be rather discriminatory due to their very homogeneous populations. You can either accept it, or move on... it's just the way things are. Outright racism happens occasionally, but it's still a relatively rare thing as most people are polite enough not to express it... and typically, Irish people or Europeans would be even more polite than Asians in their own countries.
    But you cant not allow others voice how they feel and how what is thought of them generally impacts them. This is how change happens! That is how we grow and evolve as humans. That is how we develop greater levels of empathy

Thats all I'm sayin! :-)

Im not here to say you are wrong or im wrong, just a general discussion! And yep, I hold my hand up, I made a generalisation earlier with my high horse of white privilege comment

I'd agree in part. Positive change happens through exposure, and the growing awareness of other cultures/racial groups. However, it has to be a natural progression, otherwise friction will occur as people are made to feel rushed into acceptance. There's a two way street to it all. That acceptance needs to come from both parties. The native grouping and the foreign entities.. Which we're not seeing happening.

The BLM crowd or those pushing for further rights for migrants aren't seeking to accept Irish culture, or to provide any real degree of understanding for how Ireland has changed. I'm in my early 40s, and I can remember when there were virtually no Black people in the countryside. Now, my hometown has a rather large population of them. Which is fine, in itself, but there is little expectation for them to accept Irish culture and integrate. Instead, everything is about their rights and needs... regardless of how they entered the nation. There is little patience involved considering how much Ireland has changed in such a short time.

I generally don't really care about their past. They're here now, and it's highly unlikely that any of them will be pushed out. At the same time though, if Ireland is to escape the racial friction happening in other "multicultural" nations, then we have to do things differently. Which means expecting migrants not to expect the red carpet treatment just because they're a minority. Which is something that crops up quite often these days.

You see... I'm not terribly racist as such, and I'm only racist because the term has been expanded to cover so much more than it should. A little bit of realism and practical thinking wouldn't go amiss when deciding if something is racist. Alas, it seems that every reaction that doesn't involve instant and complete acceptance/support for other racial groups, is racist.

What exactly has Direct Provision got to do with the killing of a man in the US? Because according to the media and activists here the two are directly connected.

Absolutely nothing .

We've have close to 70,000 through direct provision ,yet in over 11 + years we've only deported 1300 ,but yet serious criminals charged with sex offences to drugs and murder get to stay .

Some people have it so hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There's a bit on the news about racism in general in Ireland.

Basically it said that often black people are more qualified than other people and often they get turned down for jobs and they experience high unemployment.

So say if two people go for an interview, 1 Black person and 1 white person and the job position then goes to one of them and that happens to be the white person. How does that person know they are more qualified than the person who received the job?

There was a lady on the news saying she's often more qualified than the rest of the people and she found it hard to get work and she said she had to reskill.

Our economy crashed back in 2008 and many people lost jobs and there was high unemployment. Many people found it hard to get work for a long time. Many people had to reskill. It wasn't just her. That's not racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They have to try to come with up something to make white paddy look bad seeing as we have no history of slavery or trigger happy cops in this country.

Gas thing is the parents of these African young people turning up in our country of their own free will, they weren't forced to come here yet all they do is complain about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yeah I actually agree. Everyone is in a way racist, me included. I dont exclude myself from racism or white privilege.

This is just a modern version of 'we are all sinners, myself included" pulpit bashing. The pulpit basher is clearly not as sinful as the flock in his own mind, that's why he has the pulpit.

It's a remarkable tribute to US imperialism that it can not only destroy Syria, but can also export its ideology of "white privilege" so that the cost of clearing up their mess is to be borne by the "white privileged" in an historically beleaguered island of the west coast of Europe.

I have sympathy for the Syrians but the responsibility for their plight lies with the US; white americans, black americans and POC americans. If they want to feel guilt over there it would great if that guilt stopped them from invading the world.

Was watching The Tonight Show last night when Matt Cooper was talking to someone called Ebun Joseph, you'd swear she was living in Mississippi in the 1950s the way she was tearing down everything about Ireland and the native Irish.

Is this the shape of things to come as the African population increases here in the years to come?

Watching Sky News and the black protest in London yesterday I think it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Was watching The Tonight Show last night when Matt Cooper was talking to someone called Ebun Joseph, you'd swear she was living in Mississippi in the 1950s the way she was tearing down everything about Ireland and the native Irish.

It is quite simple for these type of individuals who are adding nothing to Irish society, if they don't like it here then they know where to go. Nobody asked them to come here in the first place and in any case, Ireland has given them more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its a concerted effort to put an agenda back in the news , a few months ago it was the climate, then it was covid needs to pay more to the poors, then it was employers should be forced to bring people back at 15 an hour, then it was this.

Its the same group changing their story because they know if theyre honest its not something middle ireland will vote for.

Its the same thing the entire time, open borders, more unemployed supports, kick out the bottom rungs of the ladder (minimum wage) , make the big multinationals leave , this is PbP/Saoirse Mchugh/some of SD and SF policy, make as many people unemployed or unemployable as possible and theres a voting block for them.

Was watching The Tonight Show last night when Matt Cooper was talking to someone called Ebun Joseph, you'd swear she was living in Mississippi in the 1950s

This is little miss ribena who claimed a hotel in Galway served her ribena instead of wine there for was a racist establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    This is little miss ribena who claimed a hotel in Galway served her ribena instead of wine there for was a racist establishment

Ah is that who she is!

Yeah I remember the ribena story but didn't realise it was her, she probably cost someone their job with that nonscense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Casual racism
    Joe Biden has apologised after telling an African American radio host that he "ain't black" if he supports Donald Trump.
    First for denying a POC his race.
    Secondly to mean that a person must have certain allegiances because of their colour.

Ah is that who she is!

Yeah I remember the ribena story but didn't realise it was her, she probably cost someone their job with that nonscense.

That's her
    Social Justice Activist, motivational speaker, Intercultural Consultant, researching race relations, racial stratification & the labour market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It is quite simple for these type of individuals who are adding nothing to Irish society, if they don't like it here then they know where to go. Nobody asked them to come here in the first place and in any case, Ireland has given them more than enough.

That should be the response that our Govts and media should give them.

Is this the shape of things to come as the African population increases here in the years to come?

Watching Sky News and the black protest in London yesterday I think it will be.

Pretty much... being a victim brings big rewards... they're not going to give those up easily.

FVP3 wrote: »
    This is just a modern version of 'we are all sinners, myself included" pulpit bashing. The pulpit basher is clearly not as sinful as the flock in his own mind, that's why he has the pulpit.

It's a remarkable tribute to US imperialism that it can not only destroy Syria, but can also export its ideology of "white privilege" so that the cost of clearing up their mess is to be borne by the "white privileged" in an historically beleaguered island of the west coast of Europe.

I have sympathy for the Syrians but the responsibility for their plight lies with the US; white americans, black americans and POC americans. If they want to feel guilt over there it would great if that guilt stopped them from invading the world.

White Privilege is the reworked concept of Original Sin for white people, merely being born white makes you guilty and a sinner. Something you cannot wash off.

Progressives are basically Religious puritans, fanatics who have simply traded (insert) religion for the religion of progressivism. Everything about progressivism reeks of religious fanaticism. It in fact proves that for many the religious instinct is inherent and if one religion dies off then it will be followed with another and the zeal in which it is pursued will mirror exactly that of their ancestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

They're not linked but it's much easier to sell we have to dismantle DP for something better(an alternative is never proposed) when layered with other cries of racism in a climate where we have record homelessness and record high property prices.

It's like when politicians try and push through internet legislation with vague stuff about children's internet rights mixed in. You don't wanna protect the kids? Then pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve noticed this too

The original protest was about George Floyd’s horrendous death at the hands of a police officer

This then evolved into random accusations and complaints about Ireland - for example direct provision. It evolved into this shamelessly and without ppl even taking a sidewards step.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

And also direct provision is NOT racist. It does not discriminate on racial grounds.

It is a system of accommodation for ppl showing up here in this country applying for asylum. That’s it.

Not to mention that our two biggest asylum claims come from Georgia and Albania! How this stuff gets past the lips of a couple of people at most is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm that direct provision is paid for by the tax payer?

To the tune of hundreds of millions for accommodation and food ,
    And another 30+ million a year to pay for their legal teams they hire to keep them here indefinitely with appeal after appeal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement