Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Assuming UCD did go to 58* as offers were made today and all on 59 had already been offered a place

Any chance UCD didn't make offers today but maybe will Monday :P has anyone heard of people getting offers for UCD today?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

bella11 wrote: »
    Best to stay in contact with admissions so there’s still a long way to go yet!

There’s hope for us all, you hoping for UL?

Any chance UCD didn't make offers today but maybe will Monday :P has anyone heard of people getting offers for UCD today?

As far as I know they did (unfortunately), are you on 58?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cl101

Congrats all on the recent offers! Was anyone else offered UL today?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

As far as I know they did (unfortunately), are you on 58?

Yep.

• Advertisement

I assume there must be more offers to come next week, like if people choose to accept offers today that leaves their previous offers free and if some choose not to take up the new offer they will be available for someone else? Just my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

wannabeGEM wrote: »
    Really happy for you congrats!! Was your offer from the CAO or UL? keeping my fingers crossed

Thank you! It was from the cao! I got a text telling me to check my account as I had an offer ! I have till Monday to accept ! Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilywhites789

Thanks to everyone that replied earlier to my post! Since some people got offered a place in UCC on 57 maybe there’s still a glimmer of hope! But I wouldn’t be too confident , depends on where I am on the waiting list and if many places become available with people heading to UCD instead😊

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

Got offered UCC on 58 yesterday aswell! Some of my friends are going for UCD and are on 58 but haven't heard of any offers with them.... maybe best to email UCD admissions to check are any offers being made for that score!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hazelnut11

Does anyone think colleges aren't contacting to avoid people pulling out if a lot of it is online, given the high fees and then learning from home? Like UL is starting 31st of August, 2 weeks away tomorrow and no contact....

• Advertisement

hazelnut11 wrote: »
    Does anyone think colleges aren't contacting to avoid people pulling out if a lot of it is online, given the high fees and then learning from home? Like UL is starting 31st of August, 2 weeks away tomorrow and no contact....

Wouldnt suprise me, the lack of communication has thrown me off completely. I wouldnt mid if its online, Id just rather be told sooner rather than later so I can plan accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

Wouldnt suprise me, the lack of communication has thrown me off completely. I wouldnt mid if its online, Id just rather be told sooner rather than later so I can plan accordingly

I think that was the deciding factor for me picking rcsi over ucd in the end. RCSI sent 2 detailed emails with links to more detailed videos explaining exactly how the course will proceed. How much of it will be online and when in-person lectures will commence, if and how social activities will proceed with social distancing etc. Those emails reassured me that they were ready for a covid era teaching. And the emails came within an hour of them releasing the offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

NiceMedBoy wrote: »
    I think that was the deciding factor for me picking rcsi over ucd in the end. RCSI sent 2 detailed emails with links to more detailed videos explaining exactly how the course will proceed. How much of it will be online and when in-person lectures will commence, if and how social activities will proceed with social distancing etc. Those emails reassured me that they were ready for a covid era teaching. And the emails came within an hour of them releasing the offers.

You decided rcsi I take it then? Congrats! Close to home is a great thing. I'm not too worried about slight lack of comms from UCD as start date is not until 21 Sept and already getting on with Garda vetting, registration will happen from 8th, there was a general email on covid/online learning

I doubt colleges are delaying because they think people will pull out, we are like minions there are always more wanting a spot after us.

It is stressful not knowing what is happening two weeks out as I am sure things like accomodation, commutes, work, laptops and in some cases school runs/childcare may need to be sorted. UL seems to be closest to starting could you try ringing with any questions you have?

You decided rcsi I take it then? Congrats! Close to home is a great thing. I'm not too worried about slight lack of comms from UCD as start date is not until 21 Sept and already getting on with Garda vetting, registration will happen from 8th, there was a general email on covid/online learning

I doubt colleges are delaying because they think people will pull out, we are like minions there are always more wanting a spot after us.

It is stressful not knowing what is happening two weeks out as I am sure things like accomodation, commutes, work, laptops and in some cases school runs/childcare may need to be sorted. UL seems to be closest to starting could you try ringing with any questions you have?

I guess its such an unprecendented time, nobody knows what the COVID situation will be like in two weeks.... thats true theres high demand for grad med, but still the financial investment is huge and a lot of people won't like online learning. If I had a job, Id try and defer till next year but then I guess who knows what will happen then....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

hazelnut11 wrote: »
    I guess its such an unprecendented time, nobody knows what the COVID situation will be like in two weeks.... thats true theres high demand for grad med, but still the financial investment is huge and a lot of people won't like online learning. If I had a job, Id try and defer till next year but then I guess who knows what will happen then....

I know, I would much prefer to be face to face too but hopefully only for a semester.

I think some colleges has banned deferrals because of the ones sitting leaving cert exams and trying to avoid deferral en masse.

It's hard adjusting to online learning but try to find your groove. The fees really are terrifying at the best of times ... I keep repressing that particular pressure it's breathtaking! Leap of faith. Investment in yourself, at least you can control yourself and your work effort at med rather than investing in property or stock market. That's what I tell myself anyway!

I know, I would much prefer to be face to face too but hopefully only for a semester.

I think some colleges has banned deferrals because of the ones sitting leaving cert exams and trying to avoid deferral en masse.

It's hard adjusting to online learning but try to find your groove. The fees really are terrifying at the best of times ... I keep repressing that particular pressure it's breathtaking! Leap of faith. Investment in yourself, at least you can control yourself and your work effort at med rather than investing in property or stock market. That's what I tell myself anyway!

yeah thats true, and Id say there will be some face to face teaching also, it can't be all online for a course like medicine. Even a few hours a week would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

Yeah, I did in the end. It was, not to sound cliché, a very difficult decision tbh. There was nothing between the 2 schools. It was a win-win situation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

Has anyone heard anything from UCC in relation to start dates? Think its a bit later than Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

For incoming UL first years, this rough timetable was provided to us a few weeks ago in relation to Year 2. We have yet to get our official timetable (we also start the 31st Aug) but we have been told PBL is face to face for the first 4 weeks and then they will re-evaluate things after this.

Year 1 has always had pretty much the exact same timetable as Year 2, except Year 1 has PBL on a Tuesday and Friday, anatomy on a Monday, and clinical skills on a Monday and Thursday. Half the year have morning classes Sept to Christmas, while the other half have afternoon classes. Then you swap for second term. The core timetable has never changed over the last number of years, except for lectures. Most of SDL/lecture slots in sample timetable will be free time - there are only several lectures max per week.

However, we were given this timetable a few weeks ago so I’ve no idea if it’s still relevant with the Covid cases starting to rise again... but hopefully we will all have socially distanced PBL in person for the first while as planned :) It will make a big difference in bonding with your group, especially for first years!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alexion

Just emailed UCD I’m on 58....they said they’re now full and don’t expect to make any more offers at this time but may do in the first week if people drop out... annoying because if I start UCC I’m there a few weeks before I know it I’ll get a UCD place! It’s all so luck based - random selection is devastating

• Advertisement

Alexion wrote: »
    Just emailed UCD I’m on 58....they said they’re now full and don’t expect to make any more offers at this time but may do in the first week if people drop out... annoying because if I start UCC I’m there a few weeks before I know it I’ll get a UCD place! It’s all so luck based - random selection is devastating

I’m in the exact same position and got a similar email this morning, really disappointed. UCD doesn’t start for another 4/5 weeks so hard to wait around until then in hope of an offer only to be disappointed again

I’m in the exact same position and got a similar email this morning, really disappointed. UCD doesn’t start for another 4/5 weeks so hard to wait around until then in hope of an offer only to be disappointed again

Are you going to go to UCC? It looks like a great programme, just not convenient to leave Dublin at the moment with family circumstances... did thy say it was likely you’d get an offer if someone dropped out?

Are you going to go to UCC? It looks like a great programme, just not convenient to leave Dublin at the moment with family circumstances... did thy say it was likely you’d get an offer if someone dropped out?

No I think I’m going to wait and try again next year, I live so close and just can’t afford to move to cork for 4 years.

Nah, the email was short and matter of fact. Just going to stay in touch with them. If not, I’ll work for the year, save up and try again, but the dream would be to start in September

No I think I’m going to wait and try again next year, I live so close and just can’t afford to move to cork for 4 years.

Nah, the email was short and matter of fact. Just going to stay in touch with them. If not, I’ll work for the year, save up and try again, but the dream would be to start in September

Yeah that’s all we can do is stay in touch with them, sounds like a good plan though, at least then you’ll have a lot saved for it, im trying to be philosophical about it, it’s all you can be when dealing with random selection, it’s not the easiest of systems to accept!

Yeah that’s all we can do is stay in touch with them, sounds like a good plan though, at least then you’ll have a lot saved for it, im trying to be philosophical about it, it’s all you can be when dealing with random selection, it’s not the easiest of systems to accept!

Its such a cruel system

Its such a cruel system

Agreed....needs to be changed. Interviews on the cut-off. Haven’t heard anything from UCC about starting so if it’s online for the first few weeks wouldn’t be that hard to transfer to UCD. Life decided by a Lotto, it’s crazy

Agreed....needs to be changed. Interviews on the cut-off. Haven’t heard anything from UCC about starting so if it’s online for the first few weeks wouldn’t be that hard to transfer to UCD. Life decided by a Lotto, it’s crazy

I emailed UCC about this last week, they give me a vague but complicated answer. Would be worth giving them an email to see if they know any more at this stage

I emailed UCC about this last week, they give me a vague but complicated answer. Would be worth giving them an email to see if they know any more at this stage

I’m surprised UCC have not detailed anything about the course, how it will be done. UL have emailed today. They should be emailing by tomorrow at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

i emailed UCC last week asking if they’ll issue anymore offers and they said they won’t and that i should accept my previous offer from the other college as my final. This was the same day that 57’s got an offer for UCC so i’m super confused? does anyone know if UCC has filled all their places yet?

• Advertisement

hrvo1998 wrote: »
    i emailed UCC last week asking if they’ll issue anymore offers and they said they won’t and that i should accept my previous offer from the other college as my final. This was the same day that 57’s got an offer for UCC so i’m super confused? does anyone know if UCC has filled all their places yet?

That’s confusing! From what I see ucc are 57* at the moment- I think there will be offers issued still as people are always changing their mind re distance and everything. Are you on 57? It’s all so sporadic this year

Advertisement