Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus Clare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

When out walking the dog you have to watch out for people on bikes who think the pavement is for them, especially so in order to avoid traffic lights. Thoughtless and dangerous.

And this is a message to "the ladies" who walk down the middle of the pavement, avoiding no one while we all scatter, while giving out a distinct vibe of "I get my exercise on the golf course usually and am pissed as hell at having to be out among you peasants". In the end I will let the dog go for you, so help me!

I live by a green area and late at night, early hours of the morning, used to be for a few regulars and really big dogs off the lead. Last night, 1.30 am, a really old man was walking uncertainly along with two very small dogs on leads. Sad to see. Lots of those who are "cocooning" must be stuck for some way/someone to exercise their dogs.

http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/parents-urged-talk-children-congregating-shannon-night/

If their parents gave a damn and/or had any control over these children, they wouldn't be congregating in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Balagan1 wrote: »
    http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/parents-urged-talk-children-congregating-shannon-night/

If their parents gave a damn and/or had any control over these children, they wouldn't be congregating in the first place.

Start handing out fines to the parents and they will start giving a dam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

My folks live in kilkee i love the place, can't wait to get back when this is over,
    Walk around the bay, up to Burns cove for a swim with the kids, followed by a creamy pint in the central and a few games of pool.
    Paradise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

My folks live in kilkee i love the place, can't wait to get back when this is over,
    Walk around the bay, up to Burns cove for a swim with the kids, followed by a creamy pint in the central and a few games of pool.
    Paradise :)

I grew up there and haven't been back in a while, definitely will be visiting during the summer, if we are allowed out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I grew up there and haven't been back in a while, definitely will be visiting during the summer, if we are allowed out.

hopefully we are at that stage, i'd fear for alot of the businesses there if they don't reopen soon, as you obviously know there's only money there in the summer

Ennis Mayor Warns Of Worsening Live Register Figures
    http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/ennis-mayor-warns-worsening-live-register-figures/

Stating the bleeding obvious! You only "warn" people when there is a reasonable chance some action can be taken to avoid or lessen whatever is coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So only 94 people outside Ennis, in the entire county Clare, applied for unemployment benefit in the last month? Jaysus, in that case I've aided over 10% of those applications!

Does anyone actually try to comprehend these figures before they're published?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

JCX BXC wrote: »
    So only 94 people outside Ennis, in the entire county Clare, applied for unemployment benefit in the last month? Jaysus, in that case I've aided over 10% of those applications!

Does anyone actually try to comprehend these figures before they're published?

Either the statistic is wrong, or there are enormous numbers of self-employed people with multiple businesses or are farmers or most of the people working as employees were already on the dole.

Either the statistic is wrong, or there are enormous numbers of self-employed people with multiple businesses or are farmers or most of the people working as employees were already on the dole.

The figure is wrong, I could tell you over 100 people outside of Ennis who've gotten this payment, and they're only the ones I know.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The new enforcement laws have been signed into law, but haven't been activated by the government, so no they don't have the powers to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

The new enforcement laws have been signed into law, but haven't been activated by the government, so no they don't have the powers to enforce it.

They do now! Minister has signed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

And please God they’ll stay away. All strangers I saw in town today except for one local. Holiday home across from me has been occupied since schools closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Like the UK they decided to refuse to serve non locals in their shops and businesses that are open, in areas like Cornwall and those usual Sunny escapes people go to. I think much less people will travel this weekend but I still think mindless morons will travel with the "what do you mean, me? Surely the laws are for other people, not me walking on Georges head?"(after travelling 100kms to get there)

Thankfully the 2kms around me is a good walkeable R roads in a loop which is proving very popular with people recently. Looking out my (new office) window from home I would say there isn't 5 minutes that goes by without somebody walking by. Still cyclists though and I don't see them passing 50 times on the same loop which means they're easily going over the 2kms unless they're only doing 2kms which is pretty unlikely.

Berty wrote: »
    Still cyclists though and I don't see them passing 50 times on the same loop which means they're easily going over the 2kms unless they're only doing 2kms which is pretty unlikely.

Well realistically there's a big difference between a mass exodus of limerick people arriving into their mobile and holiday home, and a fella who cycles 3km from their house instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well realistically there's a big difference between a mass exodus of limerick people arriving into their mobile and holiday home, and a fella who cycles 3km from their house instead of 2.

Very true but it's more on the mindset of people is what I'm getting at and how the proportion the choice of activity.

If the government tells you don't go outside of 2kms for exercise and/or tells you not to travel to the beach or your holiday home and you go and do it anyway it's the mentality that either the rules don't apply to you or they've come up with an argument in their own head about how they're not affecting anybody because of whatever activity they've decided to do.

Deagol wrote: »
    They do now! Minister has signed it.

Not published in Iris Oifiguil ye, probably on Thursday.

Berty wrote: »
    Very true but it's more on the mindset of people is what I'm getting at and how the proportion the choice of activity.

If the government tells you don't go outside of 2kms for exercise and/or tells you not to travel to the beach or your holiday home and you go and do it anyway it's the mentality that either the rules don't apply to you or they've come up with an argument in their own head about how they're not affecting anybody because of whatever activity they've decided to do.

I've hardly moved outside my house except to go to our local shop. But I do intend to go for a cycle in a loop that will take me up to 10kms from our house. I won't be stopping, talking to, interacting with or otherwise doing anything that could possibly spread a disease I almost certainly don't have nor anything that could result in me getting it.

Cycling round within 2kms of my house would be nigh on impossible out in the countryside but besides that I'm using my intelligence to remain within the spirit of the request. Driving to a holiday home and going around in the local community shopping etc is certainly a completely different thing.

I've hardly moved outside my house except to go to our local shop. But I do intend to go for a cycle in a loop that will take me up to 10kms from our house. I won't be stopping, talking to, interacting with or otherwise doing anything that could possibly spread a disease I almost certainly don't have nor anything that could result in me getting it.

Cycling round within 2kms of my house would be nigh on impossible out in the countryside but besides that I'm using my intelligence to remain within the spirit of the request. Driving to a holiday home and going around in the local community shopping etc is certainly a completely different thing.

Typical. The rules are for everybody else. That is what is causing the whole problem.

• Advertisement

Maybe you're overestimating it a wee bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

sweet jesus

... but I'm just going to my mobile home this weekend, we'll be staying in except for a walk on the Dunlikey morning and evening and getting the kids a burn on the beach. Will be using "my intelligence to remain within the spirit of the request" ....

mitresize5 wrote: »
    sweet jesus

... but I'm just going to my mobile home this weekend, we'll be staying in except for a walk on the Dunlikey morning and evening and getting the kids a burn on the beach. Will be using "my intelligence to remain within the spirit of the request" ....

That's an entirely different scenario and if you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

There is clearly a risk of people from one area interacting with people from another.

Have you got a sensible rebuttal of my point or just inane nonsense comparisons?

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Maybe you're overestimating it a wee bit?

Nearest large supermarket to us is 16km's away - we obviously have to go there once a week to get essentials that our local small shop doesn't stock. There I would be interacting with hundreds of other people, in the queue's outside, touching goods others may have picked up and browsed earlier, touching trolleys, door handles at car park etc etc at the checkout etc.

This is acceptable according to the rules.

Yet going out on my own cycling in my locality isn't? If you cannot understand the point of which one of those two scenarios is by far the most likely to spread a disease then it definitely isn't my intelligence that you should be questioning.

Typical. The rules are for everybody else. That is what is causing the whole problem.

Have you a rebuttal to my point or just enjoying sitting up on that high horse?

Here's your chance to save the world - I will revisit my plan to go out for a cycle if you can explain how my actions could possibly in any scenario spread this disease. I'm feeling pretty confident you won't be able to - and using the parent / child 'because it's against the rules' doesn't count.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If anyone is thinking of travelling they should know that the guards are out in force today and are turning people around if they aren't travelling for a valid reason

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here's your chance to save the world - I will revisit my plan to go out for a cycle if you can explain how my actions could possibly in any scenario spread this disease. I'm feeling pretty confident you won't be able to - and using the parent / child 'because it's against the rules' doesn't count.

There is one other reason I can think of ...... by doing so you are encouraging others, who might well not be as careful as you, or who wish to do other things while out, into breaking the 2Km limit.
    That is surely against even the "the spirit of the request" .... a 'request' which is now enforceable by the Gardai.

I think you should consider doing a double shorter cycle to keep within the limits laid down.

Well, yes it does count. Where do we draw the line? How can someone tell between you, someone who supposedly doesn't mix with anyone, and the fella who's off to cycle to a friends/relatives, going to a beach miles away etc. You cannot, and the longer people like you flout the restrictions and give the finger to healthcare workers the longer we're all going to be stuck in this rut.

So a bit of cop on and off the high horse for you, you're not above the law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There is a GREAT forum on boards covering all this COVID, this forum is for Clare, please keep this in mind in your posts,

• Advertisement

Garda checkpoint in force for the last few hours just outside Kilrush on the Kilkee road just at the doonbeg turnoff. Apparently much larger numbers heading in one direction than the other, you don't have to guess which!

Advertisement