Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

hmmm wrote: »
    Does the 1.4bn for the Astra Zeneca include the Serum institute deal in India? Their production is supposed to be immense. The Russians said this week they would be producing a vaccine for themselves, and the Chinese will supply all their population. The EU was involved with a WHO initiative to get vaccines into poorer parts of the world, particularly Africa. Moderna/Lonza is aiming for a billion doses.

Of course, not all the vaccine candidates might work either...

With Modena that brings the total to over 5bln doses. Given all work out (considerable IF), the others need to chip in a billion or two on top of that to practically elliminate this disease.

The ChAdOx numbers are with SII included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Hmmzis wrote: »
    With Modena that brings the total to over 5bln doses. Given all work out (considerable IF), the others need to chip in a billion or two on top of that to practically elliminate this disease.

The ChAdOx numbers are with SII included.

Many people will refuse the vaccine. Why don't people like you get that?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Many people will refuse the vaccine. Why don't people like you get that?:mad:

We know, we know. You don't like any potential vaccine being discussed. You've been telling this to everyone posting here all week and it's getting more than a little tiresome considering you're posting on a thread specifically aimed at discussing covid19 vaccine developments.

Nobody will strap you to the chair and forcibly vaccinate you.
    Just like you haven't been compulsorily vaccinated for anything else since you reached adulthood in case you haven't noticed. Take your chances and allow the rest of society to take theirs.
    Once approved that means there's more for the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Call me Al wrote: »
    We know, we know. You don't like any potential vaccine being discussed. You've been telling this to everyone posting here all week and it's getting more than a little tiresome considering you're posting on a thread specifically aimed at discussing covid19 vaccine developments.

Nobody will strap you to the chair and forcibly vaccinate you.
    Just like you haven't been compulsorily vaccinated for anything else since you reached adulthood in case you haven't noticed. Take your chances and allow the rest of society to take theirs.
    Once approved that means there's more for the rest of us.

When a poster states 7 billion vaccines are needed to eradicate the disease, that sounds a lot like mandatory vaccination.

Many of your kind advocate for this so I feel the need to fight back against it.

'm not for one second saying vaccines should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure if it was posted here or not but Dr. Fauci said in the US today that the vaccine is a cause of 'when, not if' and it's possible it'll be ready by the end of the year.

• Advertisement

When a poster states 7 billion vaccines are needed to eradicate the disease, that sounds a lot like mandatory vaccination.

Many of your kind advocate for this so I feel the need to fight back against it.

"People like you" and "many of your kind" is ridiculous language to use.
    You know nothing of what my "kind" is. And irrespective of what my "kind" is, it's irrelevant in this discussion.

Nobody here has stated they're pushing for mandatory vaccination. Stop saying they have. They're having an informed discussion about developments and trials. Nobody is insisting you get vaccinated.

For the sake of all of the people anywhere I genuinely hope we will not need anywhere near the 7bln doses to erradicate this bastard of a virus. Then again, it's better to have the doses, especially since the older and more vulnerable might need more than a dose or two to get a decent protection level.

P.S. Nobody in this thread can or will force you to take the jab.
    Personally, I will take it and so will every member of my family. Non of us want to be responsible for someone elses suffering or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

It doesn't really matter what you think or what fight you are putting up. Vaccine development will continue anyway. If there is a vaccine, many people will be vaccinated, and some won't be.

Sanofi & Glaxo expect accelerated approval of their vaccine, aiming for first-half of 2021.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sanofi-vaccine/sanofi-eyes-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-by-first-half-of-2021-idUSKBN23U0JN

It's the first time I've seen a hint of open competition:
    "“There are companies moving faster, but let us be brutally clear, speed has three downsides,” he said of competition.

“They are using existing work, in many cases done for SARS; it is likely not to be as efficacious; and there is no guarantee on supply in large volumes,” Hudson said.

The probability of success for Sanofi is “higher than anybody else,” the CEO said.

The comments echoed those of GSK, whose chief medical officer for vaccines told Reuters on Friday the company was aiming at quality before speed."

YOU Mean this SANOFI???

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/20/sanofi-whistleblower-lawsuit-kicks-into-higher-gear.html

and this same Glaxo??

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-glaxo-settlement-idUSBRE8610S720120702

and here you are jumping for joy??

Hmmzis wrote: »
    For the sake of all of the people anywhere I genuinely hope we will not need anywhere near the 7bln doses to erradicate this bastard of a virus. Then again, it's better to have the doses, especially since the older and more vulnerable might need more than a dose or two to get a decent protection level.

P.S. Nobody in this thread can or will force you to take the jab.
    Personally, I will take it and so will every member of my family. Non of us want to be responsible for someone elses suffering or death.

If you;re on the waiting list for a heart transplant, you're responsible for somebodies death in that case...the person lower down the list..

you're taking it for the altruism of it all then eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Not sure if it was posted here or not but Dr. Fauci said in the US today that the vaccine is a cause of 'when, not if' and it's possible it'll be ready by the end of the year.

For Dr fauci of all people to say that is a sign that we might be out of this **** soon. I hope to God it's later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

rusty cole wrote: »
    If you;re on the waiting list for a heart transplant, you're responsible for somebodies death in that case...the person lower down the list..

you're taking it for the altruism of it all then eh?

Fair enough you don't trust the vaccine. Don't take it then. Tbh I can see where you're coming from to a point. But don't question the professionalism or dedication of the people working on one. They're amazing people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Here's the bit where Fauci talked about vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cautiously optimistic!!!

Here's the bit where Fauci talked about vaccines.

And that is just the US vaccines. Late 2020 is assuming they beat out Oxford.

Sanofi CEO - two vaccines in development, first starts clinical trials in Autumn of this year, hoping for approval for release to the public by mid 2021. The second mRNA vaccine will follow afterwards and "may" play its part. "We have 10,000 people working on vaccines". n.b. most of the interview is not about Covid.

Is it possible for multiple vaccines to be used? Some are supposed to be ready this year and others not until 2022. What's the point of the 2022 ones if the others are going to be available?

Is it possible for multiple vaccines to be used? Some are supposed to be ready this year and others not until 2022. What's the point of the 2022 ones if the others are going to be available?
    There's a couple of reasons I can think of:
    1. No one vaccine can be manufactured in large enough doses for everyone who needs it. We'll need multiple vaccines
    2. Not every vaccine will succeed in trials. We need lots of shots on target
    3. There are multiple different technologies being used. We're not sure yet which technology will be best
    4. We may get a "good" vaccine shortly which gives protection in the short term. We might get a "better" vaccine later which gives longer-term protection.
    5. Some companies are using this to prove new platforms (see 3 above). These vaccine platforms can be re-purposed for existing viruses, or used if there are future pandemics.
    6. Some vaccines may work well in certain groups, but not others. E.g. some vaccines not be suitable for older people, and we'll need alternatives.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Fair enough you don't trust the vaccine. Don't take it then. Tbh I can see where you're coming from to a point. But don't question the professionalism or dedication of the people working on one. They're amazing people

I never questioned the people working on it, where did you get that from? I pointed out what everyone already knows, big Pharma and phrases like "race to get a vaccine" would scare the **** out of anyone without blinkers.

I lady on UTV told an interviewer last week that ordinarily it would take up to ten years for a vaccine but she's hopeful we'll see one in 2020!! t his lady had scientific clout and she put that "done in 10%" of the normal time down to the world acting as one???

I'll tell you this, Benjamin franklin never sought copyright for any of his inventions. He believed for example, the stove was something anyone should have to keep warm and feed themselves safely, the credit was enough for him.

And here amongst the fear of nations, big corrupt Pharma will safe day!!
    you're misguided if you think all entities working on this are professional and dedicated. Did you read the links I posted even???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Benjamin Franklin didn't have to invest billions in failed avenues of exploration before discovering the stove.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Benjamin Franklin didn't have to invest billions in failed avenues of exploration before discovering the stove.

that right because big Pharma don't have billions to invest right?

There's a couple of reasons I can think of:
    1. No one vaccine can be manufactured in large enough doses for everyone who needs it. We'll need multiple vaccines
    2. Not every vaccine will succeed in trials. We need lots of shots on target
    3. There are multiple different technologies being used. We're not sure yet which technology will be best
    4. We may get a "good" vaccine shortly which gives protection in the short term. We might get a "better" vaccine later which gives longer-term protection.
    5. Some companies are using this to prove new platforms (see 3 above). These vaccine platforms can be re-purposed for existing viruses, or used if there are future pandemics.
    6. Some vaccines may work well in certain groups, but not others. E.g. some vaccines not be suitable for older people, and we'll need alternatives.

This is slightly at a tangent, and I don't know if you will have an answer for me, but is there are a reason certain vaccines are grouped together when administering them to people?
    I'm just thinking in the context of why we have say the 6 in 1 for babies, but a flu vaccine on it's own. Could a covid 19 vaccine be administered along with others as part of some of our vaccine programmes as one inhalation/pill/injection or are there specific reasons for keeping some of these shots separate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Anyone else have the feeling that a promised vaccine for this will be the biggest carrot on a stick ever?

I think we'll get highly efficient (but not foolproof) treatments for this long before a vaccine

Call Me Al - I'm not qualified to answer that question, maybe someone else is :) . We should have treatments before a vaccine, perhaps Regeneron & Eli Lilly's antibodies, but these are expensive treatments and will be in limited supply.

Some news today:
    Chinese vaccine enters phase 3 trials in UAE - https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1192598.shtml
    Oxford vaccine will start phase 3 in South Africa on Wednesday - https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0623/1149219-south-africa-trial/

It's unclear to me whether the Oxford vaccine has already started phase 3 trials in Brazil and the UK?

The interesting thing for me about phase 3 trials is that the trials could be designed to both get trial results and also directly help to alleviate outbreaks - interesting read about how this was achieved for the Ebola vaccines https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/07/inside-story-scientists-produced-world-first-ebola-vaccine/

A bit more on Sanofi

"Sanofi, which like others working on Covid-19 vaccines is producing in bulk at risk — before its candidate vaccines have been shown to work — expects to have 100 million doses of the recombinant vaccine by the end of 2020, and an additional 1 billion doses in 2021, he said.

It’s unclear how many shots will be required to protect each person, though the company expects it may take two, with a four-week interval between the vaccinations. If that proves to be the case — and if the vaccine works — Sanofi could provide enough of this vaccine to protect 50 million people in 2020 and 500 million in 2021."

More for the future efforts to prevent new pandemics:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/19/science.abc6952

A rather odball human antibody that is neutralizing but targets a very inconspicious and conserved epitope that's very simiar in MERS as well.

"The Phase I/II clinical trials of the world's first inactivated COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Wuhan Institute of Biological Products under the China National Biotec Group (CNBG) affiliated to the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm), produced antibodies in every participant, it was announced on Tuesday."
    Think hmmm mentioned this above but this is really really good news.
    Apparently inactivated vaccines are the least likely to cause adverse side effects.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/worlds-1st-inactivated-covid-19-vaccine-produces-antibodies-301082558.html

A bit more on Sanofi

"Sanofi, which like others working on Covid-19 vaccines is producing in bulk at risk — before its candidate vaccines have been shown to work — expects to have 100 million doses of the recombinant vaccine by the end of 2020, and an additional 1 billion doses in 2021, he said.

It’s unclear how many shots will be required to protect each person, though the company expects it may take two, with a four-week interval between the vaccinations. If that proves to be the case — and if the vaccine works — Sanofi could provide enough of this vaccine to protect 50 million people in 2020 and 500 million in 2021."

one word! thalidomide.....
    Two words : indemnity clause

good luck with the rushed vaccine..

http://www.fordental.xyz/2020/06/exclusive-vaccine-alliance-finds.html

"The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovation (CEPI) plans to have two or three manufacturing plants for each vaccine, James Robinson, a longtime biopharma executive leading CEPI’S vast manufacturing push, said in an interview.

“Right now, we know we can do the two billion doses that we have as our kind of our minimum target” by the end of 2021, he said.

The group is planning for eight to 10 regional distribution sites “so that we don’t have to make everything centrally and try and ship it around the world,” he said."

"Access to medical glass is another known bottleneck. To overcome it, CEPI has purchased enough glass vials for two billion doses and is considering purchasing more."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The European healthcare regulator said on Thursday it had recommended conditionally approving Gilead Sciences Inc’s antiviral treatment, remdesivir, for use in COVID-19 patients across the continent

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-gilead-europe/eu-drug-regulator-endorses-gileads-remdesivir-as-covid-19-treatment-idUSKBN23W1ZH?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement