Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Based on nothing more than the fact that there's been no announcements one way or the other about the lockdown with just over a week to go (previous announcements were made with more than two weeks left), I suspect that the next announcement will be in the good news/bad news category. The good being that some specified restrictions will be lifted and the bad being that they will be lifted at a date beyond the current May 5th deadline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd say construction/DIY/garden centre type places will reopen, that will give a boost to the economy and keep people busy when stuck in the house, everything else as is

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

I'd be thinking myself it will be at least another 2 weeks after the bank holiday before things will open. There is also the added complications of the British lockdown not being reviewed until May 12th which the GUI would need to consider being an all 32 counties governing body. It is complex and something they will need to consider.

I'm non pushed about it myself at the moment. I think I will remain in semi lockdown until mid June regardless of what happens next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    I'd say construction/DIY/garden centre type places will reopen, that will give a boost to the economy and keep people busy when stuck in the house, everything else as is

I had to go to the shop last week, wednesday i think. then went on a spin on the bike on thurday morning. it was clear as day that there is a hell of a lot more people getting out and about & much more traffic on the roads.
    but with nothing new open, i'm not really sure where they are going!!! shops if anything don't even seem as busy and queues (at least when I'm going) are not as long as they were a few weeks ago.

I think it might just be restlessness!

i think the DIY/Garden shops would be a good thing to open, nearly everyone I speak with has a few jobs (mostly painting) that they want to do. it might just keep us all a bit sane for a bit longer!

DIY shops are open since last week are they not? Ive definitely seen some open in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

BoldReason wrote: »
    DIY shops are open since last week are they not? Ive definitely seen some open in my area.
    Not in mine. Went past two today and both were closed. I think Co-ops are open alright and they would have some hardware.

May vary on the store I suppose but there is a co-op and another hardware/wholesaler open near me.

Don't really know what the restrictions are in there but they are definitely open as I have seen people queuing outside both.

We have some open in Athlone but you have to phone in your order and they bring it to the door for you, wouldn't suit me as I have to have a "wander" around

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

BoldReason wrote: »

I know down here some took it upon themselves to open last weekend and were promptly told to close again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I know down here some took it upon themselves to open last weekend and were promptly told to close again.

I would still be in dublin most days and alot of them are open around ballyfermot,crumlin etc.

All independants

• Advertisement

In fairness those DIY shops live for the revenue from the Bank Holiday weekend and now they will lose two in a short period, hurts (yes everyone is hurting but you catch my drift).
    Maybe some bumper reopening sales ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

If the thread is carrying on in this vein, ie off topic, can we at least stop getting everyone's opinion on what will/won't happen on the 5th based on the square root of feck all - it's not remotely interesting.

If someone actually has some data to back up their premonition then by all means let's hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

If the thread is carrying on in this vein, ie off topic, can we at least stop getting everyone's opinion on what will/won't happen on the 5th based on the square root of feck all - it's not remotely interesting.

If someone actually has some data to back up their premonition then by all means let's hear it.

You would have to assume that the govt would have data to back up their future actions on the 5th.

So far its been all about keeping ICU numbers down, R numbers below 1 etc. These were milestones that we were told would have most bearing on any restrictions being lifted. Now it looks like they are making new milestones like weekly testing numbers to be at 100K. Which is simply not achieveable in the short term. So I predict no lifting of restrictions. They will wait to see what others do, how they get on and then follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Par three holes are compulsory call up holes to avoid player congestion

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Government and media are giving us mostly 'expectation management' atm. Means its not going to be much come next week. But they gonna give us something just to keep the lid on. It might stretch to easing travel ban and outdoors like golf being that its fairly low key & risk, but then it might not.

So I'm managing my own expectations as well.

But I said it before. Its been 6 weeks plus and they need to let us know that they're working on more of a plan than just lock down and wait and see. Something a little more proactive.

Ye but the thing with lockdown is ... we're also bored.

I wasn't aware that giving ones opinion on something on a discussion board was prohibited but there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Looking at other European countries that have begun to slowly relax the lockdown, golf is one of the first sports to be allowed again, for obvious reasons. So, hopefully we get going again in early/mid May.

Interesting to note that the long range forecasts are showing early May to be very unsettled. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

bamayang wrote: »
    Par three holes are compulsory call up holes to avoid player congestion

What does that mean?

Expect it means that they dont want people congesting on the tees of par 3s, which inevitably happens as, unlike par 4s or 5s, everybody can (or thinks they can) hit the green. Delays result when they inevitably dont, which leads to build ups behind with all the chipping and putting.
    Letting the group behind hit alleviates this to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Expect it means that they dont want people congesting on the tees of par 3s, which inevitably happens as, unlike par 4s or 5s, everybody can (or thinks they can) hit the green. Delays result when they inevitably dont, which leads to build ups behind with all the chipping and putting.

greebo just lays up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

With elongated tee time’s the need to this may not be too frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ye but the thing with lockdown is ... we're also bored.

If you can link "DIY stores opening" to "What CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?" them I'm all ears.

Otherwise there is both an off topic golf thread and about 9 billion after hours threads for general Corona whataboutery.

I thought I was your on your ignore list anyway? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Course in north Dublin sent out a newsletter saying likely to open in May for thosse not cocooning ie under 70s , suppose it makes sense but a bit harsh on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I’m hoping some people won’t want to risk playing once it’s back opened. So the courses won’t be too packed ..... wishful thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I thought I was your on your ignore list anyway? ;)

Nope, you weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I’m hoping some people won’t want to risk playing once it’s back opened. So the courses won’t be too packed ..... wishful thinking...

If the tee time allocation of 12 mins apart are followed then there shouldnt be too packed. Theory of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I was able to book a game on chronogolf from 5th may.

Wasnt the only one either so have booked for 6th and 7th in case restrictions are lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

londonred wrote: »
    Course in north Dublin sent out a newsletter saying likely to open in May for thosse not cocooning ie under 70s , suppose it makes sense but a bit harsh on them.

I imagine it'll be up to them to not play if they do reopen. I wouldn't expect the club to have to police them.

It is very tough on them that they shouldn't be playing. I know it's for their own good, but it would suck if everyone else is out playing and you're stuck in watching judge Judy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I was able to book a game on chronogolf from 5th may.

Wasnt the only one either so have booked for 6th and 7th in case restrictions are lifted

just tried, course not taking bookings. bugger! thats a great shout. course will book out in seconds following news of a relaxation on the restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement