Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Edgware wrote: »
    I would say that the children of African immigrants do far better than a lot of the children of Irish scrotes. The parents realise the opportunities Ireland offers and make sure their kids work hard at school.

Some do, but there's a growing problem in parts of north Dublin/Meath/Louth with large numbers of teenagers and young adults of African origin emulating UK / American gang culture. Check out Youtube for the depressing evidence; "drill gangs" named after postcodes and threatening each other. You don't get groups of Polish-Irish or Chinese-Irish kids doing anything like that. Anecdotally too many of the kids are following their parents' example of welfare dependency and lack of interest in gainful employment, it's hardly surprising as these patterns of behaviour repeat over generations regardless of someone's origins. There will be real trouble down the line, as if we didn't have enough of our own problems to deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Nesta2018 wrote: »
    Some do, but there's a growing problem in parts of north Dublin/Meath/Louth with large numbers of teenagers and young adults of African origin emulating UK / American gang culture. Check out Youtube for the depressing evidence; "drill gangs" named after postcodes and threatening each other. You don't get groups of Polish-Irish or Chinese-Irish kids doing anything like that. Anecdotally too many of the kids are following their parents' example of welfare dependency and lack of interest in gainful employment, it's hardly surprising as these patterns of behaviour repeat over generations regardless of someone's origins. There will be real trouble down the line, as if we didn't have enough of our own problems to deal with.

I actually think that intolerance will increase in the average Irish person (and rightfully so) with a growing number of African ghettos in Ireland.

If you look at anywhere where people in the world have an intolerance to a certain race/ethnic group, they are usually responsible for social problems. Not all of them of course, but a sizeable number. Southern Europe (Greece, Italy) is arguably more racist than Ireland/UK and they have a bigger problem with African/Muslim migrants.

What I'm trying to say is that everyday "racism" actually comes from rational attitudes. People who don't have badly behaved neighbors generally don't develop negative attitudes to them. Why would they? Waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Now, hold on a second here.

We disagree. That's actually allowed. It might not be allowed in your reality, but thankfully, we haven't been forced into compliance with your ultra PC reality yet.

Insulting my intelligence because I don't agree with you is pretty lame, and indicative of your intolerance for others opinions. So, yes, maybe you should stop posting on boards if you're unwilling to hear differing opinions. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day i shouldn't have insulted you,and i apologise,i'm sure you are an intelligent being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Well, I'm just landing fresh into this discussion, so you can't accuse me of being part of any clique.

Personally, in general I don't find black women attractive either. Of course there are some exceptions. Halle Berry and Naomi Campbell are two I wouldn't have minded meeting when I was single. :D

On the other hand, I've always had a thing for Oriental women. In general, I find them very attractive. But again, of course there are exceptions.

You'd probably call me racist. Others would just call me human.

Your post is very interesting for the reason and emulates a sociology theory. The theory states that Asian women are most desired, white women second and Black women the least on dating sites because of their closeness to femininity.

Asians on average are more feminine than any other races. That's why the women do so well but the men do poorly on dating site. On the other hand, black women are said to be more masculine than any other race and do poorly while black men do well.

Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Now now. It's probably racist for you or anybody else to generalise like that. According to some people here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Now now. It's probably racist for you or anybody else to generalise like that. According to some people here anyway.

Sure if a black woman is served blackcurrent juice instead of wine its also racist.

Well, I'm just landing fresh into this discussion, so you can't accuse me of being part of any clique.

Personally, in general I don't find black women attractive either. Of course there are some exceptions. Halle Berry and Naomi Campbell are two I wouldn't have minded meeting when I was single. :D

On the other hand, I've always had a thing for Oriental women. In general, I find them very attractive. But again, of course there are exceptions.

You'd probably call me racist. Others would just call me human.

Personally i find it amazing how posts like these get through the pc brigade on boards.We can't challenge the government the banks,the trans agenda,the absolute assault on the country with immigration when we can't even afford to house our own,but its fine to label all Black women unattractive except Halle Berry and Naomi Campbell,you don't even realise you are contradicting yourself in your own statement.

What if there was a group of Black women in here posting how they aren't attracted to White men,or if some public figure with sway was to announce he is not attracted to Black women,it only stokes racism its an untruth said to cause offence because you have already said you find some of them attractive in the same statement.

Somebody Black has hurt you guys sensitivities and this is your only recourse to gain back some dignity by saying you dislike them all.

Keep that stuff in your head,it does no use to anybody spouting that around,only causes offence and its not even true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

I actually think that intolerance will increase in the average Irish person (and rightfully so) with a growing number of African ghettos in Ireland.

If you look at anywhere where people in the world have an intolerance to a certain race/ethnic group, they are usually responsible for social problems. Not all of them of course, but a sizeable number. Southern Europe (Greece, Italy) is arguably more racist than Ireland/UK and they have a bigger problem with African/Muslim migrants.

What I'm trying to say is that everyday "racism" actually comes from rational attitudes. People who don't have badly behaved neighbors generally don't develop negative attitudes to them. Why would they? Waste of time.

Agree. A lot of Irish people were naive and welcoming towards African immigrants 20 years ago but have changed their minds because of their behaviour as a group. You can't explain it away as simple racism because there aren't the same issues with Indian and Chinese immigrants and their children. This pattern is repeated all over Europe where there are large number of migrants; people from certain backgrounds integrate well and others don't. We're just 40 years behind the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

whoa there hoppy, the poster said he does not find black women attractive. that's not racist it's just personal perefence.

For my part, am equal opportunies. i hate everyone no matter thier colour, religon, gender or politics.

:)

btw offence can only be taken, not given. if your offended, so what? why should anyone care?

its fine to label all Black women unattractive except Halle Berry and Naomi Campbell,you don't even realise you are contradicting yourself in your own statement.

Did you miss the bit where I said "in general" before naming those two as exceptions?
    What if there was a group of Black women in here posting how they aren't attracted to White men

Genuinely wouldn't bother me.
    Somebody Black has hurt you guys sensitivities and this is your only recourse to gain back some dignity by saying you dislike them all.

????? This is bizarre if it's directed at me. I never made any mention of any black person ever offending me and I never said that I dislike every black person. I merely said that in general, I don't find black women particularly sexually attractive. That's a very different thing.

By way of comparison, I know and like several women over the age of 70. But I don't find them sexually attractive either. So am I now being ageist and well as racist????

• Advertisement

soups05 wrote: »
    whoa there hoppy, the poster said he does not find black women attractive. that's not racist it's just personal perefence.

For my part, am equal opportunies. i hate everyone no matter thier colour, religon, gender or politics.

:)

btw offence can only be taken, not given. if your offended, so what? why should anyone care?

There is plenty of Irish born and bred Black women as Irish as you and me.

Reality is i didn't vote for mass immigration but they are here now to stay and you guys are adding nothing positive to society,some young Black Irish woman could be reading this thread now with a hoard of Irish men posting on boards about how they aren't attracted to Black women and liking each others posts.

Then we complain about race relations,this kinda of talk is in part why young Black kids have to look to America for role models with idiots like Jay z and Beyonce as their only role models since its seemingly allowed in their adopted country to declare them all unattractive,without having met or seen them all.If even you said i never met a Black woman i was attracted to that would be slightly more palatable,but still most likely untrue.

We aren't to blame for the race problems brewing here but you surely aren't helping things with this kind of rubbish and i wouldn't mind but its not even remotely true,we are all humans and we are attracted to all races and so post away all you want about not being attracted to Black women but in reality i am old enough now to know that it simply isn't true for a single one of you,you guys are just feeling powerless with the influx of foreigners and you are trying to take power back by saying i wouldn't ever date them because you know probably they wouldn't date you so you are getting in there first,nothing more nothing less.

Your post is very interesting for the reason and emulates a sociology theory. The theory states that Asian women are most desired, white women second and Black women the least on dating sites because of their closeness to femininity.

Asians on average are more feminine than any other races. That's why the women do so well but the men do poorly on dating site. On the other hand, black women are said to be more masculine than any other race and do poorly while black men do well.

Make of it what you will.

Can i get a link to this research? You keep coming out with this kind of stuff, and I'd love to see the actual statistics you're referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

i wouldn't mind but its not even remotely true,we are all humans and we are attracted to all races and so post away all you want about not being attracted to Black women but in reality i am old enough now to know that it simply isn't true for a single one of you,you guys are just feeling powerless with the influx of foreigners and you are trying to take power back by saying i wouldn't ever date them because you know probably they wouldn't date you so you are getting in there first,nothing more nothing less.

A lot of posters here have said how they prefer Asian women then Irish women. Where does this fit into your narrative?

Also the melting pot that is America you see only 1/7 married couples are inter-racial or interethnic. If what you propose was true it would be far higher than 50%.

Also "assuming everyone you're talking to is a guy feeling powerless with the influx of foreigners who are trying to take power back" just reveals the ideology that you subscribe to. The one that promotes power at every opportunity. Feminists are the only ones obsessed with power, no one else cares.

Personally i find it amazing how posts like these get through the pc brigade on boards.We can't challenge the government the banks,the trans agenda,the absolute assault on the country with immigration when we can't even afford to house our own,but its fine to label all Black women unattractive except Halle Berry and Naomi Campbell,you don't even realise you are contradicting yourself in your own statement.

You/We can challenge government actions, the banks, trans agenda etc. There are loads of threads on all of these issues.

The problem is not that we can't discuss the situation. The problem is the labeling of posters as a racist, bigot, etc when their opinions are simply different from the PC camp.

You're seeking to discredit opinions based on the idea that no opinion can accommodate the endless possibilities out there. Someone can't say they're not attracted to black women, because he/she hasn't encountered/seen every black woman, so their opinion is invalid. Except, for "most" people, there is the awareness that such opinions are not absolute. Those opinions are based on their experiences to date... the future being fluid, and something that might change their opinion... but for now, their opinion is valid.
    What if there was a group of Black women in here posting how they aren't attracted to White men,

I highly doubt they'd care. Just as most Black guys I know wouldn't be bothered by white women stating that they find Black guys unattractive. It's' just an opinion..... not a universal foundation of reality.
    or if some public figure with sway was to announce he is not attracted to Black women,it only stokes racism its an untruth said to cause offence because you have already said you find some of them attractive in the same statement.

Nope. It doesn't stoke racism. It stokes "outrage" in those who find racism offensive, and those who enjoy being outraged.. There is a growing section of society that just want to be offended... and often they're offended on behalf of someone else (who isn't offended, or couldn't care in the slightest).

Except that nobody said that they dislike all black people. They said that they don't find them attractive... and Personally, I did say that I do find them attractive, have dated black women, and that I wouldn't date them again due to the manner of behavior common with them. (yes, not all of them, which shouldn't need to be stated, since most people would recognise that...)
    Keep that stuff in your head,it does no use to anybody spouting that around,only causes offence and its not even true.

It's an opinion, and people have the right to voice their opinions. You certainly are... and I'm not hearing many facts from you. '

And I would disagree.... It is very helpful to society that we take all topics and discuss them. Through discussion, we can widen our knowledge, gain insight into the perception of others, and identity problem areas. Shutting down discussion is far more likely to encourage racism because people feel marginalized or censored. Which IMO leads to visions of being a victim, helplessness, then anger, and later to hate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You/We can challenge government actions, the banks, trans agenda etc. There are loads of threads on all of these issues.

The problem is not that we can't discuss the situation. The problem is the labeling of posters as a racist, bigot, etc when their opinions are simply different from the PC camp.

You're seeking to discredit opinions based on the idea that no opinion can accommodate the endless possibilities out there. Someone can't say they're not attracted to black women, because he/she hasn't encountered/seen every black woman, so their opinion is invalid. Except, for "most" people, there is the awareness that such opinions are not absolute. Those opinions are based on their experiences to date... the future being fluid, and something that might change their opinion... but for now, their opinion is valid.

I highly doubt they'd care. Just as most Black guys I know wouldn't be bothered by white women stating that they find Black guys unattractive. It's' just an opinion..... not a universal foundation of reality.

Nope. It doesn't stoke racism. It stokes "outrage" in those who find racism offensive, and those who enjoy being outraged.. There is a growing section of society that just want to be offended... and often they're offended on behalf of someone else (who isn't offended, or couldn't care in the slightest).

Except that nobody said that they dislike all black people. They said that they don't find them attractive... and Personally, I did say that I do find them attractive, have dated black women, and that I wouldn't date them again due to the manner of behavior common with them. (yes, not all of them, which shouldn't need to be stated, since most people would recognise that...)

It's an opinion, and people have the right to voice their opinions. You certainly are... and I'm not hearing many facts from you. '

And I would disagree.... It is very helpful to society that we take all topics and discuss them. Through discussion, we can widen our knowledge, gain insight into the perception of others, and identity problem areas. Shutting down discussion is far more likely to encourage racism because people feel marginalized or censored. Which IMO leads to visions of being a victim, helplessness, then anger, and later to hate.

I don't like Indians. No particular reason I just don't like them.

racism
    /ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I don't believe that my race is better than them though so it's not racism its opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Blueshoe wrote: »

What about cowboys?

What about cowboys?

Eastern European plumbers is the correct term. 😎

Disclaimer Alert. I'm only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

racism
    /ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I don't believe that my race is better than them though so it's not racism its opinion.

I dont mind them but hated Geronimo when I was a kid for some reason :confused:

bullpost wrote: »
    I dont mind them but hated Geronimo when I was a kid for some reason :confused:

He fought both the Americans and the Mexicans while defending his people from foreign invasion.

The yanks probably labelled him a terrorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

He fought both the Americans and the Mexicans while defending his people from foreign invasion.

The yanks probably labelled him a terrorist

A far right xenophobia racist who opposed the free movement of people.:D

• Advertisement

There is plenty of Irish born and bred Black women as Irish as you and me.

Sure, there are. Care to quote where someone stated differently?

You seem to enjoy assigning suggestions that nobody has made...
    Reality is i didn't vote for mass immigration but they are here now to stay

Reality? Right. Ok. Well, nobody got to vote on it.
    and you guys are adding nothing positive to society,some young Black Irish woman could be reading this thread now with a hoard of Irish men posting on boards about how they aren't attracted to Black women and liking each others posts.

You seem confused as to the purpose of boards. It's a discussion board where posters discuss... well.. everything and anything (within the rules).

I don't see why any Irish Black woman would be offended by a number of posters saying they find black women unattractive. Why would she care what strangers are saying?

Nobody (recently) is making any offensive remarks about her race. If she's getting offended or hurt by some strangers stating their own preferences, then she needs to grow a thicker skin, and realise that the world does not revolve around her.
    Then we complain about race relations,this kinda of talk is in part why young Black kids have to look to America for role models with idiots like Jay z and Beyonce as their only role models since its seemingly allowed in their adopted country to declare them all unattractive,without having met or seen them all.If even you said i never met a Black woman i was attracted to that would be slightly more palatable,but still most likely untrue.

You're exaggerating so much here... and combining the posts of different posters together to represent the whole. My opinions are not the same as Uncle Pierre, or 2u2me. We might appreciate or agree with their pov on a particular topic, but it's inaccurate to combine points and suggest that we're all in this together.
    We aren't to blame for the race problems brewing here

Of course, we are. We've got dozens of other nations who have encouraged multiculturalism, and experienced the negatives. And rather than deal with the problems before they become bigger problems, we're simply repeating the same mistakes. Shutting down discussion for misguided notions of racism or offending peoples sensibilities. Refusing to properly understand what causes youths to turn to such avenues for expression, and finding new ways to counter the danger. Instead, we're to pretend everything is fine, and shut down any opposition as being racist. Head in the sand, and all that.
    but you surely aren't helping things with this kind of rubbish and i wouldn't mind but its not even remotely true,

Well, I do love how you know his opinion better than he knows himself... That's a powerful skill. Or that your opinion trumps everyone elses opinion, because..... truth? yup.
    we are all humans and we are attracted to all races and so post away all you want about not being attracted to Black women but in reality i am old enough now to know that it simply isn't true for a single one of you,you guys are just feeling powerless with the influx of foreigners and you are trying to take power back by saying i wouldn't ever date them because you know probably they wouldn't date you so you are getting in there first,nothing more nothing less.

I'm curious what's old enough now to know these things? You don't think your post is more than a little condescending? Especially since you know what's true/false for us, in spite of what we've said on this thread. Amazing that you know us all so well, and are aware of our varied experiences. :D

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

hoppy, i am not sure where you got the idea that i don't like black women. I said I don't like anyone lol.

But just so you can qoute me directly i will state it now. I refuse to date black women. Is that because I am racist? no, it's because my wife would kill me lol.

I don't really care about your background, race etc etc. You be nice to me, i will be nice to you. you be indifferent to me, ah hell i will prob still be nice to you. am irish, its in my nature. you be mean to me, feck it, i will walk away cos am too old for drama.

the few times anyone i know personally has cried racism it has usually been a joke or an attempt to get sympathy. they rarely get it cos most people, irish or not, can smell bs. serious, outright racism is fairly rare thank god. at least among my circle of people. ( not friends cos i hate everyone remember)

Hoppy, I won't bother quoting your posts, but you really are on a bizarre rant here.

Seems you'd be happier if I said I'm sexually attracted to all black women and would love to ride every one of them.

Or what about the over-70s I mentioned? Should I be sexually attracted to them too?

Maybe you'd be happiest of all if I jumped the bones of a 75-year-old black woman?

Hey, if that's what it takes to not be labelled a racist...... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 rascart

i have a colour tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

rascart wrote: »
    i have a colour tv

WhItE PrIvIleGe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 rascart

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    WhItE PrIvIleGe

eyez black

• Registered Users Posts: 13,338 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rascart wrote: »
    i have a colour tv

Back in the day, it was just black and white, nothing in between. We've really progressed, and snooker is easier to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

soups05 wrote: »

I always loved this scene from 25th Hour. Personally I always thought it isn't racist if you hate everybody equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

• Advertisement

Which is a racist comment in itself. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement