Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Buying from local main dealer now just to avoid any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

is that still the case after today?? things getting strict

It’s “click and deliver” so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah I was enquiring about a 520D from a main dealer and he basically said no test drive. Can send a video of the car, agree a price, pay for the car and he would drive it to my house and collect the trade in.

Mad times really.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah I was enquiring about a 520D from a main dealer and he basically said no test drive. Can send a video of the car, agree a price, pay for the car and he would drive it to my house and collect the trade in.

Mad times really.

Mad times, but for the safety of the staff mainly and the business I think it’s working very well.

You’d be surprised the amount of arseholes that came in for “a look” over the last lockdown, bringing wife and kids, no a mask in site. Wouldn’t mind trying to accommodate people who are actually buying cars but unfortunately everyone has to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I'm interested in a car that's based in Cavan, I'm up on a 2 hours drive away.
    It's not a dealer either.
    I want to go buy it but I'm just afraid I'd get stopped on the way.
    I doubt there's any leniency when you're going to buy a car is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some say that taking a 2 hour road trip to buy a car would be deemed essential travel if you need a car but the AGS might not see it that way if your stopped at a checkpoint 2 hours from your home. I don't think anyone here can make the choice for you whether you want to make that trip or not, if that's what your asking.

Well garages are closed to the public and only allowed offer “click and deliver” so I can’t see how your journey would be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Donedeal seems to have a poor choice of private sellers at the moment given the current circumstances. Main dealers are always dearer obviously but what discount could you expect?

Theres always wiggle room on the price but now more so than ever?

Why do you think there is more discount now more than ever? The option to import from the UK has just got more expensive due to VRT changes and Brexit so rules out importing for most people. This means their choice may be limited to buying what's here, supply and demand dictate prices and discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Daniel1986

What difference does it make if will get into my car and drive to my local dealer or to the dealer that is 3h away from me? Lockdown is now extended I need to purchase a new car ASAP, this situation is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Looking to change car myself at the moment and see something local (main dealer 7km away from me) that I might be interested in. Have not contacted them yet but theres not a chance in hell that im going to part with 15grand and not even test drive the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Dealers in NI are letting you test drive no bother, notably the larger ones in Belfast, Portadown etc.

Just go and give it a try, if you;re stopped you;ll be asked to turn around and go home, no big deal.

If you're a pr*ck and resist or refuse you'll be fined. Don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My daughter needs to change her car in the next 4 weeks, so we've been looking online at used, private mostly.

I'd prefer to buy from a garage tbh, but how are people buying cars without seeing them in the flesh: as we all know, the camera is an awful flaterrer..............things like car park dings, or wheels needing a refurb. Maybe even crap brand tyres.

Has anyone 'click & collected' and wasn't happy, or had to have the seller fix/amend etc ?

And that's before we come to the method-of-payment part...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

galwaytt wrote: »
    My daughter needs to change her car in the next 4 weeks, so we've been looking online at used, private mostly.

I'd prefer to buy from a garage tbh, but how are people buying cars without seeing them in the flesh: as we all know, the camera is an awful flaterrer..............things like car park dings, or wheels needing a refurb. Maybe even crap brand tyres.

Has anyone 'click & collected' and wasn't happy, or had to have the seller fix/amend etc ?

And that's before we come to the method-of-payment part...........

Paid a deposit on a car and had it delivered, bought on the description and a video, bought on the basis if it was not as described deposit paid in advance would be returned.

The car has obviously had poor damage repairs with a misaligned wing, dealer returned the deposit claiming not to have noticed the misaligned wing and off they went.

Bit awkward for all parties, you must have your wits about you, also the car was wet which is an ideal way to sell it as all marks and scratches are disguised.

The dealer wasted his time and mine, the search continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

so what are the legal rights of a purchaser if doing click and deliver?

I am about to purchase but the car is 3 hrs away in a main dealer and they have said they will deliver on a truck and take my trade in away at the same time

Do we have a 'cooling off' period or return to seller if its not as described or change of mind within 14 dyas etc

Are we covered under The Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU (CRD), as we are buying online or over the phone without the option to inspect the goods before purchase?

For your own sake and hassle, when the car is delivered make sure you give it a good once over, drive it etc as you normally would do.

Irrelevant of your rights, you don’t need unnecessary hassle.

Take your time and don’t be rushed once it lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Interesting one this, going for a car from a dealer in Dublin. I was told I'd have to come to the garage to collect as I need to sign the finance documents in person and they have to be scanned there and then. Was told they would give me a letter outlining this to show at checkpoints but feel like I might get fined?

Dont know whether to leave it off or not. A friend mentioned he had to collect a car in Wexford a few weeks ago and showed the letter stating he needed to sign documents and the guards let him through no bother, but Im guessing it depends on the guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Interesting one this, going for a car from a dealer in Dublin. I was told I'd have to come to the garage to collect as I need to sign the finance documents in person and they have to be scanned there and then. Was told they would give me a letter outlining this to show at checkpoints but feel like I might get fined?

Dont know whether to leave it off or not. A friend mentioned he had to collect a car in Wexford a few weeks ago and showed the letter stating he needed to sign documents and the guards let him through no bother, but Im guessing it depends on the guard?

This is an interesting question. I was going to go view a car next week but it's outside my 5km.

Can buying a car be classed as essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭User1998

Entirely up to the Garda who stops you

Well garages are supposed to only be offering click and deliver so no is the answer.

Will you be turned around!? In all likely hood, no.

• Advertisement

Nobody here can answer that question correctly. Ultimately it would be up to the Garda at the checkpoint you might encounter rather than randomers on boards.ie. You might get away with it within your own county but driving half way across the country for one might be stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ks_2020

Been in contact with a dealer up north, they said no bother to an appointment as they're running on an appointment only basis. Have my official essential worker letter so rang both citizens information and the local garda station to ask the question. Both agreed being an essential worker (the key point here) and needing a car is essential so I should be fine to go but again ultimately depends on the Garda at the checkpoint as its not officially a reason to go past 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Decided to sell my own car (either private or trade in), I have it ready for ether (taxed, serviced and NCT) it seems to be taking more and more money as things seem to go wrong with it, and have also found a car in a dealership that I like.

My concern though, is we're in lockdown, is it worth forking out 25k for a car that you can't really do too much with for the next few weeks.

Is it better to hang on and wait until Mid March?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm thinking a lot of people are in the same boat.

Many would usually upgrade this time of year, but we're in lockdown, so hopefully there's a glut of cars next month.
    Seems like a lot of hassle selling a car right now.

Remember you probably won't be doing much with the car for the rest of the year. My milage for 2020 was half of 2019

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I'm thinking a lot of people are in the same boat.

Many would usually upgrade this time of year, but we're in lockdown, so hopefully there's a glut of cars next month.
    Seems like a lot of hassle selling a car right now.

Remember you probably won't be doing much with the car for the rest of the year. My milage for 2020 was half of 2019

In fairness I don't do that many miles anyway, I can walk to the office and my gym is in the same are and the Tesco is also within 2k.

My intention is to get a comfortable car that will encourage me to drive more and go to more places. rather than "get a cab to a boozer".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I traded mine in and bought a newer car a couple of weeks ago from a main dealer but Im still driving to work everyday, 70km round trip, so it was an easier decision for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Apologies if this is a repeat question in here (went back a few pages....)

I am very pregnant with a 3 door hot hatch that has a teeny boot, car is just not appropriate for a baby.

Anywho found a garage inside our 5k, went though the whole rigmarole with the sales girl, put the finance application through, all ready to go and then she announced that I needed to put down a €500 non-refundable purchase deposit for permission to visit the dealership and that the garage would be fined 8k if they were caught doing test drives...

So, if I pay the €500, test drive the car and then hate it, that's it, I lose €500. The only way it's refundable is if the car is not as they described.

I'm a bit of a nervous driver so deffo need to feel safe in whatever car i'll be driving this baby around in, is this actually how they should be operating or is it a heavy sales tactic?

Like, i'd gamble maybe up to €100 on it, and surely that would qualify me as "not a tire kicker" but €500 is a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

LolaJJ wrote: »

I am very pregnant with a 3 door hot hatch that has a teeny boot, car is just not appropriate for a baby.

Anywho found a garage inside our 5k, went though the whole rigmarole with the sales girl, put the finance application through, all ready to go and then she announced that I needed to put down a €500 non-refundable purchase deposit for permission to visit the dealership and that the garage would be fined 8k if they were caught doing test drives...

So, if I pay the €500, test drive the car and then hate it, that's it, I lose €500. The only way it's refundable is if the car is not as they described.

I'm a bit of a nervous driver so deffo need to feel safe in whatever car i'll be driving this baby around in, is this actually how they should be operating or is it a heavy sales tactic?

Like, i'd gamble maybe up to €100 on it, and surely that would qualify me as "not a tire kicker" but €500 is a lot

I'd steer well clear and find another garage. Find one that will allow home delivery or home test drives.

Nope, the garage I'm dealing with a bringing the car to my place on Saturday, they are also within the 5k so not an issue. NO chance would I be paying a 500 deposit... just to try the car.

• Advertisement

Do not pay €500 or even €1 to that crowd of chancers. It sounds like it's a gutter tactic to get you to commit to buying a car irrespective of whether you want the car or not in fear of loosing your €500. Utter lowlife scum to operate such a practice, imagine having to go back to them with a problem with the car? Cowboys like these should be shutdown imo.

There are plenty of decent reputable garages that will arrange a contactless test drive and won't take a penny off you to do it.

Advertisement