Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone struggling a bit with focus this week? I'm struggling to sleep and worrying a lot from all things family to finances to work. So much uncertainty with this bastard of a yoke.

My focus is shot to bits since the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Currently working for a company considering WFH, I am not as excited by it as many others.

Night shift sitting at home on your own could be extremely tight going!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Anyone struggling a bit with focus this week? I'm struggling to sleep and worrying a lot from all things family to finances to work. So much uncertainty with this bastard of a yoke.

My work concentration is going up and down these days.

I am trying to stay away from corona news tbh, its too much and nothing really new and also contradictory information and fear spreading just do not want to take it anymore,

I am trying to be here and now (however this sounds) and so I feel like inner tension relaxing and then I can work better.

So that's what I'm gonna do.

Perhaps check news once a day and that's it. Or even every second day, if I manage to stay away.

Entire place I work faced substantial salary cuts for everyone for next few months which is a bit concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Entire place I work faced substantial salary cuts for everyone for next few months which is a bit concerning.

I wouldn't take a salary cut outright tbh. If they cut my salary 20%, I'm a day less per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Focus is fine for me, think working helps keeping my normality alive these days. I try not to think about it during my work hours neither (it can be difficult with my close family spread across 3 countries);

then I've strict rules, not minding my family while I work (only one allowed to hang out with me during working hours is our dog).

Besides, since I've found out what is HSEs chosen treatment scheme from last month - I am happier to do my part in it now (for me not knowing what they plan to be doing in hospitals was bit annoying - I can't just trust this system blindly)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anyone got a recommendation of a conferencing tool that'll work for music group rehearsals? Zoom and Skype are too 'half-duplex.'

I've used discord in the past (online FRP), it was o.k. for text never tried it for voice.

Basically, looking for good audio with minimal delays. Video's not necessary.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Anyone any thought on these fold away desks ? looks like they would do a job. I would like the option of taking the desk away at the end of day/week.

https://www.vinehallstore.com/workstation
    https://www.flyingelephant.ie/shop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I wouldn't take a salary cut outright tbh. If they cut my salary 20%, I'm a day less per week.

Most people dont have a choice though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Wasn't until now that i realised how much i appreciated my daily routine.

I'm missing hauling my big fat ass out of bed every day and going to the office. Working from home was great for a few days but I miss the social aspect of going to work. Stopping by my colleagues desks for a chat, coffee with the girls, being able to ask a work question to whomever would listen.

Heck i even miss the pointless meetings. Zoom is great for catching up and discussing the pressing points - but dammit I'd even like to see my boss's whole head right now instead of from the nose up! (I've told him to tilt his screen but the message is just not getting through :D - bless him)

I'm lucky that i really like where i work - we have a strong team.

On the plus side however...

-Lunchtime snuggles with the dog
    -Not "having" to wear a bra
    -Smoking at my desk "Mad Men" style
    -30 second commute from upstairs to my desk
    -The difficult Work-Poo is no longer... erm difficult!
    -I don't have to listen to ya wan *insert annoying co-worker" give out all ****ing day on the phone.
    -****-breaks:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Most people dont have a choice though

Contract! I'd quit before I took a salary cut, and they expected the same work. I'd find a new job.

Contract! I'd quit before I took a salary cut, and they expected the same work. I'd find a new job.

Again if you're in a position to just do that then fair play but a lot of people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If anything I'm working more now as I can't go out with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

jhammer wrote: »
    Anyone any thought on these fold away desks ? looks like they would do a job. I would like the option of taking the desk away at the end of day/week.

https://www.vinehallstore.com/workstation
    https://www.flyingelephant.ie/shop

did you go with any of the above in the end - looking at options myself for office desk at home

whatever76 wrote: »
    did you go with any of the above in the end - looking at options myself for office desk at home

Yeah i got the workstation from here https://www.vinehallstore.com/workstation
    There are cheaper options available but i liked the print finish, takes away a bit of the coldness of the wood. Assembles in under a minute. Wipes clean, very happy with it.

jhammer wrote: »
    Yeah i got the workstation from here https://www.vinehallstore.com/workstation
    There are cheaper options available but i liked the print finish, takes away a bit of the coldness of the wood. Assembles in under a minute. Wipes clean, very happy with it.

cool thanks for that - think my decision is made !!

cool thanks for that - think my decision is made !!

What's wrong with desks from Ikea, you also limited by space ?

- its a personal opinion (as I like Scandinavian design), but the legs on that desk do remind me of a vintage singer sewing machine ... :(

mvl wrote: »

- its a personal opinion (as I like Scandinavian design), but the legs on that desk do remind me of a vintage singer sewing machine ... :(

1 - I needed something that could be put away end of day/week. I have space but two young kids means it can only go in one place away from them.
    2 - I TRY to support local businesses when i can. These companies pivoted away from their usual business to try and survive. Nothing against IKEA, they had good options but at the time they stopped delivering.

there at all sold out/not available ! I may not go for that brand but there are others similar to them out there as well ( ie. easy assemble and disassemble ! ) https://higginsjoinery.com/products/1400mm-work-from-home-desk
    and yes I am limited in space as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

biko wrote: »
    If anything I'm working more now as I can't go out with friends.

We need to all take inspiration from this man/woman he/she or however they identify. :cool:

• Advertisement

there at all sold out/not available ! I may not go for that brand but there are others similar to them out there as well ( ie. easy assemble and disassemble ! ) https://higginsjoinery.com/products/1400mm-work-from-home-desk
    and yes I am limited in space as well.

I got my third station sorted from ikea just last week (got one of those bamboo top tables now, at 115 E; mostly cause I already have other desk types in the house, this may become an arts&crafts table one day)

would suggest having a look at wayfair, for comparison / have quite some offering https://www.wayfair.co.uk/keyword.php?keyword=desks&class_id=

I got my third station sorted from ikea just last week (got one of those bamboo top tables now, at 115 E; mostly cause I already have other desk types in the house, this may become an arts&crafts table one day)

would suggest having a look at wayfair, for comparison / have quite some offering https://www.wayfair.co.uk/keyword.php?keyword=desks&class_id=

ah cool thanks - will take a look !

For anyone needing home office equipment (or meatballs!)....IKEA reopens on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

For anyone needing home office equipment (or meatballs!)....IKEA reopens on Monday.

Where did you read they are opening Monday? I need to get some stuff to make my WFH set up more comfortable but found this on their website under COVID FAQs:

Q: How long will stores be closed?  
    At this time, all stores across the UK and Ireland are closed until further notice. The situation is evolving day by day and we continue to follow it closely in line with government advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I went for one of these - https://folddownpro.com/wall-mounted-fold-down-formica-table/

Not cheap but very solid. Had a look at the ikea wall mounted options but none had mountings the right width apart to be screwed into the joists.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Where did you read they are opening Monday? I need to get some stuff to make my WFH set up more comfortable but found this on their website under COVID FAQs:

Q: How long will stores be closed?  
    At this time, all stores across the UK and Ireland are closed until further notice. The situation is evolving day by day and we continue to follow it closely in line with government advice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/ikea-to-reopen-dublin-stores-from-monday-1.4253268%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Just a warning for people looking at IKEA. If you are able to buy instore, I'd recommend that over online ordering.

I placed an order on 25th March and it's been postponed twice. Due to arrive next Tues but I'll only believe it when I see it. They're still saying no 2 person truck deliveries. Don't know why considering the many couriers I've seen here arrive with 2 in the van.

Also strange stock system as I know someone who ordered in early May, received an email saying the order was cancelled, then the van arrived on a Sunday and delivered the order within 5 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

****ing hell can't believe I wrote that 6 weeks ago. Time is absolutely weird at the moment and flying by. Working from home is going better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am working from just a laptop at the moment but it's getting to the point where i need two screen's

I have 1 monitor and a HDMI to connect to the monitor but i am looking to get connected to two monitors

The laptop only has 1 HDMI portal to link to a monitor so i am not sure how i can connect up to two

Can anyone recommend anything that let's you connect to two monitors from the laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am working from just a laptop at the moment but it's getting to the point where i need two screen's

I have 1 monitor and a HDMI to connect to the monitor but i am looking to get connected to two monitors

The laptop only has 1 HDMI portal to link to a monitor so i am not sure how i can connect up to two

Can anyone recommend anything that let's you connect to two monitors from the laptop

You'll need a laptop docking station to do that.

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-PA5082E-1PRP-Dynadock-Docking-Station/dp/B00CNI5JEO/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=toshiba+laptop+dock&qid=1589528593&sr=8-14 with a Dell Laptop and 2 screens.

Plenty of choice on Amazon but a little pricey - up with cost of monitors. Fortunately my employer allowed me to purchase one and expense it.

Advertisement