Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

LolaJJ wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a repeat question in here (went back a few pages....)

I am very pregnant with a 3 door hot hatch that has a teeny boot, car is just not appropriate for a baby.

Anywho found a garage inside our 5k, went though the whole rigmarole with the sales girl, put the finance application through, all ready to go and then she announced that I needed to put down a €500 non-refundable purchase deposit for permission to visit the dealership and that the garage would be fined 8k if they were caught doing test drives...

So, if I pay the €500, test drive the car and then hate it, that's it, I lose €500. The only way it's refundable is if the car is not as they described.

I'm a bit of a nervous driver so deffo need to feel safe in whatever car i'll be driving this baby around in, is this actually how they should be operating or is it a heavy sales tactic?

Like, i'd gamble maybe up to €100 on it, and surely that would qualify me as "not a tire kicker" but €500 is a lot

Do not do it, I went with my son to a main dealers last week and he let us off in the car he was interested in, he bought the car, there is no good reason to proceed as you have been asked to, don't walk away,
    ..run.

Decided to sell my own car (either private or trade in), I have it ready for ether (taxed, serviced and NCT) it seems to be taking more and more money as things seem to go wrong with it, and have also found a car in a dealership that I like.

My concern though, is we're in lockdown, is it worth forking out 25k for a car that you can't really do too much with for the next few weeks.

Is it better to hang on and wait until Mid March?

I am in the same boat, I sold my own car start of January privately, disliked it so it had to go, now I find cars are gone up quite a bit so I am sitting it out until I see something I like, in the $25k-£35k bracket, I have use of other cars and to be frank only put 5000 miles up last year so no rush.

Slightly off topic but dealers have increased their prices considerably since importation is effectively closed out and new WLTP rates are now in place and frankly ridiculous, I hope buyers are holding out and will try to avoid participating in the Stealers increased prices of cars that were in stock before Christmas, I know I am, like water it will find a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pale rider wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, I sold my own car start of January privately, disliked it so it had to go, now I find cars are gone up quite a bit so I am sitting it out until I see something I like, in the $25k-£35k bracket, I have use of other cars and to be frank only put 5000 miles up last year so no rush.

Slightly off topic but dealers have increased their prices considerably since importation is effectively closed out and new WLTP rates are now in place and frankly ridiculous, I hope buyers are holding out and will try to avoid participating in the Stealers increased prices of cars that were in stock before Christmas, I know I am, like water it will find a level.

Unfortunately the “stealers” aren’t just adding on a 5k profit margin. Stock is limited and we’re having to pay more for second hand stock from the customers as it’s very competitive out there.

Just because you sold your car privately (either under market value or you for a good price for it) doesn’t mean “we” are stealers.

L-M wrote: »
    Unfortunately the “stealers” aren’t just adding on a 5k profit margin. Stock is limited and we’re having to pay more for second hand stock from the customers as it’s very competitive out there.

Just because you sold your car privately (either under market value or you for a good price for it) doesn’t mean “we” are stealers.

Ah not all strictly true, I know of main Dealers that increased almost all stock just as soon as it was evident that imports were for now at least cost prohibitive for a private import, one could say that’s the law of supply and demand but it’s also holding out for the bigger margin, find the sucker that could have bought that same car in December for in the case of a 2019 E Class I was following for thousands less but come week three in January it’s thousands more, the cost of that car to the dealer had not changed since it came into stock before Dec 31st.

The cost to replace this stock has increased, that is a different transaction post Brexit and post start of WLTP changes.

Stealers might be an unfair name but I didn’t come up with it, in this particular scenario it’s profit gouging on existing stock levels held to end of December and quite apt.

As the ‘ in trade ‘ stock pre December is disposed of the newer stock will indeed cost more to the dealer and the consumer.

Well I know loads of dealers that had UK stock that couldn’t afford to register them all before the 31st and the VRT amount jumped massively.

Funny that you mention a 2019 E class, the VRT on those jumped 3/4K. So in fact, the price did increase for them over night

• Advertisement

Well I know loads of dealers that had UK stock that couldn’t afford to register them all before the 31st and the VRT amount jumped massively.

Funny that you mention a 2019 E class, the VRT on those jumped 3/4K. So in fact, the price did increase for them over night

Agree with that 100% however that was not the point, I’m talking about in stock cars pre Dec 31st that were registered on Irish plates in advance of wltp increases not cars post January 1st that had yet to be registered, These price hikes also includes native vehicles in stock pre Dec 31st.

pale rider wrote: »
    Agree with that 100% however that was not the point, I’m talking about in stock cars pre Dec 31st that were registered on Irish plates in advance of wltp increases not cars post January 1st that had yet to be registered, These price hikes also includes native vehicles in stock pre Dec 31st.

I still don’t understand how you’ve been to dealers, see the cars on Irish plates, noted their prices and then checked the same cars in January and they’ve gone up. I just don’t believe it, sorry.

I still don’t understand how you’ve been to dealers, see the cars on Irish plates, noted their prices and then checked the same cars in January and they’ve gone up. I just don’t believe it, sorry.

Some of the cars I looked at in December were 2019 E class Mercedes, I had my car advertised privately and had a list of potential replacements identified, some of these exact same cars are still for sale but at increased pricing.
    It does not bother me what you believe it’s reality,

Separately I have a friend that owns a garage and he has repriced some of his stock to reflect the fact replacing them will cost more, we’ll leave it there, believe whatever you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamieOS

What's the story with traveling to view/buy a car at the moment? Is it completely not allowed or is there some way to get grantee permission by the guards etc?

JamieOS wrote: »
    What's the story with traveling to view/buy a car at the moment? Is it completely not allowed or is there some way to get grantee permission by the guards etc?

There isn’t, the dealer should be able to offer you videos and trade in over phone/email and then offer delivery.

• Advertisement

There isn’t, the dealer should be able to offer you videos and trade in over phone/email and then offer delivery.

Unfortunately it's not a dealer selling it.

Unfortunately it's not a dealer selling it.

Well then the answer is no if you’re to abide by the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'm going to collect a car tomorrow outside my 5k so was doing similar research. There doesn't appear to be a clear rule on this and its probably at the discretion of the Gardai who stop you. To me its an essential journey, I need to get a car and regardless of where I go being in a rural area means I will always be outside my 5k. I bought the car from a dealer who gave me videos, etc but isn't willing to arrange delivery.

I'm going to collect a car tomorrow outside my 5k so was doing similar research. There doesn't appear to be a clear rule on this and its probably at the discretion of the Gardai who stop you. To me its an essential journey, I need to get a car and regardless of where I go being in a rural area means I will always be outside my 5k. I bought the car from a dealer who gave me videos, etc but isn't willing to arrange delivery.

It's not currently essential for me, but will be in just over 2 weeks. My own car is completely dead (headgasket gone and engine seized up), but I've got a work van for the next two weeks. Unfortunately after that I'll be on a bicycle post route for most of the summer and will have to walk to work, which is about 45km away from me, so a having my own car will be necessary to continue working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

how far do you have to travel to see the car?

anyway if you do get stopped just say you have a dental appointment or something similar

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^

how far do you have to travel to see the car?

anyway if you do get stopped just say you have a dental appointment or something similar

Half way across the country unfortunately. It's the only one in the spec/model I'm after. I'd rather not make such a huge purchase and end up being stuck with something that doesn't meet my needs for the next few years. It's a bit of a nightmare at the moment. That's why I was asking about getting proper clearance. It's not like I'm asking for clearance for a house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,206 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not going to get away with saying you have a dental appointment half way across the country. Might as well say it's in Tenerife at that point if your going to try and bluff your way with that story. Give the Gardai a little credit in that they might actually try and verify your claim.

OP, this type of question is asked frequently on this forum and in this thread. Nobody here can advise you as at the end of the day nobody here can give you any answer with any sort of certainty. Ultimately it will be the Gardai you meet at a checkpoint who will have to be convinced your journey is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mun1

Bought a 211 skoda karoq this week. Got good value for trade in (Dacia duster). Provided with video of the new car by dealer and it was delivered by low loader yesterday.
    Bit strange buying the car without a test drive but didn’t mid too much as it a new car. Not sure about buying a used car this way.

Well I just got home. No stops or checks on the way up via train to Portlaoise. I was expecting them to be checking where people were going etc especially on a Friday. I headed back to Cork on the motorway and there was a checkpoint just at Watergrasshill (about 45 km from home). They were diverting all traffic up the slip road to the check point. I was stopped, asked what was the purpose of my journey, explained I was collect my car from a garage and he just waived me on.

As a side note the amount of people on the train either not wearing the mask properly (under the chin etc) or simply taking it off to make a phone call isn't even funny.

As a side note the amount of people on the train either not wearing the mask properly (under the chin etc) or simply taking it off to make a phone call isn't even funny.

Not being smart, but that’s exactly why you’re not supposed to travel, to protect yourself and others from getting Covid. Just because you weren’t stopped doesn’t make it ok. For all you know one of those maskless people could of had Covid

• Advertisement

I think you're missing my point.

What’s the point? That you didn’t get stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭User1998

Covid threads are that way -->

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If you buy a car that has no tax, are you allowed to drive it home with no tax? What do you say if stopped by guards?

timple23 wrote: »
    If you buy a car that has no tax, are you allowed to drive it home with no tax? What do you say if stopped by guards?

Technically you’re actually not allowed to.

If you shower a gard a hand written letter saying you just bought it, 99 percent would be fine. The other 1 percent would give you 10 days to produce tax.

You could meet a complete an utter arse that would impound it, but that’s highly unlikely.

Once it’s insured and NCTd, drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

btw - it that your pet dog? lovely dog

No, it’s actually a “shifty eyes” meme, I think. It’s there 10 years or more at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Did a 10 hour round trip across the country to buy a car yesterday (private sale) and got stopped an hour from home at a checkpoint.
    I explained I needed to buy a car to get to work and let her decide if it was essential or not. (It was from my perspective).

She hummed and hawed a little bit and left me off. If I interpret her colleague's reaction correctly I probably would not have been so lucky with him. He kind of wheeled around away as I said the purpose of my journey and left it to her. So it's probably 50/50 whether you will get fined or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I'm looking to buy a car at the moment and like the look and orice of this car but the price seems too good, should I be wary?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2774122

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,206 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's an undesirable entry level spec Clio with the free flat white paint so the cheapest Clio you could probably buy new at the time. Could well have been a rental car at one point. The majority of them sold would have been the mid spec Dynamique with nicer metallic paint.

Advertisement