Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

In my opinion, if (or hopefully, when) a vaccine comes out, it should be compulsory. Vaccines only work through herd immunity so everyone should have it unless you have a medical exemption.

Certain countries like Finland restrict the issuance of passports or driving licences unless you play ball and do your national service. No reason why we can't implement similar here.

It might cost a lot to implement and administer, but it'll pay for itself in the long run.

In my opinion, anyone who refuses a vaccination for either themselves or their child (without a medical exemption) should not be allowed to receive lone parent's allowance, job seekers benefit, pension tax relief, fuel allowance or any state benefits, PAYE rate will increase to 99% for them and they will be barred from holding a driving licence or applying for a passport.

Finland and Cyprus prohibit issuing of documents for national service evaders so it's not a fascist concept before anyone says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Also, smokers should not receive benefits or healthcare.

antix80 wrote: »
    Also, smokers should not receive benefits or healthcare.

It's hard to prove whether someone is a social or current or former smoker.

Whereas a person will be registered by a healthcare professional as having received the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I will wait 5 years after any vaccine is approved before pumping it in to my body.

I will wait 5 years after any vaccine is approved before pumping it in to my body.

Do you know the amount of work and trials that go into vaccines and other drug products before approval?

Idiotic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Do you know the amount of work and trials that go into vaccines and other drug products before approval?

Idiotic comment.

If the vaccine is rushed I would have concerns...there was talks of certain stages being rushed.

P.S not an anti Vax...fully up to date and have got the flu jab the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Idiotic comment.

Tell that to the people who took the Pandemrix vaccine in this country and got narcolepsy, their lives are destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

In my opinion, if (or hopefully, when) a vaccine comes out, it should be compulsory. Vaccines only work through herd immunity so everyone should have it unless you have a medical exemption.

Certain countries like Finland restrict the issuance of passports or driving licences unless you play ball and do your national service. No reason why we can't implement similar here.

It might cost a lot to implement and administer, but it'll pay for itself in the long run.

In my opinion, anyone who refuses a vaccination for either themselves or their child (without a medical exemption) should not be allowed to receive lone parent's allowance, job seekers benefit, pension tax relief, fuel allowance or any state benefits, PAYE rate will increase to 99% for them and they will be barred from holding a driving licence or applying for a passport.

Finland and Cyprus prohibit issuing of documents for national service evaders so it's not a fascist concept before anyone says.

You do know that If/When a vaccine becomes available, only circa 60% (possibly a good bit less) will need to be vaccinated for this to go away. It wont need 100% of people to get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As an asthma sufferer I'll be first in line for the vaccine.
    I do appreciate that there is some risk - there is risk with everything. I got Pandremix with no ill effects, when looking at the actual risk there it was 1:55,000, honestly, even if that was known in advance I would have taken those odds.
    The effects of COVID are totally devastating to many many people, the world and society needs to go on, everyone should get the vaccine or if they wish not to be a part of society then they can opt of welfare payments too and do their own thing if they feel so strongly about it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Absolutely not. Taking the vaccine, when we have one, should be highly, highly recommended, particularly for the most vulnerable asthmatics and elderly people. That said, social welfare is a necessity for citizens of this state because no one is guaranteed a job for life, and depriving them of at the very least a way to make ends meet will only put us in an even deeper housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If the vaccine is rushed I would have concerns...there was talks of certain stages being rushed.
    "Rushed" is the wrong way to describe it, they are running certain things in parallel.

Usually a vaccine goes through three phases of trials, then there are deals struck to manufacture it, then it is manufactured, then distribution is worked out. This can take years of red tape.

With Covid, these vaccines are being manufactured "at risk" (unfortunate phrase). Essentially they are being manufactured even while the trials are underway - if the trials fail, the vaccine will be useless and a large amount of money wasted. If the trials are successful, the vaccine is immediately ready to be deployed which will save months, years even.

Similarly other things like distribution, syringe production etc. is happening now.

The US has chosen five vaccine candidates to manufacture "at risk". Similarly the Gates foundation are putting billions into manufacturing other candidates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I disagree with this. Vaccines should be sold to the public as a necessary form of protection against the virus but forcing people is just not the way to do it. The vast majority of Irish people are compliant with vaccines anyway so this herd immunity you are talking about would still hold even if a stupid minority decide not to take it.

I will take it if it is safe and has been proven to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Very small n, but the other values are looking rather ok. Especialy the 5 days to discharge for the severity of the cases.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.08.20125369v1

It's a mAB against specific parts of the immune system, so data on secondary infections is needed, apart from a larger trial and the general issues around mAB prouction and administration.

On the other hand, Tocilizumab looked nowhere near this well in the preliminary tests and even that was found to be usefull in certain cases.

Slowly but surely we'll get there.

In vitro results are similar enough to Remdesivir. Trouble is, it's a drug for felines. Would need safety trials in humans.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.07.138677v1.full.pdf+html

Edit: from a quick google search it looks to be a fair bit cheaper than Remdesivir, but still quite pricey.

Fabulous news, fingers crossed it is successful in trials now :)

https://twitter.com/jensspahn/status/1271852899010842634

1593053453.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-university-vaccine-to-provide-protection-for-about-a-year-says-drugmaker-12007789

"Commenting on the likely protection the Oxford vaccine will provide, Mr Soriot told broadcaster Bel RTL: "We think that it will protect for about a year.""

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

'UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment [dexamethasone] a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

hmmm wrote: »
    1593053453.jpg

Context?

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Context?

I think it's from here:
    http://www.sinovac.com/?optionid=754&auto_id=904

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

'UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment [dexamethasone] a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281
    That does look promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-university-vaccine-to-provide-protection-for-about-a-year-says-drugmaker-12007789

"Commenting on the likely protection the Oxford vaccine will provide, Mr Soriot told broadcaster Bel RTL: "We think that it will protect for about a year.""

Would the years immunity be enough to purge it from circulation? If the minimum of 60% of the population were vaccinated?

Will add this one here as well, as it's a starting point to end this plague of sarbecoviruses:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/15/science.abc7424/tab-pdf

And, as a side note, the SARS survivor still had those memory B cells in his blood after 17 years. There is hope still.

This is an important finding if it gets verified in peer review:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.15.20131607v1

It has implications for convalescent plasma theraphy. Basically, the plasma can't be coming from severe patients as it runs the risk of making things even worse for the recipient. Explicit testing for those antibodies would be needed to exclude those donors.

Curevac (a German company) to begin human trials. You might remember the orange idiot in the White House tried to buy them a few months ago, and I believe they also have received a hefty investment from the German government recently.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/curevac-gets-ok-to-start-testing-mrna-covid-19-vaccine-humans

EU in advanced talks with J&J to pre-purchase vaccines. I heard someone recently being interviewed (can't remember who but very credible) who said that the J&J vaccine was the one they considered the most promising in terms of long-term protection potential.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-vaccine/exclusive-eu-in-advanced-talks-with-johnson-johnson-on-covid-19-vaccine-deal-sources-idUSKBN23P1PU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

EU in advanced talks with J&J to pre-purchase vaccines. I heard someone recently being interviewed (can't remember who but very credible) who said that the J&J vaccine was the one they considered the most promising in terms of long-term protection potential.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-vaccine/exclusive-eu-in-advanced-talks-with-johnson-johnson-on-covid-19-vaccine-deal-sources-idUSKBN23P1PU

Yeah what I can see happening is if the Oxford vaccine works in preventing pneumonia it'll be deployed to get things back to normal as much as possible. Then at a later date, a new follow up vaccine will be developed to stop it spreading and wipe the ****ing virus off the face of the Earth.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah what I can see happening is if the Oxford vaccine works in preventing pneumonia it'll be deployed to get things back to normal as much as possible. Then at a later date, a new follow up vaccine will be developed to stop it spreading and wipe the ****ing virus off the face of the Earth.

Then hopefully with some further effort and $$$ a more universal vaccine can be developed that can target both SARSes, MERS and the potentially emerging ones in one go. There at least two published papers that explore the potential ways of how to achieve that. Some other HCoVs then might become collateral damage as well.

Also, the lovely people of Chine could just maybe stop eating bats, pangolins, palm civets and other critters known to carry potentially dangerous pandemic pathogens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So could be looking at if the Oxford vaccine mitigates against the serious affects of covid being given it, say it lasts for 1-2 years, getting everything back to mostly normal and then down the road being given the J&J vaccine as your booster per say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement