Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus Clare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Deagol wrote: »
    Have you a rebuttal to my point or just enjoying sitting up on that high horse?

Here's your chance to save the world - I will revisit my plan to go out for a cycle if you can explain how my actions could possibly in any scenario spread this disease. I'm feeling pretty confident you won't be able to - and using the parent / child 'because it's against the rules' doesn't count.

You fall off the bicycle for example. You have to be taken to an A & E. Some innocent bystander has to help you, even if yu get a puncture. all travel caries risk. just because you have to travel to a supermarket and take a risk doesn't mean that adding a small risk to that is acceptable. If everyone is the sole exception, there are no exceptions.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Garda checkpoint in force for the last few hours just outside Kilrush on the Kilkee road just at the doonbeg turnoff. Apparently much larger numbers heading in one direction than the other, you don't have to guess which!
    The vehicles should be confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Have you a rebuttal to my point or just enjoying sitting up on that high horse?

Here's your chance to save the world - I will revisit my plan to go out for a cycle if you can explain how my actions could possibly in any scenario spread this disease. I'm feeling pretty confident you won't be able to - and using the parent / child 'because it's against the rules' doesn't count.

oh for Gods sake, I cant believe I've bitten but I cant help myself

cause its against the rules is exactly the reason it counts.

If every clown in the country decided to follow only those rules that suit them there would be anarchy.

'Shur I'm well able to drive with two pints'
    'Shur dont I pay enough tax anyway, this cash in hand job is harming no one'
    'Shur the local sergeant is my brother in law, he'll quash those points'

All cut from the same selfishv 'me féin' attitude that permeates the country.

Im alright jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

You fall off the bicycle for example. You have to be taken to an A & E. Some innocent bystander has to help you, even if yu get a puncture. all travel caries risk. just because you have to travel to a supermarket and take a risk doesn't mean that adding a small risk to that is acceptable. If everyone is the sole exception, there are no exceptions.

That's a nonsensical argument- there is zero difference between me having an accident inside or outside a 2km zone of my house. If I have an accident 1.9km's from my house or 9.9km's away it makes no difference.

In the case of a puncture, I have repair kit with me. For more serious breakdowns though you may have a point - I would be left with 2 options.

1) Ask the Mrs - zero risk in that. But if she's at work I have to wait which may not be realistic OR
    2) Walk home. 2km's is doable but not 9km's.

That was the reason I posted to see if there was any angle I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately I might not be able to go cycling now :( Thanks :( I've been stuck here for almost 3 weeks now and the thought of getting out was only thing keeping me from being totally miserable .....

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

anyway Im out

A famous Mark Twain quote comes to mind

• Advertisement

mitresize5 wrote: »
    oh for Gods sake, I cant believe I've bitten but I cant help myself

cause its against the rules is exactly the reason it counts.

If every clown in the country decided to follow only those rules that suit them there would be anarchy.

'Shur I'm well able to drive with two pints'
    'Shur dont I pay enough tax anyway, this cash in hand job is harming no one'
    'Shur the local sergeant is my brother in law, he'll quash those points'

All cut from the same selfishv 'me féin' attitude that permeates the country.

Im alright jack

My point went zooming straight over your head..

mitresize5 wrote: »
    anyway Im out

A famous Mark Twain quote comes to mind

You mean you can't win the argument or make an intelligent post so you'll just resort to insults? Very grown up of you - but it's ok, I've already figured out who the actual adult's are on the thread.

Come to a discussion board to discuss things rationally is my idea. If you just want to moralize or lecture others maybe it's not the right place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Got this from a friend this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Nearest large supermarket to us is 16km's away - we obviously have to go there once a week to get essentials that our local small shop doesn't stock. There I would be interacting with hundreds of other people, in the queue's outside, touching goods others may have picked up and browsed earlier, touching trolleys, door handles at car park etc etc at the checkout etc.

This is acceptable according to the rules.

Yet going out on my own cycling in my locality isn't? If you cannot understand the point of which one of those two scenarios is by far the most likely to spread a disease then it definitely isn't my intelligence that you should be questioning.

I dont wish to argue but consider this point.
    Ive noticed that Some Cars are travelling much faster now as the roads are quiet . If you are out for a cycle and through no fault of your own you get hit by a car. God forbid obviously. You then are taken to a full ICU and take up a bed through no fault of your own . Separately your relative contracts Covid and is taken to ICU fighting for her life. Theres no bed. Its full. Shes older than you. Youre younger. A choice is made.
    This is why we stay at home. So those who have no choice can survive the virus. So we can let others live by choosing actions that keep us out of hospital.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

juneg wrote: »
    I dont wish to argue but consider this point.
    Ive noticed that Some Cars are travelling much faster now as the roads are quiet . If you are out for a cycle and through no fault of your own you get hit by a car. God forbid obviously. You then are taken to a full ICU and take up a bed through no fault of your own . Separately your relative contracts Covid and is taken to ICU fighting for her life. Theres no bed. Its full. Shes older than you. Youre younger. A choice is made.
    This is why we stay at home. So those who have no choice can survive the virus. So we can let others live by choosing actions that keep us out of hospital.

In fairness all that can happen when going for a walk/cycle with 2km of your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mrsoundie wrote: »

I hope someone gets into serious trouble for this threat to property.

508837.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought about the sign and I figure it was somebody who made it, put it up, took a picture, shared it and took the actual sign back down.

Then let it share and share on social media to get likes and shares. If it's real and exists then I'm sure the sentiment and delivery of the message isn't what the rest of the community would agree with.

People in Kilkee were resentful enough of outsiders even before this virus started. Not surprising it is breaking out into civil war now between the locals and the outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I regularly visit Kilkee. beautiful place. Business owners constantly complaining of lack of business. This sure won't hep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Saw that last night, seems many kilkee people are sharing it in at least partial agreement.

Personally, I think it's extremely over the top, while the entire travelling to kilkee at the moment pisses me off, messages like this will help to decimate tourism.

Glenomra wrote: »
    I regularly visit Kilkee. beautiful place. Business owners constantly complaining of lack of business. This sure won't hep.

Quite a number of the business owners in Kilkee are obnoxious. They should look in the mirror for the cause of lost business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

mrsoundie wrote: »

The image looks fake. Does not look like a sign stuck on the wall. I’d say someone is just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

Nearest large supermarket to us is 16km's away - we obviously have to go there once a week to get essentials that our local small shop doesn't stock. There I would be interacting with hundreds of other people, in the queue's outside, touching goods others may have picked up and browsed earlier, touching trolleys, door handles at car park etc etc at the checkout etc.

This is acceptable according to the rules.

Yet going out on my own cycling in my locality isn't? If you cannot understand the point of which one of those two scenarios is by far the most likely to spread a disease then it definitely isn't my intelligence that you should be questioning.

Maybe time to have a deeper think and not just you but many of us. You are entirely correct about the exposure involved in going to a big supermarket. Small local shops in many cases have proved great at getting more products in if they are requested and they are sure they will sell them. Even the more obscure baby formula can be ordered by them. And maybe it's a good time for us to learn to curb our need for the more luxurious of the items that we have become so used to. A lot of us did that when the crash came in 2008 but got pretty much right back on the pig's back within a few years. This pandemic won't be something that allows us to climb back on the ould pig for a long time, if ever. Certainly, life will be very different even for those lucky enough to survive with family intact. Heart goes out to those who are losing family members every day, often without the chance to hold a hand. Have a family member fighting it in the UK and every ping of the phone would make your heart stop. Hard times. I hope you find a way to do something to replace the long cycle. A bit of gardening, painting, cleaning, exercising at home and keeping in contact with people through phone and Zoom etc., can make a routine in the days when working from home is not too onerous. Wishing you the best and sorry for being sharp earlier. I'm working on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As Zoom was just mentioned for keeping in touch I thought to mention here that I tried with some elderly relatives but they failed to install Zoom correctly or run it.

I began to use this
    https://meet.jit.si/<myroom name inserted here>

..... I just sent them the link to click on and the required password, and they had no problem clicking on it to get a video chat going.

Just thought it might be useful for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone living in Lahinch? any influx? guards about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

fryup wrote: »
    anyone living in Lahinch? any influx? guards about?

I do.

It's quiet still. Gardai are very visible. Stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Lots of Gardai in to and out of Ennistymon, including to Lahinch and also lots of new occupancy of holiday homes in Liscannor / Clahane this weekend ...

Whatever the ins and outs and scars of local media battles, it would be nice if the local media could find a way to acknowledge what Domhnal Slattery and Avolon have done in the past week and continue to do.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-aircraft-leasing-company-raised-350-000-for-ppe-shipment-1.4227432

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

textiles wrote: »
    Lots of Gardai in to and out of Ennistymon, including to Lahinch and also lots of new occupancy of holiday homes in Liscannor / Clahane this weekend ...

That's odd because I spoke to someone (on the phone) living in Liscannor yesterday and he said there were relatively few holidaymakers arriving or arrived into the area.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You mean you can't win the argument or make an intelligent post so you'll just resort to insults? Very grown up of you - but it's ok, I've already figured out who the actual adult's are on the thread.

Come to a discussion board to discuss things rationally is my idea. If you just want to moralize or lecture others maybe it's not the right place?

If you go 2 km, you may pass a certain amount of people per km. Call it x per km.

2km cycle. 2x people who could infect you, or you could infect.
    10km cycle. 10x people who could infect you, or you could infect.

You can say you're not sick. You could wear a mask. Doesn't change the above.

Please reconsider your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

Beautiful day today and I have noticed a change. Some of the neighbours have had visitors today. Cars arrived and plenty of chatting outside without social distancing. They were not relations.

Some neighbours also stopped their cars outside my property and we have had chats over the wall. Plenty of distance between us so probably ok but this is the first day this is happening since start of restrictions.

I just got the feeling that we are coming close to the end of people accepting the restrictions. I reckon the current date of May 5th is the latest possible date this can go on for.

The Mister Nice Guy attitude will have to change.The military should be on the streets putting a stop to that nonsense.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have cause to pass by a virus testing centre in Ennis regularly which was supposed to be in action from 8am to 8pm and unless they have changed to dropping people down from silent airplanes under cover of darkness, there is little or no testing going on there. Thought the reagent had become available again about a week ago and testing was to be increasing??????? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MarkR wrote: »

They were only arrested because they refused to turn back.

Advertisement