Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Id seriously doubt any club will accept responsibility for telling members who are over 70 that they cant play when everybody else can. Theyl either open for all with safety measures or they wont open. They might advise the most vulnerable to keep away but they wont insist upon it. Thered be absolute war, in my place anyway.

I assume when restrictions are relaxed people will have to take personal responsibilty

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I assume when restrictions are relaxed people will have to take personal responsibilty

If over 70s are still requested to cocoon then reopening and having large numbers of over 70s playing could result in restrictions being re imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

If over 70s are still requested to cocoon then reopening and having large numbers of over 70s playing could result in restrictions being re imposed.

Over 70's have to live and get exercise too. Is it really right that they cocoon indefinitely? What if a vaccine is never found? The earliest time frame for a vaccine that I am seeing is 18-24 months. The most people that can be on a golf course at any one time is 72 people. Spread over 200 acres I would say the over 70's would be safe enough.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Over 70's have to live and get exercise too. Is it really right that they cocoon indefinitely? What if a vaccine is never found? The earliest time frame for a vaccine that I am seeing is 18-24 months. The most people that can be on a golf course at any one time is 72 people. Spread over 200 acres I would say the over 70's would be safe enough.

I did not say anything about any of the points you raised.I actually think that golf is virtually zero risk if a few basic principles are adhered to.I actually think the highest risk would occur if golfers share transport to/from the course.

I was merely saying that if over 70s are asked to cocoon and you have a situation whereby large numbers are seen out playing golf then it is impossible for the Govt to expect
    adherence to the principle of cocooning among over 70s in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Having listened to Thursdays press conference and subsequent interviews,I'm not holding my breadth on any relaxations of lockdown on May 5th.
    Indeed the Chief Medical Officer was not a happy camper and showed evidence of increased footfall and traffic over the past week. He said that if he had to make a decision yesterday, he would be recommending no change.
    The other expert said our daily new cases is way too high(averaging 500 per day) and would need to get it down below 100.
    Mary Lou McDonald said there should be no relaxation until we are doing 100,000 tests per week.
    We are a long way short of those two targets.
    With the added complcation of over 70'sI think there may be no change until after June bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    The most people that can be on a golf course at any one time is 72 people.

Well that’s not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mary Lou McDonald said there should be no relaxation until we are doing 100,000 tests per week.

That figure of 100k tests per week is so unhelpful. Unless we are setting up to test every person in the state (we're not). setting those kinds of meaningless targets is just silly. If she said we need to be testing all healthcare workers and/or frontline staff, that would be a lot more useful than pulling numbers out of her fundament. Same crap is being churned out in the UK and of course when you drill down, you find that the number of people tested is a subset of the number of tests. We should be testing for a reason, not to meet some dreamed up target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Looks like we are back shortly after May 5th

https://elmgreengolfclub.ie/files/Carr%20Golf_Play%20Safe%20Stay%20Safe_A%20Practical%20Guide_1587723338.pdf

3 balls
    No competitions
    12 minute gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

gypsy79 wrote: »

https://elmgreengolfclub.ie/files/Carr%20Golf_Play%20Safe%20Stay%20Safe_A%20Practical%20Guide_1587723338.pdf

3 balls
    No competitions
    12 minute gaps

Might be a stupid question but where does it say that on the link. Is that a consultancy report commissioned by GUI? I think every sport had to put forward measures to show how they would operate in this environment and that those measures would be scrutinised on risk and societal impact and feasability etc...

• Advertisement

I should add, no guests too

I swear I read mid May somewhere in there

I swear I read mid May somewhere in there
    "Hands may be washed" was the only occurrence of May in that doc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No ‘cocooned’ either.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    No ‘cocooned’ either.

It actually does mention that those cocooned would not be able to play.

However that is only Carr Golf's proposed guidance and it's not an official Govt policy.That said I would anticipate that the GUI will draw up guidelines for all affiliated clubs to comply with on resumption.I would think these GUI guidelines will be agreed in advance with Govt. and adherence to same will be obligatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm hoping last few days a blip and our number go back to previous levels of falling.

Not a hope in hell of no lock down , never mind golf, till our growth rate well well down.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I'm hoping last few days a blip and our number go back to previous levels of falling.

Not a hope in hell of no lock down , never mind golf, till our growth rate well well down.

What blip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There'll have to be an exit or wind-down strategy or at least a mention of it. Whether its with rules or tests or masks or whatever. We can't be sitting at home for months just staring at the numbers every day.

Me personally I have followed lockdown to the tee and will continue to do so. But I can't see the general population going along with say an extension of another 2 or 3 weeks after May 5 tbh. People are people.

It's due to more extensive testing in care homes and other non-hospital locations. Some of these places are very badly managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

As much as I cant wait to be back on the course im not so sure about the restrictions being relaxed. Way too much activity over the past week for a country thats ment to be semi locked down. Another problem could be the travel distance thing, if they lift that people will be traveling the country looking for stuff too do. It sanybody guess at this stage what way things will go. One thing is for sure club houses will be out of bounds for a long while. See what I did there.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

3 balls
    No competitions
    12 minute gaps

It will be great to be back playing but I honestly can't see the problem with playing comps in your own club...sure there is enough apps (etc) to allow non handling of cards etc..Re Golfgraffics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    It will be great to be back playing but I honestly can't see the problem with playing comps in your own club...sure there is enough apps (etc) to allow non handling of cards etc..Re Golfgraffics

exactly, whats the difference between "casual golf" and a stableford competition on a sat morning, just email in your scorecard and one of the staff enters it into howdidido....simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The threats from Dr Holohan and Leo are a little more than finger wagging at a bold child. It will matter little. People are teetering on the brink but importantly are at least continuing to observe social distancing when out and about so we are on the right path to easing restrictions in 10 days time. Otherwise people will flout them and or tension will rise where the army lockdown is the only solution. Very very unlikely. Patience and cop on needed and we will get back to the fairways by mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

morrga wrote: »
    The threats from Dr Holohan and Leo are a little more than finger wagging at a bold child. It will matter little. People are teetering on the brink but importantly are at least continuing to observe social distancing when out and about so we are on the right path to easing restrictions in 10 days time. Otherwise people will flout them and or tension will rise where the army lockdown is the only solution. Very very unlikely. Patience and cop on needed and we will get back to the fairways by mid May.

I hear what your saying but I was out for my daily walk around my home in Saggart/ City West area today and honestly I was going to stop and start videoing as "Essential Travel restrictions and Social distancing are finished"" The amount of cars on the roads, people congregating for a chat, it wasn't seen in the last few weeks and I genuinely think people are pissed off now(rightly or wrongly) that they are taking their chances.I think the last straw was the Keelings workers been flown into the country, this after the Easter weekend influx of British holiday makers off the ferries..Restrictions will be lifted shortly for economic reasons as gov will not be able to sustain the payments they are paying out at present regardless of death rates..

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I hear what your saying but I was out for my daily walk around my home in Saggart/ City West area today and honestly I was going to stop and start videoing as "Essential Travel restrictions and Social distancing are finished"" The amount of cars on the roads, people congregating for a chat, it wasn't seen in the last few weeks and I genuinely think people are pissed off now(rightly or wrongly) that they are taking their chances.I think the last straw was the Keelings workers been flown into the country, this after the Easter weekend influx of British holiday makers off the ferries..Restrictions will be lifted shortly for economic reasons as gov will not be able to sustain the payments they are paying out at present regardless of death rates..
    Yes traffic volumes are up but i feel its not at a level that would not be unexpected given the weather and length of time it has lasted. The vast majority of people are doing the right thing and thats what counts. They are keeping the muppets safe. The keeling farm workers is a red herring, they come here every year because Irish people will not do that job in the necessary numbers to ensure the produce is picked according to the crops planting schedules.Soft Fruit Growers have expressed their concerns to Govt around bringing in fruit pickers in a safe manner. I do agree however that they should have been quarantined by the state for 14 days rather than a looser version by the employer. Any one coming in bar those actively involved in the supply or medical chain needs to be quarantined in my book that would stop a lot of whats left of people travelling between states. New cases will remain high for the next week to 10 days as all the staff and people using residential care facilities are tested. They also need to then be part on an ongoing testing regime. just to also point out that the majority of care facilities remain infection free and the vast vast majority are well managed and all have a very Robust Inspection Routine delivered by HIQA who let me tell you take no ****.

Yes traffic volumes are up but i feel its not at a level that would not be unexpected given the weather and length of time it has lasted. The vast majority of people are doing the right thing and thats what counts. They are keeping the muppets safe. The keeling farm workers is a red herring, they come here every year because Irish people will not do that job in the necessary numbers to ensure the produce is picked according to the crops planting schedules.Soft Fruit Growers have expressed their concerns to Govt around bringing in fruit pickers in a safe manner. I do agree however that they should have been quarantined by the state for 14 days rather than a looser version by the employer. Any one coming in bar those actively involved in the supply or medical chain needs to be quarantined in my book that would stop a lot of whats left of people travelling between states. New cases will remain high for the next week to 10 days as all the staff and people using residential care facilities are tested. They also need to then be part on an ongoing testing regime. just to also point out that the majority of care facilities remain infection free and the vast vast majority are well managed and all have a very Robust Inspection Routine delivered by HIQA who let me tell you take no ****.
    To be fair, the doctors who came in from Australia to help in the hospitals were self-quarantining in their own family homes or other accommodation rather than in some government quarantine centre. There was a whiff of racism about the Romanians coming in and certainly some of the most vociferous were of that ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, the doctors who came in from Australia to help in the hospitals were self-quarantining in their own family homes or other accommodation rather than in some government quarantine centre. There was a whiff of racism about the Romanians coming in and certainly some of the most vociferous were of that ilk.
    Agreed racism another scourge that needs to be confronted everytime it rears its head. Throw them into the Ultra's end at a St Pauli home game they would love that.

12th May we'll be back Golfing with restrictions along the lines mentioned previously.

12th May we'll be back Golfing with restrictions along the lines mentioned previously.

Source. And why not 5th??

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Can't see much change to lockdown restrictions next weekend. Experts have said that two areas need to be improved. Testing needs to be increased and that's not going to happen until 3rd week in May and number of daily new cases needs to be drastically reduced. It was 701 yesterday.
    Headline in today's Indo seems to bear this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Listening to the conversations on this over the last few days, I don't think we've a hope of clubs being reopened. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the relaxations will be very mild. I'd say garden centres will open in some capacity. But after that I'm not sure we'll get much.

Unfortunately I suspect the vast majority of the spread is by essential workers. They're still interacting with loads of people and in the medical profession directly with infected people. So I'd stopping things like us golfing is stopping the spread getting out of hand, but it's bloody frustrating!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement