Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Offseason 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

On defence they have a lot of pieces in place too and Bowles is a really good DC. It’s an intriguing move for Brady and I can see how it was attractive for him. Doesn’t seem on the face of it that the Pats made too much effort to keep him. While I’m not a pats fans I have huge admiration for TB and I honestly hope the move works out for him

+1 Huge admiration for Brady. Hope the move works out for him, still think he has some quality football left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It seems a number of Colts fans think Brisset was too afraid to throw the ball unless receivers were wide open and that although his numbers were okish he was holding them back. Rivers is more willing to go vertical and should really benefit from the improved o-line.

Yeah, it's hard to get a true picture with just the numbers, Case Keenum put up respectable numbers during his time with Denver, but when you watched him play it was a different story. Kyle Orton was another one similar that springs to mind.

I didn't really see enough of Brissett myself, but he looked serviceable, and he was likely to improve a bit, he had still only started, maybe 30 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Career to date: 4 attempts, 2 completions, 14 yards, 1 INT (terrible pick 6 on a wide open receiver)

Either they get lucky (or trade to move up) in the draft, or sign a veteran to compete with Stidham.
    Things are about to change massively in NE. Considering the loss of Brady, the lack of top talent on the roster, and a far more challenging schedule this year; AFC is wide open (I see 10 wins clinching the division).

A couple of years ago the Patriots had 3 current NFL starters on their roster, with Brady, Garoppolo and Brissett!

A good year to fish for a (so called) bridge QB though, and the Matt Cassell season is still strong in the memory.

....now there's a thing....Brissett back to the Pats? Is that a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

D9Male wrote: »
    Is Stidham any good? Surely the Patriots will have to go for Winston, Newton or Dalton?

I know only preseason, but was excellent vs the Giants.

Not something you can your hat on, but he didn't look lost anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A couple of years ago the Patriots had 3 current NFL starters on their roster, with Brady, Garoppolo and Brissett!

A good year to fish for a (so called) bridge QB though, and the Matt Cassell season is still strong in the memory.

I doubt they'd take Brissett back unless they ended up very stuck.

From how it ended they clearly didn't like what they were seeing from him - it was obvious that either Brady or Garoppolo were leaving (Jimmy traded a month later) and despite having him on a very cheap rookie deal for a few more years they traded him away for peanuts (a gamble on a young inconsistent WR).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Cassell went 11:5, the year after the Pats went 18:1. Got a high 2nd rounder for him.
    Maybe, but I can't see it. Don't think he was ever marked as a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Denver just acquired jurrell Casey for a 7th round pick ,probaly gonna replace Derek Wolfe on the D line.Happy enough with the moves Elway has made so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

The Lions look to be raiding the Patriots defense, looks like both Shelton and Harmon are headed that way today

Denver just acquired jurrell Casey for a 7th round pick ,probaly gonna replace Derek Wolfe on the D line.Happy enough with the moves Elway has made so far.

Been a while since I watched Casey, but if he's performing any where near the standard he was 2 years ago thats a good bit of business by the Broncos.
    Time for Jeffery Simmons to step up in Tennessee

That seems like great value. Titans fans, what's happened here? Offloading contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

phatkev wrote: »
    The Lions look to be raiding the Patriots defense, looks like both Shelton and Harmon are headed that way today

Already signed Collins as well.

Happy with today's business, Shelton was cheap enough for a big space eater and Harmon's a good get for a late pick.

Oat23 wrote: »
    We'll be signing a QB to at the very least compete with Mitch. If I had to pick which one I'd want from those left it would probably be Cam (if he passes a physical obviously). F*ck it. Why not? The Panthers have no leverage after signing Bridgewater and they seem to have p*ssed him off with the wording of their press release. Bridges have been burned. Offer a 6th and take him for a season to see what happens.

Could also just play chicken and hope nobody else makes an offer so they have to release him.

Foles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foles to the Bears!

Already signed Collins as well.

Happy with today's business, Shelton was cheap enough for a big space eater and Harmon's a good get for a late pick.

Is Damon Harrison still with the Lions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Foles.

I wish we could have 2 GMs. Let Ryan Pace do defensive stuff and get someone who isn't a moron to do the offense.

A reporter is saying we weren't interested in Cam because of concerns over his health, so instead we trade a valuable 4th rounder for another guy who also spent last season on IR. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

phatkev wrote: »
    Is Damon Harrison still with the Lions?

No, he's been released. Really fell off last year unfortunately.

I wish we could have 2 GMs. Let Ryan Pace do defensive stuff and get someone who isn't a moron to do the offense.

A reporter is saying we weren't interested in Cam because of concerns over his health, so instead we trade a valuable 4th rounder for another guy who also spent last season on IR. Genius.

Cam is a problem as his injuries seem to be long term ongoing stuff, whereas Foles is a random contact injury. Problem with not being able to have your own doctors review.

I would blame this signing on Nagy more than anything. He worked with Foles in the past and there's no way his input was totally ignored with this move

• Eric DeCosta rules DeRoost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Cam is a problem as his injuries seem to be long term ongoing stuff, whereas Foles is a random contact injury. Problem with not being able to have your own doctors review.

I would blame this signing on Nagy more than anything. He worked with Foles in the past and there's no way his input was totally ignored with this move

Why would Nagy's first choice QB be a statue when we have a poor offensive line? It severely hinders his play calling. He hired Bill Lazor as his OC and then wants Foles? That doesn't make sense.

The only positive I see in this is when Foles is under pressure immediately after receiving the snap he can probably think faster than Mitch and get rid of the ball before being sacked. That's a fairly sh*t positive.

Why would Nagy's first choice QB be a statue when we have a poor offensive line? It severely hinders his play calling. He hired Bill Lazor as his OC and then wants Foles? That doesn't make sense.

The only positive I see in this is when Foles is under pressure immediately after receiving the snap he can probably think faster than Mitch and get rid of the ball before being sacked. That's a fairly sh*t positive.

I find Nagy approving the trade much more likely than than him telling Pace that based on his experience of coaching Foles that in no way does he want him on his team and Pace deciding to trade for him anyway.

No matter how little sense it makes based on the OL and new OC, do you really think the latter happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Eric DeCosta rules DeRoost.

Yes he does :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

If Foles stays healthy I actually think hes capable of being a fairly competent QB. Nothing consistently top 10QB/special, but definitely better than Mitch anyway. But this is way too high a price:
    The Bears will inherit the final three-years of Nick Foles' deal, which pays a base value of $50M.
    [...]
    still has $21 million guaranteed left on his contract

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/detailing-how-bears-got-nick-foles-contract-restructured

Between Foles and Robert Quinn this week, on top of Khalil Mack there already, a huge chunk of their cap space is gone.

I'd be pretty underwhelmed if I was a Bears fan seeing Foles come in on that contract, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Chris Harris is going to the Chargers.

Not the Saints...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/18/saints-free-agency-report-chris-harris-jr-broncos-news/

I'm obviously more miffed that we're losing him. But to the Chargers, that's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd be pretty underwhelmed if I was a Bears fan seeing Foles come in on that contract, I have to say.

I'm aghast as to how the Bears were made to pay a fourth round pick for that eventual contract.

If Foles is a bust, he pockets 21m.
    If he's great, he walks in the off-season.

At the very least he should have been made sign a cut price contract like Tannehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Surely Jax should have sent picks to Chicago with Foles rather than the other way around, or at the very least paid some of the base salary? They obviously wanted him gone to clean up their cap. Might work out ok for Chicago if he is good but I think they could have gotten a better deal, nobody else was trading for him

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Eric DeCosta rules DeRoost.

Playing a blinder so far. Very excited to see who we draft and how the Judon situation plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Surely Jax should have sent picks to Chicago with Foles rather than the other way around, or at the very least paid some of the base salary? They obviously wanted him gone to clean up their cap. Might work out ok for Chicago if he is good but I think they could have gotten a better deal, nobody else was trading for him

You might have noticed a pattern with the Bears GM competing against imaginary opponents for the services of dodgy quarterbacks. It's kind of his thing actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You might have noticed a pattern with the Bears GM competing against imaginary opponents for the services of dodgy quarterbacks. It's kind of his thing actually.

I don’t actually think he is the worst fit in Chicago, Foles is streaky but he’s a good option if Trubisky continues to disappoint. If the fourth rounder was going the other way I’d be fine with it.

Advertisement