Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

L-M wrote: »
    Some great offers there at the minute and if you can get the car you want in stock, used are making big premiums as they’re in short supply.

To shorten, if you can get exactly what you want, in stock and be on the road in the next week or two, I’ve never seen a better time to buy/sell.

Next year is complete crystal ball stuff
    Hey L-M, Which offers (I mean manufacturer offers) you think are good at the moment? Like most would have a trade in (161 Superb) to factor into the equation.
    Is the 2% VAT reduction from September going to do much for buyers / sellers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭edjkdkjdhjkd

Looks like used car market is starting to crash, know plenty of people who have managed to negotiate 15-20% discounts on used cars over the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Looks like used car market is starting to crash, know plenty of people who have managed to negotiate 15-20% discounts on used cars over the past month.
    Not sure but I keep reading articles that used car prices are going up. But yours and my car trade-in value always goes down

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I know a few people who bought 4-5 year old cars in the past month and they got the usual bit off the asking price but not noticeably more than pre-covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a bit skeptical about whole crash. My friends buddy is independent dealer in Co. Cork and he can't keep his stock at all. Still getting cars in UK, but he is now trying to source some in Ireland too. Most of his lot is now filled with crappy trade ins, which most of them being flogged off to lower tier traders. The change in people buying habits too, they want good spec cars, not Paddy spec, silver fridges.
    People were not spending money, because they had no money, they could not physically spend it, because nothing was open.

Don't understand me wrong, when you and me will go buy a car from some trader, he will give you lowest ball trade in offer, while crying how covid made his business unprofitable and he had to downgrade to do his shopping in Dunns now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Unless the car was over priced in the first place there isn’t a person in the country getting 15-20 percent off a used car.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Any benefit to buying a new car in cash at this time? No trade in, thinking Toyota
    Have heard a lot of non fact based opinions about forecourts being full of new stock that wasn't sold during lock down, and end of year coming so dealers looking to negotiate, but as I said, this is milkman/postman opinions versus someone in the industry speaking from experience. Tempted to get the boat as well as UK prices on new cars seem to be more competitive at the minute based on some email inquiries

narodvale wrote: »
    Any benefit to buying a new car in cash at this time? No trade in, thinking Toyota
    Have heard a lot of non fact based opinions about forecourts being full of new stock that wasn't sold during lock down, and end of year coming so dealers looking to negotiate, but as I said, this is milkman/postman opinions versus someone in the industry speaking from experience. Tempted to get the boat as well as UK prices on new cars seem to be more competitive at the minute based on some email inquiries

Benefit or not, you should just go "**** it, whats the worst that could happen" attitude and poke a few dealers. As in all areas some dealers doing well, others not so much, and you can get lucky by being there at the right time and dealer having a right car in the yard that they need to push it out.

Depends on what you want, I know numerous manufacturers couldn’t produce for a few months and then over sold in July and August.

Basically, anything that you would typically get a rental car of, Renaults, Small cars like Polos etc there’ll be a load of around and deals to be had.

The nicer stuff then there’s very little around and none coming through till later in the year.

Remember, sales are down 30 percent because the rental market collapsed and we missed 12 weeks of sales, Actual retail sales to Joe Public are the same if not up.

L-M wrote: »
    Depends on what you want, I know numerous manufacturers couldn’t produce for a few months and then over sold in July and August.

Basically, anything that you would typically get a rental car of, Renaults, Small cars like Polos etc there’ll be a load of around and deals to be had.

The nicer stuff then there’s very little around and none coming through till later in the year.

Remember, sales are down 30 percent because the rental market collapsed and we missed 12 weeks of sales, Actual retail sales to Joe Public are the same if not up.

This is true though, if you are in the market for fridge, aka 4 wheels, and a shell, then you are in a sweet spot. As rental market shat itself during covid and even biggest rental companies have issues to offloading their current stock. So new stock is on hold. You could get a really good deal on a fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What examples were these?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

narodvale wrote: »

By way of an update. We test drove on Saturday and there were 2 of the make and models we wanted in stock. We were offered an immediate discount of 2k with no haggling down to 31k. We want a different colour and some slight mods which apparently will take a while due to supply from manufacturer. Once the dealer follows up and we can nail down price I’ll call around and see if there is flexibility anywhere else. They were very pleasant to deal with.

Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Looking at a relatives car tonight, 2012 Yaris 82k km slight scratch on passenger door €5k, seems a bargain what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Got €1000 taken off a 20k 2017 car yesterday that i test drove

I'm still considering it

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Got €1000 taken off a 20k 2017 car yesterday that i test drove

I'm still considering it
    Are you trading in a car? If not then you could squeeze a bit more when you visit second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Seems new car registrations improved? but still down 4.2% compared august last year
    The Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) today released their official new vehicle statistics. New car registrations for August were down 4.2% (4,875) when compared to August 2019 (5,088). While registrations year to date are down 28.6% (78,920) on the same period last year (110,527).

call for reduction in vrt
    now is the time for a significant reduction in Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). This would enable thecar market return to normal sustainable levels that would not only save jobs, but increase overall tax take and help renew the Irish car fleet, reducing both the age of the fleet and emissions from transport.”

https://www.simi.ie/en/news/reduce-vrt-save-jobs-in-the-motor-industry

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Is it usual course to bargain with a dealer, and if so, what would be the typical discount that they would offer, e.g. if buying a car for €25K?

Depends on how the car is priced. You might get nothing, you might get 500, you might get a grand.

Edit it’s certainly not unusual, it’s completely normal. For that reason used cars are inflated to allow for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

I need to trade in an 11 year old car in December. Is there any benefit to waiting until January?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An 11 year old car is going to be worthless to a dealer whether you trade it in now or in January to be honest. Try selling it yourself in the meantime and then negotiate a better deal buying your next car without having a trade-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Had hoped to check out a few cars later this week. With restrictions back I'll be knocking that on the head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Sorry lads, just seen this thread now ... I’ve been moping around thinking of buying a car for well over a year, both here and Uk and find that the cars are all gone up to mad prices now... so sorry that I didn’t buy in March while in Uk as same kind of machines now going for way more ... I’m looking in the 2015 -16 years (most machines prior to this hit with stupid nox )... is it just me finding this or is it the type machines I’m looking at? I’m looking at suvs predominantly

SUVs and crossovers are trendy so demand and prices remain strong. If you cannot find one within your budget either here or in the UK for a year then you might have to rethink does your criteria fit your budget.

bazz26 wrote: »
    SUVs and crossovers are trendy so demand and prices remain strong. If you cannot find one within your budget either here or in the UK for a year then you might have to rethink does your criteria fit your budget.

They fitted in my budget more last year and that’s what has me wondering .... why and how... they’re now older and we are in middle of pandemic... why are people willing to spend more at a time of uncertainty ... anyways Just needed something nice with a big boot and abit of oomph ...if not possible I’ll wait until it is next year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

LillySV wrote: »
    They fitted in my budget more last year and that’s what has me wondering .... why and how... they’re now older and we are in middle of pandemic... why are people willing to spend more at a time of uncertainty ... anyways Just needed something nice with a big boot and abit of oomph ...if not possible I’ll wait until it is next year ...
    how much of a change did you notice in terms of price hikes here and in UK ?
    as SUV types seem always to fetch premium depending on spec etc, but then again your not buying new for the year you outlined, so def interesting to see how much price difference there is now compared to like back of Feb/March.

as in Ireland there can be seen a lot more SUV cross over types nowadays, maybe smth to do with general construction boom while its still going on.
    as realisticly yes your correct given uncertain times, then off course theres less sales this year compared to any others, so in theory shouldnt be much of a shortage for new ones, but then again if someone sees that and they have cash at hand prob they see buying older is better option then new, thus creating demand where before it wasnt there so much.

scamalert wrote: »
    how much of a change did you notice in terms of price hikes here and in UK ?
    as SUV types seem always to fetch premium depending on spec etc, but then again your not buying new for the year you outlined, so def interesting to see how much of hike did you notice.

Depending on model, anything from 2-5k pounds in Uk, if not more. In regards to Irish prices..they were already at crazy prices so couldn’t measure that accurately

On the topic of Irish prices ... does anyone try sell their own car anymore privately ? Looking on done deal at moment and vast majority is being sold by dealers

Yea in regard to the spike in demand... maybe that’s it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Depending on model, anything from 2-5k pounds in Uk, if not more. In regards to Irish prices..they were already at crazy prices so couldn’t measure that accurately

On the topic of Irish prices ... does anyone try sell their own car anymore privately ? Looking on done deal at moment and vast majority is being sold by dealers

Yea in regard to the spike in demand... maybe that’s it...

out of my knowledge range really for SUVs but 2-4k doesnt seem drastic then again just basing that on terms you can have 2wd or 4wd that makes massive difference at least here in Ireland that adds that immediate premium.

as for done deal general rule of thumb is never to buy antything over 5-10k private, given if you dont know the car inside out its a hard loss if getting a lemon. where with dealerships theres tiny bit of comeback.

Not everyone has financial uncertainty during this pandemic. For some people they still have their job except they are working from home more.

Actually as a result of the pandemic sales of used cars has increased as per this and importing thread as less people feel safe using public transport so they have bought/upgraded their car. Demand influences prices. Also access to the UK used car market will most likely be more prohibited next year due to less value as a result of a no deal Brexit. This will influence used prices here too as you no longer have cheaper options from the UK

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not everyone has financial uncertainty during this pandemic. For some people they still have their job except they are working from home more.

Actually as a result of the pandemic sales of used cars has increased as per this and importing thread as less people feel safe using public transport so they have bought/upgraded their car. Demand influences prices. Also access to the UK used car market will most likely be more prohibited next year due to less value as a result of a no deal Brexit. This will influence used prices here too as you no longer have cheaper options from the UK

Nox has a lot of the cheaper options from Uk already screwed. Only alternative is to try import an older petrol suv with manageable tax here but can't think of any really.... well 3litre options anyways .. would pay up to a grand tax per year if had to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because buying a 4-5 year old car in a financial crisis is somewhat easier than buying a brand new one! More demand without increased supply can lead to former prices. In general, the U.K. secondhand market has been great value at 3-4 y/o, ie just off first PCP. Reduced ability to get a new car means these are not going back for resale.

Advertisement