Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

AllForIt wrote: »
    Just listening to a chap on UK radio giving his 2 cent on the latest saga. He said what Dom did was like a person with HIV in the 90's going into a brothel and infecting everyone. lol. Just when you though Christina Patterson was a dead cert for the best hyperbole award.

And one other thing, does anyone else not see the complete and utter disingenuousness of British journalists saying that now people feel free to break the rules because of Cummings when it was themselves in reporting the story to the public in the first place that could bring this about. If they really thought that this might happen, something that could potentially cost lives, they would have withheld the story until the pandemic was over. But no, it's all about revenge and sensational journalism for them.

Don't blame the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Acosta

Either gone or a convincing fudge. No idea what kind of fudge though. Find it hard to believe he'd front up to face the media down on it. Happy to be proven wrong though.

In the culture war never admit wrong doing or show any sort of weakness publicity. Johnson could keep him on, move him out of the public eye and still use him as an advisor. But he knows that will wind up the rabid Brexit supporting base and they will see if as rolling over for the media, not assigning blame for obvious wrong doing, because ultimately these people are morons.
    Maybe with several Tory MPs coming out against Cummings, it will force him to act in some way, but Johnson is such a arrogant, deceitful, odious man It wouldn't surprise me at all if they try to ride it out. The rabid Brexiters will love him even more for it

And one other thing, does anyone else not see the complete and utter disingenuousness of British journalists saying that now people feel free to break the rules because of Cummings when it was themselves in reporting the story to the public in the first place that could bring this about. If they really thought that this might happen, something that could potentially cost lives, they would have withheld the story until the pandemic was over. But no, it's all about revenge and sensational journalism for them.

Christ, you actually wrote that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You mean cover up the hypocrisy of the UK Govt? What else do you want covered up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm pretty astonished that Johnson is doing the press conference today.

It will be must watch TV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Either gone or a convincing fudge. No idea what kind of fudge though. Find it hard to believe he'd front up to face the media down on it. Happy to be proven wrong though.

From the chat on twitter it seems that Johnson may be going for the fake news defence tactic. Beth Rigby has said that she's heard that there won't be an inquiry and that Boris will continue to back his man. Perhaps there will be a dead cat to help with this as well, but it seems that he will certainly be sticking by his man.

Johnson is completely tone death to the public on this and at the end of the day doesn't care about anyone but himself and his lackeys. The fact that they were going for herd immunity, and then clapped for the NHS heroes who saved lives on one day and then asked them to get out their credit card if they contracted coronavirus from doing so and couldn't see what was wrong with it tells you all you need to know.

The guy is completely ill-suited for the office he holds, he has totally the wrong priorities and his Government literally stands for putting themselves first and the ordinary men, women and children of the country last. He simply does not care about them and if he has to pick what is right for those or saving Dom, he'l pick Dom every time because he's cold-hearted and selfish like that and has been successfully able to purge the Tory party of many who did have compassion for others.

This is what happens with a party like the Conservatives have no opposition for so long until recently. However toxic they become, they still win elections and all of the public suffer. Whilst those who voted Tory and allowed themselves to be hoodwinked by Johnson should take some of the blame, we should also not be kind to those in the Labour Party who effectively were enablers for the last few years who stood idly by whilst the building blocks to what we have now were laid by not providing a proper opposition.

What has happened in the UK in the last few years is an absloute disgrace and the history books will not be kind on this period in their history at all. It's complete madness and really is in danger of turning into a version of the US under Trump. For a country where I spent so many years and have family and friends in, it's absloutely heartbreaking to see what a train wreck it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They’ll announce an independent enquiry imo, and stonewall it after that. Delay the enquiry and report from same as long as possible.

Just listening to a chap on UK radio giving his 2 cent on the latest saga. He said what Dom did was like a person with HIV in the 90's going into a brothel and infecting everyone. lol. Just when you though Christina Patterson was a dead cert for the best hyperbole award.

Can you point us to where you said this about Ferguson ?

Scottish Government briefing today about the difference between lock-down and self-isolation

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1264557465066106880

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Acosta wrote: »
    In the culture war never admit wrong doing or show any sort of weakness publicity. Johnson could keep him on, move him out of the public eye and still use him as an advisor. But he knows that will wind up the rabid Brexit supporting base and they will see if as rolling over for the media, not assigning blame for obvious wrong doing, because ultimately these people are morons.
    Maybe with several Tory MPs coming out against Cummings, it will force him to act in some way, but Johnson is such a arrogant, deceitful, odious man It wouldn't surprise me at all if they try to ride it out. The rabid Brexiters will love him even more for it

Yeah, good points there. I honestly dont know how to read it. Does Cummings seem like the sort of fellow who would happily accept being shifted to the side, as a kind of fudge? Not sure. And is Johnson really that beholden to the rabid brexiteers? I'd have thought some of the uturns from tory mps today were on the back of public anger about this. I think he should tske heed of that but probably won't. Short of firing him, not sure johnson can get out of this without serious damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Okay, but do you think Cummings was wrong to leave with is symptomatic wife and drive 260 miles to a second home to self isolate? You were asked this before on your previous rant about something other than the topic, it would be nice to get your thoughts on what we are discussing instead of, how do they say attacking the messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Did cases not rise hugely in Durham in the following weeks after he travelled up from a Covid blackspot? It cannot definitively be ruled out that his actions did not cause some infections.

Let us tick off each one during the briefing

Capture.jpg
    EYyt2-J6-WAAEBss3.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Did cases not rise hugely in Durham in the following weeks after he travelled up from a Covid blackspot? It cannot definitively be ruled out that his actions did not cause some infections.

As much as I'm not a fan of Cummings and possibly the worst Tory party in living memory, I think trying to link him to that is a little bit sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Johnson will blather and dissemble for as long as he has to. But Cummings is damaged goods now within the Tory parliamentary party. His word will carry little weight from here on, even Bojo will probably be willing to pay a little less heed lest it look like he is consorting with a fool and a knave....erm :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I have family in the UK and one of them has posted on FB that "cummings did nothing wrong, its a witch hunt" etc

This same mans 91 year old grandmother has not had human contact in 2 months due to the rules, the cognitive dissonance astounds and disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d be very surprised if Cummings is sacked.

BJ depends on him a lot for their Brexit strategy for example

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cummings staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What? How did Dom driving 250 miles reduce the spread?

I went back and replayed that bit just to check I wasn't hearing things.

“in every respect he has acted responsibly, legally and with integrity and with the overwhelming aim of stopping the virus spreading and saving lives”.

He didn't need to leave the house to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Unbelievable .. BJ is finished after this :pac:
    Tory bastards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Boris starting dramatically giving the hope that he was about to do the right thing for once.

Ffs shocking leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭crushproof

Absolutely incredible, Cummings busy all afternoon writing this up in Downing Street and reminding Johnson of all the dirt he has him, so don't you dare sack me.

Can't wait for question time

Unbelievable .. BJ is finished after this :pac:
    Tory bastards

The truth is he isn't finished. Nowhere near it, he has a huge majority. Barring something extraordinary occuring he will be PM until 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hopefully someone has a bombshell to drop into johnsons lap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

crushproof wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible, Cummings busy all afternoon writing this up in Downing Street and reminding Johnson of all the dirt he has him, so don't you dare sack me.

Can't wait for question time

As much as I usually despise him Piers Morgan has been great on the UK covid response and is going to be fantastic to watch over the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

VinLieger wrote: »
    As much as I usually despise him Piers Morgan has been great on the UK covid response and is going to be fantastic to watch over the next week

I think he is on holidays...sadly

It will be interesting to see the headlines from this press conference.

Will it be the move (premature IMO) to step 2, or will it be Dominic Cummings?

The truth is the move to step 2 is far more important, yet it won't be the headline, and that's why I think Cummings should go.

I guess it was never going to be bad news for Cummings once it was announced that Johnson was doing the briefing. If he'd been sacked or moved it would have come via a statement

Hopefully someone has a bombshell to drop into johnsons lap now.

I wonder if the Guardian or Mirror have been allocated questions today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Graph overload.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement