Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1237361566527426560?s=21

It could be spreading like crazy here, and I doubt Blindboy was protected by a plastic bag over his head that had holes in it.

Anyone going to that sh1te could do with being isolated permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

1600, 1700 tests possibly carried out.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1600 - 1700 tests carried out, according to rte news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wasn't there 1 day China announced nearly 15k in 1 day? I think it was when they had changed the criteria for a positive case then had to backdate it. Still scared the feck out of me when I woke up to the news

Yes.

Feb 12th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wasn't expecting us to have tested 1000 people. RTE just said it there. Surely a good sign if we have 1000 tested and only ~30 confirmed cases? Or am I wrong?

RTE have been saying that for about a week. Either nobody is telling RTE that there's been more testing done, or they're fibbing, or... no tests are being done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Over 100 tests carried out daily in Ireland. Are we supposed to be impressed with those figures ?

They've carried out 1000 only.

Those kind of figures does not inspire me. I reckon there are quite of lot of people with CV19 that hasnt been tested .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Spain has forbidden direct flights from Italy since midnight until the 25th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Always find Emma just a bit too excitable in her reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

that's great news

I wish they told us what areas are being tested

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Where is this going? I have the option to work from home is needed, I'm just not sure if I need to yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Relieved it's only 4. However I fear that it'll get higher once Paddy's weekend is over.

Saying that I think the people of Ireland are generally being vigilant - I was in my local gym (small with very few members - only one other person there when I was there) and they had about ten bottles of Dettol spray and cloths around the place with instructions to wipe down any equipment you used before and after use.

Hand sanitiser and wipes in supermarkets.

Parades and flights cancelled. Companies making people stay home.

We're doing what we can.

Edit - I realise it is 10 and I was mistaken with 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Scotty # wrote: »
    Heavy smokers, like the Chinese.

I blame the Marlboro logos plastered all over Ferraris until the 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Where is this going? I have the option to work from home is needed, I'm just not sure if I need to yet?
    Wait and see seems to be the message so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Cw85 wrote: »
    Only another 4 here, all close contact. Still only the two/three community cases so no real spread through the public as of yet. Can see why they are telling us to get imon with our lives.

How do we know? If they're only testing those who had contact and those who've been to Italy and nobody else. We are not really doing many tests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wrote an article earlier today for Irish Tech News on how businesses can prepare for Covid-19. It can be read here https://irishtechnews.ie/preparing-your-business-for-covid-19/ I also did a podcast about how to prepare for remote working in the face of Covid-19 and it can be heard here https://irishtechnews.ie/lisa-murphy-covid-19-remote-working-podcast/ and also iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify and Stitcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Relieved it's only 4. However I fear that it'll get higher once Paddy's weekend is over.

Saying that I think the people of Ireland are generally being vigilant - I was in my local gym (small with very few members - only one other person there when I was there) and they had about ten bottles of Dettol spray and cloths around the place with instructions to wipe down any equipment you used before and after use.

We're doing what we can.

WHERE?? i cant find any

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Over 100 tests carried out daily in Ireland. Are we supposed to be impressed with those figures ?

Those kind of figures does not inspire me. I reckon there are quite of lot of people with CV19 that hasnt been tested .

Who are they supposed to be testing? Do you think they should just pick the first 1000 they see and test them for optics reasons? To be seen to be doing something so that the likes of you are "impressed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Back of the beermat maths would indicate a testing capacity of 50-60 per day on those numbers versus known inbound tests of likely double that!

Take the NAS test total as 80 and hospitals as 60bor so!!

That really highlights an immediate capability gap.

I'm sure one of our medico-scientific heads can correct me on that.
    But.
    From those quick sums on my part, show there is a pile of backlogged tests building up in the system before we got peak outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cw85 wrote: »
    Only another 4 here, all close contact. Still only the two/three community cases so no real spread through the public as of yet. Can see why they are telling us to get imon with our lives.
    Source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

We're doing what we can.
    Are there hand sanitizers again in the shops?
    I haven’t been today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/hopes-rise-over-experimental-drugs-effectiveness-against-coronavirus

This drug is being assessed for use against the virus. They seem to be very hopeful that it will have a good outcome.

The articles says

“Gilead is trying to do two different trials in China, but they’re competing with all these other things going on. They’re actually having some trouble with recruitment now that the case load is decreasing.”

Along with the WHO they are saying that case loads are really dropping, I wonder do the anti WHO and Chinese brigade here think that Gilead are part of the conspiracy to hide numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

if every single person in a country wore masks at all times wouldn't this have a dramatic impact on new cases. not protecting people - but massively reducing infected spreading??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So officially we have the containment phase, the delay phase and the mitigation phase. What comes after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Where can we watch the ongoing briefing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Are we certain it's 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well I'm certain that your feelings are more important than the actual facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

We're doing what we can.
    Where did you get 4 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You don’t think the reason it’s all being linked to Italy is because they are only testing people who have links to Italy? :pac:
    We won't know until they share the genomic data of samples from the patients in Ireland.
    Then they can compare and find out if there is spread also from the US, for example.
    https://nextstrain.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who are they supposed to be testing? Do you think they should just pick the first 1000 they see and test them for optics reasons? To be seen to be doing something so that the likes of you are "impressed"?

What's the likes of me exactly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement