Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It really makes no sense. I sold a 172 car as a pre Reg, ie no mileage and I’m just after selling the same car now, for €900 less. 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

L-M wrote: »
    It really makes no sense. I sold a 172 car as a pre Reg, ie no mileage and I’m just after selling the same car now, for €900 less. 3 years later.

So the same car now 3 years old sold for 900 euro less than when you sold it the first time?
    That’s phenomenal!
    What was it?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    So the same car now 3 years old sold for 900 euro less than when you sold it the first time?
    That’s phenomenal!
    What was it?

A Polo.

What makes it worse is the person who bought it had just crashed their 172 Pre Reg Polo that they had also bought off me. And we just happened to have one of them traded back in.

In short, the same person bought a car three years apart for €900 less the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Thinking of buying a BMW 3 series or VW CC. Budget will get me 2014 to 2015. Both type of cars are 2L diesel. Never had a diesel.

My questions are: with all the talks about diesel cars is it the wrong time to buy one? Potentially more taxes coming to phase them out completely?

No, drive on.

Also in your budget and requirements you don’t really have a choice. So drive on and be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

lemonkey wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a BMW 3 series or VW CC. Budget will get me 2014 to 2015. Both type of cars are 2L diesel. Never had a diesel.

My questions are: with all the talks about diesel cars is it the wrong time to buy one? Potentially more taxes coming to phase them out completely?

Phasing out ICEs is a long time away. Until the technology and infrastructure is in place that provides a similar experience to ICEs (i.e. go to petrol station and topping up by say 200 miles in a few mins), the Gov can't really tax these out of use. Drive on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Am I mad to be thinking about purchasing now as we go into lockdown? Will dealers be offering discounts to move stock in the next few days or does it make any difference to them at all? Will prices drop closer to Christmas when we hopefully emerge again or is this wishful thinking?

Tristram wrote: »
    Am I mad to be thinking about purchasing now as we go into lockdown? Will dealers be offering discounts to move stock in the next few days or does it make any difference to them at all? Will prices drop closer to Christmas when we hopefully emerge again or is this wishful thinking?

Unless you can find a dealer that’s stuck for money it’s going to be a no.

At the minute stock is very hard to replace and with a brexit etc and the possibility of a small new car market next year it’s a sellers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are dealers open during this level 5 craic? My son needs a car for work, has a deal done with a dealer, but isn't ready to collect until the end of the week. Are they going to be able to open?

Are dealers open during this level 5 craic? My son needs a car for work, has a deal done with a dealer, but isn't ready to collect until the end of the week. Are they going to be able to open?

Im sure he won’t have an issue collecting as the repairs are allowed to stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

Looking to buy, I have my eye on a car but is it worth calling the dealer up today as we go into lockdown tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Bump - is it ok to buy during level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Bump - is it ok to buy during level 5?

Yes absolutely if you like something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Seems more than OK :-)
    New car sales up 6% in October despite Covid challenges
    Registrations down 25% so far this year, driven by collapse in car rental market

New car sales rose 6.24 per cent in October compared to the same month last year. Figures from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI), show 2,315 new cars were registered last month. Total registrations for the year so far stand at 86,870, a drop of 25.2 per cent on the same period last year.

The collapse in the car rental market – down 84 per cent due to the collapse in international travel – has played a major part in this drop. New hire-drive registrations so far this year amount to 2,914, down 15,438 on the same period last year. Traditionally representing 16 per cent of all new-car registrations, but that is now just 3.4 per cent for 2020.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/new-car-sales-up-6-in-october-despite-covid-challenges-1.4397621

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Will many dealers be open to go in and have a look with a view to buying during Level 5? Anybody done this recently?

Not keen on buying without at least sitting the arse in the vehicle even if no test drive allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As per the Government Covid-19 guidelines dealerships are only open for essential things such as servicing and repairs. Alot of them seem to be offering click and collect online sales only but I don't think officially they will be leaving the general public into showrooms under current Level 5 restrictions. Level 5 restrictions finish in 2 weeks time so unless there is another significant spike in cases I'd imagine showrooms will be open again by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Thanks. This "lockdown" is a loada bollix tbh but gonna see if theres a smaller dealer willing to skirt the rules a bit and stay away from the main fellas. Click & Collect might work for a washing machine but who wants to do that with a purchase as big as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭User1998

I walked straight into possibly the biggest car supermarket in Ireland and you wouldn’t even know they were meant to be closed. Had a test drive in a couple of cars as well

Thanks. This "lockdown" is a loada bollix tbh but gonna see if theres a smaller dealer willing to skirt the rules a bit and stay away from the main fellas. Click & Collect might work for a washing machine but who wants to do that with a purchase as big as a car.

I walked straight into possibly the biggest car supermarket in Ireland and you wouldn’t even know they were meant to be closed. Had a test drive in a couple of cars as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Will many dealers be open to go in and have a look with a view to buying during Level 5? Anybody done this recently?

Not keen on buying without at least sitting the arse in the vehicle even if no test drive allowed.

I did the other day, in a main dealer. No issues with test drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The first two I tried last week were only open for service and parts. Luckily the dealer I usually use arranged a test drive and we got a deal done.

Told Gardaí I was getting brakes checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what's the story are all forecourts closed at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

fryup wrote: »
    so what's the story are all forecourts closed at the moment?

Picking up my new car(used) wednesday off a big dealership.
    Havnt test drove it yet but told him I will be on the day before I sign anything.

Think there click and collect only but couldn't imagine to many people buying cars without testing them at least

are they allowed to deliver over 5km limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Can I leave my county to go and collect a new car? The car dealers I've spoken to have said yes, I'd be allowed to and they'd give me some 'paperwork' to show at checkpoints. But I'm not convinced. Anyone know?

The car I'm looking for can't be sourced locally, for context. I'd be looking at a couple hours driving. If not, they can deliver but that will be €€€. I'd hang on until February but there's no guarantee we'll be out of lockdown either.

Technically no you shouldn’t as its non essential. Its up to you to decide weather its worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

User1998 wrote: »
    Technically no you shouldn’t as its non essential. Its up to you to decide weather its worth the risk

Since I posted, a couple of dealers said they'd deliver to me, so i'll just do that instead.

are they allowed to deliver over the 5km limit?

anyone?? please

anyone?? please

Yes

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

is that still the case after today?? things getting strict

Advertisement