Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I can say with a high degree of personal experience and quite a lot of observed experience that emigrants typically travel in search of opportunity, not welfare.

But there is a substantial number who have travelled to here and elsewhere in Europe due for lifelong social welfare and long term housing .

There is migrants all over the world , traveling to work and are able to relocate due to having a decent 3rd level education and skills ,
    But then there is the bogus asylum seekers who know once they arrive with a sob story there set for life and if anybody challenges the narrative is spun to begrudgery or jealousy and racism .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm pretty sure Martin Luther King is touched on in secondary school history. Might be at LC cycle but im pretty sure there was a topic on it.

Anyway, itd be kinda racist to just pick out black history. You'd have to pick out Asian, Islam etc history too which as far as I remember had zero topics on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

9zlid8vp6p251.jpg

Excellent idea, hopefully they will include the part about how Nigerian tribal chiefs were involved in the slave trade and became very rich selling them to Arabs for hundreds of years and later on in the 17th and 18th centuries to Europeans.

What about Eastern European studies in primary schools ,

Excellent idea, hopefully they will include the part about how Nigerian tribal chiefs

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the pictures bar Nelson Mandela (south Africa) the rest of the images are of black Americans .

So do they want black history or American history ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Excellent idea, hopefully they will include the part about how Nigerian tribal chiefs were involved in the slave trade and became very rich selling them to Arabs for hundreds of years and later on in the 17th and 18th centuries to Europeans.

And the likes of Sani Abacha, Charles Taylor, Idi Amin, Haile Selassie, Robert Mugabe, Omar Al-Bashir, Idriss Deby, Mobutu Sese Seko etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Why would anyone even bother to entertain these lads. As the saying goes ..'Give an inch and they would take a mile'....

They shouldn't. Apparently there a BLM matter here in Kilkenny the other day and ofcourse one of the speakers had to claim that she was told to go back to Africa since coming here in 2010. Much like the on RTE today who claims his young son was told to F Off back to where you came from.

They don't want it that deep. Just the bits to reinforce the "Blacks are oppressed" narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gatling wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but in the pictures bar Nelson Mandela (south Africa) the rest of the images are of black Americans .

No Steve Biko. No Albert John Luthuli. No Desmond Tutu. Or any other Black African Nobel Prize winners either.

Gatling wrote: »

You can bet they won't get into any Mandela's atrocities. Just this angelic figure we're supposed to believe he came after prison.

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy wants the US Ambassador to Ireland removed from the country, he thinks it "would send a message" to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Paul Murphy wants the US Ambassador to Ireland removed from the country, he thinks it "would send a message" to Trump.

I would say 'would he not think of the damage that would cause to FDI and our cache of multinational job providers here' but then I remember its Paul Murphy, he does know what damage it would do, he wants that damage to occur.

I would say 'would he not think of the damage that would cause to FDI and our cache of multinational job providers here' but then I remember its Paul Murphy, he does know what damage it would do, he wants that damage to occur.

He's been at a loose end since the water protests ended so he needs to latch on to something to try and stay in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

I can say with a high degree of personal experience and quite a lot of observed experience that emigrants typically travel in search of opportunity, not welfare.

Yes, that is why we should prohibit all immigrants from outside the Eu from accessing any type of Welfare services, social housing etc for at least ten years after their arrival.

Then we can make sure its the ones seeking opportunity that come here.
    Would you agree?

Yes, that is why we should prohibit all immigrants from outside the Eu from accessing any type of Welfare services, social housing etc for at least ten years after their arrival.

Then we can make sure its the ones seeking opportunity that come here.
    Would you agree?

Just make it linked to the PRSI contributions, like it is, for the majority. Cutting them off entirely from welfare is unfair, if they've been paying the same taxes as others.... but the benefits of citizenship should be earned through contributions to the nation. i.e working & paying taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Screen-Shot-2020-06-03-at-20-19-57.png

Saw another one the other day from a prominent black activist in Belfast saying "the history of Northern Ireland is one of prejudice against blacks"

Clearly she knows nothing about the history of NI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

No Steve Biko. No Albert John Luthuli. No Desmond Tutu. Or any other Black African Nobel Prize winners either.

No Frederick Douglass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

I have seen lots of "reputable" organisations and people linking to MASI over the last couple of days. Here, from the "About Us" page of MASI's website:

https://www.masi.ie/about-us/

"For us, MASI is a way to take back our power and demand freedom, justice and dignity for all asylum seekers."

"MASI demands the end of direct provision, the right to work and education, and opposes deportation"

"MASI demands an end to direct provision, the right to work and education, residency for all in the system, and an end to the brutal deportation regime"

"Back in October 2014 MASI petitioned politicians, Department of Justice, and each and every member of the Working Group individually demanding that asylum seeker representatives from all 34 centres, chosen by us, needed to be at the Working Group table."

It's a lot of demands, isn't it, from a group which represents those who are not here legally? They are demanding, essentially, that we have open borders, and that anyone who arrives here has the right to education and work, permanent residency and for no-one to be deported. For all the virtue signallers saying they'll be donating to MASI this week, do they really, really want open borders? I am genuinely curious how many people want that outside the small group of extremists and those affiliated to NGOs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Saw another one the other day from a prominent black activist in Belfast saying "the history of Northern Ireland is one of prejudice against blacks"

That's what happens when you take history out of schools and import fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

She misuses the word compare (anything can be compared, a comparison is not equating), and incorrectly says compare to instead of compare with. It is also strange to be so dismissive given that the Ulster plantations were the blueprint for English colonialism. Of course, Irish people were not treated like black people in the Deep South, but it is a very worthy comparison with any example of English colonialism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

It gives good insight into their mindset though.

Being oppressed is *theirs*. Try to empathise with them as someone whose country has a history of oppression and you receive an angry response. You get told it wasn't as bad so it's stupid to bring up.

Being oppressed is now a career and it pays well. Not only in terms of money, but also social power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

international solidarity between oppressed peoples used to be a major source of strength and support, but no-one can take away black people's title of most oppressed people ever (as the Holocaust passes away from living memory and being anti-Israeli becomes more mainstream)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

She misuses the word compare (anything can be compared, a comparison is not equating), and incorrectly says compare to instead of compare with. It is also strange to be so dismissive given that the Ulster plantations were the blueprint for English colonialism. Of course, Irish people were not treated like black people in the Deep South, but it is a very worthy comparison with any example of English colonialism.

Probably only because the Irish were willing to do, for small wages, the dangerous work that a slave-owner would not want his valuable commodity to lose his life doing.

An odd superiority in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They shouldn't. Apparently there a BLM matter here in Kilkenny the other day and ofcourse one of the speakers had to claim that she was told to go back to Africa since coming here in 2010. Much like the on RTE today who claims his young son was told to F Off back to where you came from.

I was told to fcuk off back down the country by an old dear in the early 90s. Apparently us culchies were taking all the jobs.
    I don't see this as a racist act, it's just someone being a dick..

Nesta2018 wrote: »
    I have seen lots of "reputable" organisations and people linking to MASI over the last couple of days. Here, from the "About Us" page of MASI's website:

"For us, MASI is a way to take back our power and demand freedom, justice and dignity for all asylum seekers."

"MASI demands the end of direct provision, the right to work and education, and opposes deportation"

"MASI demands an end to direct provision, the right to work and education, residency for all in the system, and an end to the brutal deportation regime"

"Back in October 2014 MASI petitioned politicians, Department of Justice, and each and every member of the Working Group individually demanding that asylum seeker representatives from all 34 centres, chosen by us, needed to be at the Working Group table."

It's a lot of demands, isn't it, from a group which represents those who are not here legally? They are demanding, essentially, that we have open borders, and that anyone who arrives here has the right to education and work, permanent residency and for no-one to be deported. For all the virtue signallers saying they'll be donating to MASI this week, do they really, really want open borders? I am genuinely curious how many people want that outside the small group of extremists and those affiliated to NGOs.

And when they get all their demands? they would still be a minority population (among others), which would mean they would demand further benefits to compensate for the discrimination they face (whether real/imaginary, conscious/subconscious). If given their demands, it's basic human nature to keep pushing... and other groups have shown it's the best way to bully for improvements.

The funny thing is that it's their attitude that sours the mindset of Irish people towards them. This entitlement culture. And so it goes with the racism claims too. They, themselves, by their actions are encouraging others to become racist towards their racial group... Not in every instance of racism, but it's definitely going to be changing the minds of many.

This should have ended in Oct 2014 with every last one of them being deported. Who the **** do they think they are coming into the Country making no effort to contribute or assimilate and then make demands. They should have the door to the airport that very day. I guarantee we wouldn't be able to go their Countries and start making demands.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was told to fcuk off back down the country by an old dear in the early 90s. Apparently us culchies were taking all the jobs.
    I don't see this as a racist act, it's just someone being a dick..

Assholes are always going to be around. Racists will always exist too. Where there argument falls apart is when they systemic racism [as in our laws are are completely against them] and when you ask them which laws we [whites] benefit from but others don't they can't/won't answer that. Its always feelings with them. Never facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    systemic racism [as in our laws are are completely against them] and when you ask them which laws we [whites] benefit from but others don't they can't/won't answer that. Its always feelings with them. Never facts.

Systemic racism doesn't mean "our laws are completely against them". Where do you get your information on these topics from, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Im 45 now,Irish all generations of family Irish,white,like most people here I'd imagine.

And I'm sick of being almost forced to feel guilty about things that happened to black people decades/centuries ago,when us Irish committed none of those crimes,and if I don't feel the guilt I'm somehow a racist for saying it,or voicing a opinion on it. Like the kid in salthill video, screaming blue murder ,with venom in his anger ,about police brutality..no,white man police brutality, a kid of Nigerian decent..is there white police brutality in Nigeria ? Who's family 'fled' that country and claimed asylum here,even though technically they should not have gotten to Ireland to do so.. directly..

Are his family's lives worse now? Is his opportunities limited now he's here? What about his health care,his education? This goes for all black people coming to Ireland,and I say blacks because they seem to be the ones having come here of their own free will,with all the problems of 'oppression' in Ireland,those and the travellers..

How does that kid grow up hating white Irish society? How does any refugee/asylum seeker demand anything from a country who will house them,feed theme,and educate them for free, provided there are legitimate in their claim? And those of parents who settled here illegally ,how have they a issue with the Irish people? Are their lives worse now ?

I think a lot of people are sick of the complaints of those who come here for help,are given a far better life,their kids can grow up normally with every opportunity like everyone else,but yet it's not enough,they need more because of what some other white people did to some other black people in some other countries around the world.

To me,it seems black children are brought up to always hate the white people no matter what,in places like America I guess that's understandable to a extent, but black children born here,or raised here have no reason to feel unequal to anyone.. it's all social media and their peers telling them they must feel the anger of their ancestors past .. and that whites are the cause of it.

And we,who are helping these people have a better life get told we are racist,told we are racist if we don't march with them,don't fight for them,don't speak up for them,give them jobs because they are black, l mean,it's not like we have any of our own problems or struggles in life regardless of what colour we are,but we are racist if we don't drop everything to support them.. just the whites though..the Asians don't need to do it,nor Hispanics/Latino countries,hell..not even white Russia..just European/American whites ..

I'm Irish,white,not racist in the slightest,and Im fed listening to how bad I should feel about that because I'm not out virtue signalling for people who think we/i oppressed them. I've seen more racism by black people in this country than by white people, but I don't march about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree,
    Oh i'm so sorry our free access to our country, free shelter and free money and food and services are not good enough for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement