Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token women commentators in men’rt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Are you really comparing the likes of Alex Scott to a 15 year old boy?

Well until a professional women's team can beat an under 15 boys team...then ya!

By the way..who is Alex Scott!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Watching the Sunday Game now and they have a woman as a pundit. The two other lads on the panel arent even looking at her whilst they talk to eachother about hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Brian Kerr /end thread

Doesn't matter what bits a commentator has, if they're not Brian Kerr then they're not worth listening too. Should be classified as a national treasure at this stage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Would you expect a 15 year old boy or an Amateur to have the same knowledge of the game as a man who played over 20 years at the highest level of the game do you think....should there be more 15 year old's on the punditry couch?

I don't even understand why token presenters are included...wouldn't women in sport be much better served if we could actually watch women play and form a culture around a sport that we don't see every single week of every single year....I'd be all for that!!!

Who is saying 15 year olds should be TV pundits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd even doubt that....women's football is at the under 15 boys level.

It's not fair to suggest that we all ignore that fact, I'd love to see more women's sport on TV but to shoehorn a few token presenters onto a TV show is doing very little...except raise topics like this...we all know they are token.

Is that what women are becoming...mere tokens?

They're not shoehorning them in, they have professional athletes who have played the game.

• Advertisement

Who is saying 15 year olds should be TV pundits?

Exactly.

Sure, weren't RTE trying to get that domestic abuser Han Solo in the their panel for the last soccer tournament. Sure she won a world cup with the US women's team but could she do it on a cold wet Tuesday night against Stoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

My point is men’s physical sport and females physical sport is different, games like darts snooker and horse racing the exceptions, but even then there is no contest really it’s the natural law

A lot of football managers never played high level football. Sarri for example was a banker. There's a difference between playing football and managing it, never mind simply talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

JRant wrote: »
    Sure, weren't RTE trying to get that domestic abuser Han Solo in the their panel for the last soccer tournament. Sure she won a world cup with the US women's team but could she do it on a cold wet Tuesday night against Stoke?

It was domestic violence against two family members and the charges were dropped.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Watching the Sunday Game now and they have a woman as a pundit. The two other lads on the panel arent even looking at her whilst they talk to eachother about hurling

So two people who have played the game versus someone who hasn't, sounds like camoige from the ditch.

Not that it matters in my opinion but 2 different games all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is this a sexist anti woman thread?

It reads very like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My point is men’s physical sport and females physical sport is different, games like darts snooker and horse racing the exceptions, but even then there is no contest really it’s the natural law

Really dodgy phrase that.

Hoboo wrote: »
    It was domestic violence against two family members and the charges were dropped.

Ah, that's grand so. Sure let's have any auld sod on, sure if they give their other half a few slaps, it's grand once charges aren't pressed.

anewme wrote: »

It reads very like that.

This should be the Brian Kerr appreciation thread. Sadly it's morphed into something else, something woejus as the great man would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Exactly.

Exactly what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It reads very like that.

It’s not meant that way, I like women’s sport as I have mentioned above

It reads very like that.

Well it does if you view it through a feminist lens....but then everthing does when you have those lens on.

Look, we all enjoyed watching the Woman's hockey team reach the World Cup final...wouldn't it make more sense to show and promote more Women's hockey on tv it was refreshing to see a sport you don't often see...it was even better to watch the success....to encourage a new league perhaps with it's own culture...

Nobody has an issue with watching or listening to women in sport, we all watched Sonia O'Sullivan, we watch the Olympics etc.

What seems to be happening is that pundits are being recruited because of their genitals not because they can bring something to the discussion....that is neither fair on the individual nor the viewer or women....

The biggest problem women have in sport is that other women don't bother going to the matches...a few token pundits ain't going to change that in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If you haven't played the sport your commenting on you shouldn't be there.
    It's not anti-women.

Well it does if you view it through a feminist lens....but then everthing does when you have those lens on.

Look, we all enjoyed watching the Woman's hockey team reach the World Cup final...wouldn't it make more sense to show and promote more Women's hockey on tv it was refreshing to see a sport you don't often see...it was even better to watch the success....to encourage a new league perhaps with it's own culture...

Nobody has an issue with watching or listening to women in sport, we all watched Sonia O'Sullivan, we watch the Olympics etc.

What seems to be happening is that pundits are being recruited because of their genitals not because they can bring something to the discussion....that is neither fair on the individual nor the viewer or women....

The biggest problem women have in sport is that other women don't bother going to the matches...a few token pundits ain't going to change that in any meaningful way.

You mean when people refuse to accept a sexist lens as is evident here.

I always find it funny on boards when women refuse to be second class citizens that they must be feminists.

Stop trying to pigeonhole people into boxes to suit yourself and your narrative.

If you genuinely appreciate football as a sport , you will know who Alex Scott is, the fact you refuse to acknowledge her, even asking, "who is this", shows your real Agenda.

You mean when people refuse to accept a sexist lens as is evident here.

I always find it funny on boards when women refuse to be second class citizens that they must be feminists.

Stop trying to pigeonhole people into boxes to suit yourself and your narrative.

If you appreciate football as a sport , you will know who Alex Scott is, the fact you refuse to acknowledge her, even asking, "who is this", shows your real Agenda.

What are you on about...agenda...I'm expressing an opinion...it might not be to your taste but that is life.

You brought sexism into this, I understand why, but you are wrong, I accept that calling you a feminist may also be wrong...I do apologise.

I love football as a sport, I had no idea who Alex Scott was until I googled her, I don't have to have an agenda to not know who she is, I don't watch women's football, I tried once but the standard was shocking, the atmosphere was terrible, it just wasn't for me.

As I pointed out, I spent my life consuming sport like others, I vividly remember following Sonia O'Sullivan as she was at the pinnacle of a global sport and she excelled....I am not going to watch women play a sport that does not compare in any meaningful way just like I didn't watch the other male Irish athletes at the time because they were no where near the pinnacle of their sport.

I'd love to see more women's sport on tv...I'd love to see more women go to watch sport...I don't know what more to say!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is the tokenism that would annoy me the most. I love watching women's tennis, it takes less time than the men's matches and it can be more pleasing on the eye. You can have Boris Becker or John McEnroe commentating.

But Tennis is Tennis. It has always mixed well, " mixed doubles" for example.

Pundits are generally employed based on their knowledge and experience of the game at hand. So why are camogie players talking with hurlers'? It is patronising and quite possibly cringey for the woman involved. I don't see them asking Setanta O'Halpín to talk shight about a camogie match every week?

Keep it real.

Equality is an issue that does not need to be forced on everyone. I am all for feminism, but it can go too far sometimes and not always in a positive way. There are far to many extreme feminists who make too much of an issue of things, they are undermining women who are just living their lives and being what they are. Copying what men do is not some sort of leveller or equality barometer. You won't catch me clothes shopping for 5 hours on a Saturday just because women do.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You won't catch me clothes shopping for 5 hours on a Saturday just because women do.

I'm a woman and I've never spent 5 hours on a Saturday clothes shopping.

Why do you believe this is what all women do?

Do believe your statement above is generalising and sexist?

Do you believe women take part is sport to please your eyes?

I'm a woman and I've never spent 5 hours on a Saturday clothes shopping.

Why do you believe this is what all women do?

Do believe your statement above is generalising and sexist?

They also nag a lot, I try not to.

They also nag a lot, I try not to.

So "they"spend 5 hours on a Saturday shopping and nag a lot.

The women in your circle must also be very basic quality like yourself if that's your experience of women,ie, all they do is shop and nag. You should broaden your circle so.

Would you not for a moment consider women are individuals and have their own views and opinions and likes and dislikes or is that outside the remit of someone who accepts they are a complete moran?

So "they"spend 5 hours in a Saturday shopping and nag a lot.

Would you not for a moment consider women are individuals and have their own views and opinions and likes and dislikes or is that outside the remit of someone who accepts they are a complete moran?

Yes there are a considerable amount of women out there who spend their time shopping and or nagging and or both, simultaneously.

You also get women who are into embroidery. That does not mean that I have to be into embroidery to prove I am not a sexist. The fact remains that women and men can have separate interests. There will be occasions when they share interests but it is less common than you imagine.

Fashion tends to be more popular with women than men. That does not make fashion sexist? Even if all the best designers are men:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You haven't even looked up the careers of the women you're complaining about. You say you don't want people hired because of their genitals, as I pointed out before they haven't plucked these women off the streets. Alex Scott had over 100 international caps for England, regardless of the standard of the women's game (which I don't know much about) she has played football professionally and watches football and has an opinion on football that she can back up which is more than you or I can do. Honestly a lad on a couch saying a professional athlete shouldn't be allowed do punditry on her sport because of her genitals is fúcking ludicrous.

Yes there are a considerable amount of women out there who spend their time shopping and or nagging and or both, simultaneously.

You also get women who are into embroidery. That does not mean that I have to be into embroidery to prove I am not a sexist. The fact remains that women and men can have separate interests. There will be occasions when they share interests but it is less common than you imagine.

Fashion tends to be more popular with women than men. That does not make fashion sexist? Even if all the best designers are men:p:p

People with no confidence and poor communication always try to deflect and project their insecurities onto others, like your generalisations here are very telling of you.

Instead of accepting that men and women are individuals with their own opinions, likes, dislikes and opinions, you choose to push that women are all the same, obsessed with shopping, embroidery and nagging.

Because believing anything else questions you on your own shortcomings and inadequacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

anewme wrote:
    the remit of someone who accepts they are a complete moran?

Haha

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You haven't even looked up the careers of the women you're complaining about. You say you don't want people hired because of their genitals, as I pointed out before they haven't plucked these women off the streets. Alex Scott had over 100 international caps for England, regardless of the standard of the women's game (which I don't know much about) she has played football professionally and watches football and has an opinion on football that she can back up which is more than you or I can do. Honestly a lad on a couch saying a professional athlete shouldn't be allowed do punditry on her sport because of her genitals is fúcking ludicrous.

You don't say....

Alex Scott, regardless of the amount of caps she has, wouldn't last a month in the semi pro leagues in the UK, that is Non League Football....she wouldn't last a month....there are about 4,000 professional male footballers in the UK at any given time...not including the Semi Pro leagues, there is probably a few dozen professional female players....do you understand that...a professional women's team has never beaten an Under 15 boys team anywhere...now, do you honestly believe I like pointing that out...it needs to be pointed out to put the level Alex Scott has achieved into perspective.

You are in no position to talk about football if you don't understand the size of the sport and culture you are talking about let alone telling me what I am saying is "f##king ludicrous".

Advertisement