Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Offseason 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well wherever he goes, I hope it is not a Unitas-like end to his career. (providing there is a season at all)

His legacy etc. can never be tarnished, no matter what happens, but I wouldn't like to see a 40 y/o QB gut it out for another year on a losing team taking a pounding behind a bad line.

Just goes to show, nobody is indispensable, and Brady is only dispensable due to him playing for so long, he could have retired a Patriot after winning the SB a couple of years ago, but felt he could play on at a high level and offer something, so credit for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I always felt he would go back to the Patriots. The bucs have some weapons but the chargers are a better overall team and would give him a more realistic chance at a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Panthers give Cam permission to seek a trade. What a season for QB movement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

Oat23 wrote: »
    Desperation signing from Pace. We have 10TEs under contract currently and they are all either injury prone or useless/over the hill.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1239698652412760064

Thats great news, as a Packers fan. Graham was so underwhelming considering his big salary. No idea what the Bears are seeing in him.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Panthers give Cam permission to seek a trade. What a season for QB movement!

Yeah, imagine if someone said Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater and Ryan Tannehill would all be available in a season.....crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Looks like Rivers will be heading off to Indianapolis & Drew Brees is staying put in New Orleans for another 2 years. Probably will retire there you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Panthers to sign Bridgewater apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cam Newton is not a FA though as far as I know? Does this not put the Panthers over the barrel a bit. They will likely get nothing for Newton if the market is not strong.

Maybe they knew the die was cast regardless and just wanted to get their man early?

Pity for Cam and that injury, he really looked a franchise QB back in his SB year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Cam Newton is not a FA though as far as I know? Does this not put the Panthers over the barrel a bit. They will likely get nothing for Newton if the market is not strong.

Maybe they knew the die was cast regardless and just wanted to get their man early?

Pity for Cam and that injury, he really looked a franchise QB back in his SB year.

How are they over a barrel? He only has $2m in guarantees left per OTC so easily traded, if there is no market they can just release him to get his salary off the books. They have obviously taken the decision to move on one way or another. I can’t imagine any team giving up much for him given the number of QB’s that are available. Most teams are sorted at QB (for the short term at least) bar Tampa and the Chargers, and maybe the Bears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They are allowing Cam to look for a trade. He doesn't really have them over a barrel, as it looks like they are in full rebuild and decided to do it minus Cam.

They'll see if they can get something for him or else can release him with only small dead cap.

Bridgewater contract could be a bridge for someone they take on in the draft this year or more likely next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Bears sign Robert Quinn to a big deal and release Leonard Floyd. I'm surprised Floyd didn't garner any trade interest. He turns 28 in September and was about to play on his fifth year option.

Ah I thought his salary was guaranteed this year. The salary cap stuff escapes me sometimes.

I doubt they'll get anything for him so, if his release carries no (little) dead money, I assume teams will just wait....that's if anyone will take flyer.

Not a fan of Cowherd either but multiple sources including Schefter reporting it too now. We’ll see tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not a fan of Cowherd either but multiple sources including Schefter reporting it too now. We’ll see tomorrow

A blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Phillip Rivers to the Colts, 1 year deal, $25 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Schefter reporting it, I believe was a fake account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Brady to bucs... Called it

• Advertisement

Running out of chairs very quickly, Dalton, Newton, Foles, Winston all unwanted by their teams. Am I missing anybody?

Chargers might be happy to roll with Tyrod to start the season and whoever they draft in the first round taking over at some point.

Pats probably have their choice of the others and they’ll get any of them cheap if they are not sure about Stidham

Did the Bears get someone or are they looking at one of them too? They’re surely not sticking with Trubisky again, wasting more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Did the Bears get someone or are they looking at one of them too? They’re surely not sticking with Trubisky again, wasting more years.

We'll be signing a QB to at the very least compete with Mitch. If I had to pick which one I'd want from those left it would probably be Cam (if he passes a physical obviously). F*ck it. Why not? The Panthers have no leverage after signing Bridgewater and they seem to have p*ssed him off with the wording of their press release. Bridges have been burned. Offer a 6th and take him for a season to see what happens.

Could also just play chicken and hope nobody else makes an offer so they have to release him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Is Stidham any good? Surely the Patriots will have to go for Winston, Newton or Dalton?

Interesting article on the Ringer about Tom Brady's move to Tampa Bay and how it makes more sense than at first glance (I don't see it myself)

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/3/18/21184745/tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-details-choice

...but one interesting takeaway....Winston threw more Interceptions this year than Brady had in the previous 4 seasons!

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Looks like Rivers will be heading off to Indianapolis & Drew Brees is staying put in New Orleans for another 2 years. Probably will retire there you'd imagine.

Good call on Rivers,

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28917715/philip-rivers-join-colts-1-year-deal-source-says

...this one baffles me more than the Brady to Tampa to be honest. Rivers looked a shadow of himself this past year, was he that much better (if at all) than Brissett?

506081.JPG
    (this was an after edit...I know Passer Rating might not be the best measure, but interesting none the less...if he can cut out Ints then yes, he is better!)

Is Brissett now on his way out after getting an extension and QB 1.5 money last year (quick trip to OTC)

Finally, I thought Rivers had the famous no-trade clause in his contract in SD as he was loathe to leave his family, very surprised he'd take off to an east coast team.

When and if the new season kicks off, it might be the craziest one for QBs making their debuts for new teams that I can remember.

Interesting article on the Ringer about Tom Brady's move to Tampa Bay and how it makes more sense than at first glance (I don't see it myself)

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/3/18/21184745/tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-details-choice

...but one interesting takeaway....Winston threw more Interceptions this year than Brady had in the previous 4 seasons!

I don’t know if he can make them contenders but they are certainly very talented at the skill positions and I was surprised to read that their line was 10th In pass blocking and 15th in run blocking last year. Winstons erratic play killed them game after game, with better QB play who knows what their ceiling is.

On defence they have a lot of pieces in place too and Bowles is a really good DC. It’s an intriguing move for Brady and I can see how it was attractive for him. Doesn’t seem on the face of it that the Pats made too much effort to keep him. While I’m not a pats fans I have huge admiration for TB and I honestly hope the move works out for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Good call on Rivers,

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28917715/philip-rivers-join-colts-1-year-deal-source-says

...this one baffles me more than the Brady to Tampa to be honest. Rivers looked a shadow of himself this past year, was he that much better (if at all) than Brissett?

506081.JPG
    (this was an after edit...I know Passer Rating might not be the best measure, but interesting none the less...if he can cut out Ints then yes, he is better!)

Is Brissett now on his way out after getting an extension and QB 1.5 money last year (quick trip to OTC)

Finally, I thought Rivers had the famous no-trade clause in his contract in SD as he was loathe to leave his family, very surprised he'd take off to an east coast team.

When and if the new season kicks off, it might be the craziest one for QBs making their debuts for new teams that I can remember.

I think the Colts wanted him as he has a lot of familiarity with Frank Reick and OC Nick Sirianni from their days with the Chargers. But your right, his play last year was not much better that Brissetts. I think the Colts offense will suit Rivers, good oline to protect him, quick passing offense. But I wouldn't say the Colts will have a much better QB. It's hard to know what the Colts' strategy is with regards to the long term view of the position, seen as they just traded their 13th overall pick to the 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Good call on Rivers,

506081.JPG

It seems a number of Colts fans think Brisset was too afraid to throw the ball unless receivers were wide open and that although his numbers were okish he was holding them back. Rivers is more willing to go vertical and should really benefit from the improved o-line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

D9Male wrote: »
    Is Stidham any good? Surely the Patriots will have to go for Winston, Newton or Dalton?
    Career to date: 4 attempts, 2 completions, 14 yards, 1 INT (terrible pick 6 on a wide open receiver)

Either they get lucky (or trade to move up) in the draft, or sign a veteran to compete with Stidham.
    Things are about to change massively in NE. Considering the loss of Brady, the lack of top talent on the roster, and a far more challenging schedule this year; AFC is wide open (I see 10 wins clinching the division).

Advertisement