Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Atchoo22

Hydration wrote: »
    Probably best to email the Revenue CO email address that PAS are using. I can send it to you by private mail if you dont have it. Did they say by any chance when they would get back to you to tell you your result?

Thanks for that, is it the corerevenue email? I didnt ask them at the end of the interview to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Atchoo22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, is it the corerevenue email? I didnt ask them at the end of the interview to be honest.

Just sent you a private message with email address and also another one. It is the address PAS are using for the Revenue Customs Officer competition. Best to contact them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Would an existing CO be able to apply for competition when it comes up again? Lost my faith in mobility and transfer lists so I can't rely on them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dublinfan2020

Who do you e-mail to find out what batch they are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Would an existing CO be able to apply for competition when it comes up again? Lost my faith in mobility and transfer lists so I can't rely on them anymore.

Hi, you can indeed apply for the next CO competition if your an existing CO. I have done this and so have many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭doc22

For CO the mobility lists should be moving quickly if there's vacancies as its 50% from transfer lists . With Open comp if its a large dep in an area even if your top of an open panel you could be offered the same place again if it's losing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

I know a CO who instead of waiting for mobility, applied for the CO Comp last year and was placed in a new area in January, closer to where she lives.

Streamline enough move, fisnished in one job on the Friday and started in the new position on the Monday.

So always worth throwing your name in the hat again when a new competition comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

Anyone know when this weeks interview results are out? any idea of how many positions for the ports- Dublin or Rosslare? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saz1984

If anyone could give some advice for the CO interview Id really appreciate it, especially those who did it? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Saz1984 wrote: »
    If anyone could give some advice for the CO interview Id really appreciate it, especially those who did it? Thank you.

Same for pretty much any grade, know the competencies and have examples of them. Google STAR method to structure your examples but it's not really necessary at CO level to use STAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi, I started on Monday and got paid today, I only received €313.50, does anyone know if this is a full week's pay or does the working week run Thursday to Thursday for example as it seems a bit low and I cannot access my payslip to check as I'm still waiting to be set-up on the system. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi, I started on Monday and got paid today, I only received €313.50, does anyone know if this is a full week's pay or does the working week run Thursday to Thursday for example as it seems a bit low and I cannot access my payslip to check as I'm still waiting to be set-up on the system. Thanks.

I started on a Monday and got paid full week. I'd say you're probably paying emergency tax. It will all even out in a couple of weeks. I know revenue are notified of my wages upto 3 weeks in advance. Just check all your tax credits are allocated to your new job and it will be fine.

Does anyone know if you are assigned to AGS whats the role like and the hours?

Does anyone know if you are assigned to AGS whats the role like and the hours?

It's roles are extremely diverse, but you can expect a lot of filing, photocopying and typing out of minutes/letters/emails and typing up of statements/memos of interview. That said in some areas there is a real opportunity to carve out a role for yourself if you're so inclined.

The hours will either be the standard Civil Service hours 9 - 5.45 mon-thurs and 9 - 5.15 Friday (1h15 for lunch) or more likely flexi - it really depends where you end up. At the moment hours are all over the place due to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Saz1984 wrote: »

I posted this a few pages back, might be helpful.
    Someone else mentioned that the interviewers aren't bothered with STAR responses though.
    The information in the handbook is very helpful.

"If you Google "star" interview responses you might find that helpful.
    A lot of the websites give sample questions.
    Sit down with a pen and paper and have two answers for each questions, learn them and have them ready to roll off your tongue.

An example interview question might be Give us an example that you improved your workplace. Or give us an example of a project you undertook.
    If you were to just say "I revamped our website" that wouldn't be what they're looking for.
    If you applied the star format it'd be something like
    Situation: I recognised the requirement for our website to be updated when customers commented about lack of information and volume of calls increased.
    Task: I undertook to renew the website, got quotes, sourced samples, hired media company.
    Action: Be able to speak about going live with the job (website) and what was involved.
    Result: Be able to speak about positive benefits of your task (new website) eg lesser volume of calls, easier to navigate, increase in online sales.

They won't ask personal questions like are you married, they can't by law.

They might ask something like Tell us about a time you didn't get on with a colleague or Tell us about a time you disagreed with your supervisors decision.
    Another question might be tell us about a customer complaint.
    Just write out the answers in Star format and remember them well.

They might also ask you questions to get an understanding of how computer literate you are.
    Have some answers / situations ready to show that you can create a word document to type letters. Create a folder. Create and use a spreadsheet.Create emails and attach documents.

Have a practise with someone for your online interview.
    Check internet speed / microphone etc.
    It can be hard to not lean into the monitor.
    And try to look at the camera rather than the screen.
    Don't fidget with a pen or paper, if you were sitting in an interview room you wouldn't do that.
    Although I imagine they take that into consideration.

The interview only lasts about 20 mins to half hour and it goes by very quickly.
    Hope that helps"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eco22

celticbest wrote: »

Same happened to me. I had to contact revenue as my tax credits were wrong. Still didn't get rectified after another week and had to call again. Got it all back after 3 weeks. You should be getting just over €400 approx depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

ellejay wrote: »
    I posted this a few pages back, might be helpful.
    Someone else mentioned that the interviewers aren't bothered with STAR responses though.
    The information in the handbook is very helpful.

"If you Google "star" interview responses you might find that helpful.
    A lot of the websites give sample questions.
    Sit down with a pen and paper and have two answers for each questions, learn them and have them ready to roll off your tongue.

An example interview question might be Give us an example that you improved your workplace. Or give us an example of a project you undertook.
    If you were to just say "I revamped our website" that wouldn't be what they're looking for.
    If you applied the star format it'd be something like
    Situation: I recognised the requirement for our website to be updated when customers commented about lack of information and volume of calls increased.
    Task: I undertook to renew the website, got quotes, sourced samples, hired media company.
    Action: Be able to speak about going live with the job (website) and what was involved.
    Result: Be able to speak about positive benefits of your task (new website) eg lesser volume of calls, easier to navigate, increase in online sales.

They won't ask personal questions like are you married, they can't by law.

They might ask something like Tell us about a time you didn't get on with a colleague or Tell us about a time you disagreed with your supervisors decision.
    Another question might be tell us about a customer complaint.
    Just write out the answers in Star format and remember them well.

They might also ask you questions to get an understanding of how computer literate you are.
    Have some answers / situations ready to show that you can create a word document to type letters. Create a folder. Create and use a spreadsheet.Create emails and attach documents.

Have a practise with someone for your online interview.
    Check internet speed / microphone etc.
    It can be hard to not lean into the monitor.
    And try to look at the camera rather than the screen.
    Don't fidget with a pen or paper, if you were sitting in an interview room you wouldn't do that.
    Although I imagine they take that into consideration.

The interview only lasts about 20 mins to half hour and it goes by very quickly.
    Hope that helps"

Also as an FYI know what BCC stands for and does. It seems to be a trick q they throw at people at the end of an interview and it’s so random many people don’t know it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They're still asking that one!

It's roles are extremely diverse, but you can expect a lot of filing, photocopying and typing out of minutes/letters/emails and typing up of statements/memos of interview. That said in some areas there is a real opportunity to carve out a role for yourself if you're so inclined.

The hours will either be the standard Civil Service hours 9 - 5.45 mon-thurs and 9 - 5.15 Friday (1h15 for lunch) or more likely flexi - it really depends where you end up. At the moment hours are all over the place due to COVID.

Thanks so much... do you know if its all office vased or are some working from home due to Covid?

Thanks so much... do you know if its all office vased or are some working from home due to Covid?

I'd expect a new CO to be mainly office based as Garda Staff have been deemed essential and you won't know enough in the short term to WFH. It'll very much depend on local arrangements though. People around you though may be WFH off and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

Apologies in advance if this has been answered before. Just wondering how long after an interview does it generally take to find out if you were successful? Then following that, what are the next steps in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Has anyone heard of any progress in the Dublin panel lately? I'm so curious about if they have gone straight from Batch 16 to Batch 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

Tiafleur wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this has been answered before. Just wondering how long after an interview does it generally take to find out if you were successful? Then following that, what are the next steps in the process?

Wondering the same myself. Anyone know if the interviews are over for Dublin & Wexford ports or continuing into this week and when the results will be out, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

I'm so curious about if they have gone straight from Batch 16 to Batch 19.

I was in the first 20 of Batch 19. Placed and all, just waiting on a start date.
    Tiafleur wrote: »

I found out same day, seems to be one to two days generally. You'll get a batch number and new order of merit, then the next step is waiting to see if your place is reached on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

It depends on where your appointed

Guffy wrote: »
    It depends on where your appointed

Its in AGS. I'd say that will all be office based.... hopefully

Would they contact your current employer before offering you a position? I had to fill out references but just wanted to check they'd offer you a position before they contacted them...??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 G2234567

I got my Garda clearance email back. Any idea how much longer to complete further checks and to get a call for reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jamieon

I have an interview wednesday for a co position in limerick, anybody had an interview for limerick and have any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

jamieon wrote: »
    I have an interview wednesday for a co position in limerick, anybody had an interview for limerick and have any advice?

Hi do you mind me asking what number you are on the panel? Thanks

Advertisement