Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus Clare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Irish Examiner

Trainer Brian McMahon has been banned from attended any race track in Ireland for three months after breaching quarantine restrictions when returning from the UK.

McMahon also falsely completed the Health Screening Questionnaire, stating he hadn't left the country in the previous 14 days. and received a €1,000 fine along with the ban.

The Clare man attended Goffs Sales at Yorton Farm in the UK on December 17 and attended the meet at Thurles three days later. He was supposed to restrict his movements upon his return for the five days specified at that time under the Government's Covid-19 protocols.

He also had to provide a negative Covid test before attending a meet, something he did not do.

"In his evidence, Mr McMahon explained he had attended the sales at Yorton Farm on behalf of a neighbour with the agreement that his neighbour would instead attend the races at Thurles on Mr McMahon’s behalf," an Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board statement read.

"However, the day prior to the races at Thurles, Mr McMahon was informed by his neighbour that due to unforeseen circumstances he would be unable to attend the races, at which point Mr McMahon contacted three other individuals who held a stable pass for him."

The statement added he "accepted that this was reckless and completely the wrong thing to do".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

frank8211 wrote: »
    Irish Examiner

Trainer Brian McMahon has been banned from attended any race track in Ireland for three months after breaching quarantine restrictions when returning from the UK.

McMahon also falsely completed the Health Screening Questionnaire, stating he hadn't left the country in the previous 14 days. and received a €1,000 fine along with the ban.

The Clare man attended Goffs Sales at Yorton Farm in the UK on December 17 and attended the meet at Thurles three days later. He was supposed to restrict his movements upon his return for the five days specified at that time under the Government's Covid-19 protocols.

He also had to provide a negative Covid test before attending a meet, something he did not do.

"In his evidence, Mr McMahon explained he had attended the sales at Yorton Farm on behalf of a neighbour with the agreement that his neighbour would instead attend the races at Thurles on Mr McMahon’s behalf," an Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board statement read.

"However, the day prior to the races at Thurles, Mr McMahon was informed by his neighbour that due to unforeseen circumstances he would be unable to attend the races, at which point Mr McMahon contacted three other individuals who held a stable pass for him."

The statement added he "accepted that this was reckless and completely the wrong thing to do".

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/racing/arid-40203698.html

Absolute disgrace in my opinion and 1 of the reasons we're in the state we are in, people doing their own selfish things for their own reasons, the fact that his sister is a doctor makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

frank8211 wrote: »
    Irish Examiner

God, that was a complicated excuse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

saabsaab wrote: »

Not really, he went to the UK, went to a race meeting, lied on a form and he didn't do a test as he was supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

saabsaab wrote: »

UPdJ3sI3C3GR.gif

• Advertisement

Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

Clareman wrote: »
    Not really, he went to the UK, went to a race meeting, lied on a form and he didn't do a test as he was supposed to do.

It looks terrible. However in reality, not much difference to almost everyone who flew into Ireland in the last month. Almost none of them following restrictions and no enforcement. Essentially almost all of those travellers lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

jackboy wrote: »
    It looks terrible. However in reality, not much difference to almost everyone who flew into Ireland in the last month. Almost none of them following restrictions and no enforcement. Essentially almost all of those travellers lied.

Any evidence of this or just hyperbole?

Deagol wrote: »

Ah Jaysus. you can’t think a majority that flew into Ireland for the Christmas period self isolated for the required period of time before visiting anyone.

Ah Jaysus. you can’t think a majority that flew into Ireland for the Christmas period self isolated for the required period of time before visiting anyone.

So no evidence to support then. That's fine, just establishing the level of weight to give your posts.

• Advertisement

So no evidence to support then. That's fine, just establishing the level of weight to give your posts.

The spike in infections is occurring due to mass breaking of restrictions over Christmas. Of the small handful I know that flew in, none of them isolated. One spike in Clare was caused by a stag party over Christmas. A stag party during a once in a hundred years pandemic.

At this stage, requesting evidence of restriction breaking is a bit bizarre.

The spike in infections is occurring due to mass breaking of restrictions over Christmas. Of the small handful I know that flew in, none of them isolated. One spike in Clare was caused by a stag party over Christmas. A stag party during a once in a hundred years pandemic.

Between stags, horse trainers, shoppers, holiday makers, parties, etc etc we are in the state we are in, just have to stay at home to stop the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Childish stuff from you, you'd want to be a moron to think that everyone isolated for the required time after coming home

Same here, I know of 2 family members (not my family) who flew in from London and were in McDermotts in Doolin 3 hours later and spread it to several of their own family by the time they went back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

When my brother came to visit in the summer he rented an apartment for two weeks before he met up with us (cos my dads on chemo). Sincerely doubt many went to that expense or hassle.

Not into the name and shame idea cos when I'm applying for a job I don't think my mistakes should necessarily follow me around for years after, we all **** up, but I'm all for slapping people with a few more fines for being reckless.

Members of my extended family are still going back and forth to their apartments in Spain. They're very much in the risk category too. Can't stop some people..

You're equivilating a few people you know who broke the restrictions and applying it to everyone without any actual evidence of them doing so - it's like me saying that all Chinese people run take-aways because the only Chinese people I know do so.

You're then making the leap that people who came home for xmas to spend some time with family are the same as a professional horse trainer who wantonly travelled from Ireland, didn't isolate in the UK as he was supposed to - then put many of his fellow professionals and their livelihoods at risk by doing so.

He then travelled back to Ireland and did the same thing. Do you not see that the two things are not the same?

Childish stuff from you, you'd want to be a moron to think that everyone isolated for the required time after coming home

Excuse me, but I wasn't the person who made the sweeping generalisation :rolleyes:

You're equivilating a few people you know who broke the restrictions and applying it to everyone without any actual evidence of them doing so - it's like me saying that all Chinese people run take-aways because the only Chinese people I know do so.

You're then making the leap that people who came home for xmas to spend some time with family are the same as a professional horse trainer who wantonly travelled from Ireland, didn't isolate in the UK as he was supposed to - then put many of his fellow professionals and their livelihoods at risk by doing so.

He then travelled back to Ireland and did the same thing. Do you not see that the two things are not the same?

Don't forget that he lied on a questionnaire as well

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't forget that he lied on a questionnaire as well

ah sure Cheltenham must be coming up soon again for those people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where have all the recent posts gone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where have all the recent posts gone?

They got deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Trouble brewing.....

Trouble brewing.....

What date?

Trouble brewing.....

Gotta love these nice people who take it upon themselves to speak for an entire town...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Gotta love these nice people who take it upon themselves to speak for an entire town...

What incident/s does this refer to?

Plenty houses and Airbnb's full in doolin for the weekend, its turning into a farce at this point, people are openly flouting restrictions at this stage

Plenty houses and Airbnb's full in doolin for the weekend, its turning into a farce at this point, people are openly flouting restrictions at this stage

I believe it, was on the way down from Dublin airport this morning and expected to meet at least a couple of check points - had my essential paperwork ready - between the airport and Ennis but not one. Guards on the N4 outside Lucan but simply standing around in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭eggerb

Lovely weather this weekend in the west. Is there much evidence of holidaymakers from Limerick / Dublin visiting Co Clare with the inter-county ban still in place? Haven’t been myself but just wondering what’s it like on the ground ....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

eggerb wrote: »
    Lovely weather this weekend in the west. Is there much evidence of holidaymakers from Limerick / Dublin visiting Co Clare with the inter-county ban still in place? Haven’t been myself but just wondering what’s it like on the ground ....

Ah yes, heard more limerick accents than local accents in Kilkee today. Limerick is relatively close though, so not much of an issue.

• Advertisement

eggerb wrote: »

I went for a cycle yesterday and came in from Inagh to Ennis, road was fair busy heading west but the vast majority of cars were CE regs I noticed.

Advertisement