Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Offseason 2020

Options
  • 15-03-2020 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently 49ers 'out' on making a run at Brady in FA. In my opinion they were never 'in' on him and it was all coming from Brady's camp.

With the Titans out too, there is a dwindling number of teams looking like they'll be interested, so likely back to NE for Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Draft is being pushed to atleast May and wont be held in Vegas
    Hotels being given heads up it's not happening.

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1239213019172872192?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yes. 2021 is when it will move to 48% share, 48.5% if they go to 17 games. Saw estimates of up to 240m.

It helps not only with restructuring, teams can just back load contracts for new players to sign. Would have been hard to risk either not knowing what the CBA was going to end up as.

Thanks, 30% rule prevented the backloaded contracts up to now in any case, I just wasn’t sure what year the new deal kicked in.

Will be odd to see all this money swilling around with everything else that is going on. Surprised they didn’t postpone the start of the league year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm enjoying the tag process going right up to the wire.

Latest being Dak tagged meaning Cooper hits FA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The Patriots have franchise tagged Joe Thuney which means they wouldn't have a whole lot of money around to keep Brady.

I suspect however that they may well trade Thuney and get a draft pick back.

15 Franchise Tags used:
    Yannick Ngakoue - Jacksonville Jaguars
    Chris Jones - Kansas City Chiefs
    Leonard Williams - New York Giants
    AJ Green - Cincinnati Bengals
    Bud Dupree - Pittsburgh Steelers
    Matthew Judon - Baltimore Ravens
    Shaq Barrett - Tamba Bay Buccaneers
    Brandon Scherff - Washington Redskins
    Justin Simmons - Denver Broncos
    Hunter Henry - LA Chargers
    Derrick Henry - Tennessee Titans
    Dak Prescott - Dallas Cowboys
    Joe Thuney - New England Patriots
    Anthony Harris - Minnesota Vikings

Free agency has now begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Reports now saying the draft will go ahead on time and as scheduled.
    No public events will take place and I assume that means no geering crowds either.

Still hundreds of nfl and team staff plus media. Seems a bit dim witted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Austin Hooper to the Browns per himself, unless someone comes in late. A lot of high profile skill position players in Cleveland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Interesting. Wonder what that means for Njoku?

Or is it a case of seeing Mayfield's regression without his TE last year and giving him an insurance blanket.

Knex. wrote: »
    Interesting. Wonder what that means for Njoku?

Or is it a case of seeing Mayfield's regression without his TE last year and giving him an insurance blanket.

Stefanski used 2 or more Tight-ends than other team last season with Minnesota, so I expect Njoku to stay. Since Njoku is on his rookie deal, it doesn't make much sense to trade him unless they obviously don't rate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Never thought I'd see Flowers make decent bank in the NFL again, I have to say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bill O'Brien! Texans need a GM ASAP.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1239603411974262784

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1239604333836206082

Awful deal for the Texans.

Peter King called it this morning in his column.
    It might be just pre-draft chatter, but two teams over the weekend told me to watch Houston and DeAndre Hopkins, who has three years and a reasonable $40 million left on his contract, and who’d cause only a $3-million cap hit to the Texans if they traded him. Houston is currently in draft hell, without a top-50 pick in 2020 and 2021, and coach Bill O’Brien has huge needs to fill on his offensive line, in the secondary and overall youth on the front seven; J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus will play this year at 31 and 30.

All chat relating to Free Agency and offseason here...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's got to be more to the Hopkins trade. On paper this is an awful deal for the Texans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Cardinals fleeced them

What always shocks me by these one sided trades is how no other team offered slightly more. Do these GMs not even try to shop the player around to see if they can get a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Its crazy aswell as the Carlos Hyde/Duke Johnson combo was quite solid.

Texans are taking on all of David Johnson's salary too.

Mad stuff.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not sure I like this to be honest.

Really depends on the fine print. I don't think anyone in the squad could fill his shoes but with the DL so loaded it would still be one of the best in the league without him.

If they keep him they should do all they can to ship off Thomas to create some cap space, even for a minimal return.

As long as this doesn't mean moving on from Ford or Buckner I guess its ok. The problem is that for this contract to be worthwhile he needs to play to 2019 levels consistently. It's not possible for him to out perform that contract really.

Agree though, we need to see the breakdown per year and the guarentess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ramon Foster retiring after 11 seasons with the Steelers

Looks like Stefon Diggs could be moving as well.

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/1239624004345958400

VillaMad wrote: »

Basically the same value as Hopkins... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’m stunned at that Hopkins trade, absolutely stunned. That’s a game changer for the Cardinals who were trying to offload Johnson anyway. Well done Cardinals.

Cannot see any upside for the Texans on the face of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

About an hour ago the Bears were working on a deal to sign Bridgewater and now the reports are saying it's not happening and we're focused on Andy Dalton.

And I'm ready to be taken out behind the shed and shot. What's the point anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oat23 wrote: »
    About an hour ago the Bears were working on a deal to sign Bridgewater and now the reports are saying it's not happening and we're focused on Andy Dalton.

And I'm ready to be taken out behind the shed and shot. What's the point anymore.

I never expected Bridgewater. A player of his level is not signing to 'compete' with Trubisky. If Trubisky is benched the entire front office is getting the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Last season the Ravens traded their backup kicker who they were never going to put on the roster to the Vikings for a 5th rounder.

Gave that 5th rounder to the Jags for Calais Campbell.

I love this move. Our most obvious position of need and he will be a super addition even if he will be 34 in Week 1. 2 years 27 million is a fair contract

Hayden Hurst was drafted before Lamar Jackson, sometimes forgotten. Hurst and a 4th to the Falcons for a 2nd and a 5th. I also like this move

Hurst was injured his first year and never quite showed what a first round pick should but he certainly is not a bust. Just he has been outperformed by the 3rd rounder in the same draft Mark Andrews. There is also Nick Boyle who is more of a blocking type.

Two good moves, Eric DeCosta doing his stuff

Advertisement