Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fall wrote: »
    Yeah oral exams are cancelled and all students will be awarded 100%.

Doesn't that mean everyone gets an A in JC Art? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

spurious wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean everyone gets an A in JC Art? :)

Only for Orals. And only leaving cert mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Only for Orals. And only leaving cert mentioned.

Yes but isn't JC Art only marked on the practical? There is no written paper afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Everyone just passed languages :) too late to switch to higher level if u were doing pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Will everyone just sit the Higher Irish paper now since they've automatically passed?

• Advertisement

Will everyone just sit the Higher Irish paper now since they've automatically passed?

You’d imagine so. You wouldn’t have to do anything to get 46 points. And in ordinary you’d only get 12 points for doing nothing :)

I don’t know how art works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd have thought doing the orals via Skype or similar would've been a viable option?

NDWC wrote: »
    I'd have thought doing the orals via Skype or similar would've been a viable option?
    Anyone could sit it for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not if you had their principal of teacher to verity their identity at the start of the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Can exempt students sit Higher Irish now too for the guaranteed 46 points??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

It was probably the right decision and of course saves the state money

But it does create a bit of an uneven playing field for those that don’t do languages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Gerry T

km79 wrote: »

But it does create a bit of an uneven playing field for those that don’t do languages

Forgive my ignorance but are their many that don't do languages, I guess Dyslexic students below a certain level would have a waiver but are we talking about many others ?
    Plus Dyslexic students are disadvantaged in other areas, such as the time it takes them to read a paper (question), this isn't factored in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Not true
    This is not the right decision it makes a mockery of a education system.

This will put those that do do languages at a disadvantage as the written papers will be marked very tough.

Where is the equity in all this ? A student who has been diligently preparing for their exam will be awarded the same marks as those who did FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Apparently they cant change. Good thing too.

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Not true
    This is not the right decision it makes a mockery of a education system.

This will put those that do do languages at a disadvantage as the written papers will be marked very tough.

Where is the equity in all this ? A student who has been diligently preparing for their exam will be awarded the same marks as those who did FA.

Such is life.
    I have spent hours and hours over the past few days and nights adapting course content to make it suitable for online delivery. I will continue to do so. Some teacher's wont bother. They will still get paid. Some students will engage. Some will not.
    I do it because I think it is the right thing to do. It is there for all of my students even if they all will not engage. It is also a learning process for myself.
    As it was for those students who diligently prepared for the orals.

And make no mistake there was an economic aspect to the decision too . As there had to be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

But their identity could be verified beforehand and the examiner would be able to see them the whole time via video?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It even creates an uneven playing field for those who do languages ... Irish gets an automatic pass, the others don't.

There was never going to be a perfect decision in the current circumstances, and honestly, from the point of view of of cross-transmission, there's a lot to be said for cancelling the orals.

Simply allocating them an automatic 100% though, especially when that's an automatic pass in one subject ... colour me cynical, but I can't help wondering if Joe McHugh and politics and "let's make them happy" had an undue influence on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Can exempt students sit Higher Irish now too for the guaranteed 46 points??
    You would hope not. Exempt students are already at an advantage due to having one fewer subject to study, or by being allowed to do another subject instead.
    They also haven’t earned any right for it to be assumed they can speak some Irish, since they haven’t done any Irish classes.

It would be very wrong if exempted students get anything for this. It would also, in my opinion, be wrong that students who would definitely have been doing ordinary level be allowed to pass higher level now. Have schools submitted levels yet? If so, students shouldn’t be allowed to move up a level in Irish for a guaranteed pass, except in exceptional circumstances.

It even creates an uneven playing field for those who do languages ... Irish gets an automatic pass, the others don't.

There was never going to be a perfect decision in the current circumstances, and honestly, from the point of view of of cross-transmission, there's a lot to be said for cancelling the orals.

Simply allocating them an automatic 100% though, especially when that's an automatic pass in one subject ... colour me cynical, but I can't help wondering if Joe McHugh and politics and "let's make them happy" had an undue influence on that one.

Saves money too

RealJohn wrote: »
    You would hope not. Exempt students are already at an advantage due to having one fewer subject to study, or by being allowed to do another subject instead.
    They also haven’t earned any right for it to be assumed they can speak some Irish, since they haven’t done any Irish classes.

It would be very wrong if exempted students get anything for this. It would also, in my opinion, be wrong that students who would definitely have been doing ordinary level be allowed to pass higher level now. Have schools submitted levels yet? If so, students shouldn’t be allowed to move up a level in Irish for a guaranteed pass, except in exceptional circumstances.

I do wonder in the litigation culture we live in though will there be cases taken if students miss out on courses.........CAO next year will be messy

• Advertisement

Such is life.
    I have spent hours and hours over the past few days and nights adapting course content to make it suitable for online delivery. I will continue to do so. Some teacher's wont bother. They will still get paid. Some students will engage. Some will not.
    I do it because I think it is the right thing to do. It is there for all of my students even if they all will not engage. It is also a learning process for myself.
    As it was for those students who diligently prepared for the orals.

And make no mistake there was an economic aspect to the decision too . As there had to be

This "too bad, oh well" rhethoric is hardly helpful. I am baffled as to how a teacher could argue that giving 100 % to everyone is ok.

Economics should not have a factor in this. Lest we forget we pay to sit these exams, and there'll be people crying out to examine after the predicted economic downturn.

Must we put a price on the delivery of fairness and equality?

We have put too much work into these exams for us not to be assessed.
    There were ways around this. The SEC can't be arsed to bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

100% to all students in oral exams? I think they should award all students the AVERAGE mark obtained over the previous say 3 years. Imagine?

Thickos = Thrilled

Swots* = Apoplectic

*parents frothing at the mouth on the phone to school and Dept of Education. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It just isn't fair Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Anyone already registered for OL will not be allowed to switch. The Minister expressly said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If the Leaving Cert does go ahead, the 60% required for primary school teaching has just gotten easier for the students this year.

Go do arts and hibernia when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

My school principal notified us that there is talk this morning of primary schools asked to stay open in July to make up for lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's a case of finding a fix that is the best they can, there is no magic button to press.

It's a case of finding a fix that is the best they can, there is no magic button to press.

Of course there isn't but this is a smack in the face to students who have been working tirelessly in preparation for these exams. A mass injustice that I nor my colleagues will not stand for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

zeebre12 wrote: »
    My school principal notified us that there is talk this morning of primary schools asked to stay open in July to make up for lost time.

How would that work though. July provision for example. Parents, and teachers have family holidays booked and paid for etc would a teacher that gives courses eg gaeltachts not go. Summer camps around the country eg Cúl Camps would have to be cancelled.
    Not sure of the feasabitiy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

zeebre12 wrote: »

I'd say there is two chances of that. After three months of social distancing they'll really want to suddenly throw bunches of children together in school!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement