Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

timhenn wrote: »
    Does anyone have anything to back their assertions up? A lot of Africans are on the dole, the crime rate amongst Africans is huge, any proof of this?

It's like the myth about all the people getting free houses and the huge number who've never worked. The reality is far different.

If you google you will find lots of examples, here is a snippet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201816.pdf

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/nigerian-money-fraud-gang

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

everyone is a little bit unconsciously racist, it's time we accept that for what it is and move on, we're not all members of the KKK

Probably.

TBH we just have to try and all get along better. Improve relations.

Probably.

Why do we need to get along better? There weren't any real problems until people started pushing the racism agenda. This need to 'improve' on an issue that was extremely minor is what got us to this point.

Education and awareness of racism is important, but this desire to improve peoples interactions often has the opposite result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Real racism does exist in Ireland.

For example a few years ago I was walking in industrial park in Dublin and a car with a few lads, construction workers by their attire and what was going on in the area at the time, slowed down and shouted at a random guy on the footpath the other side "fook off home to Africa ya black bast***".
    The guy looked shell shocked because it was totally out of the blue as he was just going to/from his place of work in one of the major multinational hi-techs in the area.

The muppets in the car were racist assholes and will in their lifetimes probably contribute less to this country than the foreign guy they were abusing.

But, and yes there is a but, nowadays the term racist has been hijacked and is used as a way to often gain advantage and shut down discourse.

If someone pulls up some people of colour for something they have done e.g abused a worker and were discourteous, they can be labeled a racist.

People are often now immediately labelled racist if they don't subscribe to the idea that all cultures and belief systems are equal, if they don't subscribe to the idea that we should let mass immigration of uneducated and unvouched persons into our country, if they subscribe to the idea that certain groups in society should conform to normal societal norms and should not be given special dispensation to act the bollo**s

It is like how people who don't subscribe to the myth that there is nothing wrong with allowing former males (sometimes still technically males bar the self prognosis) to compete against women in sport are deemed discriminatory.

Hell the loony transgender brigade got a long term lesbian and gay rights advocate kicked off a representative body because she dared question the lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

https://www.facebook.com/kenny.robinson.71404976/videos/236746074416386/

I think someone like this dubious South African asylum seeker is sure to stir racism .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Loads of racism agains white people and zero repercussion
    Go on any social media platform and you can see reams of post about "I hate white people" now try posting "I hate black/yellow people" and see how long before you get a ban.
    Look at he New York Times Hiring of Sarah Jeong, even when it was show she has been tweeting proper racism agains white people they still did nothing to her.
    So i personally have got to the point where i care not a jot for any reports of racism, for one the media picks and chooses on what to report and completely ignores any anti white racism, so if they don't care why should i?

da_miser wrote: »
    So i personally have got to the point where i care not a jot for any reports of racism, for one the media picks and chooses on what to report and completely ignores any anti white racism, so if they don't care why should i?

I'd be similar. TBH I just feel that people should grow a thicker skin. I live in a country (China) where my skin color is an extreme minority. While the racism I receive wouldn't be as bad as black people get, it's still there and something I, simply, deal with. As others should deal with it.

Aggressive, and overly offensive racism shouldn't be tolerated, but we are at the point where many people are reacting to the minor things. Or putting discrimination caused by other factors to be placed under the same category of racism..

As for anti-white racism, Yup.. it's definitely there and growing, especially if you're a white male. The mixture of sexism and racism is quite telling. Double standards are fashionable now.

I'd be similar. TBH I just feel that people should grow a thicker skin. I live in a country (China) where my skin color is an extreme minority. While the racism I receive wouldn't be as bad as black people get, it's still there and something I, simply, deal with. As others should deal with it.

Aggressive, and overly offensive racism shouldn't be tolerated, but we are at the point where many people are reacting to the minor things. Or putting discrimination caused by other factors to be placed under the same category of racism..

As for anti-white racism, Yup.. it's definitely there and growing, especially if you're a white male. The mixture of sexism and racism is quite telling. Double standards are fashionable now.

The only difference that i can see between people with black, brown and yellow skin and those with white skin is that the white skin is infinitely more thicker.
    White people just get on with their life, not looking to be offended at every little thing, then again maybe white folk are leaving a lot of money on the table, this litigious world we live in, it pays a lot to be offended.

The only difference that i can see between people with black, brown and yellow skin and those with white skin is that the white skin is infinitely more thicker.
    White people just get on with their life, not looking to be offended at every little thing, then again maybe white folk are leaving a lot of money on the table, this litigious world we live in, it pays a lot to be offended.

Ahh.. no.. I don't buy into any of that (definitely not about the thicker thingy), except for the offended part... and white people are jumping on to the offended wagon pretty damn fast. Instead of race (although masochistic collective guilt is a thing), it's more gender based. Or some other element.

Ahh.. no.. I don't buy into any of that (definitely not about the thicker thingy), except for the offended part... and white people are jumping on to the offended wagon pretty damn fast. Instead of race (although masochistic collective guilt is a thing), it's more gender based. Or some other element.

White people are getting "woke" to racism no doubt abut it, they have see the money to be made and a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible, companies will pay out /promote just to avoid the optics.

• Advertisement

White people are getting "woke" to racism no doubt abut it, they have see the money to be made and a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible, companies will pay out /promote just to avoid the optics.

Care to give me some evidence of White people making claims of racism directed towards them, to " a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible"?

Cause I haven't seen such. Unless we're talking about an extreme minority in the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Probably.

I'd be careful here; usually when someone says that they mean only white people as in their minds only people 'in power' can be racist.

I'd like to see that poster clarify their statement.
    everyone is a little bit unconsciously racist, it's time we accept that for what it is and move on, we're not all members of the KKK

No doubt we can all get along better but don't let them trick you into believing the idea of 'original sin'. All you need to do is accept Jesus and you will be saved. Sound familiar? :p

Care to give me some evidence of White people making claims of racism directed towards them, to " a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible"?

Cause I haven't seen such. Unless we're talking about an extreme minority in the US?

I doubt you would walk happily around any predominately migrant or coloured area in the world !

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I doubt you would walk happily around any predominately migrant or coloured area in the world !

Strange response to my post... Doesn't even seem to be related..

In any case, I've traveled in both the M.East, and Eastern Africa. Or the Turkish community area in Frankfurt (20 years ago)? Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In any case, I've traveled in both the M.East, and Eastern Africa. Or the Turkish community area in Frankfurt (20 years ago)? Does that count?

I think the poster went on a tangent , but I dont think theres any area in any white majority country where the simple fact of being black or brown and walking down the street on your own is liable to have you killed or severely injured.

There are a hell of a lot of black / brown countries and even black/ brown areas in white countries (US) where a white person will be attacked purely for being white

You walk around any migrant slum areas in European or US cities ? The theme was about racism towards whites . I live in the Philippines at present I experience racism its more like they are jealous really . You can get assasinated if you have any conflict easily . You get used to it and learn to keep a low profile .

You walk around any migrant slum areas in European or US cities ? The theme was about racism towards whites . I live in the Philippines at present I experience racism its more like they are jealous really . You can get assasinated if you have any conflict easily . You get used to it and learn to keep a low profile .

No.. the post was iin response to:

"White people are getting "woke" to racism no doubt abut it, they have see the money to be made and a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible, companies will pay out /promote just to avoid the optics."

which is why I asked for some examples. You took my post out of context, and then went along a completely different direction. It might have made more sense if you hadn't quoted me, and simply posted it as a standalone.

No.. the post was iin response to:

"White people are getting "woke" to racism no doubt abut it, they have see the money to be made and a easier career advancement path can be obtained with a few claims of racism, don't have to be real or even credible, companies will pay out /promote just to avoid the optics."

which is why I asked for some examples. You took my post out of context, and then went along a completely different direction. It might have made more sense if you hadn't quoted me, and simply posted it as a standalone.

My point being they are not really hurt by a racist comment but use the situation for benefit .

My point being they are not really hurt by a racist comment but use the situation for benefit .

Which is fine, in itself... but it wasn't related to my post. At least, I can't see the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Another example of putting the car before the horse this week, I'm sure a lot of people have seen it , the video of the African American girl doing Irish dancing , a video which nobody had a problem with, but the usual suspect , anti white racist and person who loves to be offended by everything , Emma dabiri decided to scream and shout about there being a racist response and how dare Irish people call it cultural appropriation . The biggest issue was, these people were all in her imagination and nobody had an issue.

this is also a woman who said white people having dreadlocks or corn rows in their hair was cultural appropriation and shouted down a guest on Brendan o'conners cutting edge saying the other guests opinion was invalid because she was a 'middle class white woman'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Another example of putting the car before the horse this week, I'm sure a lot of people have seen it , the video of the African American girl doing Irish dancing , a video which nobody had a problem with, but the usual suspect , anti white racist and person who loves to be offended by everything , Emma dabiri decided to scream and shout about there being a racist response and how dare Irish people call it cultural appropriation . The biggest issue was, these people were all in her imagination and nobody had an issue.

this is also a woman who said white people having dreadlocks or corn rows in their hair was cultural appropriation and shouted down a guest on Brendan o'conners cutting edge saying the other guests opinion was invalid because she was a 'middle class white woman'

racism-chart.gif

White people are constantly told racism is bad, but the woke media promotes open season against white people, then same media gets annoyed when white people are now starting to get "woke" with anti white racism.
    Media says minorities are under attack, evil white folk to blame , but fails to acknowledge that white folk are the minority world wide.
    If white folk are so evil , can someone please explain why black, brown and yellow folk are fleeing their homelands to get to white countries?

Media says "believe all women" then a women comes forward and says Joe Biden assaulted her, media turns a blind eye.
    The media is full of śhit, they don't publish the news, they have a agenda, they promote stories for advertising clicks, the world is no where near as bad as the media would have you believe, anyone who has been on holiday can vouch people just want to get on with their lives, no time for outrage whipped up by the so called liberal elite, racism is in reality no where near as bad as the woke media would have you believe

White people are constantly told racism is bad, but the woke media promotes open season against white people, then same media gets annoyed when white people are now starting to get "woke" with anti white racism.
    Media says minorities are under attack, evil white folk to blame , but fails to acknowledge that white folk are the minority world wide.
    If white folk are so evil , can someone please explain why black, brown and yellow folk are fleeing their homelands to get to white countries?

Media says "believe all women" then a women comes forward and says Joe Biden assaulted her, media turns a blind eye.
    The media is full of śhit, they don't publish the news, they have a agenda, they promote stories for advertising clicks, the world is no where near as bad as the media would have you believe, anyone who has been on holiday can vouch people just want to get on with their lives, no time for outrage whipped up by the so called liberal elite, racism is in reality no where near as bad as the woke media would have you believe

Well, TBH, the media has done a pretty good job at desensitising me. I don't really pay much attention to media reports anymore, and rarely become shocked by what's shown/reported. Images of warfare abroad, poverty, etc are pretty commonplace on many news outlets, designed to shock people rather than encourage actual interest. Same with the racist or sexist articles. Everything is clickbait or ragebait. Designed to raise anger.. and they play with where that anger is supposed to be directed... alas.. people are becoming rather cynical. Not simply at Media itself, but dismissing the importance of news stories as being irrelevant to their lives. I'd place a large degree of responsibility on the media for that.

.. alas.. people are becoming rather cynical. Not simply at Media itself, but dismissing the importance of news stories as being irrelevant to their lives. I'd place a large degree of responsibility on the media for that.

Adam Curtis coined a term for this, 'oh dearism'. He explains the rise of this phenomenon in television news in his documentaries. The media have given up reporting news stories as political struggles.
    In 1968 the radicals found a way to affect change in the world, bypassing politicians. Western politicans were doing nothing as thousands starved in Biafra. Propaganda movies were created to portray what was happening as a new holocaust.
    BoB Geldolf used television to create an event that showcased extraordinary altrusim, Live Aid.
    It showed we together could do more to save the world than our ineffectual and corrupted politicians.
    It also made us feel good about ourselves.

Those running Live Aid thought they had trascended the corruption of politics. Actually the money they raised could well have had their own corrupting and destructive effects in Africa.

It may have lead to as many deaths as it did people saved by the aid.
    But this wasn't reported; because it was too complicated. It wouldn't have made us feel good about ourselves.

In 1989 the west won the cold war. The old political story of left vs right was finished but reporters still needed a grand simple story about the world into which all the chaotic events could be fitted. Waiting in the wings was the hippy counter culture view of the world. A view which saw everything as a struggle between innocent individuals and corrupt political systems. T.V. news embraced it eagerly and it worked; from the glorious revolutions in eastern Europe to the brave students of Tiananmen square through to the plucky Bosnians at the horror of Sarajevo. Television news told a story of noble individuals bravely standing up against bad political systems.

But this simple battle between good and evil couldn't last. It finally cracked back where it first began in Africa. In 1994 Hutus massacred millions of Tutsis in Rwanda. In the wake of the massacres millions of refugees flooded into the Congo. Western aid workers and television crews also flooded in to help the innocent victims. But they soon discovered that many of them weren't innocent at all. They were the evil Hutus who had killed millions of the Tutsis.
    Then the Tutsis invaded the camp to get their revenge. Instead of behaving like good victims, they too carried out terrible massacres and a horrific war began in which 4.5million people died. Everyone was evil; even the children.

That had a terrible effect on television news. When there weren't any good and innocent people to support any longer the kind of news reporting invented in the 1990's made no sense. Because the news had given up on reporting them as political struggles it meant there was no way to understand why these terrible events were happening. Instead political conflicts around the world from Darfur to Gaza were now portrayed to us as simple illustrations of the mindless cruelty of the human race about which nothing can be done.

And to which the only response is, "Oh Dear".
    Adam Curtis, Oh Dearism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Will someone please think of the children?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

*eyebrow raised* that's more than a little fcuked up.

I agree and it is also a little misplaced.
    I just took a look a the first page of his previous posts. I would encourage everyone to do the same. At least he knows he has a mental illness, I am not so sure he is aware of the massive chip on his shoulder.
    Ah well, let's hope this thread is cleaned up before the morning and the discussion can continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can someone please explain why African immigrants are the only ones to do worse than local irish while European immigrants do better than local Irish?

Is it genetic differences in the races or purely a lack of education?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/most-immigrants-doing-better-than-locals-but-africans-doing-worse-esri-1.3688697

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can someone please explain why African immigrants are the only ones to do worse than local irish while European immigrants do better than local Irish?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/most-immigrants-doing-better-than-locals-but-africans-doing-worse-esri-1.3688697

I dont even understand your question? Are you asking if Black people are less intelligent because of genetic differences?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Neither. Culture. E.g. Africa is more of a polychronic culture.

Look at the statistics for second generation immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I couldn't care less what colour, race, religion or other a person is.
    If you leave me and my family alone, treat animals/,vunerables with respect, then I'm happy out.

Pi*s me off and you made an enemy.
    Oh and I don't support just anyone coming into our country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement