Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Got DQ'd from this mornings race on zwiftpower for being above the W/KG in my category. On the results page though, there is people with a higher W/KG for the race who are placed in the results.

Anybody know how they calculate this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Got DQ'd from this mornings race on zwiftpower for being above the W/KG in my category. On the results page though, there is people with a higher W/KG for the race who are placed in the results.

Anybody know how they calculate this?

If people are new and they ahven't enough races done or if they are a Junior, there are also some other rules about the other info, so you can occasionally get someone with high w/kg in a lower group. Give Zwift power about a day for the results to be finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I think cats are based on 95% of 20 mins power

nordicb wrote: »
    I think cats are based on 95% of 20 mins power

Basically but there are exceptions, they are changing the rules at the end of the month, if you look at your profile, you can see where you will be on May 1st, as they take into account 20 minute, 5 minute and 1 minute from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

DQ can be very discouraging after all the effort...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4th for my efforts in the B race if standings hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Tough fast race.

Really enjoyed it -second race after second in my cat last week.

Was really disappointed though when I went on to Zwift power to see a DQ for UPG..

Is it just me or is it a shortfall in the application that it allows you to register for the wrong cat?

I just went straight to Zwift to register for D cat last night without looking at ZP which had obviously upgraded me from last week..

Bit miffed as I gave it my all knowing the mid course lump was going to see me going backwards...

Since it was a mass start you could message the rganiser on Facebook and see if he can merge you into the C results. I got DQd for my HR failing last week but I was 50th so didn't actually care.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Since it was a mass start you could message the rganiser on Facebook and see if he can merge you into the C results. I got DQd for my HR failing last week but I was 50th so didn't actually care.
    Thanks for your suggestion CC.

I’m not that serious about it all-it’s good craic and it keeps me sane...

My point was that if they can DQ that easily from the data and the category, surely Zwift/Zwiftpower could stop you logging into the wrong cat it at the very least let you know you have been upgraded..

Quick one for you-my Garmin HR strap doesn’t seem to link with Zwift. Will that also DQ me as a Cat C?

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

ZP has me 16th overall and i count as 8th Irish so am in the points again :) have managed points in all races so far. Feels good as i had hoped to peak for Easter racing and it certainly worked! New FTP again today! Up another 18W! I knew today was all abut that climb and was comfortably staying alert for most of the race but got caught out into the main climb and missed a split with the top 11 escaping to settle it amongst them. Ttied to recover but stil push the grup on here and there on the decsent as i didnt want others joining! SPrinting is not my strong point and i opeed up a little late but happy enough to finish 5th in the sprint in the bunch of 12 or so i was with, i saw McGlinchey go and at the time i hadnt started and knew immediately i was late getting going. Was never going to beat him but might have managed beating 1 or 2 of the other Irish riders. Was only 0.075 of a second off McGlinchey so happy enough! I had set a 5s power record on Wednesday but was 138W off it today!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3315394419

• Advertisement

ckeego wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestion CC.

I’m not that serious about it all-it’s good craic and it keeps me sane...
    Unless your top 10 you won't get points, so you can just look in the filtered results, get your time and when CI release results, figure out where you would have been
    My point was that if they can DQ that easily from the data and the category, surely Zwift/Zwiftpower could stop you logging into the wrong cat it at the very least let you know you have been upgraded..
    Zwiftpower is unofficial, and essentially just a data filter, so can't do anything. Zwift on the other hand don't want too as they are worried about it annoying subscribers. So you can't trust the Zwift results, and you have to keep an eye on Zwiftpower before every race, no simpler way round it for now.
    Quick one for you-my Garmin HR strap doesn’t seem to link with Zwift. Will that also DQ me as a Cat C?
    Is your HRM ANT+ or BLE (or both), if it is older it might be the former only and you need a dongle, if its newer, it might be too many Bluetooth devices, I'd have to know more about your set up.

Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ckeego wrote: »

No HRM in any organised race will have DQ'd you see all the pros talking about their finish once all the no HRM DQs are filtered.

I assume it's the old garmin strap as the newer ones are Bluetooth and Ant+, do you have an ANT+ dongle.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No HRM in any organised race will have DQ'd you see all the pros talking about their finish once all the no HRM DQs are filtered.

I assume it's the old garmin strap as the newer ones are Bluetooth and Ant+, do you have an ANT+ dongle.
    Have the ANT+ dongle on the turbo itself (Elite Turbo Muin 2018)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Quick question to all you Zwift riders. I have a non smart trainer (Elite Tubro Munin) but a wireless SRM with a PC8 which is ANT + and a Garmin ANT +HR strap. Will this allow me to race on Zwift if I get a ANT+ Dongle for my laptop?

amjon. wrote: »
    Quick question to all you Zwift riders. I have a non smart trainer (Elite Tubro Munin) but a wireless SRM with a PC8 which is ANT + and a Garmin ANT +HR strap. Will this allow me to race on Zwift if I get a ANT+ Dongle for my laptop?

Yep, I used same turbo with a Stages this week. Just watch the gradient on the right of the screen & know your climbing watts to react as we won't have resistance increases on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Got kick out of Zwift on sat 1 min into the race (2nd race it happened), so that was the end for me, so annoying as i have done a good few races on Zwift and it is only the CI races it happens. My internet ect is good, i was in the race 20min before the start to see if that helped.
    Does anyone know if there is anything i can do to try and stop this from happenning, or is there a way i can get into the race again once i am kicked, when it happens i am kick out of Zwift altogether and have to log back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Would the 105 4iiii power meter work on the Claris cranks?.I have them on my winter bike which I use for my turbo and it’s going for about 270 now on various sites. I can always transfer it to my good bike when the time comes to get back on the road. Also would this connect straight to my iPad or iPhone on zwift.

Would the 105 4iiii power meter work on the Claris cranks?.I have them on my winter bike which I use for my turbo and it’s going for about 270 now on various sites. I can always transfer it to my good bike when the time comes to get back on the road. Also would this connect straight to my iPad or iPhone on zwift.

If they're the newer claris cranks, hollow tech 2 they should be fine. It seems to be both blue tooth and ant+ so should connect to you ipad or phone through blue tooth

€253 on mantel. FYI - I've never used the site before

https://www.mantel.com/ie/4iiii-precision-105-r7000-left?spec%5B%5D=8917&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiEvEh9Ttr7eUMYsMfAbKyg8tcGEUK7RRH-HZuf6VLoIyyc1Y_u7abBoCZEIQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If they're the newer claris cranks, hollow tech 2 they should be fine. It seems to be both blue tooth and ant+ so should connect to you ipad or phone through blue tooth

€253 on mantel. FYI - I've never used the site before

https://www.mantel.com/ie/4iiii-precision-105-r7000-left?spec%5B%5D=8917&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiEvEh9Ttr7eUMYsMfAbKyg8tcGEUK7RRH-HZuf6VLoIyyc1Y_u7abBoCZEIQAvD_BwE

Yes they are hollow tech 2. Seen it also on mantle and seen to have plenty in stock, so looks like a good deal at the moment since all the affordable smart trainers are gone. Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seems to be an ever increasing number of power drops and kick outs, but to be expected. Great platform to be even running at all considering the numbers into 30k's at once stage!!

As one of the original beta testers its amazing to see how much its taken off.

I wasn't gonna race this year at all but thankfully these have kept my sanity in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=613935

This week's CI Race, nice hill pretty much from the get go it seems.

9.5km @ 4% or so, that's a long old effort starting after 3-4km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SB2007

dahat wrote: »
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=613935

This week's CI Race, nice hill pretty much from the get go it seems.

Is there some sort of welsh league or championship on the same race ? Seems to be something like that looking at the entries . Could be a really competitive race wales v Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Read through a lot of this thread (not all admittedly), very interesting, but see it's mostly about racing events.

Can anyone recommend some Zwift leisure events or races where someone putting out a paltry 2.5 W/kg would have some company?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

MediaMan wrote: »
    Read through a lot of this thread (not all admittedly), very interesting, but see it's mostly about racing events.

Can anyone recommend some Zwift leisure events or races where someone putting out a paltry 2.5 W/kg would have some company?

Keep an eye on Facebook/websites of Zwift, Zwift Insider, CI , Ti for social rides led by Pros. Nico Roche had one a while back, Geraint Thomas did 3 x 12 hour rides last week. Ineos and Israel Startup hosted some recently. Otherwise I just join in with any social group ride scheduled.

Anyone got a race set up for tonight? Have entered one but I'd rather something Irish based maybe without power ups. 30-40mins ideally.

The zwift Ireland group have a social ride this evening at 7, you'll have to look them up on Facebook and down load the zwift companion app. The pace is 2w/kg but it typically splits and front will average around 3w/kg

There's also The Herd group they're usually around 1.5w/kg and I believe the have some kind of limit that boots you out if you leave the group.

Zwift companion is usually where I sign up for group spins or races and its handy to use for chat on spins, there's also discord app but I haven't gone down that road yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭woody1

the cat d races are around that , and to be honest ive done cat c by accident at that and was about mid pack , i wouldnt worry about it , your still just racing yourself at the end of the day , i did the mayo league tt and was in the first few out and got passed by almost everyone, didnt bother me at all, still got a good workout and it was within a couple of minutes of what i think i wouldve done on the road , sorry im about the same 2.5 w/kg,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nearly did a race this morning, but went up the Alpe instead. I haven't raced yet.

Use the Companion App, and look for non-workouts/ TT's that are down as category E would be my starting point. Join Zwift Team Ireland on facebook too. I've done some of the "classics" group workouts too. The current ardennes one isn't too bad (compared to the roubaix one anyway!)

I've done a couple on Saturday mornings since signing up to zwift, as I like to start earlier than the Zwift Ireland meet ups. ZwiftNL have one at 8am, with double draft which was more social. Definitely chat at the end helping people through anyway. Belgian Zwift Riders have a "Flanders Endurance Series" at 8.15 (this one is timed/ more of a gran fondo - less chat based on my one event). Both seem to be in and around 100km every week. Routes don't seem to be confirmed until later in the week, for ZNL one anyway.

This week I'm looking at TeamPL Tour 2020 stage 7 (I expect to be like the Flanders one) which is following the mega pretzel route, depending on the NL route. UK zwifters have one that goes at 10 most Saturdays. And there's actually a 200km audax showing for this Saturday!

Every event I've done on zwift has been balls out at the start until it calms down, including "social"/ "recovery" events. I'd say don't be put off by that - you'll get a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Every event I've done on zwift has been balls out at the start until it calms down, including "social"/ "recovery" events. I'd say don't be put off by that - you'll get a group.

You could sing that! Having said that it's a super work out. I did my first race last week and it was certainly a lot more fun than doing a 30 min block @ FTP with no breaks - and that was pretty much exactly what it was. Alpe du Zwift is really similar in feel to the real thing - looking forward to see whatever extensions get added next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I probably would've raced if it had been a bit longer in my window. I may end up doing the CI on Saturday yet - I'm signed up on zwiftpower a few weeks.

Never done the real Alpe, but if zwift is realistic I can see why many of the pro's hate it. I did it during Haute Route Watopia but that was on a phone that didn't cope with casting (just about coped on the phone screen) with that many people. It was essentially just a workout. Apple TV, and a bigger TV, making a massive difference to the zwift experience (overall and definitely on the Alpe).

Advertisement