Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭acequion

Help!! Tearing my hair out here!

I'm trying to correct work which my students sent into google classroom. I created an assignment, had them all submit it there which they did, some typed, some as a photo. Fine but to correct it? As in how to underline mistakes and tick the good things? This is French where there are loads of spelling and grammar mistakes. I see no editing pen there and yes I've clicked into the work. Nothing but some kind of comment box. Fine to leave a comment but I need to annotate the work.

What to do? I've downloaded PDF editor, would that help?

Thanks guys! This is all a million times harder than going to school, teaching and taking home the physical copies where all you need is your trusty red biro! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

acequion wrote: »

I'm trying to correct work which my students sent into google classroom. I created an assignment, had them all submit it there which they did, some typed, some as a photo. Fine but to correct it? As in how to underline mistakes and tick the good things? This is French where there are loads of spelling and grammar mistakes. I see no editing pen there and yes I've clicked into the work. Nothing but some kind of comment box. Fine to leave a comment but I need to annotate the work.

Thanks guys! This is all a million times harder than going to school, teaching and taking home the physical copies where all you need is your trusty red biro! :(

“I hope you are enjoying your extended holidays “

Got it again today from a neighbour
    I’m going to snap soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I teach French as well, as you read the piece, type the correct phrase into the comment box - that's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Just on a similar point I have to say I'm finding this stressful. I'm relatively IT literate... or at least I thought I was until this week! I'm not complaining at all about doing it, needs must and all that but it is galling to hear people comment on teachers having a "handy number" and complaining about us being paid. Let alone the ones who are DEMANDING we make up the "lost time" during the summer. The concept of teachers working from home appears to have bypassed many.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

km79 wrote: »
    “I hope you are enjoying your extended holidays “

Got it again today from a neighbour
    I’m going to snap soon

Smile back and say that you are.

Then get back to whatever you were doing.
    With some people, you will never change their opinions. Why try?!

We've never been in this situation before. There are tedious problems with corrections etc but this situation really doesnt suit anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

?
    All schools are closed next week

I know that, but It's obvious we're not going back on the 29th yknow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I see in Scotland they have axed A-Level and GCSE exams, will be estimating grades. Hopefully this isn't the case here, mock results were dire (282 pts) however been trying my best to put in an effort for the real thing. Is it likely they will announce further plans for state exams next week when they inevitably announce the extension of the school closures beyond the 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

well, when I posted that the leaving cert won't happen, I was scolded for 'needless scaremongering'.

Get real - they're talking months for this virus to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

IF you have a printer and plenty of ink could you print and hand mark, then take a photo and send it back. Sounds mad as I type this but it might be the quickest and best feedback for your students.

ps
    As you can guess I'm not a teacher ! but I do think Teachers are doing a great job through this difficult time. Your efforts are not going unnoticed or without thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

On ipad you could save it as a photo (screenshot) then use mark up (click edit then the three dots for more edit options) to write on the photo. Then save changes. That's what I do for Maths.

There's probably something similar available on other devices?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

zero_ wrote: »
    well, when I posted that the leaving cert won't happen, I was scolded for 'needless scaremongering'.

Get real - they're talking months for this virus to pass.

Things can be put in place to make it possible. Most schools have 'double classrooms' that can be opened up for exam purposes aswell as their halls to aid social separation for the students. No congregating pre and post exams etc

There are a lot of issues and problems to be ironed out, no doubt about it - but Stating the Leaving wont happen at This Stage, is wrong, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ain't a hope schools to re open this side of June

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

I don’t have exam years so maybe my students are still on holidays!

But I’ve only got about 10 responses to any activity/work I’ve provided to them. I know internet might be factor but surely to god they’ve so connection on their phones.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Sorry I can’t directly advise as we use Microsoft 365 but if you put your request into google there are tutorials on YouTube. Loads of good stuff also posted on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

I don’t have exam years so maybe my students are still on holidays!

But I’ve only got about 10 responses to any activity/work I’ve provided to them. I know internet might be factor but surely to god they’ve so connection on their phones.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Similar story here. I had a couple of kids email me at 8.30 last Friday morning wondering what the work was, haven’t heard from them since.

In fairness, it’s similar to class where the same kids are tuned out constantly. Only difference is I can focus on the good ones online rather than constantly giving out to the disruptive kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I teach 3rd class primary. Sent home revision sheets for Maths and some comprehension activities to keep them going along with a few other bits in a folder. If schools are shut for the rest of the year how am I realistically meant to teach/provide work for them for weeks on end or what are we expected to do? All this virtual teaching and using different apps is a bit airy fairy is it not? There is no real way to set up teaching virtually realistically like I see some secondary teachers are doing with their students? How would you even go about correcting anything they do. It depends on them having someone on hand to help with the technology aspect as well as some not even having broadband at all? I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I teach 3rd class primary. Sent home revision sheets for Maths and some comprehension activities to keep them going along with a few other bits in a folder. If schools are shut for the rest of the year how am I realistically meant to teach/provide work for them for weeks on end or what are we expected to do? All this virtual teaching and using different apps is a bit airy fairy is it not? Is this teaching virtually practical really like I see some secondary teachers are doing with their students? How would you even go about correcting anything they do. It depends on them having someone on hand to help with the technology aspect as well as some not even having broadband at all? I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I contacted all parents again today to ask them to ensure their children are doing their work. Ask your management to do the same.
    There is also an issue with Microsoft 365. They have had an increase of 420% since Monday accessing Teams. Their systems are struggling to cope and causing some problems with accessing teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I teach 3rd class primary. Sent home revision sheets for Maths and some comprehension activities to keep them going along with a few other bits in a folder. If schools are shut for the rest of the year how am I realistically meant to teach/provide work for them for weeks on end or what are we expected to do? All this virtual teaching and using different apps is a bit airy fairy is it not? There is no real way to set up teaching virtually realistically like I see some secondary teachers are doing with their students? How would you even go about correcting anything they do. It depends on them having someone on hand to help with the technology aspect as well as some not even having broadband at all? I just don't know.

To be honest, I’d hate if my kids primary school teachers started wanting access to them online. I don’t have the devices for that, or the space to separate them out while I prepare and mark work for my classes. I’m happy with them doing a page a day out of their workbooks in each subject while I’m working, and I’ll listen to their reading when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You can copy and paste into Google Jamboard, and annotate there. It's a bit cumbersome if you're not used to doing things like underlining with your finger on a tablet/phone, and probably worse if you're doing it with a mouse on a computer, but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

To be honest, I’d hate if my kids primary school teachers started wanting access to them online. I don’t have the devices for that, or the space to separate them out while I prepare and mark work for my classes. I’m happy with them doing a page a day out of their workbooks in each subject while I’m working, and I’ll listen to their reading when I get a chance.

100%

I agree, but I've heard some parents complaining that primary teachers are not using 365 etc for a more online experience.
    You can please some of the people......

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Primary Teacher here.

I'm fairly against this online teaching for primary school kids tbh. I commend the initiative shown by teachers but it is pretty sketchy when it comes to GDPR and Data Protection let alone the pressure it puts teachers, kids and most importantly parents under. A word doc of work to be done that's posted on the school website would be my recommendation until we know more and get more info from the powers that be in all sectors.

I'm actually sick to death of seeing these Instagram teachers shoving all these apps and websites down your throat and because everyone is on Facebook and Instagram to try and get updates and whatnot it is hard to avoid it. I know for a fact it is unrealistic in most schools/classes/family homes for that extensive online work to be done.

Seeing these full daily timetables being posted online is a joke, a f*cking joke. Families are up to the walls trying to stay safe looking after a family in a crisis, as well as trying to work from home or still work outside and these teachers have the f*cking cheek to suggest a near full day of activities and a lot of it online stuff. Living in a different planet the lot of them.

I sent my class home with Mental Maths, the SESE books, their core English book and a few copies. Bit of Maths, bit of reading, comprehension questions and creative writing and a bit of Geog/History. We were told to maybe supply a good hour or so of work a day for two weeks for our kids. If they can get a bit of exercise and spend some quality time with family I wouldn't give a damn if the books came back untouched. Priorities. Then you've these clowns with username handles like @msfancypantsteachertwinkl2020 lashing down a 9-5 for 7 year olds. No common sense.

There are some bizarre expectations being set by some teachers. Interestingly most parents I've come into contact in the last week, whether a teacher colleague or an average parent is cursing the thought of having to 'teach' their kids at home and just trying to do a small bit every day. We need to slow down a small bit, it is the first or second day back after the Patrick's weekend break. People are still barely organised for what is going on in the country, let alone ready to sit down and teach their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Coneygree wrote: »
    Primary Teacher here.

I'm fairly against this online teaching for primary school kids tbh. I commend the initiative shown by teachers but it is pretty sketchy when it comes to GDPR and Data Protection let alone the pressure it puts teachers, kids and most importantly parents under. A word doc of work to be done that's posted on the school website would be my recommendation until we know more and get more info from the powers that be in all sectors.

I'm actually sick to death of seeing these Instagram teachers shoving all these apps and websites down your throat and because everyone is on Facebook and Instagram to try and get updates and whatnot it is hard to avoid it. I know for a fact it is unrealistic in most schools/classes/family homes for that extensive online work to be done.

Seeing these full daily timetables being posted online is a joke, a f*cking joke. Families are up to the walls trying to stay safe looking after a family in a crisis, as well as trying to work from home or still work outside and these teachers have the f*cking cheek to suggest a near full day of activities and a lot of it online stuff. Living in a different planet the lot of them.

I sent my class home with Mental Maths, the SESE books, their core English book and a few copies. Bit of Maths, bit of reading, comprehension questions and creative writing and a bit of Geog/History. We were told to maybe supply a good hour or so of work a day for two weeks for our kids. If they can get a bit of exercise and spend some quality time with family I wouldn't give a damn if the books came back untouched. Priorities. Then you've these clowns with username handles like @msfancypantsteachertwinkl2020 lashing down a 9-5 for 7 year olds. No common sense.

There are some bizarre expectations being set by some teachers. Interestingly most parents I've come into contact in the last week, whether a teacher colleague or an average parent is cursing the thought of having to 'teach' their kids at home and just trying to do a small bit every day. We need to slow down a small bit, it is the first or second day back after the Patrick's weekend break. People are still barely organised for what is going on in the country, let alone ready to sit down and teach their kids.

I know more than one parent who have literally set up schools in their houses for their primary school kids. Laminates, posters, lesson plans the lot. I have unfollowed people because my head is melted and I feel inadequate

Meanwhile I’m trying to stop my head case 17 month old from killing himself or his brother, prep/plan/field queries for my students, keep the house running and simultaneously try and do some school work with the five year old. We got one video from the teacher yesterday, that was lovely. Then we got sent six today and I didn’t even manage to get through them on top of the worksheets, handwriting and reading he was sent home with. I am close to breaking point. Please let the primary school kids alone for now. At least until after Easter when everything has become a new routine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

A valid point to be fair
    Not sure why ?

If everyone gets 100% or 0% same thing surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Wow
    The difference is a considerable cohort of people are passing a subject they have done no work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

No, not remotely.
    If they give 100% for the oral, people can pass without even turning up for the written paper. The people in the “it’s my seventh subject, so all I need is to pass” boat can now ignore it completely and concentrate on the other 6, while the people who need it for their course (for primary teaching, for example) can’t.

If everyone got zero for the oral and their whole mark went on the aural and written, everyone still has to work (if they want to pass), so it’s much fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's a difference in points. Especially compared to those who don't do that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

This is just what our experience is.

Our school is just all over the place. Some teachers use the iPads and work is submitted via that and others are all work books and paper.
    So this will impact some subjects more than others. Work is coming through via google classroom and email. I just wish as a parent the email was sent to me also or there was a platform we could log into. Some schools are much more tech savvy and from speaking to some friends they will have an advantage. Some schools are doing live teaching, are available for contact and questions.
    I had some contact today with one teacher and by the sounds of things they are working in the back ground to start proper lessons from Monday. So im hopeful.
    Its a huge learning curve for all.

I just hope there is some scope for kids down the line who have fallen behind and there are exceptions made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭acequion

jrosen wrote: »
    This is just what our experience is.

Our school is just all over the place. Some teachers use the iPads and work is submitted via that and others are all work books and paper.
    So this will impact some subjects more than others. Work is coming through via google classroom and email. I just wish as a parent the email was sent to me also or there was a platform we could log into. Some schools are much more tech savvy and from speaking to some friends they will have an advantage. Some schools are doing live teaching, are available for contact and questions.
    I had some contact today with one teacher and by the sounds of things they are working in the back ground to start proper lessons from Monday. So im hopeful.
    Its a huge learning curve for all.

I just hope there is some scope for kids down the line who have fallen behind and there are exceptions made.

What do you mean "start proper lessons"?

Like a lot of posters I really wish some schools, some teachers and some students and their parents would get a grip!! There is a worldwide pandemic going on which causes fatalities!! God forbid it will be ourselves or any one we know but there is a real danger! But yet you have the crowd whose only concern is to "start proper lessons" :rolleyes:

Like most normal people I'm struggling with this dreadful situation but am still putting in long shifts at the computer trying to reach and teach my students. Far from "proper lessons" but not bad.

I'll also say that with all the bullshyt croke park and extra hours we teachers have been putting in for many years it really is a pity that more emphasis wasn't put on equipping us all with better IT skills. While there was a bit it wasn't near enough.

I'm tired and cranky, it's been a long day but I would hope that this crisis might curb people's excessive demands and expectations and rein in a bit our perfectionist culture.

Rant over!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement