Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Dont worry. I am sure they will sudden have lots to say about FG's handling of the virus once its all blown over in 6 to 8 months.

As will FF and all the other political parties, and as will Joe and Josephine Public more than anyone of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It showed the hospital and trolley crisis does not really exist only clogged up with social welfare recipients because working people have go to work and no time for a/e with a sniffle .
    Doctors as bad giving them letters to go !
    The FFG comical Ali is in da house.....

That does sound comical on the face of it but..well...what is the story with the trolley crisis now? This isnt an anti SF question btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It showed the hospital and trolley crisis does not really exist only clogged up with social welfare recipients because working people have go to work and no time for a/e with a sniffle .
    Doctors as bad giving them letters to go !

The number of people limiting their social interactions, drivers, pubs, restaurants, sports clubs etc

That’s why the trolley figures have dropped.

People that go to A&E with minor ailments (many do due to poor advice by GP/Out of hours) are not given trolleys or beds to occupy.

They are also not counted on the trolley watch figures. They are seen by the triage nurse and referred to the local injuries unit. You’re talking complete BS and have probably never stepped foot into an A&E in Ireland if you think that’s how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lantus wrote: »
    It's a no win scenario for all tds. Sf don't want to form a government and be responsible for morgue trucks.

Or the biggest ever unemployment numbers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

As will FF and all the other political parties, and as will Joe and Josephine Public more than anyone of the others.

Ah yes, the one voice that really counts, as FG has found to its cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think the situation might turn out ok for sf when this crisis is done with all the other problems will come back to the fore .The money this will all cost will make it even harder to tackle housing and health issues when people have forgotten about the handling of the covid crisis.The people will turn fairly quickly and will target who ever is in power maby ff should lock in with fg in case fg become too popular and refuse to join up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think differently to a lot here and would say the public are not as foolish as some think. Now that they have got a lot off their chest by voting for Sf and an assortment of newbies most people will turn to the established and experienced politician in FF and FG to steer the ship in these unknown times. Can kicking and grandstanding will serve no one and it is well the public at large know this.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Think the situation might turn out ok for sf when this crisis is done with all the other problems will come back to the fore .The money this will all cost will make it even harder to tackle housing and health issues when people have forgotten about the handling of the covid crisis.The people will turn fairly quickly and will target who ever is in power maby ff should lock in with fg in case fg become too popular and refuse to join up .

Well hopefully things won't turn out ok for Sinn Fein as they don't seem to have a clue as to what's going on in the current crisis.

I must say, the government as it now stands is doing a great job locally with this pandemic, there are constant references to Ireland (from across the water) and the very professional way our government is coping with this crisis.

...and where are Sinn Fein?

Skulking in the bushes, passing the odd negative remark from the sidelines, waiting for this to blow over, before they reappear louder & stronger than ever, probably?

The Irish electorate are fickle, so who knows what way they'll sway when the dust has settled after Covid-19 has passed . . .

I know I'd give top marks for the way this crisis has been handled, but then, as you can see from this thread, there are many other who think the current government is hopeless & is making a total mess, so what do I know :(

so what do I know :(

Well, you obviously don't know how elections and the constitution work and the SF don;t have the power to do anything in the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well I know that, but they'd like to have the power, and sometimes Mary Lou almost demands that she's given the power!

Hopefully SF will never get in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The number of people limiting their social interactions, drivers, pubs, restaurants, sports clubs etc

That’s why the trolley figures have dropped.

People that go to A&E with minor ailments (many do due to poor advice by GP/Out of hours) are not given trolleys or beds to occupy.

They are also not counted on the trolley watch figures. They are seen by the triage nurse and referred to the local injuries unit. You’re talking complete BS and have probably never stepped foot into an A&E in Ireland if you think that’s how it works.

Pure rubbish ur comment did u ever see the amount of people wearing tracksuits in there and it’s not from football training I’m on about , suppose u wear one urself might explain !
    What’s more the a/efigures are down with 3 weeks just as the news broke on our first cases so that does not explain your answer !
    Have been to your local doctor to see the clientele in the waiting room if u leave the old people out !
    It’s like a coffee morning for the tracksuit/pyjama gang with there new arrivals discussing who’s the father !

Well I know that, but they'd like to have the power, and sometimes Mary Lou almost demands that she's given the power!

Hopefully SF will never get in.

You know they can;t do anything, but you're still jeering them for not doing anything. Got it.

I don't mind who gets in as long as we get a government that will run the country for the citizens for a change. It looks like it's taken a global pandemic to get FG to even think about such a change of tack in the 61st minute...if they did that before they might not be just a caretaker government now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Usually when someone or something gets popular and there's commonology involved I turn the other way or am sceptical.
    I vote on my local representatives and see what they have done not what they said.
    Action speaks louder than words.

Any one who follows the herd usually gets caught when the man with the dog comes to round the herd up into the pen.

There was a Sinn Feinn politician in Clare who a lot of the people voted for.
    I assure you I didn't vote for her, fck nooo
    I could find nothing to validate my vote.

Imagine the state of the situation without the knowledge of the financial system and accounts.

Pierce Doherty is the best of then, unfortunately he wasn't my local politician, he'd have gotten a no 1, not because of his party but because of his merits, hard work and a pair of platinum balls.
    He's a grafter and I like him.

So best leave this disaster to Leo and Michael.

They're doing the best they can, and if people don't adhere to the social distancing and grow the fck up they'll be a wreck.

I posted on another thread about a work colleague who treated people like lepers if they even had a sniffle, that's going back 12 years
    She went sick out of fear and locked herself and her 4 boys and husband away.
    Now it transpires one of her sons was in direct contact with someone last week who was tested positive 4 days ago.
    Herself and her husband and boys are now in quarantine, waiting on a test she has all the symptoms.

The very one myself and my work colleagues said would be more than likely to get it.

Irony

At the moment there seems to be a major similarity between the UK and Ireland.

People don’t particularly like Boris, but thanks the stars that Corbyn isn't leading this.

People may not like Leo, but thanks the stars Mary Lou is t running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aegir wrote: »
    At the moment there seems to be a major similarity between the UK and Ireland.

People don’t particularly like Boris, but thanks the stars that Corbyn isn't leading this.

So what you really mean is if Corbyn was in power now, and he had undertaken the exact same strategy Boris had, which was contrary to the advice of his leading scientific advisors, you'd be able to criticise Corbyn as bumbling, but you can't bring yourself to criticise Boris because of your own political ideology. Boris has ensured the body count will be greater due to listening to Cummings over his scientic advisors and the advice of WHO, but yeah lets over look all that and be thankful Corbyn is not in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have cravenly backed off into the hedge when there's a proper crisis in true Homer Simpson style

When the real women and men of Ireland are trying to get the country back on it's feet Sinn Fein will come out of the cowardly hibernation and start off the mouthing, barracking, bitching and usual sniping.

Then the usual dullards, mouth breathers and armchair revolutinoaries will shakily stand up in front of their tv's and laptops, shake their fists, and do nothing other than vote for them, then they'll sit back down, fart and belch and continue being utterly useless.

As man have pointed out SF and their supporters represent 25% of the population now. They're also more often than not working class.driving lorry's working on tills. Keeping food on the table. Not only that but alot will be facing uncertain financial circumstances because of this virus. Are the Finnerbots worried that SF will stand up for these folk at the cost of their golden circle?

This whole where have SF gone must be part of the latest FG brainstorming even to discredit them. Pathetic politicising in a time of crisis. So many FG mouthpieces posted the same questions at the same time. What's more it's demonstrable incorrect:

https://twitter.com/MarkAgitprop/status/1240336839833247751?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

So what you really mean is if Corbyn was in power now, and he had undertaken the exact same strategy Boris had, which was contrary to the advice of his leading scientific advisors, you'd be able to criticise Corbyn as bumbling, but you can't bring yourself to criticise Boris because of your own political ideology. Boris has ensured the body count will be greater due to listening to Cummings over his scientic advisors and the advice of WHO, but yeah lets over look all that and be thankful Corbyn is not in charge.

Every centre left /populist left government is totally f***** this up in Europe (Spain, Italy).
    They have no replies, because they can’t spend like the centre right as they don’t and never will have the economy to back it.
    CEntre right is surging in polls in Germany (only polling in Europe post Corona).

US is spending 4trillion now
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fed-will-make-up-to-4-trillion-in-loans-to-businesses-to-rescue-economy-mnuchin-says-2020-03-22

They can, they have the booming trump economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

smurgen wrote: »
    This whole where have SF gone must be part of the latest FG brainstorming even to discredit them. Pathetic politicising in a time of crisis. So many FG mouthpieces posted the same questions at the same time. What's more it's demonstrable incorrect:

https://twitter.com/MarkAgitprop/status/1240336839833247751?s=19

Except I would imagine all those SF TDs went onto those shows to either:

A - whine about how badly the current Gov are handling the situation, being too slow/too quick in whatever situation

B - whine about how were are in this situation because of FF/FG actions over the past few years and SF would have ensured this never would have gotten as bad as it is

Heard MaryLou whinging on one radio show a few days back sneering at the Govs handling of all this, and still trying to make her "Gov of the Left"...well MLmD, get on yer phone then! Not like the opposition TDs are pressing the flesh at GGA matches/funerals/over a bar these days! Get enough support, march into Michael Tweens office, slap down your votes of support and give Leo the boot so!

Except she wont because she is not eyeing up being in Gov anytime soon. Same radio program, she made mention how a critical opposition was also important for the running of a country....I bet SF are going to let FG/FF organize a Gov till 2025 and use this event and the inevitable recession to beat them and push for a larger majority in the next election. its not like SF can even guarantee their lat election promises, the USC cuts were going to be paid from the rainy day fund FG setup years back in light of the last recession...a fund which is gonna be well spent (and then some!) by the time were out of this.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Except I would imagine all those SF TDs went onto those shows to either:

A - whine about how badly the current Gov are handling the situation, being too slow/too quick in whatever situation

B - whine about how were are in this situation because of FF/FG actions over the past few years and SF would have ensured this never would have gotten as bad as it is

Heard MaryLou whinging on one radio show a few days back sneering at the Govs handling of all this, and still trying to make her "Gov of the Left"...well MLmD, get on yer phone then! Not like the opposition TDs are pressing the flesh at GGA matches/funerals/over a bar these days! Get enough support, march into Michael Tweens office, slap down your votes of support and give Leo the boot so!

Except she wont because she is not eyeing up being in Gov anytime soon. Same radio program, she made mention how a critical opposition was also important for the running of a country....I bet SF are going to let FG/FF organize a Gov till 2025 and use this event and the inevitable recession to beat them and push for a larger majority in the next election. its not like SF can even guarantee their lat election promises, the USC cuts were going to be paid from the rainy day fund FG setup years back in light of the last recession...a fund which is gonna be well spent (and then some!) by the time were out of this.

You can imagine away.your imagination has no bearance on how people perceive SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

smurgen wrote: »
    You can imagine away.your imagination has no bearance on how people perceive SF.
    sounded pretty on the money to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People don’t particularly like Boris

Nah, he's won a big majority and the press/media treat him with kid gloves.

One of the differences between the British and Irish is that the former tend to associate a toff accent with expertise, and resolve, whereas the latter associate it with colonialism and subjugation.

506630.png

Thank goodness that shire of bastards aren't still in control of (most of) Ireland.

One of the differences between the British and Irish is that the former tend to associate a toff accent with expertise, and resolve, whereas the latter associate it with colonialism and subjugation.

Thank goodness that shire of bastards aren't still in control of (most of) Ireland.

Boris’ “pivot” shows same sort of manoeuvre as Olga Korbut, for those of us old enough to remember it. In an instant, he went from “herd immunity”, which is basically equal to “let the old feckers take the hit”, to “OMG drop the drawbridge” and “Barbarians at the Gate”.

“OMG drop the drawbridge” and “Barbarians at the Gate”.

Looks like the French were going to 'burn their bridges' to Britain too:

French newspaper Liberation, citing sources in Macron’s office, said Johnson’s decision came after the French leader gave him an ultimatum on Friday morning, threatening an entry ban on any traveller from the UK if there were no new measures.

in.reuters.com

506630.png

Have you read the full article?

Enough of it. Forgive me if I don't congratulate someone for adding a turbo to a car and then deciding that the brakes need applied just before it crashes into a wall because the passengers are screaming.

Run along now and carry on with your obsession with defending the British state.

Yes.

Enough of it. Forgive me if I don't congratulate someone for adding a turbo to a car and then deciding that the brakes need applied just before it crashes into a wall because the passengers are screaming.

Run along now and carry on with your obsession with defending the British state.

And what was your take on it? How does it compare with the Irish strategy?

When this was happening, the advice my daughters school received from the DFA was that it was safe to travel to Italy.

That was three weeks ago. The world has changed at an unprecedented rate in only three weeks.

Of course governments have had a change in strategy, no one had any inkling what this would involve or the number that would be infected. No one.

And what was your take on it? How does it compare with the Irish strategy?

When this was happening, the advice my daughters school received from the DFA was that it was safe to travel to Italy.

That was three weeks ago. The world has changed at an unprecedented rate in only three weeks.

Of course governments have had a change in strategy, no one had any inkling what this would involve or the number that would be infected. No one.

It compares by being much later than here. It compares by being half-hearted. The schools are closed here, not in the UK, where they are staying open for children of health care workers etc. If you thought Glendalough and Lahinch were busy here yesterday (and they were) it was nowhere near as full as beaches, parks and so on in the UK. They are not undertaking community testing in the UK. I hope that NI, and Scotland, will wake up soon.

Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Its a bit so so that SF only turned up when the public found them out. Some are probably very reluctant to bother if it was not for the orders from the top brigade pushing them about.

Dan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement