Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Thats the crazy thing now. Anyone that gets the regular flu or cost or chest infection is gonna panic themselves and anyone around them. Weird crazy times.

If you have any respiratory symptoms, self isolate for 14 days. If you have symptoms of Covid-19 in particular, self-isolate for 14 days and consult your GP/HSELive for testing. Really simple stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

If you’re reading this and you’re currently in, or have been in a pub today you are a complete and utter selfish c*nt.
    The Instagram narcissist generation folks. All about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

titan18 wrote: »
    To anyone in a pub ATM, you're an absolute assh0le. Grow the fcuk up and follow the advice being given.

They all need to be closed down immediately

Why doesn’t the government temporarily revoke or whatever the term is...suspended alcohol licenses for pubs to encourage force their closure ? If caught breaking the law, a six month revoke of license plus criminal charges. That would make sense no ? Then again, many elected representatives are publicans, have been publicans or are related to publicans and have friends all across the industry too. We would need to be carrying our heads under our arms and sweating profusely out of every orifice before that call gets made...ok stopping sports events and quite rightly but the so called social hubs of communities where people gather often 100 plus per night... in my own area there must be say 20 pubs / clubs that I can think of off the top of my head... the potential for 2500 people up close and personal and interacting in warm, enclosed spaces while under the influence of alcohol doesn’t sound like the brightest idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Geuze wrote: »
    I haven't checked, but I assume pubs are quiet? Trade is suffering?

I am drinking at home, due to social distancing.

I have sympathy with the pubs.
    With a username like that I’d say you’re unlikely to get the beer you like in an Irish pub anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Again, the end game is not to “get rid of this thing”.

The lockdown isn’t to stop the spread. It’s to slow it down to a manageable level, so we don’t all end up getting it at once.

Even a few weeks of a lock down spreads it out so that the hospitals aren’t having to make decisions of who lives and dies, just because there isn’t enough beds,

I understand that but only serious measures will slow it down to a manageable level and my point is these measures are too hard to have for more than a few weeks. A vaccine is a year away at best.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status/1238522055643074561?s=21

There are a few very important caveats that need to be remembered when looking at the age profile of the Italian Covid-19 deaths.

1. Italian Docs have already announced their triage guidelines, those currently on ventilation are those that were deemed fittest. A large cohort of the patients in ICU are at variance with the current demographic of the dead.

2. Those deaths are in addition to the usual daily toll.
    Families have lost loved ones, funerals are delayed, remembrance delayed and many left to grieve alone.
    Not just those bereaved by Covid-19, everyone.

3. Those ICU beds in use, they are blocking lifesaving treatment for other people afflicted by medical emergency and accident.
    The overall death rate in afflicted areas when all causes are combined, will likely be ghastly.

4. Breaking the curve will not reduce the number of infected. It will seriously help in allowing our health services to cope.

We have a huge societal and behavioural change coming our way.
    We can cope, we can be resilient.

Let's hope that this social distancing, doesn't cost us our humanity.

Those dead, those infected and those healthcare workers...
    It's far too easy to think of them as "just numbers".

They are someone's brother, sister, mother, father and so on.
    Let's not fall into the trap of thinking of the %'s of the numbers and taking a Boris type view of this.

The good of the many, may very well outweigh the good of the one, is true enough in most cases...
    But.
    When we forget the value of the one, we lose a piece of our souls.

Surely italys new numbers will drop off a cliff as the lockdown measures get into their 10th and 11th day??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

kingbhome wrote: »
    What happens with internet access for those who need to top up instead of monthly payments if there was a lockdown. Serious question! Internet access is a huge part of people's lives plus to keep in contact with the outside world.

You'll still be alive without the internet

Order a few books online....

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

bekker wrote: »
    Statistics compiled by the HSE show that as of 11am this morning, most of those infected are in the 55-63 age bracket.

The second highest incidences of cases is among the population aged between 34 and 44, followed by those aged 45-54 and 15-24.

Although the number of cases among the over 65s is relatively lower at this stage, those in this category are more of risk of complications.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No it doesn’t but if kids are asked not to play outside then the adults must be asked not to gather in pubs

Yes, I would be asking both groups not to do it. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ITman88 wrote: »
    No one can answer this, we could quiet possibly cripple small businesses for a lost cause

The current efforts are to slow the spread not stop. It can't be stopped right not.

It is about controlling the rate it spreads, get people into good habits to protect the most vulnerable as well as the healthcare system.

There is no vaccine, a large percentage will need to get the virus to build up the immune system whole other groups isolate for longer as they wait out the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Something else I'll add.

The addition of the defence forces to this crisis should comfort people, not frighten them.

The army won't be kicking in doors or confining civilians to their homes, and finally if you're out on the piss this weekend or packing in your local on Paddy's Day then you're a moron.

During the bad snow I was always delighted to have the defence forces out helping us. We're lucky in Ireland that the sight of the army usually makes people feel somewhat safer.

I suspect all the voluntary ambulance services will be utilised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

When developed, tested, approved, mass-produced, and distributed. Most estimates 12-18 months for development. Looks like virus disruption treatments will be faster but still have to follow the same route.

Exactly. Though there are high hopes of a vaccine sooner. If we want to stop this soon we need a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

sdanseo wrote: »
    Government needs to order the closure of pubs. I've chatted to a few people and seen a number of whats-apps tonight and it's quite clear now that people have gone out en masse to drown their sorrows and forget about the whole thing.

They will wake up tomorrow having potentially affected the rate of infection.
    Ah the pub..... the Irish bomb shelters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Pubs in Greystones absolutely packed by all accounts. Sad to see. Selfish action that could literally cost someone more vulnerable their life.

Chances are these somebody is in a pub is thanking this comment and complaining about people being in crowded spaces on Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

When developed, tested, approved, mass-produced, and distributed. Most estimates 12-18 months for development. Looks like virus disruption treatments will be faster but still have to follow the same route.

A fast and reliable test that can detect even at pre-symptomatic stage would be more useful than a vaccine now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

LRNM wrote: »
    Hard to keep up with this thread.

I think it's not fair to bring up a section of society who you might perceive as abusing the health service.

It's a pretty complexed issue and I don't think it's proper to start pointing fingers and discussing it here. Especially since said alleged people are doing the right thing and avoiding the A&E right now.

This so much. We have a saying that people won't go to A&E on a sunny day, but the current crisis is different circumstances.

People are afraid to go to hospital, and the people who genuinely need treatment are generally those who are most reluctant to pick up the phone and call and ambulance or present to A&E in times like this because they're afraid they'll be wasting resources.

Was always the same, sunny day or not.

Still the fact that A/E is practically empty means the messers have left the building also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

voluntary wrote: »
    US markets today are still way higher than after a 2018 mini-crash with no reason.

what do you mean higher ? Which index?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Summer2020 wrote: »
    If you’re reading this and you’re currently in, or have been in a pub today you are a complete and utter selfish c*nt.
    The Instagram narcissist generation folks. All about themselves.

I didn't realise the morality police were recruiting during a crisis. How high does my pedestal have to be before applying to join captain? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

D.Q wrote: »
    LINK

not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I’m guessing no all of the 88 active cases in Ireland are quarantined in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Cw85 wrote: »
    Are you for real? This is boards that person might not be a member of the defences forces for all you know. I'm saying what I heard from two reputable sources I don't know how that's scaremongering of anything its giving people a heads up!!

Our army is tiny. How is this going to be enforced. It doesn't seem believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I didn't realise the morality police were recruiting during a crisis. How high does my pedestal have to be before applying to join captain? :rolleyes:

Grow up ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No, HSE information briefing on TV as seen live. Text cut and paste from II.

Odd that they wouldn't have those stats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fair play to mods. Elbow bump for Beasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If you have any respiratory symptoms, self isolate for 14 days. If you have symptoms of Covid-19 in particular, self-isolate for 14 days and consult your GP/HSELive for testing. Really simple stuff.

I've had a chesty cough for 9 days? No temperature and a minor head cold for last few days Should I have been isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Odd that they wouldn't have those stats available.

Talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Many Hugh Multinational company share prices are getting fcuked

NASDAQ closed at 7874 today. It dropped to ~6200 in 2018 and to ~1200 in 2008 crash.

There's a huge space for further drops. What happened over the last 2 weeks is the top of the iceberg. US is going to get melted with the virus spreading parabolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

niallo27 wrote:
    I understand that but only serious measures will slow it down to a manageable level and my point is these measures are too hard to have for more than a few weeks. A vaccine is a year away at best.

Going to the pub is a nice to have, not an essential. Much like cinema, restaurants, cafes etc. There's no reason they can't not be closed down for the best interest of public safety.

If you can't manage to not go into a pub for a few weeks, you've a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Surely italys new numbers will drop off a cliff as the lockdown measures get into their 10th and 11th day??

For new infections, I'd hope so.
    For deaths from Covid-19, it will take a little longer I think.

The sheer volume of medical resourcing tied up in fighting Covid-19 will raise the mortality across all causes as medical resources are diverted from normal paramedic and emergency care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

@banie

3. Those ICU beds in use, they are blocking lifesaving treatment for other people afflicted by medical emergency and accident.
    The overall death rate in afflicted areas when all causes are combined, will likely be ghastly.

Nobody in the media is highlighting this! Others will die, not from the virus but from not getting care

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement