Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I think he is on holidays...sadly

Damnit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Johnson doesn't listen to anyone.

Whether it's extorting money out of people saving lives, forcing teachers back to school without social distancing and PPE or putting peoples lives at risk by undermining the lockdown by backing those who break it.

He simply doesn't care what me or you or the rest of the public has to say, because we don't matter to him and are merely an inconvenience he has to put up with in his quest to feather his own cap and those around him. The guy is wholly unfit for office and his arrogance knows no bounds.

It is no wonder that they come up with guidelines and white papers about transport, education and other sectors that don't make sense and are laughably bad. They have ideas in their head and no matter what anyone with actual experience in these sectors tells these people who know the theory of everything and the practice of nothing they just ignore it and think they know better.

The Tories are no longer the nasty party, they're the out of touch evil party who don't care about their citizens, only themselves and they will always put themselves before what's best for the public.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Biris has become an even bigger laughing stock now: zero credibility, zero honour, zero concern for the people of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

Quite amazing how one man can be above the general public and the government. He clearly holds the power in the UK and its quite frankly terrifying to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

With an 80 seat majority in the House of Commons sadly the Tories reign of terror will continue until late 2024 at the earliest. That to me is the most gravest concern moreso than Cummingsgate which underlines the right wing Tories are changing the letter of the law to suit their agenda to benefit them, their cronies and financial backers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fcuk sake Boris.
    Grow a pair.

Johnson just essentially seemed to admit he has a few dead cats lined up, in case they are needed when he said watch this space about further announcements about easing the lockdown.

Johnson is still saying the same statements over an over again rather than answering any questions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

BJ has such a majority he has huge sway - it’ll be interesting to see if any new revelations come out about Cummings, he’s being steadily weakened but again BJ can stonewall any criticism for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 36,233 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The level of ethical bankruptcy is hard to accept, what happened to the U.K.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The level of ethical bankruptcy is hard to accept, what happened to the U.K.?

The tories have a huge majority??

• Advertisement

Did my eyes and ears just deceive me or are they preventing follow up questions by either talking over them or muting them in this press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

devnull wrote: »
    Did my eyes and ears just deceive me or are they preventing follow up questions by either talking over them or muting them in this press conference?

Did you see the face of the guy from ITV as they cat away from him? Sheer disgust and exasperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Boris got asked too many important questions in one go by the BBC(?). He skipped over answering them

Did you see the face of the guy from ITV as they cat away from him? Sheer disgust and exasperation.

Wasn't just me it seems, even a Tory commentator noticed it:
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1264594917675937796

Unusual that none of Sky News, The Mirror, and The Guardian didn't get a question, Sky normally get one every day.

Edit: Beth Rigby said this on the Sky News Live feed:
    "This to me is critical. And would have been good to have a simple direct Q to PM on it"
    https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1264595458476965888

Wonder if she is hinting at putting forward such question but it wasn't selected....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's the UK lockdown over. Anyone can do anything now, you just have to say you're following instincts.

Say the Police stop a car with a family in it heading off somewhere - all they have to do is say they have developed symptoms and are going to isolate near where they have family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

nc6000 wrote: »
    That's the UK lockdown over. Anyone can do anything now, you just have to say you're following instincts.

Say the Police stop a car with a family in it heading off somewhere - all they have to do is say they have developed symptoms and are going to isolate near where they have family.

Yep I’m following my instincts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

devnull wrote: »
    Unusual that none of Sky News, The Mirror, and The Guardian didn't get a question, Sky normally get one every day.

Edit: Beth Rigby said this on the Sky News Live feed:

Wonder if she is hinting at putting forward such question but it wasn't selected....

Was it just the broadcast media were the only members of media that were allowed to ask BJ questions though?

Incredibly rude, arrogant and talking over people asking genuine serious questions. Another shocking display from BJ in this evenings presser. And yes he was muting follow up questions, your ears and eyes were not decieiving you devnull.

Those press conferences are a joke. He just repeatedly says the same thing without any follow up permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

Those press conferences are a joke. He just repeatedly says the same thing without any follow up permitted.

Well that's his weekly, or is it fortnightly, appearance done now. Back to his mansion to hide and he'll throw some MP in front of the cameras tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Johnson just treated everyone in the UK with utter contempt live on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah no question for sky though they didnt mention it afterwards so not sure why that was.

There will be more details and follow ups tomorrow and more pressure. That was utterly dismal from pm, though expectations weren't high anyway. I still think cummings might go, 50-50 at best for him.

crushproof wrote: »
    Well that's his weekly, or is it fortnightly, appearance done now. Back to his mansion to hide and he'll throw some MP in front of the cameras tomorrow

Liasion committee appearance scheduled for Wednesday so that could be interesting.

Liasion committee appearance scheduled for Wednesday so that could be interesting.

He’ll duck that one.

The C4 guy asked the best question in the context of the line Johnson was peddling - did Cummings actually avail of any childcare help when he went to durham? Of course Johnson just ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

crushproof wrote: »

In his own head he probably thought him coming to work on a Sunday was enough of a concession. No need for any sacking

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Anyone seen the Civil Service tweet? Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Looking forward to seeing Keir Starmer challenge Boris on the Cummings issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Was it just the broadcast media were the only members of media that were allowed to ask BJ questions though?

No there was a mix of broadcast (BBC/C4), newspaper (The Scotsman) and online (politico).

• Advertisement

He’ll duck that one.

He might, i suppose, but it would look pretty bad in the circumstances, given they've been months already trying to nail him down. And he even manipulated hard right tory mp Bernard Jenkin as committee chair in anticipation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement