Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Honestly this must be the best April weather wise in many years! It's class.

No April Showers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1130701/

"Blindboy said he has suffered a huge financial loss as a result of Covid-19.

"I was in the middle of a UK tour, and I had to postpone a sold-out gig in London. The British government had not cancelled mass events so I was left with huge financial debt for pulling the gig that morning.

"I was looking ahead to a Canadian tour and gigs in Madrid, Barcelona and Thailand. I have no income for the next six months. It is financially devastating."

That's a positive in my book anyway!! Had a great chuckle to myself reading that. :D

That clown should just disappear

Brendan o connor just played some bizarre clip that blindboy apparently scripted.

Rubbish of the worst kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We should be getting a rebate on the motor insurance. Yay.

We should be getting a rebate on the motor insurance. Yay.

About a tenner I reckon !

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

End of religions as people see it that prayers and sacerdots can't do anything.

• Advertisement

Das Reich wrote: »

I'd say more likely the opposite..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

When out for a walk, people have a lot more time to stop and chat. I am getting to know all the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Das Reich wrote: »

Not sure about that. Could see an increase.

But I know of a church that held a service recently during the lockdown......not a full mass but people in the church for prayers ......this is ridiculous. Very irresponsible of priest.

Lot of oldies unhappy with churches closed for mass.....see it as punishing the elderly as opposed to the reality that it's protecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dr. Bre wrote:
    About a tenner I reckon !

Which will be added on at the next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hopefully people will stop hunting and trafficking the lovely and docile pangolin. Then their numbers will grow and they will become as popular here as digs and cats are. I have always wanted to have a pet pangolin.

• Advertisement

Hopefully people will stop hunting and trafficking the lovely and docile pangolin. Then their numbers will grow and they will become as popular here as digs and cats are. I have always wanted to have a pet pangolin.

Stop hunting and eating wildlife full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Quangos and NGO's that get Money from the tax payers , well they are as good as dead, The Connemara lesbian basket weaving social group will have to raise their own money, Pavee point, sure the travelling community can dip into their pockets to finance this organisation.
    For the first time in a long time a Government will balls will have the perfect excuse to cut loose many leeches feeding on the Tax payer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

You'd want to be some sort of a cnut to take pleasure in a self-employed person losing their income in this manner, at this time.

Save your sympathy. He's not a fan of Boards.ie

94288872_10163618526075089_4865030484062633984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=e2a8s4-eXkMAX9Igv6k&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=06f79dc60241add3b00c4d82ef1a27fe&oe=5ECAD59D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Kerosene down to 34.9c a litre, that's a positive.

Well, if someone is trying to be more negative than me good luck to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Trump press conferences are providing great entertainment

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,469 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When this is all over some of us (well if still around) will be able to regale stories to our grandchildren about how we got through this, overcame a volcanic ash cloud and survived the millennium bug

It will put some of those stories my grandfathers used to relay to me in the shade....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Beasty wrote: »
    When this is all over some of us (well if still around) will be able to regale stories to our grandchildren about how we got through this, overcame a volcanic ash cloud and survived the millennium bug

It will put some of those stories my grandfathers used to relay to me in the shade....

Part of me finds the whole thing fascinating. And I do recognize how lucky I am to be able to view it this way rather than concern for myself or a sick relative, having to work in a compromised position or serious concerns about income.
    We are living through historic times, I already thought it over the last few years with Trump/Brexit, but there have been several recent events which will be shown in archive clips in 50, 100, 200 years from this time and we are living life amongst them.

The horrific footage from hospitals in Italy, the crowds in Cheltenham after the alarm had already been sounded, the mass graves been dug in NY, the protests in Michigan and Texas, the brashness of Johnson saying he was still shaking heads in a hospital 2 weeks before he ended up unwell and in ICU and of course Donald. All of these are historical noteworthy events which students of the future will analyse in the same away as we did when studying the time of the early 20th century and the Spanish flu and the Great Depression.

What I find most interesting is that in 100 years, it will be condensed in to a statement of 100-200 words, something that will nearly be possible to say in a single breath and right now, we don't yet know just what that statement will be until the future plays out and the whole world is literally waiting to see what way it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

jesus H christ!!!!

There's always a god bothered nobody asked for when there's a world problem!!!!

One thing which I hope will be a positive out of this is that it is viewed as a wake up call both in politics in general, and in terms of the acceptability of some candidates for key roles in particular.
    I hope that people will recognize the fact that scientists were warning both about the likelihood of such an occurrence as we are experiencing and the need for adequate preparation and that that will influence policy both in healthcare governance, but also because of the similarity in terms of the need for real and meaningful climate action. We have heard in relation to this point that the economy cannot afford to be impacted, what we have seen is that the economy is worthless if the structure of society can not deal with real world events.

On the topic of the suitability of candidates for particular roles, I hope future generations mock us for the naivety in electing the likes of Trump and Johnson and that electorates will demand leaders who are cognizant of the importance of their role for society and not just the economy, the party or the individual. I'm not naive enough to say this will not happen again, in fact, the cynic in me is already frustrated at the narrative which these guys are trying to create in order to hold on to power, I just hope lessons have been learned.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,469 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What I find most interesting is that in 100 years, it will be condensed in to a statement of 100-200 words, something that will nearly be possible to say in a single breath and right now, we don't yet know just what that statement will be until the future plays out and the whole world is literally waiting to see what way it unfolds.
    They'll all be harping back to WWIII by then - World's population may be back to pre-WWI levels....

@Tellmehow...

How has it affected your view on politics?..Has it just reinforced everything you thought a few weeks ago?

@Tellmehow...

How has it affected your view on politics?..Has it just reinforced everything you thought a few weeks ago?

A few weeks ago, I would have put money on Trump being re-elected. Today, I think it is marginally against him doing so.

On a more personal level, I lean left in terms of politics and was very frustrated with the housing conversation in Ireland, the whole thing around the childrens hospital and the trolleys in A&E issue. But, I can't say I lay the blame for the first or last of these issues 100% on the door of the government. I don't know exactly why there is an issue, and therefore how to fix it or just who is responsible.

While I have never voted for a FG candidate, I have been pleased with how the acting government has acted over the last 6 weeks or so and have been frustrated that a lot of this has been met with negativity from some further left than me who are as bad as FF/FG in being singularly focused.
    Rather than them commending positive steps, and saying that this should be a foundation for future policy, they have continued to use rhetoric in blaming FG/FF for any issues which exist in the first place.
    I have frequently had the thought over the last few weeks, that they don't necessarily just want things to be better, they want to be the ones being seen to make things better. They seem quite bitter that anyone in FG is receiving praise and while I can understand that, I'd prefer if they were big enough to try to build on any progress instead of play the same old arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

A few weeks ago, I would have put money on Trump being re-elected. Today, I think it is marginally against him doing so.

Won a several Hundred on the last election, checked the odd in january and they where terrible for a Trump win, this corona virus has been a blessing, it no doubt will push his odds out and i will pile on.
    People forget very quickly, give them a few more government bucks and they will be on the Trump train, coupled with the obvious that Biden is clearly suffering from dementia, the debates will see Trump destroy Biden.
    If the Dems dump Biden for someone else that is not Bernie, it will be seen by American Dems as a robbery from Bernie, out of principle they wont vote for a undemocratic candidate.
    If they go with Bernie, Trump wins easy, the Dems are screwed, Trump will win big again.
    I expect Trump to announce a huge Stimulus package to get USA working again, Billions if not Trillions will be spent to get the economy going again, everyone will have a job come November, Trump wins big.

Off topic I know, but I genuinely don't understand the obsession of some Irish people dwelling in Ireland with Trump. He's a clown voted for by clowns but in a country thousands of miles away.

Off topic I know, but I genuinely don't understand the obsession of some Irish people dwelling in Ireland with Trump. He's a clown voted for by clowns but in a country thousands of miles away.

Not for me, as you know. ;)

And even before I came to the states, I was very interested in Trump. His desire to bring manufacturing back to the US would have a massive impact on Ireland should he manage to convince some companies to relocate.

Aside from that, Ireland has long paid very close attention to American politics.

Not to mention the current pandemic and the central role in which he is playing in what is a global event.

And most relevantly, Trump is a phenomenon and given the role the US plays in the world, his behaviour is hugely influential on the world stage. I believe that Trump winning was a catalyst to Johnson in the UK and the rhetoric Trump made popular influenced the style of certain politicians who sought high office in Ireland.

To not have an interest in Trump at this point indicates quite a narrow focused mind in my view.

da_miser wrote: »
    Won a several Hundred on the last election, checked the odd in january and they where terrible for a Trump win, this corona virus has been a blessing, it no doubt will push his odds out and i will pile on.
    People forget very quickly, give them a few more government bucks and they will be on the Trump train, coupled with the obvious that Biden is clearly suffering from dementia, the debates will see Trump destroy Biden.
    If the Dems dump Biden for someone else that is not Bernie, it will be seen by American Dems as a robbery from Bernie, out of principle they wont vote for a undemocratic candidate.
    If they go with Bernie, Trump wins easy, the Dems are screwed, Trump will win big again.
    I expect Trump to announce a huge Stimulus package to get USA working again, Billions if not Trillions will be spent to get the economy going again, everyone will have a job come November, Trump wins big.

I think you are wrong in pretty much all of the 23 or whatever unique claims made here.

Not for me, as you know. ;)

And even before I came to the states, I was very interested in Trump. His desire to bring manufacturing back to the US would have a massive impact on Ireland should he manage to convince some companies to relocate.

Aside from that, Ireland has long paid very close attention to American politics.

Not to mention the current pandemic and the central role in which he is playing in what is a global event.

And most relevantly, Trump is a phenomenon and given the role the US plays in the world, his behaviour is hugely influential on the world stage. I believe that Trump winning was a catalyst to Johnson in the UK and the rhetoric Trump made popular influenced the style of certain politicians who sought high office in Ireland.

To not have an interest in Trump at this point indicates quite a narrow focused mind in my view.
    I don't really care what your view is, you don't live in Ireland so honestly your opinion is worthless to me.

I don't really care what your view is, you don't live in Ireland so honestly your opinion is worthless to me.

Good talk.

• Advertisement

Good talk.

Read the thread title. Ye guys voted for the idiot enjoy.

Advertisement